Posted (edited)

Seeing something Indian is a reminder to pull up this piece of classic YouTube internet comedy history. For those who haven't seen it, the subtitles are not a translation, they're what the "translator" actually thinks the song is in English going off the sounds of the words in the language in question.

EDIT: Also fitting, as Chennai is the capital of Tamil Nadu, and the language here is Tamil.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Didn't realise Owen Coyle was managing out in India.

Wonder what we will consider the main benefits will be from this link up. I'm guessing it might be slightly more corporate than the more all encompassing Coratiba link up. If it was more about sharing scouting knowledge you'd think we'd be looking in East Asia or North Africa, less so the Indian Subcontinent. 

20 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Didn't realise Owen Coyle was managing out in India.

Wonder what we will consider the main benefits will be from this link up. I'm guessing it might be slightly more corporate than the more all encompassing Coratiba link up. If it was more about sharing scouting knowledge you'd think we'd be looking in East Asia or North Africa, less so the Indian Subcontinent. 

Seems that MS Dhoni is also a part-owner of the club. I'd imagine this is more a commercial than a footballing partnership, which is why Sam Jeffery (our Commercial Director) is our representative out there. A nation of 1.5bn people is quite the emerging market, so if Dhoni is involved then that gives our club quite a lot of exposure in the Indian market. As you say, I'd be surprised if there's much of a talent pathway that could benefit us in this deal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Seems that MS Dhoni is also a part-owner of the club. I'd imagine this is more a commercial than a footballing partnership, which is why Sam Jeffery (our Commercial Director) is our representative out there. A nation of 1.5bn people is quite the emerging market, so if Dhoni is involved then that gives our club quite a lot of exposure in the Indian market. As you say, I'd be surprised if there's much of a talent pathway that could benefit us in this deal.

Whilst I agree with the talent pathway at the moment, as you say, it's a country of 1.5bn people, there will be some naturally gifted footballers there, they just don't have the focus on football for them to be spotted and developed. As that changes though, there will be huge talent out there... But this will mainly be a commercial/exposure thing I reckon...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Whilst I agree with the talent pathway at the moment, as you say, it's a country of 1.5bn people, there will be some naturally gifted footballers there, they just don't have the focus on football for them to be spotted and developed. As that changes though, there will be huge talent out there... But this will mainly be a commercial/exposure thing I reckon...

I'm just not sure there's much appetite for football in India. Despite the amount of money in the Indian economy, they can still only muster a 12-team Super League, and only four of those teams average more than 10,000 spectators. Also, India are ranked 117th in the world, behind the likes of Kyrgyzstan, Mauritania and Haiti.

I genuinely can't think of a single Indian footballer who has made any impact in the international game, but I'm happy to be corrected. Baichung Bhutia had a year at Bury back in the day, and Sunil Chhetri (who's India's captain, record goalscorer and widely regarded as the best ever Indian footballer) had short and failed spells in MLS and then with Sporting Lisbon's B team.

I can only think that it's the omnipresence of cricket in the national psyche that's responsible for this complete lack of progress in India's footballing infrastructure.

Posted (edited)

We had Zesh Rehman at one point who was Indian I believe? But the list is small. This is pure commercial. I can't see how we can benefit from this deal any other way.

Update: Nope, he was Pakistani

Edited by Michael Starr

Posted (edited)

Zesh Rahman was also very much a British Asian, born in Birmingham. Didn't play out in Asia until the second half of his career.

I think Michael Chopra's dad was Indian, probably the highest profile potential India national team player in my time watching. Although I don't think he ever did play for India.

Football is certainly growing in India but it's obviously magnitudes smaller than cricket and likely always will be. In my experience cricket is still the go to sport for most British Indians whereas Brits of Pakistani origin seem to be moving towards football. That is just my personal experience though so I might be well off.

An example of a massive population really embracing football would be China and they don't seem to export many players to Europe. Of course the economics of their league probably make staying at home a better choice than risking it moving to Europe for a lot of players.

Edited by KeiranShikari

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Don’t forget our very own Danny Batth. 

