Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

DOOM AND GLOOM? BLAME YOURSELVES!

[quote user="kick it off"]Ricardo - Ok if you would rather be in the position of an Ipswich fan then i suggest that maybe you would like to put yourself in one of the local businessman''s shoes after they lost everything due to the scum and their rip-off. I apologise for slightly para-phrasing your comments but the difference was scarce and i think you are being pedantic.

Yes i have watched alot of dross, i also have vivid memories of watching us in the season we came third in the prem. I was there when we drew 1-1 with Bayern to put them out of the cup. i took a day off school to go. 3 Years ago I watched us been Man Utd. 4 years ago i watched a fantastic run of form see us win the title.

I find your tone patronising and i feel you may be severely underestimating my intelligence if you really think i don''t know how poor things are currently.

I understand the severity of the situation, but if you feel that ripping off many local businesses and ruining people''s futures and everything they have ever worked for is both acceptable and a fair price to pay for 20points then i question your morals.

I am a man of conscience and dignity, i appreciate the fact my club are the same. I would rather be in our position.

I hope that you will be eating your words come February the 1st.

I agree the board have been poor. If you want to complain, do it properly, have a protest, get your voice heard. If not then stop using every stick, branch and twig to beat the board with. It won''t get the board out by posting on here will it?

As the phrase goes "put up, or shut up"
[/quote]

I am a man of conscience and dignity, i appreciate the fact my club are the same.

Good for you young man. I applaud your principled stance.

But enjoy your feeling of moral superiority while watching Yeovil or Crewe on a wet Tuesday in November. Safe in the knowledge that all those good folk in Ipswich are really unhappy about watching Prem foofball. How embarrassed they must be to know that their Boards almost criminal behaviour has been rewarded with a £30 million + write off.

If you think moral rectitude and honest dealing will win anything in the world of professional sport then I suggest you chose a different game than English Football to follow. I site Leeds, Ipswich and Coventry as evidence.

As a man of conscience you may in the future have to ask yourself why you did nothing while our beloved club was sold down the river.

Forgive me if Im being ignorant here, but what have Leeds and Piswich won since administration? Certainly no silverware, Ipswich haven''t been promoted since administration, and Leeds are still only 5th in the table after a phenomenal run of form due to the points deduction the bearded con artist got them.Coventry haven''t been into administration, but Ranson''s takeover will take alot from local creditors as i understand it. Again, what have they won? there''s no danger of them winning the league, or even getting near the playoffs imo.I would rather be proud of my club for their stance on this than shamefaced as my friends and family become destitute at the hands of my football club. After all, whilst the three examples you have cited are having better seasons than us. They are still not setting the world alight. I dont think moral fortitude and honour will win us the league. But it did before didn''t it? and isn''t that what supporting a club is about? hopes and dreams?I will certainly not question my inaction at this point in time. As i have said, i don''t support the board. But I''m not doing anything about it, because the timing is wrong and imo we need to be united behind the club right now, not fragmented and divided. I don''t see you doing anything about it, Will you question your own inaction?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]For those of you having a go at Rude Old I think you are not actually reading what he is saying. Those of you who post on here know that I am not a supporter of the board, but as far as the Martin Taylor transfer goes I think the Board have got it spot on. My understanding is that Martin Taylor wants to come to Norwich and does not want to go to QPR which means it does not matter how much QPR offer if the guy has no intention of going there, on the other hand he does want to sign for us and we have submitted a firm offer for him, so now Brum have to decide whether they want to offload Taylor for a fee and remove his wages from the wage bill or pay him to sit on his butt/play in the reserves..........[/quote]

Karen Brady is a tough businesswoman. She knows Martin Taylor has done well by Championship standards and is wanted. She knows Ipswich are doing well but desperately need a centre half if they are going anywhere. She knows Ipswich are about to receive a large cash injection. She knows Ipswich being near to us are close to the position. She knows if she hangs on a bit longer she will get a better bid in cash from Ipswich.

End of story.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="kick it off"]Ricardo - Ok if you would rather be in the position of an Ipswich fan then i suggest that maybe you would like to put yourself in one of the local businessman''s shoes after they lost everything due to the scum and their rip-off. I apologise for slightly para-phrasing your comments but the difference was scarce and i think you are being pedantic.

