49 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

That is a good half an hours walk or more to his place, not a bad walk on a nice evening, not sure that I would want to do it with a skinful mind, and not condoning his decision to drive........

No

Having skinful as you put it and having a 30 minute walk must be pretty hard for a so called professional footballer 

Get real he’s a waster full stop 

3 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

Imagine if your employer unilaterally brought in a code of conduct which dictated your behaviour outside of working hours, and then terminated your contract if you breached it.

Losing all revenue on that player, and making them a free agent in the process... Hmm, can't see that being abused by players or agents!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nik Vawn said:

A reading of 102 which on the face of it is very much over the limit, not convicted yet but not what he or we need, it would appear he has a problem.

Do you know what 102 is in pints?  35 is about 2 pints of normal strength beer, so 102 is about 6 pints, possibly 8 by the time you add digestion in.  There’s an awful lot of tee-totalers on this board it seems.

Now, don’t get me wrong.  Drinking 8 pints and getting in your car is feckin stupid, especially when you can clearly afford a taxi.  But we seem to be crucifying a guy JUST for drinking 8 pints on his relaxing couple of days.

How do we actually he was on his way home? He could have been on this way to his next session.

Trouble is if he uses a taxi, said taxi driver says 'I picked Shane Duffy up, he was absolutely slaughtered'.

I see we've just made the local TV news. Fcuking laughing stock.

The irony is that we brought in players like Duffy to be a role model for our youngsters. That went well, didn't it?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

But we seem to be crucifying a guy JUST for drinking 8 pints on his relaxing couple of days.

I think he's been crucified for then getting into a car, and furthermore having a collision.  I don't see many people attacking him for just having a drink.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Tell me where I said that it's "fine" and I won't consider you a disingenuous c*u*n*t.

I was clearly just pointing out that we'd be hard pressed to sack him until convicted, and that a conviction is by no means a certainty, if you didn't catch that then you are the simple one I'm afraid.

Convicted 

He’s been arrested for being 3 times over the limit you idiot

You’re not Duffy in disguise are you

Do you realise we that we have one of the biggest games coming up that not only could earn this club millions but also almost guarantee that the 3 most talented players remain at the club

And he as a NCFC employee has completely let down the club and the fans

Get real 

t

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

But we seem to be crucifying a guy JUST for drinking 8 pints on his relaxing couple of days.

Wait, are you implying that eight pints isn't a lot?

For a professional footballer, less than a week before the biggest game of the season, it's an absolutely ridiculous amount. And that's before you take into account he decided to drive.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Agreed, I am nearly 62, overweight, asthmatic and have got two dodgy knees and I managed to walk for two hours yesterday...........

Could you remember what you'd gone for when you got there?

42 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

Which wouldn’t stand up in a court of law.  Imagine if your employer unilaterally brought in a code of conduct which dictated your behaviour outside of working hours, and then terminated your contract if you breached it.  You’re having a laugh.

To be fair, there are people who have those contractual stipulations. The alcohol limit is significantly lower for train drivers than it is car drivers, to the extent that even having two pints the night before a shift is not advised.

29 minutes ago, daly said:

Convicted 

He’s been arrested for being 3 times over the limit you idiot

You’re not Duffy in disguise are you

Do you realise we that we have one of the biggest games coming up that not only could earn this club millions but also almost guarantee that the 3 most talented players remain at the club

And he as a NCFC employee has completely let down the club and the fans

Get real 

t

I now don't know whether you are stupid, a c*u*n*t or both of those things, but nothing you are saying has anything at all to do what I have said, so I'll just go with both and remind myself in future that your posts aren't worth reading.

47 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

Which wouldn’t stand up in a court of law.  Imagine if your employer unilaterally brought in a code of conduct which dictated your behaviour outside of working hours, and then terminated your contract if you breached it.  You’re having a laugh.

It might if it was properly worded you would be surprised what top executives have to sign up for. Lots of companies forbid relationships between staff which I think got maybe McDonalds chief executive sacked. If done properly it should work let’s be honest it really only needs to cover criminal offences.

13 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It might if it was properly worded you would be surprised what top executives have to sign up for. Lots of companies forbid relationships between staff which I think got maybe McDonalds chief executive sacked. If done properly it should work let’s be honest it really only needs to cover criminal offences.

