Pick a current player who think is underrated at the moment and player who is overrated. Here are my current ones.

Underrated 

Jack Stacey my my he’s turning into an amazing signing. Free transfer and a large sum pocketed for selling Aaron’s. Six assists and a real threat down the right. 

Overrated

While by no means do I think this guy is not a good player I feel there is a slight over egging of how good Nunez is. He’s still quite inconsistent and struggles to impose himself in games against the better championship teams.

Posted (edited)

Duffy overrated

Edited by daly

Underrated - Hanley.

Overrated - the current 2nd coming of Christ that is Sorensen. Doesn't mean I think he's crap mind you.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Under - Gibson 

Over - Rowe 

I agree on Gibson has been our best centre half this season.

But Rowe come on that is harsh. 13 goals from midfield.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Indeed. Those kind of stats get you a big money more to the PL. However, as much of a revelation as he has been he still doesn't get his head up as well as he could. How many assists to go along with the goals? I'd be trying to get him to stay another year and work on that side but I imagine he'll be off to a Palace/Bournemouth to work on it there.

Can see in thenother thread that whilst no one would want him sold, it is preferable to losing Sara / Sargent

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Absolutely, no argument that Rowe has been fantastic this year as an individual but he's no where near the finished article as a team player, we haven't missed him nearly as much as we missed Sarge and arguably Sainz when he was out. And that's why I think overrated.

22 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Kenny McLean for both

You are the true spirit of the Pink Un.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Pick a current player who think is underrated at the moment and player who is overrated. Here are my current ones.

Underrated 

Jack Stacey my my he’s turning into an amazing signing. Free transfer and a large sum pocketed for selling Aaron’s. Six assists and a real threat down the right. 

Overrated

While by no means do I think this guy is not a good player I feel there is a slight over egging of how good Nunez is. He’s still quite inconsistent and struggles to impose himself in games against the better championship teams.

Agreed on Stacy. Think that's harsh on Nunez even taking off my Chilean spectacles.. His link up play has been excellent recently. Last season I would have agreed 

• Like 1

Gibson certainly underrated on here and in the stands. 

• Like 3

Underrated: Stacey, with a caveat - I think this will change fairly quickly if his form holds steady. He's suffered from that mid-season blip where he looked a bit rusty and off the pace.

Honourable mentions to Barnes and Hanley for fundamentally the same reason, both as older players need longer to get back from injuries and it's still noticeable, but some voices are a bit strident in the criticism.

Overrated: Rowe, as others have said he's come up with plenty of individual moments, but he's not quite the team player needed to make that move upwards stick.

Honourable mentions to Giannoulis, but that's more a bit overrated re. his status in the squad and also as a regular international, I'm one of those who thinks McCallum's got more potential, and I would actually say Sara here because we're probably all thinking he's a slightly more complete player than he really is.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Kenny McLean for both

I was joking about this, but it is kind of true, like most of our players he has his critics and defenders, both of whom go a bit too far sometimes.

Was struggling to think of a player of whom that's not true, but actually I think these are really good shouts:

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Gibson certainly underrated on here and in the stands. 

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I would actually say Sara here because we're probably all thinking he's a slightly more complete player than he really is.

Particularly good observation about Sara. I love watching him, he's probably my favourite current player (though Borja is certainly running him close) and I think as a result I think he's better than he probably is.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Saw that GodlyOts has also nominated Gibbo

Underrated: Long. A decent keeper.

Overrated: Quick takeovers of football clubs. Where’s the fun in that?

• Haha 1

Personally, and I realise this will upset some, well, many people, I don’t think Jonny Rowe is any more overrated than Wes. He also could have games where he was completely anonymous, sometimes but not always redeemed by moments of great skill. But looked through the lens of nostalgia we only remember the great stuff. I think we will look back at Rowe similarly, although sadly I don’t think he will play for us anything like as long as Wes.

Think we're sleeping on Fassnacht a little bit as well. He's probably not quite pacey enough to be a great winger for us, but he's a thinking player who works hard and good for ghosting into dangerous areas to score.

• Like 2

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Think we're sleeping on Fassnacht a little bit as well. He's probably not quite pacey enough to be a great winger for us, but he's a thinking player who works hard and good for ghosting into dangerous areas to score.

Good shout, could go either way for me, but I think he’s going to improve on what we’ve seen so far.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

While DW is in charge, I think we need to retire the term 'winger'. It creates a very false impression of what the player in those positions are required to do. Agree about Fassnacht, too.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Personally, and I realise this will upset some, well, many people, I don’t think Jonny Rowe is any more overrated than Wes. He also could have games where he was completely anonymous, sometimes but not always redeemed by moments of great skill. But looked through the lens of nostalgia we only remember the great stuff. I think we will look back at Rowe similarly, although sadly I don’t think he will play for us anything like as long as Wes.

Yeah, that upset me. Wes can do no wrong in my memory and I don't want you coming here with your reason and logic and spoiling that. 😉 

• Sad 1

I wouldn't overrate or underrate any of them.  They are all good players, all capable in their own way - all simply at different stages of their career and situation in terms of fitness/confidence/form and age. 

Just as people like to say players become overrated when they're not playing, I do wonder if Sara has become underrated by virtue of always being there. If he wasn't in the team I don't think we'd be able to get close to replacing his production, luckily for us he's been virtually ever-present. 

• Like 1

If we're going on past players, Lukas Rupp was the epitome of underrated for a long time in my book. Said this before - he wasn't interested in incisive passes like Vrancic, Buendia or even Stiepermann, and his willingness to work hard often meant he'd be seen chasing someone in vain that someone else had missed - but he was excellent at knitting things together and not bad at picking off loose balls and setting us off on an attack with a short, effective ball to a more incisive-minded player. He had pace and workrate, and a very decent touch on him.

Garry Nelson said this about former Ipswich midfielder Steve McCall when they were both at Torquay in his book Left Foot in the Grave - "his game's not all about incisive passes, it's all about a constant stream of telling ones". Summed Rupp up perfectly.

42 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If we're going on past players, Lukas Rupp was the epitome of underrated for a long time in my book. Said this before - he wasn't interested in incisive passes like Vrancic, Buendia or even Stiepermann, and his willingness to work hard often meant he'd be seen chasing someone in vain that someone else had missed - but he was excellent at knitting things together and not bad at picking off loose balls and setting us off on an attack with a short, effective ball to a more incisive-minded player. He had pace and workrate, and a very decent touch on him.

Garry Nelson said this about former Ipswich midfielder Steve McCall when they were both at Torquay in his book Left Foot in the Grave - "his game's not all about incisive passes, it's all about a constant stream of telling ones". Summed Rupp up perfectly.

Total Agree - Rupp was massively underrated !