Yes i have watched alot of dross, i also have vivid memories of watching us in the season we came third in the prem. I was there when we drew 1-1 with Bayern to put them out of the cup. i took a day off school to go. 3 Years ago I watched us been Man Utd. 4 years ago i watched a fantastic run of form see us win the title.

I find your tone patronising and i feel you may be severely underestimating my intelligence if you really think i don''t know how poor things are currently.

I understand the severity of the situation, but if you feel that ripping off many local businesses and ruining people''s futures and everything they have ever worked for is both acceptable and a fair price to pay for 20points then i question your morals.

I am a man of conscience and dignity, i appreciate the fact my club are the same. I would rather be in our position.

I hope that you will be eating your words come February the 1st.

I agree the board have been poor. If you want to complain, do it properly, have a protest, get your voice heard. If not then stop using every stick, branch and twig to beat the board with. It won''t get the board out by posting on here will it?

As the phrase goes "put up, or shut up"
[/quote]

I am a man of conscience and dignity, i appreciate the fact my club are the same.

Good for you young man. I applaud your principled stance.

But enjoy your feeling of moral superiority while watching Yeovil or Crewe on a wet Tuesday in November. Safe in the knowledge that all those good folk in Ipswich are really unhappy about watching Prem foofball. How embarrassed they must be to know that their Boards almost criminal behaviour has been rewarded with a £30 million + write off.

If you think moral rectitude and honest dealing will win anything in the world of professional sport then I suggest you chose a different game than English Football to follow. I site Leeds, Ipswich and Coventry as evidence.

As a man of conscience you may in the future have to ask yourself why you did nothing while our beloved club was sold down the river.

[/quote]

Did not want to post today Ricardo... but seeing the battering that you appear to be getting from certain quarters I thought that I should at least add my two penneth...

The above comment is one of the best that I have seen on here in ages... It is exactly the point that I have been trying to make for so long now.

It is now looking increasingly likely that those of us who have called the last three or four transfer windows correctly will be proved right once more this coming January.

Ah smudger, wondered when you''d make an appearance, seeing how scarce your contribution has been since we have been winning. No surprise it is today when we put in a poor show in front of the sky cameras.You would gain a lot more credibility if you were to post when we were doing well and commend the team than just pop up to criticise when we aren''t.Who knows - more credibility might mean more people turn up to your next protest. Then again, you only need one person to double the turnout of your last solo effort don''t you?Your one-man effort was improvement on the one you did before that, which even you didn''t show up to!Steady progress hey smudge?Never mind - your coherent protest organising skills have at least shown you to be doing something about the situation that we find the club (MOST of us go and watch regularly) in.Why are you defending Ricardo on this point? He didn''t show up to your protest. Surely you of all people should be telling him exactly what he told me about standing by and doing nothing?

What a load of hysteria based purely on speculation. People have picked up on the figure of 1.25m quoted in the press as being QPR''s bid, because it suits their negative view of the board. The other figure quoted was 2.5m for Tiny + Vine, but as that would make it look like Brum just don''t want to sell to us, and therefore our board aren''t at fault, people ignore it.All we know is that Tiny isn''t here, he hasn''t signed for anyone else, and Brum don''t want him. All the rest is pure speculation. We don''t know what we bid, or what QPR bid, or what Brum want.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

Arganth what the hell are you on about qualify what. Even semi pro players get pxssxed off if their clubs lack  ambition, even right down to sunday football players want to win, letting good players leave does not help and if you dont think players discuss it you have a screw loose.

As for the board where are we in the league, how much are we in debt, despite a season in prem, parachute payments, full houses, profit on transfers, we cant afford a centre back we desperately need for a price which is not exactly outrageous.

I rest my case.

[/quote]No, you can''t qualify it then.  Or aren''t.  That chip REALLY is weighing you down.And, no, you don''t rest your case in the slightest.  You''ve made a mistake there.  And passed up on a good opportunity to prove yourself, your point and your strategy for the future.  Because of this mistake, and countless others in the past, I now accuse you of not having the quality of this board at heart, and that you don''t want the board to raise itself to the quality level of WOTB.  I am therefore of the opinion you should now not be given the opportunity to rectify your errors, should stand down and should let somebody else do the job, as the way things are going this board will be at the standard of Canary Corner.