MPs immediately lose their job of they receive a prison sentence of 3 or more months in duration, that's another example.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

I think he's been crucified for then getting into a car, and furthermore having a collision.  I don't see many people attacking him for just having a drink.

I couldn’t be bothered to answer such a stupid point! Driving over a tonne on 8 pints is illegal and chuffing dangerous! He’s in a position in his employment at our club to be a role model for our younger supporters! As far as I’m concerned he’s utterly stupid and I wonder if it’s his first time drink driving!

I now don't know whether you are stupid, a c*u*n*t or both of those things, but nothing you are saying has anything at all to do what I have said, so I'll just go with both and remind myself in future that your posts aren't worth reading.

Obviously from your crude language you are still at school or illiterate 

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

That was in the US.  In the UK, you can have policies requiring disclosure to ensure no conflicts of interest and that the organisation can manage its own risk, but I'm not sure whether you can entirely ban it.

But in the US you can be fired for no reason whatsoever, and most of the time the advice will be not to give any reason for it.  I don't think we really want that over here.

To be fair, there are people who have those contractual stipulations. The alcohol limit is significantly lower for train drivers than it is car drivers, to the extent that even having two pints the night before a shift is not advised.

That's a restriction on state in work.  You can drink as much as you like before your shift so long as you don't blow over a very low limit as soon as you start.  Human physiology translates that into not having x point y hours before a shift, but the point of measure is when you go on shift.

So 8 pints in a session in the week of our biggest games of the season, I will reiterate…utterly ridiculous even before getting into a car and driving. Personally I will think less of our club if he’s on the pitch Sunday, he’s an experienced pro that’s acted like a teenager without a brain cell, he has let the club down big style.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Wait, are you implying that eight pints isn't a lot?

For a professional footballer, less than a week before the biggest game of the season, it's an absolutely ridiculous amount. And that's before you take into account he decided to drive.

I'm not implying that 8 pints isn't a lot.  I'm flat out saying that 8 pints isn't a lot, per se.  It certainly isn't 'we should fire him' 'a lot'. 

Would I do it?  No.  But I don't process alcohol anywhere near as efficiently as I used to.  I used to be able to drink twice that and be perfectly fine for 9 am lectures as a student (law degree, engaging with the lecturer).  Now 2 pints is a lot for me.

The issue is not him drinking 8 pints (and that's a guess, it could be much lower) but getting into a car after that.  That's the **** move.

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Pre 9pm isn't indicative of a heavy night out though, so he was either dropping his car off and someone picking him back up, going elsewhere afterwards.  Or there was a genuine emergency that lead to him jumping in the car and having a collision.

102mg! If that ain't a heavy session I'd hate to be on a night out with him matching drink for drink and finishing by 9pm when he was.

Perhaps someone here can remind George Best that he should have been really **** all the times he came on the pitch after a night out.  Gazza? 

I'm not suggesting that Shane Duffy is Gazza quality, just that everyone here is making massive assumptions.  Jermaine Pennant was out til 5am THE NIGHT BEFORE his Arsenal debut and hit a hat-trick against Southampton.  According to you lot, he should never have got anywhere near that match.

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

102mg! If that ain't a heavy session I'd hate to be on a night out with him matching drink for drink and finishing by 9pm when he was.

It was whether he intended to have a heavy session that I was debating.  Your post made it sound like he was planning for a heavy night due to having the additional days off, almost in a jovial manner.

I'm thinking it's more likely to have been a few on the way home, and a drinking issue has lead to it being more excessive. 

I haven't a clue on his mental state or home life, but not everyone drinks for fun.

2 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

Do you know what 102 is in pints?  35 is about 2 pints of normal strength beer, so 102 is about 6 pints, possibly 8 by the time you add digestion in.  There’s an awful lot of tee-totalers on this board it seems.

Now, don’t get me wrong.  Drinking 8 pints and getting in your car is feckin stupid, especially when you can clearly afford a taxi.  But we seem to be crucifying a guy JUST for drinking 8 pints on his relaxing couple of days.

