Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

£45 Women's Season Ticket

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Because like most things the Club hasn't in the past been prepared to pump prime fund. Just think if it had have closed the dormant fans trust 20 years ago and have put in £250,000 or so then.

That’s complete b******* as to the reason. Try a couple of hundred watching us 66,000 watching Arsenal etc.

Edited by Well b back

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The club only started directly managing the women's team two seasons ago. In a former guise the women's team actually won the FA Cup, something the men's team have failed to do! The impetus that could have followed the non-affiliated women's team winning the women's version of the FA Cup in 1986 was totally lost.

By the time the wider world woke up to women's football you could argue the club were either too slow to react positively with full support for the team that existed, or right to take a more cautious approach. It certainly has been the cheaper so far.

Don’t also forget, that the major clubs only really started supporting their women’s teams very recently. The good players ( there are far less currently than in the men’s game ) all signed for the big clubs, here and across the world. There is currently a huge gulf between those top women and the rest.

As I shew earlier, some of the top women like Sam Kerr earn as much as some of our men players, therefore making it impossible for clubs currently to move up the ladder, until there is an influx of players, probably in 5 to 10 years time. An even better example of a team losing out to the big clubs would be Doncaster Belles, who until the big clubs decided to play were arguably the biggest team.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

would be Doncaster Belles, who until the big clubs decided to play were arguably the biggest team.

And who "we" beat 4-3 to win the FA Cup in 1986!

45 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Try the Sheffield United match below or numerous others around the same time.

Once you include Directors (+ guests), players (+ guests), other football people (scouts) and Press I can easily see 200 comps being allocated for each and every match.

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

And who "we" beat 4-3 to win the FA Cup in 1986!

Lol

Never knew that, and they say you learn something new everyday.

• Like 1

Just now, NewNestCarrow said:

Once you include Directors (+ guests), players (+ guests), other football people (scouts) and Press I can easily see 200 comps being allocated for each and every match.

The binners manage 400 of staff and Ed Sherrans mates with no trouble.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Here is a comparison, showing 2021 and the most up dated I can get if it helps. We also have to remember the women’s games where they play selected games get large crowds ( Arsenal regularly fill the Emirates ) but the entry is quite a bit cheaper. Saying that Barca are likely to get 92,000 for their game against Chelsea this week in the champions league.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/highest-paid-women-footballers-ada-hegerberg-lyon

https://www.888sport.com/blog/football/highest-paid-female-footballers

It seems pretty unlikely that Barca women will get 92,000 as they currently play in a stadium with a maximum capacity of under 60,000!

I know two of the women team and I've not directly asked but they don't get paid much as one is in college and the other works at a supermarket.

What surprised me the most was seeing one of them at a festival in summer and I asked if they're left with diet plans or training schedule they have to adhere to, and they're just left to do as they please.

It's completely different to the mens game, you only have to go up to training to see it's more like a youth club and less regimented. 

The girls I know treat it more as a hobby that they're hopeful can be something bigger, the one currently at college has a serious decision in regards to whether she goes to Uni or not.  Professionally it's a no brainer to go to Uni, but everyone is saying she will go on to play for her country. 

Very tough decision.

35 minutes ago, Well b back said:

The binners manage 400 of staff and Ed Sherrans mates with no trouble.

Strangely enough we don't have a problem with Ed's mates either. 

41 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I know two of the women team and I've not directly asked but they don't get paid much as one is in college and the other works at a supermarket.

What surprised me the most was seeing one of them at a festival in summer and I asked if they're left with diet plans or training schedule they have to adhere to, and they're just left to do as they please.

It's completely different to the mens game, you only have to go up to training to see it's more like a youth club and less regimented. 

The girls I know treat it more as a hobby that they're hopeful can be something bigger, the one currently at college has a serious decision in regards to whether she goes to Uni or not.  Professionally it's a no brainer to go to Uni, but everyone is saying she will go on to play for her country. 