[quote user="Arganth"][quote user="ricky knight"]

Arganth what the hell are you on about qualify what. Even semi pro players get pxssxed off if their clubs lack  ambition, even right down to sunday football players want to win, letting good players leave does not help and if you dont think players discuss it you have a screw loose.

As for the board where are we in the league, how much are we in debt, despite a season in prem, parachute payments, full houses, profit on transfers, we cant afford a centre back we desperately need for a price which is not exactly outrageous.

I rest my case.

[/quote]

i

No, you can''t qualify it then.  Or aren''t.  That chip REALLY is weighing you down.

And, no, you don''t rest your case in the slightest.  You''ve made a mistake there.  And passed up on a good opportunity to prove yourself, your point and your strategy for the future.  Because of this mistake, and countless others in the past, I now accuse you of not having the quality of this board at heart, and that you don''t want the board to raise itself to the quality level of WOTB.  I am therefore of the opinion you should now not be given the opportunity to rectify your errors, should stand down and should let somebody else do the job, as the way things are going this board will be at the standard of Canary Corner.
[/quote]

I will have a pint of what you have been drinking pal, it must be good.

[quote user="Big Down Under"]What a load of hysteria based purely on speculation. People have picked up on the figure of 1.25m quoted in the press as being QPR''s bid, because it suits their negative view of the board. The other figure quoted was 2.5m for Tiny + Vine, but as that would make it look like Brum just don''t want to sell to us, and therefore our board aren''t at fault, people ignore it.

All we know is that Tiny isn''t here, he hasn''t signed for anyone else, and Brum don''t want him. All the rest is pure speculation. We don''t know what we bid, or what QPR bid, or what Brum want.
[/quote]

Quite right BDU[Y]

[quote user="kick it off"]Ah smudger, wondered when you''d make an appearance, seeing how scarce your contribution has been since we have been winning.

No surprise it is today when we put in a poor show in front of the sky cameras.

You would gain a lot more credibility if you were to post when we were doing well and commend the team than just pop up to criticise when we aren''t.

Who knows - more credibility might mean more people turn up to your next protest. Then again, you only need one person to double the turnout of your last solo effort don''t you?

Your one-man effort was improvement on the one you did before that, which even you didn''t show up to!

Steady progress hey smudge?
Never mind - your coherent protest organising skills have at least shown you to be doing something about the situation that we find the club (MOST of us go and watch regularly) in.

Why are you defending Ricardo on this point? He didn''t show up to your protest. Surely you of all people should be telling him exactly what he told me about standing by and doing nothing?
[/quote]

You appear to have agreed with me in a previous post that the Board have been poor yet you continue to support them.

If you are really disenchanted with the stewardship of the club perhaps you might make a start by not attacking anyone who would like to see a change of direction.

I realise its a popular sport on this board to attack Smudger for his uncompromising views on the current regieme but these continual insults about him being an Ipswich fan are way wide of the mark. I don''t profess to agree with him on every point and at my age I don''t fancy getting involved in street protests. However he is among the very few posters on this board who have been consistant in their critisism over the last couple of years. Even those who continue to wear yellow and green tinted glasses have to admit that some of his predictions have gone on to be proved by events.

I continue to hope that the Board have learnt a lesson from their mistakes of the last few years but when you see press articles like Doncasters recent effort you wonder whether its possible for these particular Leopards to ever change their spots. I believe the present owners of the club got it wrong when their "Charlton Athletic Model" plan fell apart. It feels that we are now completely without direction and that the people guiding this club are totally out of their depth when it comes to the football side of things.

Delia was quoted a few years back as saying the big money side of the game would quickly fall apart and we would return to family run clubs. How naive was that? Money is even more important than ever in the modern set up. If the board can''t finance this club properly then we won''t be able to compete in the Championship and the idea of returning to the Premiership will remain a fading dream.