Most of this I agree with, but just be clear I'd be a hypocrite if I criticised him for drinking 8 pints on a session. That's up to him, but I'd suggest very old school for a modern "elite" athlete.

But thinking after such a session he'd be safe to drive, nah! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It was whether he intended to have a heavy session that I was debating.  Your post made it sound like he was planning for a heavy night due to having the additional days off, almost in a jovial manner.

I'm thinking it's more likely to have been a few on the way home, and a drinking issue has lead to it being more excessive. 

I haven't a clue on his mental state or home life, but not everyone drinks for fun.

That's probably because if I knew I was going on a heavy session (say a Stag do, or someone's birthday) I'd always make sure I had a clear 24 hours of recovery before going to work (for instance taking a day off to ensure that). Or, given a few days off work, I'd perhaps organise a session but ensure 24 hour recovery. I thought most people would do likewise, so probably projected my own habits on him. [Can I say here it doesn't happen that often BTW, I just like a good sociable session with my mates to clear the cobwebs etc. every now and then]

But, even if it ended up being an impromptu boozing session, I'd never get in my car after 8 pints! 

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

That's probably because if I knew I was going on a heavy session (say a Stag do, or someone's birthday) I'd always make sure I had a clear 24 hours of recovery before going to work (for instance taking a day off to ensure that). Or, given a few days off work, I'd perhaps organise a session but ensure 24 hour recovery. I thought most people would do likewise, so probably projected my own habits on him. [Can I say here it doesn't happen that often BTW, I just like a good sociable session with my mates to clear the cobwebs etc. every now and then]

But, even if it ended up being an impromptu boozing session, I'd never get in my car after 8 pints! 

Agreed on all points.

To be clear, I've previously walked down to the police station to ask to get breathalysed if I've had a few the night before.  Just to make damn sure I haven't forgotten about any I'd had, or if any singles were in fact doubles.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

No, because you're going out for a fun drinking session.  I don't know if you've met someone with a drinking problem but it's truly an illness and they don't have such an awareness.

I'm not saying that's Duffy, but it was posted on here that he's had relationship problems, his father recently died, and he has a history of drink.

It wouldn't surprise me that whereby a surprise 3 days off for most players is a grand time with their family, but someone who's not in the right mindset, with a drinking problem, and possibly living on their own - it could be a very dark, lost 72 hours.

Obviously, i'm just theorising here, but we have to be allowing of such mental factors.   The fact that this was 9pm and he was 8 pints in and got into a car suggests to me that there's a very real issue here.  This Initial tweet was posted before the news broke:

https://twitter.com/Brownbridge/status/1788172946298581174

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Clearly from a 'moral' perspective Duffy should not play for us any more in whatever is left of this season. However, there is the actual footballing point that no-one seems to have pointed out.

IF Duffy plays, it will be a major distraction on both days (v Leeds). Their fans will give him pelters and Yellows will be quick to cut him to shreds from the stands when he starts making mistakes. Imagine the scene at E Road. The atmosphere there will be the most hostile that most of our players will ever have experienced. If he plays, both the Leeds fans and players will target him unmercifully straight from the kick off. Why on earth would Wagner want to heap all that extra pressure on the team by picking him? It would be stupidity beyond belief.

53 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

I'm not implying that 8 pints isn't a lot.  I'm flat out saying that 8 pints isn't a lot, per se.  It certainly isn't 'we should fire him' 'a lot'. 

Would I do it?  No.  But I don't process alcohol anywhere near as efficiently as I used to.  I used to be able to drink twice that and be perfectly fine for 9 am lectures as a student (law degree, engaging with the lecturer).  Now 2 pints is a lot for me.

The issue is not him drinking 8 pints (and that's a guess, it could be much lower) but getting into a car after that.  That's the **** move.

I guess it depends on an individual's tolerances and their attitude towards alcohol.

For me, as a uni student when my drinking was at it's peak, I wouldn't have been able to make a 9am lecture after eight pints.

In my mind, eight pints is most definitely a lot. For a 6'4" Irishman who drinks regularly by all reports, it may not be.

It would've been less of an issue 40, maybe even 20, years ago because the majority of footballers in this country were pretty big drinkers. But players nowadays are more professional and drinking to that extent less than a week before a massive game isn't acceptable any more.