Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Tomkinson

Posted (edited)

Loans away working for the players not quitevready for the first team.  Accrington & Portsmouth have benefitted all season and its encouraging that Bradford and Forest Green are seeing what Tomkinson and Reyes can do too.

Edited by ZLF
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Loans away working for the players not quitevready for the first team.  Accrington & Portsmouth have benefitted all season and its encouraging that Bradford and Forest Green are seeing what Tomkinson and Reyes can do too.

It’s good that they are doing well, and that’s the point of the loan system. However, before we get too carried away remember that Bradford are in the middle of League 2, while Forest Green are at the bottom of it, so I think we’re some way away from ‘ not quite ready for the first team’

Posted (edited)

We’ll need Warner & Tomkinson if we stay in this league! (Highly Likely) especially with Knapper already referencing academy players and bringing down the average age of this squad!

Great to see all our youngsters getting lots of game time and experience ready for next year.

With Gibson & Batth out of contract it’s good to see our replacements actually doing a good job. Save on wages and start our development, but will it be under Wagner or Cuesta?

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

Irrelevantly, what stood out for me was this:

”Stanley chairman Andy Holt sacked popular long-serving manager John Coleman via WhatsApp on last Sunday, the day after a grim 4-0 defeat at Wrexham.

That decision, and the manner in which it was undertaken, did not go down well with the Accrington fans, who made their feelings known on Saturday.

It will also be an adjustment for the players, who will have to get used to the unfamiliar prospect of life at Stanley without Coleman, who barring a two-year spell from 2012 to 2014, had been in charge of the Lancashire outfit since 1999.”

22 years managing one club!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Here we go. The next player off the conveyor belt whose name will inexplicably be misspelt.  

Awww! Poor you! How do you manage to preserve the will to live?

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Here we go. The next player off the conveyor belt whose name will inexplicably be misspelt.  

Should it be Thomas Kinson?

Let's hope they scrape the play offs. Would be great experience for him in really big games. 

Good to see our young players developing although I'm not convinced they will be troubling the 1st team just yet.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Awww! Poor you! How do you manage to preserve the will to live?

It seems when you keep to words of two syllables or less you can spell after all. 

At least he’s relatively new to us, it’s people who can’t spell McLean that get me. 

Omobamidele stumped a few on here too.

And what was our former manager called again: Chris H...........

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Don't forget that Adegboyega is also progressing along said conveyor belt pretty quickly...

That will be a great one for the "I listened on the wireless" crowd on Radio Snorefolk

I know I've mentioned before that I have 3 season ticket holder friends at Bradford City (plus I've watched JT a couple of times now). He is quick and I agree with the Bradford manager, he is cultured too. I have no doubt that he is Championship standard. 

Bradford fans are unanimous in wanting their club to buy him but doubt also they'll be able to. I'm sure Adams and others will be watching him very closely. JT now starts in the centre (and on the right side) of a 3 in defence. Surely he has to be given a chance and maybe can be one of the successors to Hanley and Gibson. He is the right age and this experience is valuable.

Btw, he played very well also against L1 opposition ...Wycombe in the EFL Cup) so I do think he is far away from the standard we need.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Don't forget that Adegboyega is also progressing along said conveyor belt pretty quickly...

Out of all our young centre backs, I reckon Adegboyega is the nearest to the first team for next season.

Can we keep hold of them all? Doubt it-so Tomkinson may get another loan next season at a higher level, if he continues to impress, it'll be as it was with Mumba, either his parent club or another will want to buy him.

The bottom line of academies is indeed training and preparing young players for a professional career as a first team player....somewhere. Just not neccessarily with the club they do all of that with.

5 hours ago, Indy said:

We’ll need Warner & Tomkinson if we stay in this league! (Highly Likely) especially with Knapper already referencing academy players and bringing down the average age of this squad!

Great to see all our youngsters getting lots of game time and experience ready for next year.

With Gibson & Batth out of contract it’s good to see our replacements actually doing a good job. Save on wages and start our development, but will it be under Wagner or Cuesta?

The big obstacle is that all of them are right footed, I think Warner has had the most experience playing as a left-sided CB but I'm not sure if he's good enough to do it in the first team. Maybe Kenny becomes even more of an option there as it can be a bit of a premium, if so it wouldn't shock me if we moved on one of Hanley/Duffy especially if the young lads are judged to be close enough.

Good to have competition & players on successful loans. Probably the only downside is Warner, Tomkinson, Hills and Adegboyega play in the same position and are all right-footed. 

I reckon that will mean at least one moves on permanently in the summer (I'd think Tomkinson most likely)

• Like 1

The summer questions are (assuming we remain in the chamos) 1 whether Gibsons left leg is worth repeating his current contracted wage (injuries if nothing else confirm not) or 2 will he accepted the significantly reduced offer.   The latter is a harder choice for the club, I suspect its cheaper and prob more cost effective, to strengthen the dcm ranks and drop kenny back than it is to retain Gibson for <38 games or recruit a new starting left footed cb.