Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Could You Ever Trust Our Board Again?

Hmm?, thats a difficult one for me to answer. I just don''t know.

As you know, I''ve never liked or trusted Delia and Co. From the Walker sacking to Granty''s appointment, there''s always been major issue''s with me. They waited far too long to oust Worthy and gave PG very little transfer cash in January.

However........

City are my team, from boyhood to now (51 years) and old habits are very hard to break. But giving time and more importantly, investment in the team................I believe I could learn to love, or at least, respect them again.

Could you and what would it take?.

For me, they would have to do one of two things:

- Inject alot of money directly into the team

- Give up however many shares necessary for a rich russian guy to inject LOTS more money.

I cant see either happening.

Unfortunately, Delia has put alot of her own money in, and she''s not one of the wealthiest. In football, its hard to understand but in the real world, she has done alot for us.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

As you know, I''ve never liked or trusted Delia and Co. From the Walker sacking to Granty''s appointment, there''s always been major issue''s with me. They waited far too long to oust Worthy and gave PG very little transfer cash in January.

However........

City are my team, from boyhood to now (51 years) and old habits are very hard to break. But giving time and more importantly, investment in the team................I believe I could learn to love, or at least, respect them again.

[/quote]

Even I could let them get on with things if I saw that they were once again making every effort to move the club forwards Wiz...

The spending of £2million to £3million on 3 or 4 capable players in the summer would be a good start (excluding any money coming in for selling Earnie or any other players).  Any money coming in to the club at this moment in time should be given to Granty to rebuild the squad.

For me the money is obvious. We need it and fast.

The other thing I would like to see is a clear statement on the level of transparency available. As it stands, the club claims full transparency. We know this not to be true simply by looking at the answers offered to questions posed at the AGM. I think realistically, a football club cannot divulge some forms of information such as available funds. So rather than raise expectaion just to let us down, why not clearly state the specific topics up for disclosure.

This saves all of the political jargon we see and everybody knows where we stand.

[quote user="theolster"]

confirmation that some kind of plan is in place would be a start.

follow that up with raesonable amount re-invested in the club. Dosent have to be millions, but enough to strenghten and give us reasonable hope.

f

[/quote]some of you really live in dreamland. listening to smudger and  olster spout there mouths off is becoming very boring.To own and run a football club costs millions these days, and if I had delias money would I chuck it at the club because some supporters have thrown there toys out of the pram.NO I WOULD NOT. because football is no longer seen as the good investment it once was.  even  chelseas  mega rich owner is  keen to see the club supporting itself within the next two years. This board has supported all it''s managers as much as it possibly can. The clubs financial situation is always open now and things can not be more different today then they where in bob chases day. This board is by no means perfect i.e hanging on worthy far to long then appointing muppet grant. If you protest now it harms the team. NOW IS SIMPLY NOT THE TIME. 

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

However........

[/quote]

Even I could let them get on with things if I saw that they were once again making every effort to move the club forwards Wiz...

The spending of £2million to £3million on 3 or 4 capable players in the summer would be a good start (excluding any money coming in for selling Earnie or any other players).  Any money coming in to the club at this moment in time should be given to Granty to rebuild the squad.

[/quote]Posts like this make me want to scream. Where do you think £2-3m is going to come from, Smudger? Do you think it''ll magically drop out of the sky? Next season, we lose £7m (count it) in revenue because of our parachute payments running out: any club has to make significant cutbacks in such a scenario. And that''s not the fabled ''lack of ambition'': it''s making sure we still have a club to support!We only made the play-offs and ultimately went up in the first place because the club gambled with money it thought it had, but actually didn''t (the ITV Digital money). In the absence of another deal like that happening again, I can''t for the life of me see where your £2-3m is going to come from. All Grant can do is offload some of our highest earners (Safri will certainly go, Colin - because Grant clearly doesn''t rate him - will too, Drury might, and I fear Dublin could: he''s had a marvellous impact here, and I hope desperately we keep him on, but I''m not at all convinced the club would consider it prudent, given its much-reduced circumstances next year), get rid of players who aren''t good enough like Doherty, having already done so with Robinson (I''ve a feeling he''ll keep Hughes and perhaps Etuhu though), release a few younger players who aren''t thought likely to make the grade, and make cheap signings with the hope that they''re as good as Lappin, say, is proving to be. But anything more is, I''m afraid, complete and utter fantasy.

