mastoola

Brilliant transfer window

We got rid of Idah!!!!!!!!!!!  Pure genius for the new director.

Edited by mastoola

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

What is a winwow?

fixed it  unkike you can fix idah

1 hour ago, mastoola said:

fixed it  unkike you can fix idah

When you wake up sober in the morning, you'll realise there's another day until the window shuts.

1 hour ago, mastoola said:

You must be one hell of a player if you can be so rude about our players.  I would like to see a few players coming in, I am really unsure that letting one of our best two strikers leave is a good idea.  The new striker will take time to learn the patterns of play and develop a decent understanding of our tactics.  Just seems a bit risky when we are only 2 points off the playoffs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Just seems a bit risky when we are only 2 points off the playoffs.

Obviously there's the unknown of SVH coming in and what he can do at this level, and within this setup.

But if you consider that Idah can be getting gametime, our new man will be getting game time, Sarge is getting back to 100% fitness, and Barnes could become the one fighting for his place, I think that's a more healthier position to be in.

I don't think it does anyone any good to have Idah playing 10-15 minute cameos at the end of games second fiddle to Barnes.

Obviously, the risk comes if SVH isn't up to standard and Sarge gets injured again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Newtopia said:

You must be one hell of a player if you can be so rude about our players.  I would like to see a few players coming in, I am really unsure that letting one of our best two strikers leave is a good idea.  The new striker will take time to learn the patterns of play and develop a decent understanding of our tactics.  Just seems a bit risky when we are only 2 points off the playoffs.

That's all correct, but perhaps you should have put IMO behind the highlighted.

If you're talking goals (strikes) then Rowe and Sargent (historically) hold that position, whilst Saintz looks promising.

As for Idah, many of us have given up on him and feel we could find better. Perhaps Van Huijdonk* is that find.

* From now on, it's the "Donk." 😁 I hope that doesn't become the "Donkey."

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's all correct, but perhaps you should have put IMO behind the highlighted.

If you're talking goals (strikes) then Rowe and Sargent (historically) hold that position, whilst Saintz looks promising.

As for Idah, many of us have given up on him and feel we could find better. Perhaps Van Huijdonk* is that find.

* From now on, it's the "Donk." 😁 I hope that doesn't become the "Donkey."

IMO - if he scores 15 goals at Celtic in the second half of the season he will be worth £20M, we sell him now and we will be lucky to get E3M, so why not take the risk.  Even Carlton Morris we only got pennies, he would now cost an awful lot more.  Something are only valuable once they mature.

Edited by Newtopia

8 hours ago, mastoola said:

Yeah great stuff we shift our 3rd top goal scorer and the most prolific impact sub in the league.

Yeah go us , great move....

Some "fans" Jesus 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Obviously there's the unknown of SVH coming in and what he can do at this level, and within this setup.

But if you consider that Idah can be getting gametime, our new man will be getting game time, Sarge is getting back to 100% fitness, and Barnes could become the one fighting for his place

I'm of the view, and I've seen a few others on here suggest this so I'm not claiming ownership of this idea, that Barnes position in the team should be occupied by Gabriel Sara and that the key to enabling this is to to sign another centre midfielder.

Varane perhaps. Sargeants number 9 position should be seen as one he is contesting with Van Hooijdonk if he arrives. Barnes should be a  10-20 mins at the end of the game player for the rest of his time at the club as that befits his age and stamina now. 

25 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I'm of the view, and I've seen a few others on here suggest this so I'm not claiming ownership of this idea, that Barnes position in the team should be occupied by Gabriel Sara and that the key to enabling this is to to sign another centre midfielder.

Varane perhaps. Sargeants number 9 position should be seen as one he is contesting with Van Hooijdonk if he arrives. Barnes should be a  10-20 mins at the end of the game player for the rest of his time at the club as that befits his age and stamina now. 

I agree with this but also concerned about the loss of Barnes heading ability either when attacking or defending set pieces. It's not just about winning the ball but having the strength to put off your opponent physically. We would lose that with Sara. 

Perhaps Hooijdonk is a Barnes replacement and two mobile forwards (including Sargent) is the idea with Barnes sent on later in the game. 

37 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I think most of us much prefer that kind of setup, I much prefer that deeper attacking midfielder who can pull the strings and either feed the striker ahead, distribute out wide or take a go themselves.  For years people have said play two up top as it's more attacking, but we've learnt that it actually isn't the case.

Plus I think the other element to Sara is that he gives the ball away at times which you don't want in a deeper midfield position.

You're right though, if we do bring a midfielder in also then it will totally change the way we play.  Unless Wagner is doing this through choice, not through lack of options.

Trouble is, we'd need cover for both the AM and CDM/CM roles to remain consistent. If Sara was to pick up an injury or suspension who do we drop into that position?  Do we revert to two up top, or do we get Sarge to drop deep and this new guy or Barnes lead the line?

22 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Trouble is, we'd need cover for both the AM and CDM/CM roles to remain consistent. If Sara was to pick up an injury or suspension who do we drop into that position?  Do we revert to two up top, or do we get Sarge to drop deep and this new guy or Barnes lead the line?

