Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

McCallum or Giannoulis?

Both out of contract in the summer.

Lets pretend they are on the same wage (clearly won't be, but for the purposes of this exercise). Man with calculator says we can afford to keep one.

Which one is getting the new contract?

Dimi for experience or McCallum for youthful potential to improve? 

On that basis McCallum but needs good coaching to improve his defensive work. 

McCallum but then we also need a replacement for Giannoulis who will create genuine competition.

Giannoulis is regressing at a huge rate of knots, becoming at a bit whiney, and was rightly hooked at h/t. After that dodgy 1st half against the Binners, Sam has really come on pretty well. Good attitude, I like that.

I'd take McCallum although Giannoulis has been the better player this season - McCallum's weakness is his positioning, but that should come with experience.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

After that dodgy 1st half against the Binners, Sam has really come on pretty well. Good attitude, I like that.

Exactly. He came out 2nd half clearly told to defend his channel. 

Mccallum. Then try snap up a new LB for competition, there must be someone out there lower down capable of doing a job. 

Or knapper can sweet talk old work mates and get us norton-cuffy if he can play left back 

Mccallum is league 1 player at best he have some attributes but over all no football brain very bad positioning and decision making and really on some part of games for me look like amat player not like pro.

Giannoullis is better but still have white spots in many games and for me him come here with prospect to play PL as for Greek player Im sure him prefer to play less games on Europe than all this hell of games in Championship and no way to agree new contract even if club offer him.

so both for me is 90% off this summer....

Haven’t we done this thread? McCallum for me! Lower wages bags more potential, better attitude and in attack! 

I’d say neither, but out of the two McCallum.

He would be cheaper (don’t see a reason to ignore that), there’s still a chance he can improve with regular experience and he has sell on potential.

Giannoulis doesn’t tick any of those boxes, has been consistently inconsistent and has never really lived up to expectations. Importantly I also personally don’t think he’s much better than McCallum, just has different flaws.

Dimi just frustrates the life out of me. Very little end product despite being cultured on the ball. He’s also unbelievable meek and not the bravest. Pulls out of tackles all over the place. For the price we paid and the wages he is on I feel he has been a bit of a disappointment. 

I feel McCallum should have developed better than he has in his time at Norwich, he still plays like a promising kid rather than someone who has been around for a while now. I guess a good coach would have helped him develop more.
Very good in the air and think there is more to come from him going forward. I’m not sure he enjoys the defensive side of things much though, always jogs back with no real urgency or positional sense when we are out of possession. 

Taking finances into consideration I’d keep Sam and let Dimi go. 

Giannoulis is comfortably the better player.

But I think both will leave in the summer.

McCallum gets taken out of the game far too easily. He often frustratingly jogs back after getting beat as well. 
i think both ought to be replaced tbh. 

Edited by astro

Sam. Was looking rubbish earlier this season, but has been starting to improve. Home grown, still on low wages whilst Dimi is foreign, believed to be one of our highest earners at the club, and also looks a bit more injury prone than Sam (although I think that's probably just because he's played more games)

Although I think Dimi is the better player, I think we need to concentrate on developing this squad before we think about promotion as if we went back up this season we would have to spend a fortune to survive, because most of our squad are either inexperienced or approaching the end of their careers