Considering with our best players playing, with 2 of the best managers in our recent history, whilst we were in the prem with apparently a better team, at a time where Liverpool were weaker, we've conceded more and most by more against Liverpool, I'm not hugely bothered.

It wasn't a fantastic performance but it wasn't a dreadful one.

• Like 1

It wasn't a bad day, but it wasn't a great one either. We weren't humiliated against a strong Liverpool side, but we did shoot ourselves in the foot with similar accuracy to Sainz's screamer.

• Like 1

Just now, stratton canary said:

And 2 keeper's warming the bench, no others available from the U21's I take it? 

I would suggest those in charge of the youth teams would decide if any player was ready to step up. But what do they know when up against a keyboard coach ?

It’s definitely not a great day but nor was it as bad as many assumed (hoped?) it would be - plenty of PL sides go there and come back with much the same outcome.

Meanwhile, it is really quite ridiculous for anyone to suggest Liverpool weren’t at full strength without admitting that we weren’t either - there will probably be 5 changes for our next games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Not the humiliation that the whiners had predicted. Ironically it was that lot down the road who suffered the weekend's (seasons) humiliation. Ironic given that many of the whiners are binners hoping we are fooled by their non binner names.

I expect it was an enjoyable day out for the 4,000 or so who travelled up to Anfield. It will be an enjoyable day for the club's finance director when the payments for the day come in. But that enjoyment will be tempered by the knowledge that Liverpool had a turn over of £594m season 21/22. I wonder what our turnover be after the parachute payments end. Less that 10% of that, yet the whiners some how we should be able to match the tram they can put out,.

And despite us having both our best two strikers missing we still managed two goals, one being the goal of the match - in front of our fans. Another emerging 'star' - Sainz, perhaps. So it is on with the playoffs. Coventry upcoming, and we look more than capable of getting a win.  Good news for our supporters, and bad news for the whiners Safe journey back fellow canaries - hope it was fun.

Agree with some of your points. But football wise I would have liked to see more pressure from our midfield on theirs. We allowed them too much time to find a pass.

I think our mentality for many years in the cup, has been that we will get destroyed score wise to higher opposition. This has led to a lot of passive defensive performances. I would like us to believe in ourselves. To match a team like Liverpool, takes luck and endeavour. 

Sainz added some desire and bravado. A player who, when he has the ball I feel something special may develop. 

We are in the hunt for a playoff place. Our football isn't perfect, but how many teams can say that it is? 

Really looking forward to the run in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I would suggest those in charge of the youth teams would decide if any player was ready to step up. But what do they know when up against a keyboard coach ?

What do they do when Chelsea pinch them?

The problem you highlight is one of the oddest that plagues the team. Every time I listen to a commentary, that same observation is made.  I can only assume the thought is that we back off, don't mark and so encourage the opposition to have most of the team in our half/third then hit them with a long through ball.

Fine when it works but as with the nonsense of pi ssing about at the back it just invites unnecessary threats. Much as with the idiotic *nal marking at corners, now seemingly dropped. Empty spaces do not score.  Some pundit a while back summed up that nonsense when he likened it to a keeper, facing a penalty by positioning himself in one part of the goal on the basis that some player would hit the ball toward that spit.

The past few games have installed a thought that a play off place is a possibility, now.........however a possibility, that's all.

Money in the pot from today, we scored 2 and Sainz looked really lively, some really dreadful defending at times but hey, that’s not inclusive to this game, we are our worst enemy sometimes. All in al it’s next week and Coventry that the real focus.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Money in the pot from today, we scored 2 and Sainz looked really lively, some really dreadful defending at times but hey, that’s not inclusive to this game, we are our worst enemy sometimes. All in al it’s next week and Coventry that the real focus.

Fair summary I think

4 minutes ago, RobJames said:

The problem you highlight is one of the oddest that plagues the team. Every time I listen to a commentary, that same observation is made.  I can only assume the thought is that we back off, don't mark and so encourage the opposition to have most of the team in our half/third then hit them with a long through ball.