I was in Chennai a few months back. Obviously cricket is the number one sport, but especially with the males there is a real interest in the EPL.  Most of them support an EPL team and stay up late to watch evening games.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/indian-football/news-single-greatest-sports-growth-economy-story-former-general-secretary-premier-league-nic-coward-rise-sporting-market-india

We had people at that conference, so i'd imagine we're just securing a link in anticipation of that growth.

Interestingly Lotus also announced it was entering the Indian market the same month, maybe there's a little incentive to display their logo where our badge features?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There have been a few British South Asians who have made it in the professional game – I'm talking about people who were born and raised in India. 

14 hours ago, Google Bot said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/indian-football/news-single-greatest-sports-growth-economy-story-former-general-secretary-premier-league-nic-coward-rise-sporting-market-india

We had people at that conference, so i'd imagine we're just securing a link in anticipation of that growth.

Interestingly Lotus also announced it was entering the Indian market the same month, maybe there's a little incentive to display their logo where our badge features?

Good spot!

5 minutes ago, Bigbrenn said:

Will Webber be allowed to stop off there on the way to Everest? 

You’d hope so, a speech from Stu could make the bond feel even closer. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm just not sure there's much appetite for football in India. Despite the amount of money in the Indian economy, they can still only muster a 12-team Super League, and only four of those teams average more than 10,000 spectators. Also, India are ranked 117th in the world, behind the likes of Kyrgyzstan, Mauritania and Haiti.

I genuinely can't think of a single Indian footballer who has made any impact in the international game, but I'm happy to be corrected. Baichung Bhutia had a year at Bury back in the day, and Sunil Chhetri (who's India's captain, record goalscorer and widely regarded as the best ever Indian footballer) had short and failed spells in MLS and then with Sporting Lisbon's B team.

I can only think that it's the omnipresence of cricket in the national psyche that's responsible for this complete lack of progress in India's footballing infrastructure.

Kabaddi too, which if I remember correctly is the most popular sport in the regions where cricket isn't number one.  Commercially I understand the logic, but even then I'm not entirely sure how much exposure this will really grant across the sub continent.  One of those which looks good on paper, but in reality will be difficult to gain from.

43 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You’d hope so, a speech from Stu could make the bond feel even closer. 

Hmmm, not going to say what I’m thinking on this subject 😏

18 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

It’s because of the climate. Kids don’t wear jumpers, so they don’t have anything to make goalposts with.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Kabaddi too, which if I remember correctly is the most popular sport in the regions where cricket isn't number one.  Commercially I understand the logic, but even then I'm not entirely sure how much exposure this will really grant across the sub continent.  One of those which looks good on paper, but in reality will be difficult to gain from.

I remember that when a couple of  QPR fans came on here lauding some kind of sponsorship deal they had done in Asia that Bethnal, who knows the region, said unless you were one of the top half dozen world famous clubs it wouldn’t have much of an impact at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Kabaddi too,

I remember way back either Ch4 or Ch5 going big into Kabaddi thinking they could raise it's profile over here.

17 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Was this supposed to be a DM to DW?

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I remember way back either Ch4 or Ch5 going big into Kabaddi thinking they could raise it's profile over here.

West Bengal were my Kabaddi team.

On 02/04/2024 at 17:34, Feedthewolf said:

Think of it this way. Would you rather buy Microsoft at 10 cents or Microsoft at 100  dollars. It's all a matter of how much risk you want.

On 03/04/2024 at 12:37, PurpleCanary said:

I remember that when a couple of  QPR fans came on here lauding some kind of sponsorship deal they had done in Asia that Bethnal, who knows the region, said unless you were one of the top half dozen world famous clubs it wouldn’t have much of an impact at all.

Like 1p5wich you mean? 😉

• Haha 1

On 02/04/2024 at 13:43, A Load of Squit said:

I like their badge.

I cannot do the link but there is a Guardian piece today on this. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I cannot do the link but there is a Guardian piece today on this. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/11/footballs-on-the-rise-here-european-teams-seek-global-outreach-in-india

Not a huge amount of info in this piece, really. Seems quite a speculative move at this stage.

Edited by Robert N. LiM