https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67942943

Lots of bad news recently and it continues with the boy Sven having probably less then 12 months remaining due to terminal cancer. Like many posters I will always remember that stunning 5-1 win over Germany in The Deutschland. He was always incredibly polite and professional with the media and it was unfortunate in some ways that his 'off field activities' led to a hasty exit from his role. Our thoughts should be with him and his family.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67942943

Lots of bad news recently and it continues with the boy Sven having probably less then 12 months remaining due to terminal cancer. Like many posters I will always remember that stunning 5-1 win over Germany in The Deutschland. He was always incredibly polite and professional with the media and it was unfortunate in some ways that his 'off field activities' led to a hasty exit from his role. Our thoughts should be with him and his family.  

September 1, 2001; didn't even need to Google it. One of those days that's etched in your memory forever. I watched it at the now-demolished Earl of Leicester on Dereham Road, where my then-girlfriend was working at the time.

England's very first non-English manager; a thorough, intellectual and charismatic coach, a world apart from the gung-ho recklessness of Kevin Keegan. He laid the foundations for what constitutes the England team today; the moment where we finally moved away from our parochial, island-nation mentality and embraced the global game.

I guess it was always coming, given the influx of foreign players in our domestic game through the 1990s, but Sven was a great poster boy for the 'new England'. Thoughts are with him and his family, and I hope his last days are peaceful rather than painful.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

September 1, 2001; didn't even need to Google it. One of those days that's etched in your memory forever. I watched it at the now-demolished Earl of Leicester on Dereham Road, where my then-girlfriend was working at the time

I grew up round the corner from that pub, beautiful building and a travesty that it was demolished. Especially when the developers didn't even have immediate plans for the site and just wanted to sit on the land, almost 20 years have passed in which somebody could have tried to have brought it back as a pub.

bw157.jpg.cbdf63f09db487c9fa2fa8c3c66d7070.jpg

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

September 1, 2001; didn't even need to Google it. One of those days that's etched in your memory forever. I watched it at the now-demolished Earl of Leicester on Dereham Road, where my then-girlfriend was working at the time.

England's very first non-English manager; a thorough, intellectual and charismatic coach, a world apart from the gung-ho recklessness of Kevin Keegan. He laid the foundations for what constitutes the England team today; the moment where we finally moved away from our parochial, island-nation mentality and embraced the global game.

I guess it was always coming, given the influx of foreign players in our domestic game through the 1990s, but Sven was a great poster boy for the 'new England'. Thoughts are with him and his family, and I hope his last days are peaceful rather than painful.

Very nice tribute, @Feedthewolf. I guess there'll always be the sense he could have achieved a little more with that group of players, but he always seemed a very likeable guy to me, and I'm not sure that group of egos was that easy to manage. Can't do better than your last sentence, so I'm going to quote it again.

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thoughts are with him and his family, and I hope his last days are peaceful rather than painful.

6 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I grew up round the corner from that pub, beautiful building and a travesty that it was demolished. Especially when the developers didn't even have immediate plans for the site and just wanted to sit on the land, almost 20 years have passed in which somebody could have tried to have brought it back as a pub.

bw157.jpg.cbdf63f09db487c9fa2fa8c3c66d7070.jpg

Thanks for sharing that photo; brings back a lot of fond memories!

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks for sharing that photo; brings back a lot of fond memories!

Me too, lived on the corner of Grant St/Dereham Road, it was my Dad’s local.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I was in Brannigans that day, never seen so much beer dripping from a ceiling.

Just terrible news. 

8 minutes ago, not a clue said:

Me too, lived on the corner of Grant St/Dereham Road, it was my Dad’s local.

The sad thing is that with no City Gates and no Provision Stores to contend with now, plus that one which is now a Mosque, it might have had a fighting chance as a pub.

There is now no pub on that road between the Gatehouse and the Reindeer.

Obviously got the original Fat Cat and the Nelson not far away down side streets, and the Nursery tavern the other way, so not a complete desert.

• Like 1

As they say in Germany, die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt. (Hope dies last).

Wolfie's put it nicely. Here's hoping his remaining days are not too painful and he still has a semblance of quality of life and dignity. Cancer is no respecter of reputation.

I always loved Sven as a manager. Seemed like a real bloke but always very professional and warm. England played some of their best football in years under him.

It's awful he's going through this, I hope he and others can feel safe knowing he made some massive achievements in his life and will be remembered fondly in the football community alone.

Along St Benedicts and out of the City on the Dereham Rd there were a lot of pubs.

The Ten Bells, The Plough, The Barn, The Reindeer, The Provision Stores, The Dial House, The Earl of Leicester, The Tollhouse, The Larkman, The Oval, The Round Well. Have I missed any?