I am all for showing loyalty but I won''t be led up the garden path by people who think its o.k to borrow a few million for roads and offices but baulk at the idea of a few hundred k for the centre half who could make all the difference in our current desperate plight.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="kick it off"]Ah smudger, wondered when you''d make an appearance, seeing how scarce your contribution has been since we have been winning. No surprise it is today when we put in a poor show in front of the sky cameras.You would gain a lot more credibility if you were to post when we were doing well and commend the team than just pop up to criticise when we aren''t.Who knows - more credibility might mean more people turn up to your next protest. Then again, you only need one person to double the turnout of your last solo effort don''t you?Your one-man effort was improvement on the one you did before that, which even you didn''t show up to!Steady progress hey smudge?Never mind - your coherent protest organising skills have at least shown you to be doing something about the situation that we find the club (MOST of us go and watch regularly) in.Why are you defending Ricardo on this point? He didn''t show up to your protest. Surely you of all people should be telling him exactly what he told me about standing by and doing nothing?[/quote]

You appear to have agreed with me in a previous post that the Board have been poor yet you continue to support them.

If you are really disenchanted with the stewardship of the club perhaps you might make a start by not attacking anyone who would like to see a change of direction.

I realise its a popular sport on this board to attack Smudger for his uncompromising views on the current regieme but these continual insults about him being an Ipswich fan are way wide of the mark. I don''t profess to agree with him on every point and at my age I don''t fancy getting involved in street protests. However he is among the very few posters on this board who have been consistant in their critisism over the last couple of years. Even those who continue to wear yellow and green tinted glasses have to admit that some of his predictions have gone on to be proved by events.

I continue to hope that the Board have learnt a lesson from their mistakes of the last few years but when you see press articles like Doncasters recent effort you wonder whether its possible for these particular Leopards to ever change their spots. I believe the present owners of the club got it wrong when their "Charlton Athletic Model" plan fell apart. It feels that we are now completely without direction and that the people guiding this club are totally out of their depth when it comes to the football side of things.

Delia was quoted a few years back as saying the big money side of the game would quickly fall apart and we would return to family run clubs. How naive was that? Money is even more important than ever in the modern set up. If the board can''t finance this club properly then we won''t be able to compete in the Championship and the idea of returning to the Premiership will remain a fading dream.

I am all for showing loyalty but I won''t be led up the garden path by people who think its o.k to borrow a few million for roads and offices but baulk at the idea of a few hundred k for the centre half who could make all the difference in our current desperate plight.

[/quote]Ricardo - i do not attack anyone who wishes to see a change of the incumbents of the club. I attack those who continually criticise on here without any real attempt to make change happen, and especially when these same people will attack the board under any circumstance and will not even consider the notion that the board may have made a correct decision or judgement.I would also appreciate you to point out any instance in which i have called smudger an ipswich fan. If you can find one i will obviously apologise profusely but i am quite certain none of the such are in existence.I think you will find many supporters have not been forthright in support of the board and have criticised in some instances due to the fact the board are not always right. In fact, quite to the contrary i believe in recent years they have often been more wrong than right. This does not change the situation, how can you expect the board to even begin to change the regime and start spending money if the animosity towards them is demonstrated mere weeks before a very important transfer window? it is down to hope, i am not a fan of the board, i do not expect them to spend money but am perfectly happy to be surprised if they do. Now is not the time for protest, no benefit will come of it, as demonstrated by the lack of support for prophet smudger''s protest.I would also like you to entertain the prospect maybe Smudger is not on the recieveing end of it all the time because of his views. Maybe it is because of his lack of respect for a certain Mr G Paddon. Or maybe its because he only ever criticises everyone within the club. There is not a single comment in praise of anyone within the club. Not the players, not the fans and not the board or coaches. Maybe it is because he resorts to labelling us all sheep and refuses to even consider his points maybe wrong and others are more valid, irrelevant of how much better informed, articulated or thought out they are. Maybe if he showed up and said"well done boys 4 wins out of 6" instead of a constant barrage of often illfounded criticism. Maybe he should refrain from criticising both fans and players when he has openly stated he hasnt been to a game for a few years?After all, your views differ from mine, yet we are clearly both capable of reason, and having a intelligent debate, and neither of us seem to be infuriating enough to warrant a barrage of abuse from other posters?

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="kick it off"]Ah smudger, wondered when you''d make an appearance, seeing how scarce your contribution has been since we have been winning.

You would gain a lot more credibility if you were to post when we were doing well and commend the team than just pop up to criticise when we aren''t.

Who knows - more credibility might mean more people turn up to your next protest. Then again, you only need one person to double the turnout of your last solo effort don''t you?

Your one-man effort was improvement on the one you did before that, which even you didn''t show up to!

Never mind - your coherent protest organising skills have at least shown you to be doing something about the situation that we find the club (MOST of us go and watch regularly) in.

