Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Pitch invasion at Bayer

Never been to Leverkusen been Dortmund a number of times and a friend I know over there is gutted Leverkusen have won it particularly after Dortmund went so close last season 

I’m pleased to see someone different win it 

Always good to see a different team win the title and break the streak of the dominant force.

Apparently one of the key factors in Alonso agreeing to stay on next season was the promise that no key players would be sold, so it will be interesting to see how the title defence goes. History has shown that teams who unexpectedly win, or come close to winning, the league generally find it extremely tough to replicate, but this Leverkusen side does look pretty well equipped to have a good go.

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Harry Kane is cursed 🤣🤣

Poor old Harry ,he can't buy a team that wins things .no luck and a great player.

Leverkusen will get the plaudits as a sensation this season, but little Heidenheim deserve a big shout-out as well. No-one expected them to stay up but they're looking like they're going to finish in mid-table in their first ever season in the Bundesliga.

They even beat Bayern 3-2 at home after being 0-2 down at half-time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Always good to see a different team win the title and break the streak of the dominant force.

Apparently one of the key factors in Alonso agreeing to stay on next season was the promise that no key players would be sold, so it will be interesting to see how the title defence goes. History has shown that teams who unexpectedly win, or come close to winning, the league generally find it extremely tough to replicate, but this Leverkusen side does look pretty well equipped to have a good go.

This. Napoli were superb last season in winning Serie A.. this year nowhere near it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spillay said:

This. Napoli were superb last season in winning Serie A.. this year nowhere near it

The manager left though, so it’s very different to what Alonso is building at Leverkusen.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is rather different though. Leverkusen haven’t come from nowhere, they’ve been around the top spot for years, finishing second on more than one occasion-it’s just that they never won it, hence the nickname Neverkusen. 

25 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

The manager left though, so it’s very different to what Alonso is building at Leverkusen.

Even if Spalletti had stayed, they wouldn't have replicated it. The official reason for him leaving was a petty disagreement with the president, which was undoubtedly a factor as they're both stubborn old men, but I believe that Spalletti knew deep down that he couldn't repeat the feat and it was always going to be an impossible job this season for whoever took over, as it has proved. They're already on their third coach of the season and they'll change again in the summer.

22 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

This is rather different though. Leverkusen haven’t come from nowhere, they’ve been around the top spot for years, finishing second on more than one occasion-it’s just that they never won it, hence the nickname Neverkusen. 

Obviously it's not like a Leicester or a Kaiserslautern, and not even a Montpellier or a Stuttgart. But they had never won the Bundesliga before despite being there or thereabouts a few times over the past two or three decades, so the comparison with Napoli is probably the best one.

I can't see Leverkusen struggling the way Napoli have though; they seem to have more stability about them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Even if Spalletti had stayed, they wouldn't have replicated it. The official reason for him leaving was a petty disagreement with the president, which was undoubtedly a factor as they're both stubborn old men, but I believe that Spalletti knew deep down that he couldn't repeat the feat and it was always going to be an impossible job this season for whoever took over, as it has proved. They're already on their third coach of the season and they'll change again in the summer.

Obviously it's not like a Leicester or a Kaiserslautern, and not even a Montpellier or a Stuttgart. But they had never won the Bundesliga before despite being there or thereabouts a few times over the past two or three decades, so the comparison with Napoli is probably the best one.

I can't see Leverkusen struggling the way Napoli have though; they seem to have more stability about them.

I'd actually say IFK Mariehamn in Finland may be a better comparison. They won the 2016 Finnish league, but haven't been anywhere near since.

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd actually say IFK Mariehamn in Finland may be a better comparison. They won the 2016 Finnish league, but haven't been anywhere near since.

Don’t forget Verona in 84/85.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Indeed. It's still a very big win but it's not exactly a leicester

Nevermind that Bayer are of course backed by, well, the Bayer company who are worth 20 billion+. Even added the companys name to their team name which yeah, strange how RB Lepzig gets tons of hate for it but Bayer seems to have been let off

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Yep, that's an even better shout, come to think of it. They'd slowly built their way up under Osvaldo Bagnoli (who I think was in the dugout for Inter Milan against us) and had some real class in their ranks with Preben Elkjaer and Hans-Peter Briegel.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Not a bad achievement for a works team.

They're the Total Network Solutions of Germany.

*edit - I've just read that TNS was purely a sponsorship thing, so my joke fails*

Edited by Canarywary

57 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nevermind that Bayer are of course backed by, well, the Bayer company who are worth 20 billion+. Even added the companys name to their team name which yeah, strange how RB Lepzig gets tons of hate for it but Bayer seems to have been let off

I think that's probably because a) a fair few people outside of Germany probably don't know that about Bayer and b) RB seemed to go on a total sporting blitz and buy multiple teams across different sports, in a short time spell, which I think feels a lot more in your face. They even owned 2 of the 11 or so F1 teams at one point (maybe still do, I'm not sure).

Any other company teams out there doing well? PSV is/was a Philips team. Vauxhall Motors...

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Indeed. It's still a very big win but it's not exactly a leicester

The difference is that Leipzig wanted to get rid of the 50+1 rule which would've changed the Bundesliga in favour of rich owners.

50+1 means the fans still have a say in the way clubs are run and it makes the protests like we saw earlier this season have more of an impact.

17 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Never been to Leverkusen been Dortmund a number of times and a friend I know over there is gutted Leverkusen have won it particularly after Dortmund went so close last season 

I’m pleased to see someone different win it 

Watched Germany play Moldova in a World Cup qualifier there back in the 90s, ground only had 3 stands and a grass embankment behind one of the goals, I’m sure it’s a lot different now though 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Leicester City are the best example surely? Making a hash of promotion as we all know this season 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Watched Germany play Moldova in a World Cup qualifier there back in the 90s, ground only had 3 stands and a grass embankment behind one of the goals, I’m sure it’s a lot different now though 🤣🤣🤣

Pretty sure that’s the old stadium which is in front of the new one - they’ve kept it 

On 15/04/2024 at 19:27, Yobocop said:

Pretty sure that’s the old stadium which is in front of the new one - they’ve kept it 

Ah right, thanks for the update

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Bayer’s involvement in the Holocaust to be honest.