Agree on need for CDM/cover (although actually NEED a CDM).

I think Nunez/McLean/Fastnacht  could easily cover Sara as AM. Indeed, I think Rowe or Sainz could do the role but somewhat differently. 

Its one of the most frustrating things about this team and/or Wagners selection/tactics - I think we have a very decent number of attacking players but seem intent on not making the most of them.

Another window, yet still a big lack of CDM...

The good news is that it's loan only according to the Pinkun, no 'to buy option'.

Idah will be back next season as our main striker as I suspect Sarge will leave in the summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Yeah great stuff we shift our 3rd top goal scorer and the most prolific impact sub in the league.

Yeah go us , great move....

Some "fans" Jesus 

These same fans then criticise players for not performing, after showing them such fantastic "support". It's tiring enough for other fans let alone the players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

These same fans then criticise players for not performing, after showing them such fantastic "support". It's tiring enough for other fans let alone the players.

Noticeably these so called supporters only ever post to slag off Idah. Never a positive word anywhere about the club or players.

I wonder who they will pick on next?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The good news is that it's loan only according to the Pinkun, no 'to buy option'.

Idah will be back next season as our main striker as I suspect Sarge will leave in the summer.

This. Was wondering what happened if SVH earns himself a move and Idah returns. Then it struck me that perhaps SVH is not Idah's replacement but Sarge's. 

Something on one of the Pink Un podcasts recently stood out to me when Connor said that he was speaking to a football agent who described a real limited pool of good, young strikers. Sargent has shown over the past couple of seasons that not only does he work hard, but does know where the net it. It might be that a Premier League side looks at him and thinks for £20m he might be worth a punt.  

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

I think Nunez/McLean/Fastnacht  could easily cover Sara as AM. Indeed, I think Rowe or Sainz could do the role but somewhat differently. 

Its one of the most frustrating things about this team and/or Wagners selection/tactics - I think we have a very decent number of attacking players but seem intent on not making the most of them.

Sadly you're right, and as demonstrated by the players you've named who seem quite capable to fill the AM role, they're not being marked for those areas at all.  I'd love to see someone like Fassnacht tried in that area as you don't need to have blistering pace when paired with two more defensively minded midfielders behind and a forward and wide players who can press for the ball.

It's better to have someone who can read and distribute from that area and make things happen, only have to think back to Stiepermann.   We all talk about Emi and how much it affected Pukki but Stieper tailed off big time in the prem league was a big impact at all, he's almost become the forgotten man/position that we failed to replace.   

I think Duda was the only attempt we made?  I'm trying to think back to the Covid season in the championship under Farke and who tried to take that role on, but not being at the games it's all a bit hazy really.  I think it was Dowell/Vrancic and Rupp coming in there wasn't it?

I don't see Idah getting any additional game time at Celtic. I think he'll be back in May with very little progress made. SVH is a goalscorer and we need one of those; by which I mean a striker who takes up goalscoring positions. 

We create enough chances; we still don't score enough goals so we need another option up front who will convert. Idah has done well on creating a couple of winners and reactive tap ins, but his strength is not in the penalty area which is where we need some ruthlessness.

It seems like the mushroom season again for supporters - kept in the dark and fed on …..

I read this transfer window as treading water. I suspect the club, like most of the fans, see promotion via the play-offs as highly unlikely but theoretically possible, so they've just tried to upgrade Idah in the hope that this will tip the club into the top six. 

I think it shows we are going to persevere with Wagner for the rest of this season but, unless the unlikely promotion happens, he's toast in May, so there's no point getting in permanent players to fit his style. The major changes will come in the summer, in terms of the system we want to play and the manager and players we need in order to do that.

It's not exciting, but it's probably sensible.

• Like 2

Quite happy with the outgoings. Some relief for the wage bill and none of the cast-offs seem to have done too badly.

Glad to see the back of Idah, whilst only half convinced by his replacement, as there is a combination of expectation that he could well be a good fit along with concern about his credible goal-getting ability. He's young though.

I hope Idah does well in Scotland, a tough ask for him, but the club and player can only benefit if he succeeds there. The AI saga at NCFC was too protracted in the end, and he could well benefit from being away from Carrow Road and some of the toxicity towards him from some in the crowd. A change of scene might prove to be his last chance, though.

The reasons for the lack of input are probably multiple and could range from financial limitations to the complexities of the market. At least Knapper sees the need for a proper CDM at some point. As Canary fans, we have become acceptant of disappointment of late, so the negative vibes seem limited.

It, as some have suggested, might also indicate that Wagner's days are numbered and that any cash outlay is being reserved for a new man in the Summer. There could well be a mutual parting of the ways.

I like the man a lot, but dislike his management a lot, and a massive conundrum could arise if he gets us into the play-offs. The suggestion that it is individuals (esp. Rowe) rather than any managerial input that achieve this is valid and might well be realised all-round.

Biggest positive? Hanging onto Rowe as it could well lead to an exciting final third of the season. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Blimey that thought ruined my Friday. 😄

• Haha 1