Jim Smith

So two days remaining in the transfer window and……

Where are we with these “exciting” plans we heard about. Nowhere.

A few kids out on loan. Hwang gone. Maybe Idah. Zero sign of any improvement to the first team squad.

And still we keep our utterly inept coach. Worst of all worlds.

if they are going to keep him they should at least back him a bit. Ok I understand that if they are thinking of a change in the summer you don’t go full tilt but doing nothing would be ridiculous.it’s basically giving up on the season now and is not acceptable.

What on earth was the point of Knapper starting early other than, it seems, to take the heat off the owners and board. 

The exciting plans comment was interesting. To say with conviction like that suggests they were extremely confident of something, which clearly hasn’t ended up happening. More incompetence or just short sighted PR spin? Either way, not a good look again. 

Wonder if the exciting plans were contingent on the share allocation being ratified sooner by EFL

I won't give up 'til one minute past 12 (or is it eleven?) and shall be tuned in to Sky Sports most of the evening. History tells you that these last minute deals are common.

Come on Ben Knapper, show your worth, a decent loan at least.

That Hutchinson the Binners borrowed is the ideal type of player for us, or a decent CDM.

I'd like to unload a few more, no names no pack drill but in alphabetical order they are B, F, I and P., but not H just yet.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Hwang + Forshaw + Springett surely surely equates to two in. But still we wait. 

Edited by S_81

50 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

What on earth was the point of Knapper starting early other than, it seems, to take the heat off the owners and board. 

And it worked. The atmosphere was becoming toxic and results were dreadful. It coincided with an uplift in both mood and form.

As for the lack of transfer activity, the market in this country has been extremely quiet in general; one of the quietest January windows ever. Nobody is really doing anything. 

Besides, I didn't really expect any massive changes. I always thought we'll plough through with Wagner and this squad until the end of the season and that's when we'll see a major rebuild. I'm guessing Knapper is constructing plans and making enquiries already.

• Like 1

Must admit I'm slightly incredulous that being only 2 pts off the play-offs we haven't at least brought in a loan player.

I think we can do with another winger as Fassnacht and Onel are pretty useless, and of course another body in midfield, competition for Stacey, and probably a striker if the exit of Idah is sanctioned.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

And still we keep our utterly inept coach.

“Inept” doesn’t beat one team above us, draw with two and push a third reasonably close in the last few weeks. Farke’s last game I saw at Anfield, we lost by three goals, same for Wagner yesterday. Was Farke inept too? 

I don’t believe he’s right for us next season, some of his decisions are highly questionable, but calling him inept makes your argument look emotional, not rational.

• Like 3

I genuinely now feel sorry for Wagner even more so if there is no activity before the deadline. The board approach also now makes zero sense. They were happy to back Wagner when it all was going wrong. He has somehow wrestled as to a position where we are 2 pts from the playoffs with a favourable fixture list and a fully fit squad. Given they backed him earlier in the season why have they stopped backing him? It’s clear that some of the issues we had during the poor run where the squad lacked depth. But in the window Hwang, Forshaw, Springett and now Idah have gone or at going and no one has arrived. Why back Wagner if you are then going to make him manage with his hands tied behind his back. The guy needs backing again. Hull have got Calavlho, Watford have Dennis back, Boro have signed a few. And we are getting rid of players. 

Make a decision back Wagner keep Idah and pickup a few loan players and have a real go or sack the guy and start the rebuild now.

I actually think Wagner knows nothing will happen and is subtly calling the board out by his comments regards Placheta and two goalies on the bench again. Will he break ranks and call the board out properly to maybe galvanise the fans behind him until the end of the season. As unless he gets us promoted he is being sacked.

Edited by Ulfotto

i can still see Rowe leaving us ,

for a PL team who are up against FFP rules etc 20 million on Rowe is fairly cheap 

Edited by norfolkngood

First Jim, there are actually four days to the close (midnight 1 February). 

Second, the Varane rumours and now the bid for Idah demonstrate that, yes, there is in fact a lot happening under the surface. As I've commented on this thread before, all club's expectations of this window are being coloured by the recent FFP penalties issued, so prices are not going to be where they expected them. As a result, there is a logjam of pent up demand, I think there is still time for a mini-rush, but it won't filter down to Norwich in the Championships. Any movement now will have to be engineered by Knapper. 

Thirdly, so what have we to offer. After yesterday, only Borja Sainz did enough to warrant any excitement out there. Sara failed his test big time - let this be a wake up call to him. That leaves just Sarge and Rowe. Either their injuries / rest requirements came at the right time, or they are cover the fact they are on the way. I go with the former, Sarge has looked incredibly tired since his return whilst Rowe's broken hand is genuine from what I saw of the way he was carrying himself at Leeds. 

In conclusion, like the majority of clubs without a budget for dealing, there is likely to be little happening. However I still see scope for one loan in, one major loan out. I've forced myself to lower any expectation of anything happening this window.

The summer however will be much different.

Pretty sure I heard Rob Butler say that Knapper is going to do an interview with them, but only after the window has shut?

That made me think that we'd be doing some incoming business, but perhaps not.

42 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

6 million euro release clause, Norwich reportedly have offered just under 3 million. Classic Nodge.

