Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Binners twice in the semis or once in the final?

Thought I would get a nice Monday morning hypothetical going. So let's say this season ends up boiling down to one of two possibilities.

Either we end up playing the binners twice in the semis, one home match and one away

Or

We play them just once in the playoff final at Wembley.

Would of those two scenarios would you feel more comfortable with? 

Obviously we have done the semis with them before, while a final would be new.

Honestly.. I'm not sure I could cope with either. Sure we may be unbeaten against them in the leauge this season but the thought of having to play them again even more so in a playoff match does rather give me heart palpitations

Not the final. I’m confident we have their number over 1 leg or 2 but the mere possibility of losing to them at Wembley just doesn’t even bear thinking about.

• Like 3

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Not the final. I’m confident we have their number over 1 leg or 2 but the mere possibility of losing to them at Wembley just doesn’t even bear thinking about.

This 100%, why on earth would we want them to get a day at Wembley for a start, but one that possibly ends in them promoted over us. Can’t think of anything worse.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

This 100%, why on earth would we want them to get a day at Wembley for a start, but one that possibly ends in them promoted over us. Can’t think of anything worse.

Good point. Pretty sure the binners are one of only a tiny number of top two divison sides that have never played at the new Wembley..

And here's hoping that record stays 

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Russ in the semis. Daniel at Wembley. 2 PL victories against the Binners next season.

It would be so much funnier if we did them in the semis, especially with all of the crowing they've done about how great they are, especially as they wouldn't even get a day out at Wembley then (which they;ve never played at, one of only about 6 teams in the whole EFL)....

• Like 2

Us to play the Saints in the semis with WBA beating them over two legs and we then obviously win at Wembley! I do like Mondays! Some younger ones on here won't get that. Clue: BTRs. 

• Like 1

We would be the calmer and more confident in either scenario. We have far more experienced players and we would be on an up whereas they would be crushed. 

To be honest I’m hoping for Southampton in the semis and West Brom in the final, I’m not sure my nerves can take playing them again this season. If I had to choose though I’d play them over two legs 

Looking at Twtd, some Ipswich fans seem to misunderstand the delight in beating them on Saturday. It wasn't just that we kept the run going, though that is certainly amusing, but we did it by gaining three points towards a playoff spot rather than one. 

Sadly I still think theyll end up in 2nd.

Theres something about this Leeds team I dont trust.

Obvioiusly should we run into Leeds in the semis ,theyd be world beaters again

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Much as I try not have this fixation with a them and us mentality it is just so hard however hard I try.I even took my wife out for afternoon tea (it was her birthday after all) on Saturday because I/we couldnt bare to listen or watch the game for the dread of losing.Boy did it make our day when we found out on our drive home that we had won.
As for the question.I only really want to see Ipswich again in the Prem.I will take S'hampton or WBA in the semi/final.If we lost to either of those it would not be so gut wrenching because I have this awful feeling that the day Ipswich finally beat us it would be either at the semi or final stage of the season.

Edited by Grumpy

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Risk/reward isn't it. The potential awfulness of a loss is only balanced by the potential joy of a win.

Saying that I'd rather not play them at all. Hope they miss top two, we somehow don't get them in the semi finals and whoever does takes care of them for us. 

• Like 2

Not at all

imagine we go up and they don’t

it would end them as a club, end them. 

Not Wembley. 

I've been a City fan for nearly 39 years and have never seen us play at Wembley. (I was living abroad in 2015.)

When we get there I'd like to enjoy it. Against anyone else I could do that regardless of the result. Especially in a playoff final given what mixed feelings I have about the PL. 

But against Ipswich the fear of losing would take a lot of the pleasure out of it for me.

The route whereby we beat Southampton and WBA beat the binners is by far the best choice.

2 hours ago, Mutley said:

Us to play the Saints in the semis with WBA beating them over two legs and we then obviously win at Wembley! I do like Mondays! Some younger ones on here won't get that. Clue: BTRs. 

Tell me why...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I know Wembley has hosted local derbies from time to time and I know London is a big place, but can you imagine 90,000 sharing the same trains, buses, coaches, roads etc. It would be carnage and even if it wasn't the police presence would probably just spoil the whole occasion.

We needn't worry just yet. Our run in is a lot harder than people think and Brum away last game of the season could see both teams needing a win for different reasons.