Wimbledoncanary

Retain , Release, Sell and Loan

27 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I don’t think you can say Rowe was missed when our form improved hugely during his absence. He’s a great player, but easily replaced IMO.

Our form improved with the return of Sargent, Barnes and Gunn, not the absence of Rowe.

Strange thing to say.

Posted (edited)

Johannson 

Stacey.          Duffy.              Edwards.     Burrows 

New CDM   Nunez 

Kamara.                  Colwil.               Sainz.  

Sargent 

Barden, New CB, Norton-Cuffy, McLean, Sorensen, Kwame Poku, New winger(willock?),  Barnes, New forward 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

16 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Screenshot_20240519-143030~2.png

Interesting. He’s the only out of contract player I personally thought we might keep, he’s versatile and presumably cheap.

66 games (or parts of games) in 4 years! I'm not sure he has played many 90 minutes apart when picked as left back. I'm a bit whelmed. Can't see how he has earned a new contract.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, In my blood said:

Can't see how he has earned a new contract.

Just says he will be retained and given the club as an option of another year my assumption is that extention has been activated rather than him getting a full new contract.   

And will be a cheap way to keep some def minded experience in the squad if we are to go younger

Guess we will know in the next couple of days

Edited by ZLF

9 minutes ago, In my blood said:

66 games (or parts of games) in 4 years! I'm not sure he has played many 90 minutes apart when picked as left back. I'm a bit whelmed. Can't see how he has earned a new contract.

Utility players are hard to come by. He may not be a regular starter but he can do a job anywhere. Worth a year imo 

• Like 1

“Ben Gibson, Dimi Giannoulis and Sam McCallum are all set to depart the club at the end of their respective contracts. Danny Batth will also depart, with loan duo Sydney van Hooijdonk and Pedro Lima returning to their parent clubs.”

Don’t think there’s any shocks there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Just says he will be retained and given the club as an option of another year my assumption is that extention has been activated rather than him getting a full new contract.    Guess we will know in the next couple of days

No it says he’s understood to have agreed a new deal to remain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Monty13 said:

“Ben Gibson, Dimi Giannoulis and Sam McCallum are all set to depart the club at the end of their respective contracts. Danny Batth will also depart, with loan duo Sydney van Hooijdonk and Pedro Lima returning to their parent clubs.”

I’m surprised we’ve not kept one left back, we now need to recruit 2

Posted (edited)

We need to bring in a proper CB pairing.

I’d prefer youth, potential and longevity over experience.

Would love to see Ronnie Edwards come in.

And I’m always impressed with Ben Sheaf to play that CDM role.

Edited by CDMullins

On 18/05/2024 at 19:46, canarybubbles said:

I find this a bit harsh. He hasn't disappeared in many games this season (although I agree that he has been largely anonymous in the last three). And I think I'm right in saying that he played every minute of every match, plus the play-offs, so that's 48 games, which must eventually take its toll. McLean's level also fell badly during the same three games, and again he's had the same heavy workload. 

Similar to Gunn, Sara hit his low point at the moment when we needed him at his very best, but I don't think this necessarily makes him a bottler. I think the whole team were running on empty (except for Sainz, who ironically sat on the bench for most of the game).

Disappearing for 3 games consecutively is 2 games too many for an allegedly £20m + player. i can remember seeing some of his performances earlier in the season & was certain he would to be leaving for a top 6 PL club at the first opportunity, only to then vanish in the next match.

I still think that his lack of consistency limits his attraction for clubs in the top division.

And Sarge - as he is at the moment - is not a £20m player.

5 hours ago, In my blood said:

You're a bit "whelmed" and I'm quite gruntled to hear you choose that word! 👍

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2024 at 21:48, Soldier on said:

They wouldn’t be able to do that as we have a year option so basically 2 years left

He'll throw his toys out of the pram way before we consider triggering the 1 year option, just watch.

11 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Johannson 

New CDM   Nunez 

Sargent 

Barden, New CB, Norton-Cuffy, McLean, Sorensen, Kwame Poku, New winger(willock?),  Barnes, New forward 

Johannson has signed for Stoke City. Who are also, supposedly, signing Sam.

7 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

Johannson has signed for Stoke City. Who are also, supposedly, signing Sam.

Ah shoite. 

In that case try to get Gunn to sign a new contract 

18 hours ago, Monty13 said:

With Dimi and Sam leaving, I wonder if this means Norwich will be looking to change how their full backs operate. 

Teams like Arsenal, Man City etc have moved to playing centre backs at full back to make themselves more resilient against counter attacks. We saw Norwich constantly exposed this season on the transition, with poor Duffy and Gibson the only players behind the ball. 

Whoever is brought in the to the left back spot will be a big clue as to how Norwich are planning on setting up next season. One of the many little subplots ongoing this summer. 

• Like 3

Getting rid of stale players on mass means you need to accept you might get a bunch more coming in with the need to replace them.

Basically it's look to get rid of anyone you can eg 2-3 defenders, but then stop so if Duffy, Dimmi went maybe hang onto Gibson until you get a replacement.

Defence - I'd keep Hanley and Stacey

Midfield - Mclean, Sara, Sainz

Attack - Sargent

On 19/05/2024 at 14:26, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Johannson 

New CDM   Nunez 

Sargent 

Ah, 'New CDM'. I suppose at this time of year we can dream. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Ah, 'New CDM'. I suppose at this time of year we can dream. 

The triumph of hope over experience. If that can't happen in close season, when can it happen?

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

The triumph of hope over experience. If that can't happen in close season, when can it happen?

Indeed. I did think it interesting that @GodlyOtsemobor didn't have a name in mind. Does suggest it's a tough position to fill

On 21/05/2024 at 17:57, Robert N. LiM said:

Indeed. I did think it interesting that @GodlyOtsemobor didn't have a name in mind. Does suggest it's a tough position to fill

Well the name I had in mind is Ben sheaf but didn't think it possible to get him if I'm honest. 

16 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Well the name I had in mind is Ben sheaf but didn't think it possible to get him if I'm honest. 

Sheaf is a great name for the first line of defence

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Sheaf is a great name for the first line of defence

Groan. 🙂 

Posted (edited)
Just now, shefcanary said:

Groan. 🙂 

Don't worry, it happens to everyone as you get older

Edited by Robert N. LiM

16 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Good player, stumbling block might be Coventry want well over £10m for him. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Good player, stumbling block might be Coventry want well over £10m for him. 

My point.