Sign in to follow this  
mastoola

another worst of all time to add to the list

Posted (edited)

Is Wagner the worst manager we have ever had?   i will add to my list of Idah and Hernandez as the worst threads

Edited by mastoola
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Pound for pound, he's no worse than his predecessor.

But his predecessor had much more timber 

46 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Is Wagner the worst manager we have ever had?   i will add to my list of Idah and Hernandez as the worst threads

I don’t rate him and won’t be sad when he’s replaced, but I think he’s just bang average mid table rather than being totally abject. Is he really that much worse than Roeder, Gunn, Megson, Grant, Rioch, Hamilton, Smith?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mastoola said:

No, and your views are formed on recency bias. 

Bryan Gunn, Glenn Roeder and Brian Hamilton were worse. Peter Grant is also possibly worse but he has characteristics which might save him. 

As for Idah and Hernandez they don't even make the bottom 8 for their respective positions.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

On 06/01/2024 at 23:47, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He is when you compare points per game in the second tier.

On 07/01/2024 at 07:41, Terminally Yellow said:

Bryan Gunn, Glenn Roeder and Brian Hamilton were worse. Peter Grant is also possibly worse but he has characteristics which might save him. 

Take away Wagner's first 10 games (honeymoon period) and his win record since, in the past 36 games, is on part with the Hamilton's, Gunn's and Roeders of this world.

23 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Take away Wagner's first 10 games (honeymoon period) and his win record since, in the past 36 games, is on part with the Hamilton's, Gunn's and Roeders of this world.

I know, why not take all his wins out - he then looks even worse!!

As would anyone.

If you were around for Hamilton and Grant it really is no contest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 07/01/2024 at 00:33, Fen Canary said:

I don’t rate him and won’t be sad when he’s replaced, but I think he’s just bang average mid table rather than being totally abject. Is he really that much worse than Roeder, Gunn, Megson, Grant, Rioch, Hamilton, Smith?

Now there's a bunch of.... & yes i've seen all there teams play. 

Add Wagner to them please! 

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

He is when you compare points per game in the second tier.

But Smith had a team that had just been relegated from the Premier League and were preseason title favourites.

Wagner inherited a worse team and the realistic target was to reach the playoffs. 

I'd argue that, pound for pound, Wagner has not performed worse than Smith.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

As would anyone.

Neither of those had a squad with a wage bill commiserate with a club receiving parachute payments. 

Gunn wins the incompetency contest for being a former top flight goalkeeper and then sanctioning the Thoeklitos signing. 

Brian Hamilton resigned with us in 17th, we are 3 points above 17th right now and the teams in 15th and 16th are in better form than us. I'm not arguing against Hamilton-era being disastrous, I'm saying that some are understating our current predicament and how rubbish things are right now. If things are any better then it is very marginal.

If Josh Sargent was out for the season we'd be just as bad.

26 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But Smith had a team that had just been relegated from the Premier League and were preseason title favourites.

Wagner inherited a worse team and the realistic target was to reach the playoffs. 

This is a bit like having an argument about whether it would be better to be punched in the face by Anthony Joshua or Deontey Wilder.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Allan Russell

I'd completely forgotten about that bizarre little interlude.  Our version of Tactics Tim Sherwood.

7 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And add on that Smith did a lot to widen the gap that emerged between club and fans with his antagonistic comments. He had no more respect for the fans than Webber did, and it seems our current owners now feel the same way.

Edited by canarybubbles

I really thought, having seen the faces of the three amigos at Saturdays game that Wagner would have been gone by now. Maybe they are being told by Delia and Michael to toe the line. I can't really see any  explanation as to why the club would purposely put themselves in a position where they would allow  fans just to walk away which is what's happening now. Fans pay to be entertained and that ain't happening. Wagners style of football is awful because there isn't any style. I really struggle to work out what system we are trying to play. Things can only get better but they may get worse before that happens starting on Friday

On 06/01/2024 at 23:43, mastoola said:

No dean Smith still had the golden tea cup 

• Haha 1

On 07/01/2024 at 00:47, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I love how people desperately beat this drum to deflect on how badly they f*ked up in believing anybody could do better than Smith. 😆

Pound for pound, Wagner's tenure has been a bigger failure, sending us far lower without even the consolation of having a reputation elsewhere that can land us decent loan signings.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

And add on that Smith did a lot to widen the gap that emerged between club and fans with his antagonistic comments. He had no more respect for the fans than Webber did, and it seems our current owners now feel the same way.

Rubbish. Fans were w**kers towards Smith well before he started showing any signs of it getting to him. The sort of sad people who think a manager clapping them is the most important thing just wouldn't give him a chance. 

But you got your way and now we have a properly cr*p manager. Well done. Give yourself a round of applause.

Anyone who really thinks Smith was worse than Wagner should be just shutting the f*k up about everything right now in my view to save themselves from embarrassing themselves further.

You're a self-opinionated idiot who can't bear that you were wrong. If it's any consolation, you're clearly not the only one. Maybe that's why your morale is so low.

• Sad 1

On 07/01/2024 at 00:43, mastoola said:

To answer the question though, no I don't think he's the worst manager we've ever had; the players are clearly behind him, which hasn't been true of every manager we've had, and I'd argue real failure is when you've lost the confidence of your players.

Dear me, someone's starting early today! :classic_biggrin:

Stay classy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

As would anyone.

A bit like when you give a urine sample (or pee on a wound to sterilise it) always take a mid-stream sample.

If you go with the first bit of flow you get all the stale substances from under your foreskin (Smith's detritus).

If you go with the last bit you get all the detritus the bottom of your bladder (the current omnishambles with no-one who has a clue in the boardroom).

So yes, ignore the first and last 10 games when assessing any manager's abilities.

• Like 1

Just now, Cowboy said:

A bit like when you give a urine sample (or pee on a wound to sterilise it) always take a mid-stream sample.

If you go with the first bit of flow you get all the stale substances from under your foreskin (Smith's detritus).

If you go with the last bit you get all the detritus the bottom of your bladder (the current omnishambles with no-one who has a clue in the boardroom).

So yes, ignore the first and last 10 games when assessing any manager's abilities.

This is a beautiful analogy. Have you considered taking up motivational speaking?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is a beautiful analogy. Have you considered taking up motivational speaking?

I do exactly that at the headquarters of a large, multi-national porcelain plumbing fixtures manufacturer.

Edited by Cowboy
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Dear me, someone's starting early today! :classic_biggrin:

Stay classy.

Oh come on. Do you think Dean Smith is the worst manager we've had? People who believe that are clearly morons. And if they're saying it and don't believe it, they're even more stupid. '

Actually the sorts of idiots who keep on saying Smith is worse have probably helped Wagner keep his job. Now there's an own goal for you.

44 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

If I were to start a band in the next few months, I would strongly consider calling it Smith’s Detritus. 👍

26 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

All the stale substances? The mind boggles 

Y'know... Cheese and pickle.