Very tough decision.

I think this sums up where women’s football is quite nicely. It’s booming at grass roots. It’s also booming right at the top end with the national team. But there is a large gap between those two things and I guess that is hard to close. The reality is unless you are studying you will need to be working one or two other jobs or you need to be at the top level and adding income via sponsorship or social media.

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

Try the Sheffield United match below or numerous others around the same time.

20240417_111850.jpg

The same applies that the complimentary figures include stewards, Police, St Johns Ambulance etc, etc.

I would give you the authors e-mail address but i really don't think that would be wise.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

the one currently at college has a serious decision in regards to whether she goes to Uni or not.  Professionally it's a no brainer to go to Uni, but everyone is saying she will go on to play for her country. 

I would have thought she's in a better position, if Uni is an option, than others. I guess it all depends on what she is planning to study.

If she was at Loughborough for instance, who have very good facilities, she could almost train as much as our men's' first team squad. Inevitably however that would probably mean she would have to play for them if she is really of international standard.

The club could "loan" her to the club nearest her Uni for the duration of her studies if it was out of reasonable commuting distance (does that mean anywhere other than UEA or Cambridge?) and / or arrange for local training during the week with expense paid travel for matches at weekend.

She could study at Sheffield and be loaned in her first year to either Sheffield Club or Wednesday to prove herself (both at similar level to Norwich), then aim for a loan to Sheffield United, currently in the Championship, for the remainder of her studies? Then come back to Norwich a fully formed footballer and still with 10 good years ahead of her.

There have been a few male pro's who managed to get a degree before fully focussing on football and playing at the highest level, although that was a few years ago now. Stevie Coppell springs to mind, there were others.

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

Because like most things the Club hasn't in the past been prepared to pump prime fund. Just think if it had have closed the dormant fans trust 20 years ago and have put in £250,000 or so then.

How does the club do that when it has no jurisdiction on that shareholding ?

50 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

How does the club do that when it has no jurisdiction on that shareholding ?

Also ignoring the fact that the trust was run by trustees, not the Club. But let’s ignore the hard facts, especially when there’s a big stick to be waved repeatedly in the direction of the Club… 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm guessing my estimate is upper limit, but I think a club of our stature would be facing a lot of criticism if we were paying the women as full-time professional footballers as little as a hundred quid a game, which wouldn't even make the living wage.

Perhaps @Essex Canary

Well yeah obviously we would face criticism if we paid anybody £100 a week for full time work as it would be highly illegal. But our ladies team is not full time professional, we need to go up 2 levels to make that even half feasible. 

19 hours ago, essex canary said:

Where is the equality?

It is £45 for a man to buy a season ticket, and it is £45 for a woman to buy a season ticket. There is your equality. You are an odd old fellow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, essex canary said:

What right do you think the club had to close a trust which was completely independent of the club with it's own set of trustees? I thought you were an accountant?

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

The club only started directly managing the women's team two seasons ago. In a former guise the women's team actually won the FA Cup, something the men's team have failed to do! The impetus that could have followed the non-affiliated women's team winning the women's version of the FA Cup in 1986 was totally lost.

By the time the wider world woke up to women's football you could argue the club were either too slow to react positively with full support for the team that existed, or right to take a more cautious approach. It certainly has been the cheaper so far.

To be honest, it seems the numbers are such that it would be worth playing catch up on the face of it? It's only going to grow in the future

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Why is our women's team competing at such a low level relative to the men's team? It seems weird to have such a big disparity.

