Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Leicester made me reflect on favourite city team makeup!

Leicester performance was almost depressing - given how we showed virtually no ambition at all. Time to reflect on the good times and think of the make up of the best city 11 players I have seen and supported, came up with this:

Goalkeeper: Angus Gunn

Defence: Culverhouse    Bruce   Watson   Bowen

Midfield:  Wes  Peters  Crook  Huckerby 

Attack:    Pukki  Sutton

Subs: B.Gunn, Forbes, R.Fox, McDougall , D.Fox , Crouch, Buendia

This team would probably get us comfortably in the premier league 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

Leicester performance was almost depressing - given how we showed virtually no ambition at all. Time to reflect on the good times and think of the make up of the best city 11 players I have seen and supported, came up with this:

I think dad was superior to son and maybe Chris Woods superior to both. Buendia has to make the starting eleven of any Norwich side. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

Crouch was a very good loan with four goals in 15 games, but I'm not sure if he deserves to be anywhere near this team unless he's being judged on the player he became rather the one who featured here. 

The best striker I've seen in a Norwich shirt since I was realistically old enough to form opinions of players, which is probably shortly after the turn of the century, is Dean Ashton. 

26 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Crouch was a very good loan with four goals in 15 games, but I'm not sure if he deserves to be anywhere near this team unless he's being judged on the player he became rather the one who featured here. 

The best striker I've seen in a Norwich shirt since I was realistically old enough to form opinions of players, which is probably shortly after the turn of the century, is Dean Ashton. 

Ashton was pure class, if only we’d signed him earlier in the season. 

I’d have Green and Ruddy above A. Gunn. A little too young to properly remember B.Gunn. 

Holt not in Ashton’s class in terms of ability, but I think would have to at least make the bench in an xi I can remember watching.

Posted (edited)

Woods

Culverhouse

Bowen

Watson

Bruce

Hucks 

Tettey

Peters 

Sutton 

Goss

Pukki 

Based purely on who I have enjoyed watching.. Close- Holt, Drinkell , Fleck  and bizarrely Louie Donawa as I was a winger in my younger days. Obviously should have added Mick Channon who joined in his latter years, but OMG he was class and played with a smile on his face.

Edited by Channon’s Windmill

In my time 

Krul 

Helveg, Bassong, Mackay, Drury

Tettey, 

Buendia  Hoolahan Huckerby 

Holt, Bellamy 

Subs: B. Gunn, Fleming, Whitbread, D. Fox, Fer, Ashton, Pukki 

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think dad was superior to son and maybe Chris Woods superior to both. Buendia has to make the starting eleven of any Norwich side. 

And Keelan superior to them

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not sure about Bryan/Angus but with Emi you are spot on. Woods was a great keeper too, but I think for fans of “an era” Keelan would be the same as “Banks in goal” when people try to put together an all time England XI 

It’s a tough ask all round, in fairness.

Culverhouse and Bowen seem pretty much automatics to me. But at centre half if you go Watson and Bruce you leave out Newsome, Linighan, Bassong, Fleming etc

Crook has to play but playing that kind of playmaker, who do you put him with? Damien Francis box to box, Gary Holt type? Are we looking at pacy wingers? Do you go Hucks or Eadie on the left? Where does Buendia fit in? And who the hell do you pick up top? Sutton, Drinkell, Fleck, Ashton, Roberts, Holt, Bellamy, Pukki…

Then there’s Fox, Gordon, Redmond and Wes bloody Hoolahan…and so many more…

Too hard. 😂

• Like 2

Woods

Culverhouse

Watson

Bruce

Bowen

Peters

Crook

Phelan

Huckerby

MacDougall

Boyer

B Gunn, Drury, Fleming, Williams, Buendia, Sutton, Drinkell.

5 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

It’s a tough ask all round, in fairness.

Culverhouse and Bowen seem pretty much automatics to me. But at centre half if you go Watson and Bruce you leave out Newsome, Linighan, Bassong, Fleming etc

Crook has to play but playing that kind of playmaker, who do you put him with? Damien Francis box to box, Gary Holt type? Are we looking at pacy wingers? Do you go Hucks or Eadie on the left? Where does Buendia fit in? And who the hell do you pick up top? Sutton, Drinkell, Fleck, Ashton, Roberts, Holt, Bellamy, Pukki…

Then there’s Fox, Gordon, Redmond and Wes bloody Hoolahan…and so many more…

Too hard. 😂

You are not wrong - I could add at least 5 players that I missed if I did it again.

The one thing it proves is that over the last 50 odd years we have had some great players to watch at Carrow Road!

For a team from the last twenty five years or so that I can remember watching us, full backs are probably the weakest position.

Drury the obvious shout at left back and probably Aarons at right back. 

Edworthy? Helveg mentioned above who I was excited about signing but only 20 games. Lappin? Russ Martin I suppose.

Whereas up top you’re struggling to get Earnshaw even on the bench and in midfield you’re probably not starting Maddison.

Woods

Culverhouse Watson Bruce Bowen

Mulryne Crook

Buendia Wes Maddison

Ashton

Subs: B Gunn, Drury, Newsome, Polston, Fleming, G Holt, Goss Drinkell, Eadie, Holt, Sutton, Huckerby, Fleck, Donuha, Disco

16 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Quite - dare I suggest we might want to consider Harry Kane if thinking of the player they became?!  Neither he nor Crouch were the best when with us, Sutton, Holt and Ashton being just three who were better imo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's hard to choose because do you look at a player for their form when they were at their best or over a longer period of time? An example would be Bassong in his first season here was the best CB I've seen play for us but his form fell off a cliff after that so while 2012/13 Bassong would get in our best team over the last 20 or so years it's hard to make a case for putting him in that side for his performances after that season. 

I'm struggling with this one tbh and I have a lot less players to choose from than most on here as I started supporting the season we lost the play off final. I'm going to pick players based on the peak of their form playing for us instead of longer term and performances or how good they went on to be at other clubs and performances in the PL will trump performances at lower levels.

Krul

Martin Bassong Mackay Drury

Buendia Howson Tettey Huckerby

Pukki Holt 

Players like Skipp, Maddison, Wes, Gary Holt, Johnson, Ruddy, Green, Ashton etc unlucky to be left out but none of them either played for us in the PL, were really much good in the top flight or one of the players in the team were better at their absolute peak. Hardest choices were definitely GK and midfield. Krul in the PL was unbelievably good, fullbacks were tricky as I don't think we've had one in my memory that's been really good in the top flight, Drury arguably covering for Hucks, RB was hard to find anyone outstanding but Martin was solid in 2011/12. With midfield you could pick 10 players unlucky to miss out that one was hard but for different reasons, Tettey might raise an eyebrow but for me in 2012/13 he was the best DM I've seen play for us in the PL. Pukki has to be there and close between Holt and Ashton but Holt brought more to our overall play and team mentality. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Tough ask this, but had a go...

Greeno, Culverhouse, Newsome, Bassong, Drury, Emi, Crook, Goss, Huckerby, Bellamy, Sutton.

So many good'uns left out, but tried to focus on those who had real ability and made an impact in the Prem or Champs.