Fine when it works but as with the nonsense of pi ssing about at the back it just invites unnecessary threats. Much as with the idiotic *nal marking at corners, now seemingly dropped. Empty spaces do not score.  Some pundit a while back summed up that nonsense when he likened it to a keeper, facing a penalty by positioning himself in one part of the goal on the basis that some player would hit the ball toward that spit.

The past few games have installed a thought that a play off place is a possibility, now.........however a possibility, that's all.

Do you enjoy our style at the moment or feel it's needed to get the best from the current squad? Because, I'm a bit torn between each game. I think I can see what Wagner is thinking, but at other times I'm struggling with his decisions. Don't know if we are a couple of tweaks from a top Championship team, or we are floating with the other nearly clubs in this league? 

2 hours ago, RobJames said:

Not the humiliation that the whiners had predicted. Ironically it was that lot down the road who suffered the weekend's (seasons) humiliation. Ironic given that many of the whiners are binners hoping we are fooled by their non binner names.

I expect it was an enjoyable day out for the 4,000 or so who travelled up to Anfield. It will be an enjoyable day for the club's finance director when the payments for the day come in. But that enjoyment will be tempered by the knowledge that Liverpool had a turn over of £594m season 21/22. I wonder what our turnover be after the parachute payments end. Less that 10% of that, yet the whiners some how we should be able to match the tram they can put out,.

And despite us having both our best two strikers missing we still managed two goals, one being the goal of the match - in front of our fans. Another emerging 'star' - Sainz, perhaps. So it is on with the playoffs. Coventry upcoming, and we look more than capable of getting a win.  Good news for our supporters, and bad news for the whiners Safe journey back fellow canaries - hope it was fun.

Top trolling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stratton canary said:

And 2 keeper's warming the bench, no others available from the U21's I take it? 

Further proves my point cheers 

Norwich could and should have made it harder for Liverpool today!

The fannying about in front of their goal in the first half was painful and Liverpools first two goals were soft. For the opener the Liverpool guy who headed the ball in was blatantly unmarked for hat seemed an eternity and the second one came from the poor playign out from the back. 

In the second half when Norwich got the ball forward quicker and upped their tempo they were better and caused Liverpool more problems. - Had they played the first lke this then the score would of been closer.

15 hours ago, RobJames said:

When we have suffered what you simple binners have suffered then your whines on here might find common cause with City supporters.  Until then, save your time, you Ken Foggo and other halfwits are just embarrassing yourselves.

If you really think that the Kenny Foggo on here is not a Norwich supporter you’re very much mistaken.

I can also vouch that your description of him as a ‘ halfwit ‘ is quite amusing.

Maybe if you thought things through a bit before hammering away on here in a frenzy it wouldn’t be so embarrassing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If you really think that the Kenny Foggo on here is not a Norwich supporter you’re very much mistaken.

I can also vouch that your description of him as a ‘ halfwit ‘ is quite amusing.

Maybe if you thought things through a bit before hammering away on here in a frenzy it wouldn’t be so embarrassing.

I think Rob is Bill....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I think Rob is Bill....

I just made that observation on another thread. Very similar posting style, and the account was made just after Bill stopped posting. Surprised that he's managed to avoid detection for so long, to be honest!

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I just made that observation on another thread. Very similar posting style, and the account was made just after Bill stopped posting. Surprised that he's managed to avoid detection for so long, to be honest!

I also think he 'frequents' the WoTB....

5 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I also think he 'frequents' the WoTB....

They're welcome to him.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

They're welcome to him.

I wholly concur....I don't 'do' WoTB.....but I do 'on occasion' have a quick lurk.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Keith Scott said:

The low standards of the happy clappers 🤣🤣🤣

More than comfortably beaten by a mostly Liverpool second string . Barely got over the half way line for 90 mins, and the OP is full of pride 🤣🤣🤣

4 divisions between Newport and a full strength Man Utd, but they actually managed to be competitive for the majority of the game. I wonder what the disparity is between the turnover of those two clubs....

I would say the OP is a WUM.

