dylanisabaddog

Female support at Carrow Road

I've been watching Sheffield United v West Ham. Well actually I've mainly been reading the paper but I have glanced at it a few times. 

The thing that stands out is that there seem to be hardly any women in the crowd, in fact I couldn't see any in the West Ham end. Is little, sleepy old Norwich actually ahead of the curve? Is this one of the reasons Carrow Road is generally friendly and West Ham and Sheffield United are far from it? 

As for the game, it was pretty dire and the officials needed VAR to tell them one of the worst tackles you'll see this season was a red card. Absolutely hopeless. 

• Like 1

Yes and great for the many females and the rest of us when they are truly into their football. Some at the Cup match though were definitely not football enthusiasts and were truly annoying.

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've been watching Sheffield United v West Ham. Well actually I've mainly been reading the paper but I have glanced at it a few times. 

The thing that stands out is that there seem to be hardly any women in the crowd, in fact I couldn't see any in the West Ham end. Is little, sleepy old Norwich actually ahead of the curve? Is this one of the reasons Carrow Road is generally friendly and West Ham and Sheffield United are far from it? 

As for the game, it was pretty dire and the officials needed VAR to tell them one of the worst tackles you'll see this season was a red card. Absolutely hopeless. 

Back in the day the girls weren't made very welcome. Even the sign above the concession turnstile said 'Boys'!

It's different now and better for it. My son and daughter both loved going and still do but only the grandsons have really got the bug so far.

15 hours ago, essex canary said:

Yes and great for the many females and the rest of us when they are truly into their football. Some at the Cup match though were definitely not football enthusiasts and were truly annoying.

Have to agree with your last sentence, up and down the stairs trying to find their row, not rocket science, A at the bottom etc. 

15 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

West Ham and Sheffield United are renowned sausage-fest clubs, 100%

Away days for most clubs seem to be sausage fests. Not Just NCFC but whenever I see footage/photos on social media, it's always old bald blokes or a bunch of young lads dressed in black with the same stupid haircut.

19 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I went to the match yesterday on a freebie. The majority of their female support sit in the ("posh") South Stand which is where the TV gantries are, so you don't see them as much. But I can assure you that a third of that stand is filled by women, probably because the toilet facilities are better than the other stands - the queues for those facilities still get in the way of the queues for the bar at half time! 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Have to agree with your last sentence, up and down the stairs trying to find their row, not rocket science, A at the bottom etc. 

God, that must been awful...

• Haha 1

Carrow Rd has a much higher proportion of females, families, pensioners, and obviously NFN's than other grounds. Which is a big reason why the atmosphere is so poor and timid.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

5 hours ago, Keith Scott said:

Carrow Rd has a much higher proportion of females, families, pensioners, and obviously NFN's than other grounds. Which is a big reason why the atmosphere is so poor and timid.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

I think you'll find that the female support near me is great. It's the divorcees a block over that are quiet and thats understandable.

7 hours ago, Canarywary said:

God, that must been awful...

Try sitting on the gangway, this went on till almost half time

It comes from the top, the British Queen of the Iceni, and our own co owner, long tradition of East Anglian hero’s. 

I can't be the only one who thinks "female" is really cringe. It's like saying the neighbors 'felines 'are sh**ing in my yard or I was attacked by a rouge 'canine'. You are aware that 'they' are just people and fans like us right? 'They' aren't a different bloody species. 

The poor atmosphere at the ground has nothing to do with a higher percentage of 'females' .You know, those others who should be at home cleaning instead of sitting in the stands. It's because the home form has been awful for the last 2 and a half years and that we know our team isn't good enough for the PL even if we did go up. But go ahead, find the easy target, it's all those bloody 'females' fault 😆

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I can't be the only one who thinks "female" is really cringe.

Indeed you are not. It does save time, though - if someone uses it as a noun you can safely stop reading at that point.

• Thanks 1

I can't be the only one who thinks "female" is really cringe. It's like saying the neighbors 'felines 'are sh**ing in my yard or I was attacked by a rouge 'canine'. You are aware that 'they' are just people and fans like us right? 'They' aren't a different bloody species. 

The poor atmosphere at the ground has nothing to do with a higher percentage of 'females' .You know, those others who should be at home cleaning instead of sitting in the stands. It's because the home form has been awful for the last 2 and a half years and that we know our team isn't good enough for the PL even if we did go up. But go ahead, find the easy target, it's all those bloody 'females' fault 😆

Dont see it as cringeworthy, slightly clumsy maybe. Maybe, in the interests of equality for the wokists, he could have put "Female/male support at Carrow Rd" but female is a perfectly fair word to use in a concise heading to convey the gist of what he is saying.

Am I the only one who thinks "cringe" is really cringe? FFS 

• Like 1

Love the girls in our small group joining us for match days. As long as they like pub crawls and know we’re not stopping for food (crisps, nuts and a burger are permitted)

12 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

The perpetually offended strike again! Stop trying to find offence where none was clearly intended