Why are you defending Ricardo on this point? He didn''t show up to your protest. Surely you of all people should be telling him exactly what he told me about standing by and doing nothing?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would also appreciate you to point out any instance in which i have called smudger an ipswich fan. If you can find one i will obviously apologise profusely but i am quite certain none of the such are in existence.

After all, your views differ from mine, yet we are clearly both capable of reason, and having a intelligent debate, and neither of us seem to be infuriating enough to warrant a barrage of abuse from other posters?
[/quote]

My point about labelling Smudger an Ipswich fan was not aimed at you in particular K.I.O. but more as a general point regarding the silly name calling in some of the debate on here. Hopefully mine and yours will not decend to that level.

Until quite recently I was a defender of the Board but the reasoned arguments from the likes of Mr.Carrow, Alex, Bly, Gazza,Cluck (yes and even Smudger) etc have converted me to what some call the "Dark Side". I am sure if you look amongst the archives you will find posts where I have vigorously defended the Board. I don''t go as far as boycotting games and calling  those who disagree with me "sheep" but I do feel we need to keep up the constant critisism in order to combat the propaganda and spin coming out of Carrow Rd. The relief over our recent mini revival should not be allowed to conceal the mismanagement and parsimonous dealings that have put us in that position in the first place.

I don''t want to get into an argument about transfer fees, agents fees etc but its plain to see that the clubs comments about spending all the transfer income on new players was disingenuous to put it mildly. That issue and the point I previously made about the ease with which they borrow money for infrastructure yet baulk at necessary onfield expenditure  has proved to me that they are not up to the job. They see offices and roads as an investment but a quality player is a waste of cash. They seem to glory in the "Little Norwich, family club" epithet which in my opinion is completey the wrong image to project.

For those reason and several others I am now thoroughly disillusion with our present owners. I still love this club as much as I did when I first became a fan ( in the days before Pontius was a pilot) but I fear we will go nowhere until we have somebody in charge with real finacial muscle.

I feel like Jeremy Paxman in that infamous interview with Michael Howard, asking the same question over and over again. Can any of the Anti-Board people please, please let me know your Strategy, and Business Plan, and which people they would put in place of this current assorted mix of Business types which make up our Board (and the Board of ever other professional football Club as far as I can see)? As I have said before please do not think that wishing for a mega wealthy fairy-godfather, or just reiterating the same old mantra about spending on the Team not on the Infrasructure; consists of a Strategy. All this melodrama, and ridiculous words, just because we are in a relegation battle. Get real, smell the coffeee, ''that''s football stupid'', it''s a sport! Personally I do not think it would be a tradegy if we go down a division, using the young players to get experience and improve, as opposed to just buying in new players to get us out of a hole.  

[quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh please don''t worry Ricardo...

Delia is going to sell a few more plates of steak & chips in ''Yellows'' to finance the building of a team that will keep us up and storm to the league title net season.

I am so excited with her new plans to take us to the Premiership that I will be rushing to get my ticket for the Scunthorpe game with immediate effect tomorow morning and will be at every game until the end of the season cheering the boys on to one stupendous victory after another.... [:$]

[quote user="corbs"]I feel like Jeremy Paxman in that infamous interview with Michael Howard, asking the same question over and over again. Can any of the Anti-Board people please, please let me know your Strategy, and Business Plan, and which people they would put in place of this current assorted mix of Business types which make up our Board (and the Board of ever other professional football Club as far as I can see)? As I have said before please do not think that wishing for a mega wealthy fairy-godfather, or just reiterating the same old mantra about spending on the Team not on the Infrasructure; consists of a Strategy. All this melodrama, and ridiculous words, just because we are in a relegation battle. Get real, smell the coffeee, ''that''s football stupid'', it''s a sport! Personally I do not think it would be a tradegy if we go down a division, using the young players to get experience and improve, as opposed to just buying in new players to get us out of a hole.  [/quote]

It really is quite simple. The current board have consistantly shown that they are willing to throw millions at infrastructure by basically asset-stripping a successful team and "spinning" supporters that all transfer money received is re-invested in the team, despite the fact that the accounts show in clear black and white very large overall profits in the transfer market. My "strategy" would be to end all non-vital spend on infrastructure and go back to putting the team first- and it doesn`t really matter who`s in charge, it is the policy that matters.