investment and 100% of any transfers out. And most importantly, honesty, we, the fans are the lifeblood of the club and deserve to be trusted a little more, we deserve to know the whys and why nots

Trust is a big word! Its a word that I would not associate with NCPLC. Too many lies, miss leading statements, and red herrings have been put out by NCPLC for me to trust them fully again.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

I personally feel there definately needs to be changes to the current board to bring new money and new ideas for me to have faith in them again.

At the end of the day they have let the club spiral down to the depths it now finds its self in - whether that be by design (which I doubt) or by mis- management (which is my view). They have had the finances over the past 2/3 seasons with the Premiership money, the revenue from the land sales, larger gate receipts than ever, and the nett profit from transfer dealings, that should have resulted in us establishing ourselves as one of the strongest teams in the Championship and we are obviously far far from being that.

In my view Doncaster as Chief Executive of NCFC (i.e. the person ultimately responsible for running NCFC) should be sacked along new blood actively being sort and welcomed on to the board to provide the ideas, finances and impetus to take us forwards again because with the current incumbants I can''t see that happening i''m afraid.

Well, actually I probably do trust the Board. As far as I am concerned there are two ways they have not stepped up to the plate:

1.  they showed ineptitude and blind faith in the previous manager for way too long when it was patently obvious from evidence on the pitch that things were shot

2. risk aversion to the point of complacency. This one is harder though. We actually don''t know how much money has been made available, we don''t know the detail of player''s contracts and the wage/bonus situation, we have no idea who NW/PG may have tried to bring in but failed (remember the Clinton Morrisson fiasco?).

They would counter (with some merit) both points as follows:

1. loyalty is better than knee jerk reactions and a manager who got an average team to the play off final against expectations and got promotion as runaway champions can''t be all bad.

2. no-one negotiates in public. Even Roman Abramovich does not say "Here, Jose, have £50m to strengthen your squad this summer" in public. To make this known could instantly hinder your transfer strategy with clubs holding out for unrealistic transfer fees. Anyway you can argue that risks have been taken- the acquisition of Huckerby and others in the promotion year, the investment in Ashton, the reinvestment in Earnshaw, and the amounts of money made available to NW were, I would wager, greater than any manager in Norwich''s history.

In summary- yes I think there are issues, but no I don''t actually mistrust them.

I''m grateful for all your replies guys, but only three of you so far have hinted that given the right conditions, they could forgive and trust the board again.

And that was my question.......could you forgive and trust the board?.

In respect of recent ''heated'' disscusions on here of late, I was surprised and pleased to read the reply from Smudger............nice one my man.

[quote user="Shaun Lawson"]

Posts like this make me want to scream. Where do you think £2-3m is going to come from, Smudger? Do you think it''ll magically drop out of the sky? Next season, we lose £7m (count it) in revenue because of our parachute payments running out: any club has to make significant cutbacks in such a scenario. And that''s not the fabled ''lack of ambition'': it''s making sure we still have a club to support!