Most professional clubs until very recently didn’t have a ladies section, a lot of local clubs will have clubs of a higher status as it helps them achieve charter standard status which gives the club more funding from the FA 

Women’s football an elite level is or at least was political, before the introduction of the women’s super league a few years ago we had the likes of Notts County and Bristol academy (not city and managed by former England manager mark Sampson) playing at the top level however both fell away for more fashionable clubs like Man City and Man Utd who quickly became established at their parent clubs. 

in Norwich’s case the club would’ve been asked by a collection of ladies if they could represent the Norwich brand in the local ladies leagues, then when Flo Allen came on board the club was ‘bought into’ the main fold and they have gone from a local club to now competiting in a regionalised southern league and playing the likes of London seaward and Cambridge city - I managed a ladies side 2-3 leagues below them in the beds and Herts league. 

i used to work with and keep in touch with a current Norwich city ladies player, they train twice a week and have at most 2 matches a week, they are just below semi pro and would suggest they get paid £100 or so a week 

they will continue to grow the club as the ladies game continues to grow (exponentially over the last 5-10 years thanks to the lionesses) I would suggest within 10 years we will see regular carrow road appearances perhaps back to back with the men’s games and they will be knocking on the door of the WSL as the number of teams in that division grow 

After all the girls teams in many county FA league are outgrowing the boys teams and this expected to rise it will have a natural knock on effect into the adult game in the next few years 

Edited by Yobocop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

I think this sums up where women’s football is quite nicely. It’s booming at grass roots. It’s also booming right at the top end with the national team. But there is a large gap between those two things and I guess that is hard to close. The reality is unless you are studying you will need to be working one or two other jobs or you need to be at the top level and adding income via sponsorship or social media.

I guess this is similar to the late 80s and early 90s when Lower league players would have to have a secondary income, let’s not forget Stuart Pearce was an electrician before he joined Forest. 

what changed it in the men’s game from an ok earner to a mega earner was the introduction of the premier league and the sky money. Also I think euro 96 played a big part but that’s one for another day. 

7 hours ago, Commonsense said:

It seems pretty unlikely that Barca women will get 92,000 as they currently play in a stadium with a maximum capacity of under 60,000!

R you are correct, I saw almost sold out and knowing last year against Wolfsburg in the semi they got 91,700 I made an assumption it was at the Nou Camp without realising they had to move the game due to the short notice of the fixture. You are indeed right that the Olympic stadium holds 60,000.

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

The same applies that the complimentary figures include stewards, Police, St Johns Ambulance etc, etc.

I would give you the authors e-mail address but i really don't think that would be wise.

That is a hell of a lot of police and stewards etc.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GMF said:

Also ignoring the fact that the trust was run by trustees, not the Club. But let’s ignore the hard facts, especially when there’s a big stick to be waved repeatedly in the direction of the Club… 

What is the significance of Club Life Presidents who are listed immediately under Directors in the Programme listing and clearly at times have other links with the Club as would appear to be the case here?

Not to mention a NCFC website message that says 'Please be aware that NCFC is not connected to the Canaries Trust in any way" when in fact it apparently has a Memorandum of Understanding with same.

Edited by essex canary

I assume all those folks who are so concerned about this from an equality pov are staunchly attending all the women's games?  Excluding Stuart Webber obviously.

26 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

I assume all those folks who are so concerned about this from an equality pov are staunchly attending all the women's games?  Excluding Stuart Webber obviously.

Most definitely, all matches to be played at Carrow Road next season due to ticket demand. 

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

That is a hell of a lot of police and stewards etc.

You happen to have a chap with an extensive knowledge of such numbers and just to give you a flavour it was not unusual for around 250- 300 officers to be on duty for an awful lot of games with them being brought in from all over Norfolk.

3 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

It is £45 for a man to buy a season ticket, and it is £45 for a woman to buy a season ticket. There is your equality. You are an odd old fellow.

Just to square the circle in the equality field it also costs £45 for someone who doesn’t identify as either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You happen to have a chap with an extensive knowledge of such numbers and just to give you a flavour it was not unusual for around 250- 300 officers to be on duty for an awful lot of games with them being brought in from all over Norfolk.

Around the turn of the century for 15,000 crowds or thereabouts against the likes of Shrffield United and Gillingham? If so I guess that explains some of it.