It is possible that at some point the club will receive another windfall either by selling a young player or the clubs` remaining land. Given recent history do you think the board will spend it on the team or on infrastructure? If you think the latter then surely it is right to put pressure on them to change their outlook or bugger off? Do you want more of the same?

[quote user="corbs"]I feel like Jeremy Paxman in that infamous interview with Michael Howard, asking the same question over and over again. Can any of the Anti-Board people please, please let me know your Strategy, and Business Plan, and which people they would put in place of this current assorted mix of Business types which make up our Board (and the Board of ever other professional football Club as far as I can see)? As I have said before please do not think that wishing for a mega wealthy fairy-godfather, or just reiterating the same old mantra about spending on the Team not on the Infrasructure; consists of a Strategy. All this melodrama, and ridiculous words, just because we are in a relegation battle. Get real, smell the coffeee, ''that''s football stupid'', it''s a sport! Personally I do not think it would be a tradegy if we go down a division, using the young players to get experience and improve, as opposed to just buying in new players to get us out of a hole.  [/quote]

Err No. Its not a sport its a business.

If you want to watch football as a sport there are plenty of local amatuer teams to go and see.

As long as you support the present owners and their constant mantra that "nobody wants to invest in a football club" then nothing will change. You seem to miss the fact that football is going through a tremendous change where clubs are now becoming rich mens toys. The old days when clubs were run by local business worthies for the benefit of the community are long gone.

If the majority of you are happy with seeing NCFC as a medium size club in League 1 then thats exactly what you are going to get. Personally I want to see this club on a higher plane than that.

"Thats ambition stupid".

"Mans reach should always exceed his grasp, else what is heaven for".

If you don''t think it a tragedy that Norwich City are in the old third division, you should have a good think about the word "supporter" and what it means.

Strategy and business plan?  Here''s one.  Invest more money in players, less money in "infrastructure".  Not all, just more.  Review season ticket prices and pass any increase on to the manager to bring in a better quality of player.  I''m sorry that doesn''t seem imaginative enough for you, but neither is it melodramatic or ridiculous.  Unlike your comment above about relegation "not being a tragedy", which is ridiculous. 

And as for your youth team suggestion, tell me where the "young players" you talk about are, as they can''t even get more than one on the bench at the moment (Spillane).  Jarvis senior and junior?  Eagle?  Bexfield?  Smart?  Martin?  The talent''s hardly rolling off the production line, is it.

Now please, in response, explain to me why the board''s current approach is right and correct, and how they are assisting in the successful running of our club?  If you want to talk about balance sheets, where''s the money gone?  If you want to talk about on-field success, explain the league table.  Look forward to hearing from you.

[quote]

It really is quite simple. The current board have consistantly shown

that they are willing to throw millions at infrastructure by basically

asset-stripping a successful team and "spinning" supporters that all

transfer money received is re-invested in the team, despite the fact

that the accounts show in clear black and white very large overall

profits in the transfer market. My "strategy" would be to end all

non-vital spend on infrastructure and go back to putting the team

first
- and it doesn`t really matter who`s in charge, it is the policy

that matters.

It is possible that at some point the club will receive another

windfall either by selling a young player or the clubs` remaining land.

Given recent history do you think the board will spend it on the team

or on infrastructure? If you think the latter then surely it is right

to put pressure on them to change their outlook or bugger off? Do you

want more of the same?[/quote]

It would probably be enough to set ourselves up as one of the 5 biggest payers in the league, as we were when we came down from the Premiership.  We had the 2nd largest player wage bill in the league then.  I suspect that the board were stung by that experience, and have been budgeting for mid-table ever since, when the teams at the top are still budgeting for a shot at the play-offs. It seems obvious to say it, but if you make more money available for the playing staff, you have a stronger hand when it comes to signing quality players.  We paid about 7.5 million in player wages last season, the top payers in this league are probably paying 13 million (This is a guess, as the average for this league is about 9 million, 13 million could be low), so we''d need to find another 5.5 million a year.  Where could the club find that money from the non-football side of things ?  Is it acheivable, or would longer-term growth of turnover be effected ?  Mr. Carrow ?

