cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Peacocks V Canaries*

Groundhog Day I know but I really do not want to see Barnes starting behind Sargent for this one. Bring Nunez in and push Sara forward. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Groundhog Day I know but I really do not want to see Barnes starting behind Sargent for this one. Bring Nunez in and push Sara forward. 

Hope its Sargent and Barnes side by side with Sainz and Rowe on the wings with Sara just below them

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hope its Sargent and Barnes side by side with Sainz and Rowe on the wings with Sara just below them

I don’t. Way too open. They will just run through the middle 

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Peacocks?

Without any peas

• Haha 3

Thanks to @Midlands Yellow for pointing out that the bookies are offering 6/1 on a Norwich win and 4/1 on the draw tonight. I wouldn't normally encourage people to gamble but those are silly odds. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Possibly, although the different system with Barnes might upset more than simply matching them for numbers. If we match them for numbers they have better players so you'd expect them to win. Maybe with the Barnes / Sargent combo both dropping deep for temporary overloads would unsettle them more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t. Way too open. They will just run through the middle 

They'll run through the middle whoever we play as they have a much stronger squad in that regard.

I think Nunez is a downgrade from Barnes, Sara and McLean in a match like this.  He's too lightweight versus either of those.

We'll most likely sit deep, and allow them certain space in the middle and look to strike them on the break.  Having Barnes and Sarge able to come deep, hold the ball up, and distribute wide to set us off on a move is going to be essential.

As much as I prefer the style of play where we can dominate midfield, I really wouldn't fancy us setting up for a midfield battle against Leeds as we'll just get runners in behind and embarrassing the defence.   

Let them play in front and provided we offer a real threat on the break it'll give them something to think about, it's been working to this point.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wesforprimeminister said:

not against leeds though, hes ****, my opinion, would rather someone who can move 

Adam Idah can move offside freely.

I suspect it will be 90 mins of pure football defending from us knowing Wagner.

Edited by jaberry2

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

They'll run through the middle whoever we play as they have a much stronger squad in that regard.

I think Nunez is a downgrade from Barnes, Sara and McLean in a match like this.  He's too lightweight versus either of those.

We'll most likely sit deep, and allow them certain space in the middle and look to strike them on the break.  Having Barnes and Sarge able to come deep, hold the ball up, and distribute wide to set us off on a move is going to be essential.

As much as I prefer the style of play where we can dominate midfield, I really wouldn't fancy us setting up for a midfield battle against Leeds as we'll just get runners in behind and embarrassing the defence.   

Let them play in front and provided we offer a real threat on the break it'll give them something to think about, it's been working to this point.

i think you are right not fantastic football and not what we want to see in future

but for us it has been winning football matches ! 

if that's the best way for now and the squad we have we have to play like that 

8 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Adam Idah can move offside freely.

I suspect it will be 90 mins of pure football defending from us knowing Wagner.

Away from home against a top six side so fair to say yes, knowing Wagner it's going to be sit back, defend attack on the counter..

But to be fair it did work against Brom

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Away from home against a top six side so fair to say yes, knowing Wagner it's going to be sit back, defend attack on the counter..

But to be fair it did work against Brom

Yes it may work. I suspect its going to be uncomfortable viewing if do intend to sit back too much. Points off Leeds are whats needed now, regardless of display but would be good to see us build on the last two games.

Leeds have an impressive home record:

Played 14

Won 10

Drawn 4

Lost 0

Goals for 31

Goals against 11

4 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Leeds have an impressive home record:

Played 14

Won 10

Drawn 4

Lost 0

Goals for 31

Goals against 11

ACN? 🤞

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

ACN? 🤞

Pretty much the only thing we have to go with...there are no optimistic stats (trust me, I've checked).

Kenny hatty? 😉 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Pretty much the only thing we have to go with...there are no optimistic stats (trust me, I've checked).

We're third in regards to xG vs Actual goals scored.

Going into a match like this i'd say that's an a optimistic stat.

image.thumb.png.448253fa16a9ec270086fef027919e85.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

He really is not. Playing Barnes would be suicidal in my view. But that’s what I expect Wagner to do as he doesn’t have a clue when it comes to sorting out the midfield. He got away with it v WBA due to their toothless display. I doubt we will at Leeds.

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He really is not. Playing Barnes would be suicidal in my view. But that’s what I expect Wagner to do as he doesn’t have a clue when it comes to sorting out the midfield. He got away with it v WBA due to their toothless display. I doubt we will at Leeds.

Well, Leeds are a lot better than us anyway, or at least should be with their playing squad. So I'm not sure there is a 'sorting out' of midfield. If anything our restricted possession counter-attacking style utilising Barnes dropping deep might be the only chance we have. I'm not saying that's the right decision but I can understand why in a match like this he might go that way. Well, that and it's seemingly the only way he wants to go regardless.

You might just as well look at a piece of seaweed stuck outside your door than use that nonsense. It reminds m of the lottery when the announcer would say guff like  'here's ball number 34, been a bit quiet of late, last out 11 weeks ago...." as if that has any impact on the probability.

We have been playing massively better than a couple of months ago. Not 'pretty' but effective, which gives thought to the belief that we could win tonight. However, Leeds are not 4th for nothing, so we will have to see who turns up -  v Hull or v Millwall.

While the result is important, we need every point at this stage, if we come away empty handed then let the comments be "we could have won that" not "we were lucky it was not more"

23 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He really is not. Playing Barnes would be suicidal in my view.

Because we do so well without him, of course:

image.thumb.png.651e1f1f3eb103bae26ce266515ee335.png

I'm not saying Barnes is a better player, but it's pretty obvious we aren't going to be trying to out 'football' a footballing team that carries a total sum of player worth of 400% than us, and have been better drilled due to having a better squad availability throughout the season thus far.

We will need an outlet in this game, and to make the ball stick when we break - that's just the facts.  Not a big fan of it, but we are where we are.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 2