36 minutes ago, Kathy said:

Along St Benedicts and out of the City on the Dereham Rd there were a lot of pubs.

The Ten Bells, The Plough, The Barn, The Reindeer, The Provision Stores, The Dial House, The Earl of Leicester, The Tollhouse, The Larkman, The Oval, The Round Well. Have I missed any?

The Queen Charlotte! They used to put on a lot of live music, saw some great gigs there back in the day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kathy said:

The Victory. Artful Dodger/dodgers/Queen Charlotte/LordNelson(?) 

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

The Victory. Artful Dodger/dodgers/Queen Charlotte/LordNelson(?) 

What did the Artful Dodger used to be called? I'm sure that that's a new* name.

* In my world...

This thread is a classic case of going off on a tangent. No disrespect to Sven intended. This is very sad news.

Can't say I have any great affection for the Sven-Goran Eriksson era. But the 5-1 was fun (even Heskey scored).

Cancer is awful.

2 hours ago, Kathy said:

Yes, the Victory which stood on the corner of Dereham Road and Orchard Street and is now a Turkish restaurant.

I said to an old fella in a pub recently that its a shame to see our heritage and culture evaporate and a whole way off life lost, to which he simply replied "there are now lots of other things for people to spend their money on", and I suppose he is right really, lots fewer pubs but lots more coffee shops.

rb097.jpg.8a4a32ff451965d5ac8c20cd2b08658b.jpg

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

Loved The Earl of Leicester.

Sad news re. Sven. He seemed a nice guy who had a good career overall, but let's not re-write history - he was a pretty bad England manager.

3 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

There is now no pub on that road between the Gatehouse and the Reindeer.

Even the Gatehouse has now been shut for several months following the death of the landlord.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Loved The Earl of Leicester.

Sad news re. Sven. He seemed a nice guy who had a good career overall, but let's not re-write history - he was a pretty bad England manager.

Somewhat agree. I find it remarkable that many castigate Southgate on here when he's got a decent crop of midfielders, Harry Kane, and pretty much ****-all else. Eriksson had a pretty mighty set of players there, most of who in their peak would get into this current England team, but he kept falling for the fallacy that just putting the best players together made the best team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Somewhat agree. I find it remarkable that many castigate Southgate on here when he's got a decent crop of midfielders, Harry Kane, and pretty much ****-all else. Eriksson had a pretty mighty set of players there, most of who in their peak would get into this current England team, but he kept falling for the fallacy that just putting the best players together made the best team.

Its all relative though, sides like Holland, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Spain were all much stronger back then. 

Apparently Brazil are the 3rd best team in the world right now. In 2006, Sven's last tournament, when they were knocked out in the QF, they had Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo in their squad.

I think International football is in a bit of a lull, with quite a few traditionally strong sides struggling to get themselves together or who are in transition with either ageing squads or very young squads and that England have benefitted from that. Argentina and France currently the strongest two nations.

4 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Its all relative though, sides like Holland, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Spain were all much stronger back then. 

Apparently Brazil are the 3rd best team in the world right now. In 2006, Sven's last tournament, when they were knocked out in the QF, they had Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo in their squad.

I think International football is in a bit of a lull, with quite a few traditionally strong sides struggling to get themselves together or who are in transition with either ageing squads or very young squads and that England have benefitted from that. Argentina and France currently the strongest two nations.

A fair point that it's relative, but I'd also say Sven's England side was a lot more balanced in terms of quality through the team than this current set. There was world-class (or fringe world-class talent in most positions). This current line-up's got a fair bit at right-back, one decent centre-half, no-one remotely top tier in goal and probably also left-back, and could also be a defensive midfielder short but Rice might come through. Some serious midfield/attacking midfield talent with Bellingham, Saka, Foden around and with Grealish and Maddison behind though.

Compare that to Eriksson's midfield riches with the age-old Gerrard/Lampard issue but also proven class with Ferdinand, Campbell and Terry at centre-half, Neville on the right and Ashley Cole on the left and with an emerging Rooney and a well-established Owen up top. Eriksson had a heck of a problem getting the egos under control, but there was some balanced quality right through that squad.

A calm, dignified and professional presence in the game who was rightly baffled by the tabloid media wanting to know every last detail of his private life. An essentially quiet man who held himself above the swirling cesspit that is the English press.

• Like 1

Just now, Big Vince said:

"the tabloid media wanting to know every last detail of his private life."

Erh, right, now I know you are a big wind up. Ulrika-ka-ka-ka Jonson anyone?

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Erh, right, now I know you are a big wind up. Ulrika-ka-ka-ka Jonson anyone?

Gotcha, scream the tabloids! You have fallen right into their trap. It's what keeps them in business.

• Thanks 1