So not only is Football a Business, but we have to watch it as a Business? Not for me, especially in this week that Ken Nethercott died. I leave that side of thing to the Board, of whom I remain indifferent. I get enough ''Business'' in my working life. My love of the Canaries is my escape from that world. My best mate is a WBA fan. You would think he would be joyful, but he is not, and we all know why I think. It''s because his Team faces another grim, grinding, battle next year to stay in the dullest league we have in this country, the premiership. He knows they face the same treatment as Derby are getting, week in, week out. Meanwhile we are in a genuine relegation fight, with all the thrills and spills which that involves. Sadly the youth will not be able to keep us up on their own, so we will have to buy, and I think the Board will release sufficient funds. I see no ''asset stripping'', and no excessive spending on Bricks and Mortar/Infrastructure, which is not to say I am an expert on the budget sheet. My strategy is ''bread and roses'', survival, a cup run, and the romance and money which both will bring.     

[quote user="corbs"]So not only is Football a Business, but we have to watch it as a Business? Not for me, especially in this week that Ken Nethercott died. I leave that side of thing to the Board, of whom I remain indifferent. I get enough ''Business'' in my working life. My love of the Canaries is my escape from that world. My best mate is a WBA fan. You would think he would be joyful, but he is not, and we all know why I think. It''s because his Team faces another grim, grinding, battle next year to stay in the dullest league we have in this country, the premiership. He knows they face the same treatment as Derby are getting, week in, week out. Meanwhile we are in a genuine relegation fight, with all the thrills and spills which that involves. Sadly the youth will not be able to keep us up on their own, so we will have to buy, and I think the Board will release sufficient funds. I see no ''asset stripping'', and no excessive spending on Bricks and Mortar/Infrastructure, which is not to say I am an expert on the budget sheet. My strategy is ''bread and roses'', survival, a cup run, and the romance and money which both will bring.     [/quote]

Don''t forget the quality burger an'' chips in "Yellow''s!"........Fantastico FOODBALL "It''s coming home!"

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

It really is quite simple. The current board have consistantly shown that they are willing to throw millions at infrastructure by basically asset-stripping a successful team and "spinning" supporters that all transfer money received is re-invested in the team, despite the fact that the accounts show in clear black and white very large overall profits in the transfer market. My "strategy" would be to end all non-vital spend on infrastructure and go back to putting the team first- and it doesn`t really matter who`s in charge, it is the policy that matters.

It is possible that at some point the club will receive another windfall either by selling a young player or the clubs` remaining land. Given recent history do you think the board will spend it on the team or on infrastructure? If you think the latter then surely it is right to put pressure on them to change their outlook or bugger off? Do you want more of the same?[/quote]

It would probably be enough to set ourselves up as one of the 5 biggest payers in the league, as we were when we came down from the Premiership.  We had the 2nd largest player wage bill in the league then.  I suspect that the board were stung by that experience, and have been budgeting for mid-table ever since, when the teams at the top are still budgeting for a shot at the play-offs. It seems obvious to say it, but if you make more money available for the playing staff, you have a stronger hand when it comes to signing quality players.  We paid about 7.5 million in player wages last season, the top payers in this league are probably paying 13 million (This is a guess, as the average for this league is about 9 million, 13 million could be low), so we''d need to find another 5.5 million a year.  Where could the club find that money from the non-football side of things ?  Is it acheivable, or would longer-term growth of turnover be effected ?  Mr. Carrow ?
[/quote]

The first port of call is obviously to see how those ''other clubs at the top still budgetting for a shot at the play-offs'' do it.

But that would be too simple, one suspects, for some people.

It''s really not rocket science - but it ain''t cookery either!

OTBC

[quote user="corbs"]So not only is Football a Business, but we have to watch it as a Business? Not for me, especially in this week that Ken Nethercott died. I leave that side of thing to the Board, of whom I remain indifferent. I get enough ''Business'' in my working life. My love of the Canaries is my escape from that world. My best mate is a WBA fan. You would think he would be joyful, but he is not, and we all know why I think. It''s because his Team faces another grim, grinding, battle next year to stay in the dullest league we have in this country, the premiership. He knows they face the same treatment as Derby are getting, week in, week out. Meanwhile we are in a genuine relegation fight, with all the thrills and spills which that involves. Sadly the youth will not be able to keep us up on their own, so we will have to buy, and I think the Board will release sufficient funds. I see no ''asset stripping'', and no excessive spending on Bricks and Mortar/Infrastructure, which is not to say I am an expert on the budget sheet. My strategy is ''bread and roses'', survival, a cup run, and the romance and money which both will bring.     [/quote]

So let''s get this straight. You would rather be in our position, trying not to get relegated to the third tier for almost half a century, than in WBA''s position because they are top of the league, and they might get hammered in the Prem next year (though it''s not guaranteed - Reading anyone?) because it''s "thrilling" and it''s okay as long as we have a cup run.