Jeez. Not paying the inflated release clause price is “classic Nodge”? I can just imagine the reaction if we did pay it and he had a poor first game. 

“We overpaid for a crap player. Classic Nodge”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be disappointed if we done nothing, especially if we did lose Idah. We'd look really, really poor for numbers up top.

I also think, no matter how much people don't want to give him credit, Wagner has done well to turn things around to being 2 points from the play offs.

It would be completely unfair to then criticise him for the rest of the season if we took players way from him and gave him nothing back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It would be completely unfair to then criticise him for the rest of the season if we took players way from him and gave him nothing back.

I’d say he’s still open to criticism for aspects like tactics, formations and subs, but to argue that (if) we don’t get into the playoffs, he’s crap (or inept) would be unjustified.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd be disappointed if we done nothing, especially if we did lose Idah. We'd look really, really poor for numbers up top.

I also think, no matter how much people don't want to give him credit, Wagner has done well to turn things around to being 2 points from the play offs.

Don't agree about Idah ... waste of time. Get £1m more use to the club.

Agree with what you said about Wagner, I've melted (fickled) and think he should have 'till the rest season, but not one day longer even if we reach the play-offs. It's the players he inherited with their individual talents rather than anything he adds, apart from having a happy dressing room.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

Agree with what you said about Wagner, I've melted (fickled) and think he should have 'till the rest season, but not one day longer.

I’m not sure £1m sitting unused in the bank and having to play Gibbs up front is better than using Idah. We’ve invested in his development and should carry on longer given the potential we’ve seen flashes of. He needs a loan and then to be given a season back here. 

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

When you sell a player you have to buy their contract out so they're free.  So I can't see us selling Idah as being financially advantageous unless he's desperate to go he'll waiver what we owe him, or he's on silly low wages.

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

When you sell a player you have to buy their contract out so they're free.  So I can't see us selling Idah as being financially advantageous unless he's desperate to go he'll waiver what we owe him, or he's on silly low wages.

Forgot that. But it is surely dependent upon the fact that he could be offered better terms than he is getting at City. So it's the difference if it's not, or he is happy with a move for less remuneration. .

It depends on the deal, though.

26 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Pretty sure I heard Rob Butler say that Knapper is going to do an interview with them, but only after the window has shut?

That made me think that we'd be doing some incoming business, but perhaps not.

yes he said Knapper said he will give a full interview but only after Transfer Window ,

i remember once old Neil Doomcaster said

" we were on the phones all day but could not do a deal so will go with what we have " ( or words to that effect ) 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Must admit I'm slightly incredulous that being only 2 pts off the play-offs we haven't at least brought in a loan player.

I think we can do with another winger as Fassnacht and Onel are pretty useless, and of course another body in midfield, competition for Stacey, and probably a striker if the exit of Idah is sanctioned.

Fassnacht jury out 

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Jeez. Not paying the inflated release clause price is “classic Nodge”? I can just imagine the reaction if we did pay it and he had a poor first game. 

“We overpaid for a crap player. Classic Nodge”

Not paying the asking price, and losing out to another club,  is most definitely classic Nodge!

I was being facetious though. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

So it's the difference if it's not, or he is happy with a move for less remuneration. .

I did wonder at the time, regarding the 5 year deal, if we took advantage of where he was with his career and somewhat pinned him down on a very low wage with the promise that he'll be seen as the future here.  There could even be an appearances trigger in that contract in regards to his salary - who knows?!

It may be now that he's seriously looking at things, chatted with his agent come to the realisation that even with Sarge being injured he was still behind Barnes and some instances Hwang, and they've perhaps thought enough is enough?

I mean it's all conjecture, but I don't see us being the ones who's pushing him out as financially we won't make on him and he's most likely a really cheap asset in regards to weekly wages.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I’d say he’s still open to criticism for aspects like tactics, formations and subs, but to argue that (if) we don’t get into the playoffs, he’s crap (or inept) would be unjustified.

I would feel sorry for him if the club don’t back him. Much of my anger would be aimed at them.

but tactically he is inept and the quality level of the coaching these players are receiving us questionable. The fact we have some good players means we will get enough results at champ level to stay in contention. 

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Fassnacht jury out 

That jury commands expenses.

It is getting expensive, and he's had enough chances to convince them (us.)

Get rid, he typifies the averageness of the players we've signed when and since we bought Placheta. I include Long and Forshaw in that list, there are others. 

Saintz apart I find it difficult to get excited about any signings in recent years, although I did endorse the signings of Barnes and Duffy for pragmatic reasons, but that is now in doubt depending upon the costs involved.

Young Gibbs is the only one that the jury needs time on, imo.

Soz, Was Sara signed after Placheta?

I was warming to NUnez, but he was awful on Sunday against higher calibre players.

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The exciting plans comment was interesting. To say with conviction like that suggests they were extremely confident of something, which clearly hasn’t ended up happening. More incompetence or just short sighted PR spin? Either way, not a good look again. 

The ‘ exciting plans ‘ comment was for the bean counters in the Accounts Dept as we won’t be spending much, if anything.

For ‘ Joe Public ‘ less so.