We only made the play-offs and ultimately went up in the first place because the club gambled with money it thought it had, but actually didn''t (the ITV Digital money). In the absence of another deal like that happening again, I can''t for the life of me see where your £2-3m is going to come from. All Grant can do is offload some of our highest earners (Safri will certainly go, Colin - because Grant clearly doesn''t rate him - will too, Drury might, and I fear Dublin could: he''s had a marvellous impact here, and I hope desperately we keep him on, but I''m not at all convinced the club would consider it prudent, given its much-reduced circumstances next year), get rid of players who aren''t good enough like Doherty, having already done so with Robinson (I''ve a feeling he''ll keep Hughes and perhaps Etuhu though), release a few younger players who aren''t thought likely to make the grade, and make cheap signings with the hope that they''re as good as Lappin, say, is proving to be. But anything more is, I''m afraid, complete and utter fantasy.
[/quote]

Sorry Shaun, but I think we should have £2-3million lying around somewhere for Grant to use.

We can all assume the Premiership cash is long gone. And maybe the parachute money. But what exactly have we spent the £10 million we''ve received from Ashton, McKenzie and Green on? I appreciate we''ve had loanees (Marshall, Chadwick, Ashdown, Camp - have I forgotten anyone?) and made some signings (Croft £750k, Dublin free, Earnshaw, £3.5mil, Chadwick £130k, Lappin £100k, Fozzy free) and of course we had to pay Crewe a small fee for Ashton but I simply cannot see how this amounts to £10mil.

We should have at least £1-2mil of this lying around still, and I can not for any reason fathom why we don''t. Money that has been raised by team sales should be put back into team sales, and the fact that this clearly isn''t the case is massive cause for concern at this football club.

We keep getting where is the money coming from, Delia cant just sling in 2-3 mill, etc etc. Thats our point the club needs investment, Delia and her pals aint got it to give, so they should step aside, i shop at adsa not harrods, i know what i can afford. this is a big club, not huge but the 2nd best supported in the championship last count. Worthy done a good job, then got found out, the board are the same, they are now out of their depth. Its not whether you like delia or not, its about our club fulfilling its true protential, this board have not got the funds to do that. they have generated alot money in the last few years, premier, parachute payments, sellouts, yet it seems we still aint worth a washer.

Who would be interested in us i here you say, well considering teams like Millwall are on the third investor in the last five years and they are struggling, a team like city must seem a real prospect, with our fanbase etc and protential catchment.

Why does it have to be a city lover, i remember Man utd fans going ballistic over the yanks coming in, all gone quiet now they look like winning the title. So if a russian billionaire came calling we have to say no do we, because he does not live in cringleford. 

I just renewed my season tickets and it felt really good after many weeks of never imagining that I would commit to another grands worth of misery, tension and despair studded with the occasional pin pricks of joy, not to mention the 6 hour round trip.

I don''t know if I trust the board or not, I don''t recall people ever trusting the board under Set Geoffrey, Sir Arthur or particularly Mr.Chase. I do think that the 2 most reviled on here, namely Delia and Doncaster and perhaps Munby and MWJ had lost their way following the lack of success in the Prem, some of which could be laid at their door, but other than for business sound business reasons I don''t think anybody has lied.

The lack of off field versus onfield invest is an issue but this is the route followed the more successful small clubs, i.e. Bolton and Reading, in recent years, with some success, and this when Madejski is worth 20 times what Delia is worth. I believe that the board are behaving responsibly if not particularly excitingly, for some fans, but the alternatives seem limited currently and I believe that there was a concious decision to rein in Worthy''s spending and a period of wait and see before the next stage of going for it with PG although he has to date been allowed 6 or is it 7 new signings or loanees.

I''m looking forward to next season in the Championship and I believe that despite some irritations Grant may be up to it and I also believe that, as in previous times, if the opportunity to really go for it is there again soon the resources will be there just like before.  

Finally, I don''t post much anymore as it seems like the board is hogged by a clique of school bully types who join together in a mob handed way to push a minority view. In previous times many of Wizard''s posts were merely to provoke responses and the results were often witty, cerebral and good natured. Now he is almost the pleasant voice of reason and any attempts at clever debate and riposte are crushed in the same heavy handed doorman/ Blackshirt way by the self styled guardians of the site, who see themselves as not just right but also the righteous, while those who once adorned the board in the past with reason and brains, not myself I will quickly add, are now rarely seen.    