But the happy clappers really are that deluded.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

I’ll be sure to mention to Alison, Van Dijk, Konate, Nunez, Gakpo, Gomez, TAA, Szoboszlai, Luis Diaz et al that they’re second string…

They had 4 kids in their lineup, all of which would comfortably be regular first team for us based on their performance yesterday.  I’m not a happy clapper, but I have no idea what game you were watching because it sure as hell was not the one in front of me.  Yes, we played most of the game in our own half, but we weren’t overwhelmed apart from a few notable Liverpool breaks where their one touch football was sublime, and we had no counter to that.  But that was always going to be the case.  There isn’t a team in the championship that can play that sort of football, and I expect that most would be struggling against it.

I’ll tell you something.  Apart from Huddersfield, that’s the best I’ve seen us play this year.  I’m proud.  And the Liverpool fans I spoke to after the game told me I had every reason to be.

• Like 2

I went there knowing it was only half an hour down the road for me, but knowing that I was going to watch our team lose.  We were never going to beat them, well maybe one time in 1,000, but practically never.  I reckoned we’d be 3/4-1 down at the end.  

Some of their goals were very soft - their first one in particular.  Our defending could have been better, but their placement and play and passing accuracy was obscene.  Their one touch football exposed us in the same way that they expose many premier league sides even.  We have a back 4 that are realistically a bit average in the Championship, and would be utterly lost in the Prem, so for us to keep it down to 4, with a 95th minute surprise (always the way for us against Liverpool), is an achievement.

For us to score twice, and have the ball in the back of the net a third time, when we’re without both Rowe and Sargeant was fab.  Sainz’s goal was exceptional, and Becker is their 1st team goalkeeper, not the reserve one we put out.

I was there in the Sutton glory days, I watched the Munich match (albeit on telly), so I’ve seen how great we can be.  But I’ve also seen the Colchester match.  I know how crap we can be.  I’ve also seen what being out of the Prem on a regular basis for 28 years has done to us in terms of the gap between us and regular premier league football.  Sure, we’ve had 6 seasons of Prem football in those 28 years, but the Hughton appointment cost us that particular dream.  The gap between us and Liverpool is HUGE, but we made it look a little bit smaller than it should yesterday, possibly quite a bit.

• Like 2

So much carp on this (& other) threads.

Where are Liverpool in the PL? Oh yes. Top. That's right 5 points clear in the hardest league in the world. The world. I wonder why that is? Maybe because they have many of the best players, & are coached by someone at the top of his profession? Their players are all dynamic, athletic, strong, motivated, skilful, ruthless? Perhaps that's got something to do with why they're doing so well

Now we just haven't got those sorts of players - one or two might have some (but not all) of those qualities, but we are, literally, not in the same league.

Given all that, what were we supposed to do? A series of dazzling long passes which would have split them apart & set up our devastating attack?? I suggest that would have soon degenerated into lumping it up the field only to watch it come hurtling back with interest. Do you really think such tactics would have served us any better?

What we tried was to play football. Get some possession going, try & pull them about a bit, rely on some flashes of individual skill & maybe nick a goal. Always involved a lot of risk & never realistically going to work, but looked better than the alternatives & was, I believe, ultimately more productive. The reason it was pretty hopeless was because they swarmed us, the energy & intensity of their press meant we had no time to react, let alone think what to do. Then once they got the ball back they were like a pack of whippets. Quick, quick, quick.

Their goals were, nevertheless, disappointing, the zero marking for the first goal, Kenny's rushing out to try & intercept a pass that didn't happen (he'd got others right so I forgive him), Van Dijk's free header, can't remember the other 2, but they created many chances that few teams would have been able to stop. They are simply very, very good.

Could we have done any better with the players available? Probably. A bit. Would it have made any difference?? Well ...

And Sainz did score the goal of the match!!!

And so to Coventry ...

• Like 3

Our 5:2 defeat to Liverpool will soon be forgotten. 

Maidstone's 2:1 away victory at 1p5wich will be remembered and regurgitated forever......

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

On 29/01/2024 at 11:55, ......and Smith must score. said:

🤣 Been called a lot worse than half wit.. I took that as a compliment.. otbc