Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

MY FIRST CRITICISM OF GRANT.

I have been fully behind Grant, he has had a lot to say, some have questioned if he has said too much, but what I am annoyed about is that he said he liked natural players in natural positions then turns out this mis-match of a side today with players out of position all over the park and natural position players left on the bench.

I didn''t expect this; I expected younger players in if there was no other natural performer for the role.

Talk all you like Granty but mean what you say.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I at least expected to see Eagle start and Doherty played up front with Thorne or Jarvis.

The team selection today defies belief.

It will be very interesting to hear Granty''s post match interview to see how he explains today''s team selection.

Eagle is making a difference already on the left and Hughes is obviously upset at being subbed but he was played out of position yet again. Another poster has mentioned the fact that the back four was changed after three clean sheets.

I also feel that the team selection was a mistake.

Hopefully following my first post: I meant to say Thorne or Jarvis starting up front with Dublin.

It''s easy to get confused with our huge squad. [:P]

I''m not going to critisise him, hes still learning and its only his 3rd game, as long as he learns from it

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m not going to critisise him, hes still learning and its only his 3rd game, as long as he learns from it[/quote]

That''s a good point City Angel.

It''s just hard to comprehend after all Granty''s rhetoric about playing players in their proper positions.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m not going to critisise him, hes still learning and its only his 3rd game, as long as he learns from it[/quote]

That''s a good point City Angel.

It''s just hard to comprehend after all Granty''s rhetoric about playing players in their proper positions.

[/quote]

I know but I''m just trying to stay positive [:)]

Have to disagree Cityangel, Grant was the one to say that he doesn''t like to play people in the wrong positions, and that is exactly what he did today.  If he had stuck to his word and played the back four that hadn''t conceded a goal in 300 minutes, we wouldn''t be 4 - 0 down.  He needs to learn pretty quickly.  Worthy made the mistake of not playing the youngsters and paid the penalty of sticking with the old experienced pros.

Grant will go up in my estimation if he comes out and says it wasn''t the players fault today and that he got the starting line up wrong.

Yeah, I couldn''t agree more - this is Grant''s balls up quite simply. He shouldn''t have said one thing and done another - if he had started with a couple of youngsters I am fairly sure we wouldn''t have been served up with this shambles. As you say, CA, no point in being negative about it because I think he will have learned a few crucial lessons this afternoon. Main damage, IMO, is that it undermines the credibility of the waffle we''ve been fed about giving the youth a chance.    

is McVeigh Injured?

Id even of gone for  maybe Colin at Left Back and MLJ at right back if possible...at least it would of kept us tighter at the back

jas :)

Why is everyone saying it''s not Grant''s fault? He picks the team! Doc in midfield? Yeah, so much for wanting to play players in their "natural positions", Pete. Why the bloody hell was Fleming even on the pitch!?! What will it take for everyone to realise he is past it! Not only were we playing a 36 year old who is totally useless and has been well past for well over 2 years in defence, we then play a 37 year old as a lone striker?

Fine, blame Worthy''s legacy for the players at our disposal, but it was Grant''s selection today, and he had a perfect opportunity to start the youngsters.

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m not going to critisise him, hes still learning and its only his 3rd game, as long as he learns from it[/quote]I agree to some extent cityangel - he has not had a chance to make a decent impact. BUT he has been very quick to criticise and drop the players, has bought in Ashdown for Gallagher without any improvement, and played one of the most bizarre formations I have seen in my limited years as a NCFC supporter. We didn''t have a natural striker on the pitch under the age of 37 for 50 minutes I believe!But that aside, apart from a couple of star names, we have no real match-changing class in our squad - and one of the smallest squads to boot. Neither Worthington or his successor are responsible for this. I think we have to look at the lack of funding made available from the board, especially when we are apparently in profit from recent transfers. I would like to know the justification for seemingly putting off-the-pitch investments ahead of those which desperately need to be made on the field.Let us hope that we are still in the running in January, and then we can really see if our board are primarly concerned with ambition or prudence.

Grant wants to be in football a long time does he. Well, if I was you Peter I would be DEMANDING funds NOW or I''d walk. Otherwise these players will cost you your job and lose your reputation to boot.

So Grant blames the players for not sticking to the game plan and taking none of the responsibility himself. Poor stuff. Early days and I remain positive but what I don''t want to see here is the stubborness we had with Worthington. One of Worthy''s problems was that he never seemed to learn from his mistakes. Grant needs to show he can admit he was wrong with his team selection. It was wrong today. It didn''t work. This is partly his fault and needs to admit that.

