TIL 1010

Not Seen This One Before.

1 minute ago, GenerationA47 said:

Carrow Under Construction?

Boulton & Paul in the background.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Boulton & Paul in the background.

Random fact; Boulton & Paul built more of the famous WW1 plane the Sopwith Camel than the Sopwith Aviation Company did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

not much elf and safety going on there

Flatcaps were the best protection.

23 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

Oh I don't know ...........there's a bloke with a clipboard in the foreground making his assessment isn't there ? 

Just now, C.I.D said:

Oh I don't know ...........there's a bloke with a clipboard in the foreground making his assessment isn't there ? 

good old risk assessments and method statements...the practical alternative to work

54 minutes ago, Herman said:

Flatcaps were the best protection.

Fred Dibnah liked this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

That's because insurance requirements are different. Try doing anything without the correct insurance.

Blaming Health and Safety is rather like blaming the barman for being required to charge you money for your drink.

Not see that one before - cracking photo

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Here is another i have not seen before but this time The Nest.

No photo description available.

Better idea of the Nest as it is usually only that 'mad' corner that gets shown which rather gives a distorted impression of the ground.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Great photo. There's something of the Nest in the old Kråmyra Stadion in Aalesund, Norway - and that was used until 2005.

Stadionsiden

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

That is a unique view - any chance someone can clean it up using one of those AI thingies?

That aerial shot of the nest is fascinating, never seen it like that before.    You can actually see how it was angled in to that area, I never realised it sat like that.

Am I right in thinking that the train station is bottom right, and off to the bottom left will be the river with the hotel nelson? i.e. riverside road going up on the left.

For some reason I thought it was much further up the road.  I used to stay round my friends late 80s which would be pretty much bang in the middle of the pitch - didn't have a clue those houses were built after the ground, I just presumed they were much older properties.

Another great photo here:

image.thumb.png.d0dc321f7cba5e000e488cc150f4154c.png

Does that mean the white house on the corner is this building?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6284637,1.3064994,3a,75y,84.39h,92.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg6REKVWRQLAVwa6MmYmlsQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

What's crazy is looking at old maps there's barely any properties around that land, the boom throughout those next 30-40 years is unreal really.

http://www.norwich-heritage.co.uk/norwich_maps/Norwich_map_1884_zoomify.htm

Edit:

Or was it further back than Riverside road?  Anyone know?   This is map from 1884 with station at the bottom:

718128168_Screenshot2024-02-26at22_34_49.thumb.png.e27b1662573f4305f179a12b846aab22.png

Is that first aerial shot taken from the red/yellow or green/yellow position?

Edit 2: Ok, ignore me, it is further back as I expected,  That's St Leonard's road running along the bottom on the first shot that Tilly posted, I can see the houses now.   

Blew my mind for a bit thinking that was the junction near the train station, and I couldn't work out how it sat on the hill. 🙂

Edited by Google Bot

Is this the right location, can anyone confirm?

NCFC_Nest_On_gmaps.thumb.jpg.d3b868cc9475a6560f5e43336dcdc417.jpg

As a kid I was always told it was much further north where the gas works towers were.  So if that is the spot, it turns out i've been telling my lad wrong all these years too!

6 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

yeah, but old times were a little different from now 😂

The best picture I've seen of the Nest is the men on ladders. You can just about see them on this picture but there is a better one that I can't find. If you zoom in on the left hand chimney you will see underneath 3 men standing in mid air. They had ladders in their back garden and watched for free.

I think this is a cup tie against Corinthians which attracted an attendance of 26,000

Screenshot_20240227_072831_Chrome.thumb.jpg.234b7e9fcbc7e486e594db48edf0690e.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Google Bot said:

As a kid I was always told it was much further north where the gas works towers were.  So if that is the spot, it turns out i've been telling my lad wrong all these years too!

Yes I believe you are correct.

The houses on the corner of St Leonards Rd /Rosary Rd are still there (opposite the church) as is the terrace on left continuing on Rosary rd

Which is bottom Right in this pic upto the gap in the houses (access rd to the nest standing terrace)image.png

• Thanks 1

Also just noticed, the house top right in the pic of the Nest is still there, though now painted Magnolia !!

Just for balance (or imbalance) I enclose an old picture of my local team, the illustrious Margate F.C.

Dreamland Pictures

It was originally located in the infamous Dreamland near the seafront, and with limited terracing, but has long since moved to a more suitable site.

Dreamland:

Dreamland Margate 

You locals don't know what you're missing.😁

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 hours ago, Google Bot said:

As a kid I was always told it was much further north where the gas works towers were.  So if that is the spot, it turns out I've been telling my lad wrong all these years too!

Yes you are in the correct area. There are flats built there now. However, I would not know if you have the ground shown at the right angle or not.

I believe there was a sign in that area indicating that this was the sight of the old nest?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Amazing, I know which way I'd want to be kicking in the second half!