So, can I assume that when we were running away with Division One in 2004, you were really unhappy because we would be playing with those big, bad teams in the Prem the following year and we would get beaten most weeks? When you would rather be fighting relegation in the second tier and, er, getting beaten most weeks.

WTF?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Congratulations on your well-argued posts on this thread.

It would be hard to put it better.

Keep it going.

OTBC

[/quote]

Thanks Bly

I sometimes feel like I''m ploughing a lone furrow on here.

I would love to have a more positive outlook but seems like everytime I think things might be changing we get another dose of cold water from the Doomcaster.

[quote user="ricardo"]

As long as you support the present owners and their constant mantra that "nobody wants to invest in a football club" then nothing will change. You seem to miss the fact that football is going through a tremendous change where clubs are now becoming rich mens toys. The old days when clubs were run by local business worthies for the benefit of the community are long gone.

If the majority of you are happy with seeing NCFC as a medium size club in League 1 then thats exactly what you are going to get. Personally I want to see this club on a higher plane than that.

"Thats ambition stupid".

[/quote]

Ricardo mate, sorry that is not ambition that is day dreaming. Unless you are doing something to make it happen like putting your hand in your pocket (like the board whether you like it or not) it is pie in the sky. Everyone on here would like to rewind 15 years to a quality team at the top end of the Prem. Some accept we are what we are, some rail against the board.

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="ricardo"]

"Thats ambition stupid".

[/quote]

Ricardo mate, sorry that is not ambition that is day dreaming. Unless you are doing something to make it happen like putting your hand in your pocket (like the board whether you like it or not) it is pie in the sky. Everyone on here would like to rewind 15 years to a quality team at the top end of the Prem. Some accept we are what we are, some rail against the board.

[/quote]

With this kind of logic and ambition we''re doomed. And we''ll become a little fish in a big, big pond - again.

Do you accept relegation? It''s still more than a distinct possibility.

When would your acceptance wear out? Fourth division?

If you check the accounts you''ll find that by far the highest income stream derives from the fans - about 24,000 put their hands in their pockets about 30 times a year, not to mention during the periodic share issues ( to buy stars like Hucks who the board are too tight to buy).

''Nuff said.

Happy Xmas

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="ricardo"]

"Thats ambition stupid".

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m not a rich man Big Fish. I have a very small shareholding (20 shares) have been a season ticket holder for 30 plus years and a regular supporter since 1953.

However I refuse to accept that where we are is where we should be. My argument is that the present owners of the club have niether the right policy nor the financial clout to put us back where we belong.

If you are happy with the long slow decline of the last 15 years then fair enough. I hope for better and the only way that can come true is if we find an owner with more money. I don''t believe that the present incubants have any intention of finding that person or stepping aside of their own volition.

You may think its "pie in the sky", Big Fish but when I look around I see clubs with a lot less stature than our own actively reaching up for that flying pudding.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="ricardo"]

"Thats ambition stupid".

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m not a rich man Big Fish. I have a very small shareholding (20 shares) have been a season ticket holder for 30 plus years and a regular supporter since 1953.

However I refuse to accept that where we are is where we should be. My argument is that the present owners of the club have niether the right policy nor the financial clout to put us back where we belong.

If you are happy with the long slow decline of the last 15 years then fair enough. I hope for better and the only way that can come true is if we find an owner with more money. I don''t believe that the present incubants have any intention of finding that person or stepping aside of their own volition.

You may think its "pie in the sky", Big Fish but when I look around I see clubs with a lot less stature than our own actively reaching up for that flying pudding.

[/quote]

Fair play Ricardo, I was probably playing with semantics to tease you a bit. Apologies for that. Don''t think I can argue against what you say this time on club policy, financial clout or the intention of standing aside.

The only question now is how we chase the flying pudding.