The board need to be completely reconciled with the fact that success on the pitch will dictate everything.

I''m not sure there are many clubs who have a complete fanbase which has total trust in its board.

If City perform well, the ground will be full. Question marks over the board will become less sharp.

If results fail to improve, things will get much worse. There will be many more seats left empty at matches. The pressure on the board will grow and grow to breaking point.

I know it sounds simplistic, but most football clubs survive on cracks being papered over. I''m not sure people will ever get words they want to satisfy them. What I think we will get though is actions, slowly and surely backed up by results.

Everybody makes mistakes and, even if we''re stubborn enough to defend ourselves in public it is still possible to acknowledge these within yourself... maybe...
(ok, yes, they could still be oblivious to it all too)

I do wish some people would come out of dreamland - Ricky talks about the yanks taking over Man Utd and if a Russian Investor came knocking we should accept - well with all due trespect there is a big difference taking over Man Utd to taking over Norwich - I dont think I need to explain them as I think mentioning the two clubs in question speaks for itself - and what is all this obsession with Russian takeovers - for goodness sake get to grips with the fact that foreign investors are interested in making money and not all investors are success stories - ask West ham!!!  We have no divine right to be in the top two or top six with new investors at the helm or not - the quicker some people realise this and just get on with supporting the club which lets be honest has not been massively successful since we were formed (the odd Europe season - sorry the one Europe season) and a couple of championship winners then the better we will be.  Why with some supporters should we suddenly be challenging for this that and the other just because we had one season in the Premier recently. 

I trust the board now, and don''t see any need to forgive them. They might not get every decision right in the eyes of the public, and probably in their own eyes - Steve Howard would have made a great foil for Robert Earnshaw in my opinion, but the board certainly are not dishonest.  Using Howard as an example, Roger Munby was probably too honest in saying that we could have bought Howard but chose not to.The board have been badly let down over the last couple of seasons by people who claim to be professional footballers, but who have been happy to put in sub-standard performances for a long time, and who seem to be more concerned with their lifestyles and media comments than with getting results on the pitch. They have also been let down by the previous management who seem to have let the players get away with it.  The board made 9 million pounds available for player wages for a small squad last season, this level of investment should have provided better on pitch results than it did.  While we were playing badly last season but maintaining our home form, and bobbling around the top 10, it was almost forgivable, but when we started to lose the home form this season as well, even someone as blinkered as me could see that the writing was on the wall for the previous manager, and by extension, a lot of the playing staff.  The comfort zone as Grant calls it should have been addressed by Worthington a long time ago. I believe that Worthington probably lost the dressing room as a result of trying to instill discipline at the start of this season, we did look to be a very disciplined outfit on the pitch at the start of this season. It seems to me that the wheels fell off this season after a promising start as a result of the players kicking against the regime, but only those close to the club know the truth. We were all waiting with baited breath for new signings last summer, but very few arrived, and I guess this is where the perception of a dishonest board stems from.  The fact is that the transfer window has made it a sellers market, as clubs like Norwich struggle to find the best available and end up getting out-bid by the likes of Derby are happy to gamble with debt to get to the Premiership.  In order to find success in the future, Norwich need to get back to what we did best in the 70s and 80s.  Combine veteran players from the top level with promising youngsters from the lower leagues and Scotland, and grow a decent team, rather than spending big money (which won''t be available anyway after this season) on talented individuals who either can''t play in a team and follow orders, or don''t have the ambition to play at the top level, and are happy just taking the money.

I''m grateful for all your replies guys, but only three of you so far have hinted that given the right conditions, they could forgive and trust the board again.

In respect of recent ''heated'' disscusions on here of late, I was surprised and pleased to read the reply from Smudger............nice one my man.

[/quote]

If you want it put simply Wiz  NO

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"]

Sorry Shaun, but I think we should have £2-3million lying around somewhere for Grant to use.