I really don''t think it was the players fault. Am I honestly the only person who thought that it was the craziest starting line up I''ve seen for a while?! It was obvious we would get stuffed with Fleming in central defence, Doherty in Safri''s role, Hughes on the left wing and Dublin up front on his own. Christ what did he expect? The worst thing is that we have enough youth players to cover most of those positions more than adequately and he himself had said he was going to use them. Don''t get me wrong, I think he is potentially a very good manager but today was his cock up.

He blames the players but how can you expect players to perform well when played out of position?? 

ITS PATHETIC.

The england match and poor performances ALL ROUND proved that even good players like John Terry look poor when played out of position.

I was not very happy with Grant''s press conference.  This endless critisism of the players is worrying.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

is McVeigh Injured?

[/quote]No but he''s very stupid.I wouldn''t have picked him so soon after his numpty of the day award at the Cardiff game.Got to agree with the consensus though. Grant''s selection was baffling to say the least.If he was going to play Hughes, at least give him a chance in his natural position.Who said stick Doherty up front? No! That back 4 should have been left well alone.Eagle on the left, Croft on the right, Etuhu and either Hughes or Saf in the middle.Dublin and either Thorne or Jarvis up front.Do we do 4-4-2 anymore?

I was puzzled when the team was announced, trying to work out what the formation would be. Small wonder it all went pear shaped in such a bad way

I was puzzled by the post-match interview. Peter Grant was very outspoken against the players in saying they fell back, were not brave in stepping up etc etc. Then he says if they don''t do the things he asks of them they won''t play on his team. Well, that''s all well and good Peter, but you did not let us know who you would replace them with. Incidentally, Peter, just for your information, we were two goals down at halftime, not the three you mentioned. Perhaps your math will improve as you get used to working with bigger numbers over coming weeks.

In would have seemed more natural to stick with the same basic shape as previous matches, bringing in Hughes and Eagle in place Safs and Hucks. Hughes could have played in the holding role and then moved out to the right to cover for Croft as he went forward and supported the isolated Dublin. Players get a lot of stick and much of the time it''s justified, but you can only do so much with what you''ve got. Norwich don''t have the players with the abilty to play and adapt to new formations and tactics every week. In fact most teams at this level don''t. The only thing you can ask of a player is commitment, work-rate and willingness to improve as a player and thus progress as a team. As a manager, certainly at this level, you have to provide the players with a simple plan of action, with emphasis on continuity and a stable system. At the top levels, managers can give more freedom to the players and can be more fluid with their team selection and choice of tactics. I think it for this reason that the likes of Alan Curbishley are only interested in securing a top-premiership job. He''s done his fair share of "nannying" a first division outfit to the Premiership. Peter Grant is a very young and ambitious manager and I''m sure he''ll make many more mistakes as he improves and learns more about the role. But, I think the lesson he needs to learn from todays match is the limitations of not only his Norwich team, but the realities of handling a squad of Championship players.Keep it simple.Good luck getting the team together after a tough defeat.On to the next game and on the ball!

Well done Delia.............What a bunch of crap you''ve assembled for "the best fans in the country".........

I feel so sorry for those fans who made the trip up to Stoke.......and for the many supporters on here who were beginning to believe again.

As has been said though......you can''t blame it all on PG.....as dubious as I am about him. It''s not possible to get a tune out of a broken piano.....and that''s what he''s been asked to do.

The transfer window won''t solve this conundrum alone.......not if the blinkered ''prudence'' by the Board is to continue. The whole club needs a revolution........and I fear it may be coming after this lash-up.

[quote user="cluck"]

The transfer window won''t solve this conundrum alone.......not if the blinkered ''prudence'' by the Board is to continue.

[/quote]

Even without a fortune to spend I think Grant can deliver in the transfer window, both in January but especially in the summer.We haven''t got a fortune to spend, simple as.I do expect the board to push the boat out as far as they can in the quest to rebuild the squad though.

I said in an earlier thread when PG had been at the club only a few days that he was probably the biggest bull****er ever to set foot at CR, nothing has changed that view over the last 3 weeks, If you want to be a bull****er Peter, at least try to be a good one and dont insult our intelligence!!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]I said in an earlier thread when PG had been at the club only a few days that he was probably the biggest bull****er ever to set foot at CR, nothing has changed that view over the last 3 weeks[/quote]Presumably you''re an expert on such matters? [:P]