[/quote]What like there''s a safe in delia''s office with 3 million in used bank notes that shes saving for a rainy day or a new restaurant? Get real any spare cash the club has will be being used for something, paying of debts/bills/high wages. Presumably grant has a transfer budget for the summer, so some cash must be earmarked for that but i''d be suprised if it was much more than a million. Also i have no reason not to trust the board they''ve made some mistakes true but i do belive thay have done everything in good faith and are trying thier hardest to do a virtually impossible job.

I think they''ve made mistakes, but not been dishonest. I''d like to see those mistakes rectified, more investment, faster decision making but I still trust their motives

[quote user="Shaun Lawson"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

However........

[/quote]

[/quote]

Posts like this make me want to scream. Where do you think £2-3m is going to come from, Smudger? Do you think it''ll magically drop out of the sky? Next season, we lose £7m (count it) in revenue because of our parachute payments running out: any club has to make significant cutbacks in such a scenario. And that''s not the fabled ''lack of ambition'': it''s making sure we still have a club to support!

We only made the play-offs and ultimately went up in the first place because the club gambled with money it thought it had, but actually didn''t (the ITV Digital money). In the absence of another deal like that happening again, I can''t for the life of me see where your £2-3m is going to come from. All Grant can do is offload some of our highest earners (Safri will certainly go, Colin - because Grant clearly doesn''t rate him - will too, Drury might, and I fear Dublin could: he''s had a marvellous impact here, and I hope desperately we keep him on, but I''m not at all convinced the club would consider it prudent, given its much-reduced circumstances next year), get rid of players who aren''t good enough like Doherty, having already done so with Robinson (I''ve a feeling he''ll keep Hughes and perhaps Etuhu though), release a few younger players who aren''t thought likely to make the grade, and make cheap signings with the hope that they''re as good as Lappin, say, is proving to be. But anything more is, I''m afraid, complete and utter fantasy.
[/quote]

The point that this board have led us to a point where yet further cut back will be required next season (to a squad that is already extremely light in numbers already) is exactly our hole point Shaun.

This board of directors have no plans in place to turn the future of the club around (as far as any of us are aware).

[quote user="NavMan"]

I do wish some people would come out of dreamland - Ricky talks about the yanks taking over Man Utd and if a Russian Investor came knocking we should accept - well with all due trespect there is a big difference taking over Man Utd to taking over Norwich - I dont think I need to explain them as I think mentioning the two clubs in question speaks for itself - and what is all this obsession with Russian takeovers - for goodness sake get to grips with the fact that foreign investors are interested in making money and not all investors are success stories - ask West ham!!!  We have no divine right to be in the top two or top six with new investors at the helm or not - the quicker some people realise this and just get on with supporting the club which lets be honest has not been massively successful since we were formed (the odd Europe season - sorry the one Europe season) and a couple of championship winners then the better we will be.  Why with some supporters should we suddenly be challenging for this that and the other just because we had one season in the Premier recently. 

[/quote]

I suggest you read my post again i never compared us to the stature of man u or chelsea. My point was should an outsider come in, does it matter, the glaziers came in at united to demo''s etc, but its all gone quiet now united are looking good. the russian billionare was a hypothetical question, would we turn him away just because he was not a city fan. I am a realist i run a business myself, which depends on sponsorship etc, there are people out there nobody says its easy, but how hard are Delia and co trying.

My other point is our fanbase is stronger than it has been for years our catchment area is bigger than ever, we could rely on 30,000 gates with the right team on the park, so if we are going to attract someone new, the time is now.

Our history might Not be great, but four league cup finals, many years in the top league, yes 1 year in europe, but did we not qualify when british teams were banned. there is alot of clubs who would want our history including some in the prem at the moment.

while we settle for this little old norridge routine we will never get anywhere, some of you fans seem happy with that, but i like winners, at anything in life, if everyone settled for mediocraty then the world we would be still in the stoneage.

[/quote]

That is ok my friend... water off a ducks back to me.

Once again I know that I have stepped over the mark.  I regret that such comments have had to be made in order to make a lot of people question their beliefs and sit up and take notice of what I and many others feel is the root cause of the majority of the current problems at the club.

I am a fair man and have nothing against Delia & Co as people themselves (like I said before she would always be welcome to sit next to myself at a game if I did start coming back and would have no reason to feel threatened in doing so...  I would even applaud her for what she tired to achieve in her time at the club).

This does not alter the fact that I think drastic changes now need to be made to this current faltering regime for us to be able to move forward as a club again....  I just want what is best (in my own and a lot of other peoples eyes) for the future of NCFC as a FOOTBALL CLUB!!!

WE MUST INVEST IN THE TEAM!!!

[quote user="ricky knight"]

We keep getting where is the money coming from, Delia cant just sling in 2-3 mill, etc etc. Thats our point the club needs investment, Delia and her pals aint got it to give, so they should step aside, i shop at adsa not harrods, i know what i can afford. this is a big club, not huge but the 2nd best supported in the championship last count. Worthy done a good job, then got found out, the board are the same, they are now out of their depth. Its not whether you like delia or not, its about our club fulfilling its true protential, this board have not got the funds to do that. they have generated alot money in the last few years, premier, parachute payments, sellouts, yet it seems we still aint worth a washer.

Who would be interested in us i here you say, well considering teams like Millwall are on the third investor in the last five years and they are struggling, a team like city must seem a real prospect, with our fanbase etc and protential catchment.

Why does it have to be a city lover, i remember Man utd fans going ballistic over the yanks coming in, all gone quiet now they look like winning the title. So if a russian billionaire came calling we have to say no do we, because he does not live in cringleford. 

[/quote]

It appears so Ricky if my conversation over this matter with Mr Doncaster was anything to go by....

It was this statement more than any other possibly that has angered me about the current situation we find ourselves in!!!!

No offence to WIZ by the way...

I think that this thread started off as a very good point and many good issues have ben raised...

The question from RONBOL RONBOL however has turned a good natured thread in to something extremely different!!!!

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"]

[/quote]

What like there''s a safe in delia''s office with 3 million in used bank notes that shes saving for a rainy day or a new restaurant? Get real any spare cash the club has will be being used for something, paying of debts/bills/high wages.

Presumably grant has a transfer budget for the summer, so some cash must be earmarked for that but i''d be suprised if it was much more than a million.

Also i have no reason not to trust the board they''ve made some mistakes true but i do belive thay have done everything in good faith and are trying thier hardest to do a virtually impossible job.
[/quote]

You didn''t read my post. I didn''t say we have got this sort of money lying around, I''m saying we should have.

If the club hasn''t got this money then where''s it gone? As you said, high wages, paying of debts and probably expansion elsewhere in the club. I think that''s wrong. Money raised by players should immediatly be converted into money to spend on players. This occurs at most clubs; Crystal Palace for example. The fact that this club has thrown away a fortune by paying poor players high wages and conducting business with high charging agents is yet another sign of the failure of the Worthington legacy.

The fact is is that £10million in fees for players has been wasted frivilously. Grant needs to sort that out.

[quote]The question from RONBOL RONBOL however has turned a good natured thread in to something extremely different!!!![/quote]Well actually smudge old bean (note use of lower case, upper just looks plain rude), the next 10 posters answered the question without any reference to any one man and their dog going for a walk from the swimming pool. 

Until the 1 or 2 who think the board are ''stealing'' from the club put their money where their mouth is and back it up with something called hard evidence (and get themself/selves a good legal team), I won''t have any reason not to trust the board. I think that''s fair enough. And this isn''t aimed at those that want the board out, just the very few that have suggested of illegal mismanagement within the companies finances.

Despite the fear of being accused of forming a pack I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with your post Alex.