dylanisabaddog

Old photos and memories of Norwich

Mainly football related but I'm interested in anything to do with the history of Norwich so feel free to post whatever you want. 

Here's a clip about The Nest I found on YouTube 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Rodeo at Carrow Road 

1940's

Screenshot_20240109_183121_Facebook.thumb.jpg.65d2f18b61d1d5d98201d0c17205dd97.jpg

Be an interesting half time watch 😀 better than the win a hot dog challenge.

12 hours ago, yellow 63 said:

Be an interesting half time watch 😀 better than the win a hot dog challenge.

Make it a burger challenge. Stay on the bull and you get to keep it. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Rodeo at Carrow Road 

1940's

Screenshot_20240109_183121_Facebook.thumb.jpg.65d2f18b61d1d5d98201d0c17205dd97.jpg

They look like American Airmen on you can't beat a bit o' bully....

Let's hope them Yanks can again take the bull by the horns within the next two years and are able to steer us towards success.... 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The 1952/53 team.. Don't think there's many still alive who saw these guys play

s-l960.webp

I saw all of them play except for Tommy Johnstone who had just moved on to Orient when I first went. 

Johnny Gavin was my first Norwich City hero. Still the Clubs all time leading scorer.

If you look to the right you can see the fans in the Enclosure, which was a standing area in front of the main stand.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

s-l960.webp

Not seen this picture before. Looks a good bunch to go out on the town with.

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Not seen this picture before. Looks a good bunch to go out on the town with.

Probably on about six or seven quid a week at the time and less than that during the close season.

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Probably on about six or seven quid a week at the time and less than that during the close season.

I think you’ll find they were on £14 during the season and less for the close season 

Remember Tommy Johnstone centre forward looked more suited to Boxing  than football with his broken nose.

Used to go to Carrow Road and Trowse and sweep out the dressing rooms. Met all the players different to today’s crowd and were grateful to us lads 

Most either got to the ground on the bus or bikes

Those were the days

• Like 4

That’s about right. 
I was close to a former player of that era, who was on the top money at that time and a contract was only ever for 1 year.

He was proud of the fact that he was the only one who owned a car at the club!

Like so many ex pros he also suffered from Alzheimer’s and other serious injuries which were never properly cared for.

posted this before, relevant to the recent FA cup match, and he mentions losing in the 3rd round to Leicester and how disappointing it

was 1980s Shoot Annual.

image.png.f7e824378f3d1d30fab62e65f0807b6a.png

17 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

posted this before, relevant to the recent FA cup match, and he mentions losing in the 3rd round to Leicester and how disappointing it

was 1980s Shoot Annual.

image.png.f7e824378f3d1d30fab62e65f0807b6a.png

The infamous Keith Weller in white tights match! Absolutely skinned everyone of our players he took on that day - and on a frozen pitch!

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

I saw all of them play except for Tommy Johnstone who had just moved on to Orient when I first went. 

Johnny Gavin was my first Norwich City hero. Still the Clubs all time leading scorer.

If you look to the right you can see the fans in the Enclosure, which was a standing area in front of the main stand.

Yes, I saw them all play.  Tommy Johnston scored in away win at Arsenal in Cup around 1956 in the snow.  My first ever away game.  Ken Oxford was the hero and Bobby Brennan sent off.

Johnston is a legend at Orient and I believe a stand named after him.  Lots of photos of him in their social club.  I remember seeing him on Foundry Bridge cycling to Carrow Road in a gabardine mac - fashionable then!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

My late Dad used to wax lyrical about what a wonderful player Johnny Gavin was. He also said that he was a character, you would regularly see Gavin get off the the train at Norwich (I assume he continued to live in Norwich after he moved to Spurs) half cut before he wandered up Rose Lane to Valori's for fish and chips.......

20 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

My late Dad used to wax lyrical about what a wonderful player Johnny Gavin was. He also said that he was a character, you would regularly see Gavin get off the the train at Norwich (I assume he continued to live in Norwich after he moved to Spurs) half cut before he wandered up Rose Lane to Valori's for fish and chips.......

Gavin was a really good player, strong and stocky but quick enough to be a winger. A great servant of the club.

Before I went off to the match I used to get my fish n chips at Valori's in Rose Lane on Saturday lunchtimes because my grandparents lived just round the corner in King St.

Cod and chips for a shilling (5p)

Happy days

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Gavin was a really good player, strong and stocky but quick enough to be a winger. A great servant of the club.

Before I went off to the match I used to get my fish n chips at Valori's in Rose Lane on Saturday lunchtimes because my grandparents lived just round the corner in King St.

Cod and chips for a shilling (5p)

Happy days

I was born in King St, but the Carrow Bridge end, opposite Reads Flour Mill.........

1 hour ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Yes, I saw them all play.  Tommy Johnston scored in away win at Arsenal in Cup around 1956 in the snow.  My first ever away game.  Ken Oxford was the hero and Bobby Brennan sent off.

it was January 1954 Myra.

1 hour ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Johnston is a legend at Orient and I believe a stand named after him.  Lots of photos of him in their social club.  I remember seeing him on Foundry Bridge cycling to Carrow Road in a gabardine mac - fashionable then!

Sure I saw you in a gabardine coat on a Friday ar the.Forum !!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I was born in King St, but the Carrow Bridge end, opposite Reads Flour Mill.........

My grand parents lived at the other end between Mann Egertons and Rose Lane.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

s-l960.webp

Saw them play on several occasions. Spot on with line up - but took a minute or two to recognise Bobby Brennan despite being a couple of yards from him when he pulled one back from the byline for Bly to score against Man Utd in the snow in the Cup.

• Like 1

What a good post, really takes you back, I think I enjoyed football more before (although not so long ago, started watching in 66. My grandparents lived next door to the other Valoris fish and chip shop on Nelson St

It's strange looking back, it feels like the leagues were fairer - or is it just a case of rose tinted retrospective glasses ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

It's strange looking back, it feels like the leagues were fairer - or is it just a case of rose tinted retrospective glasses ?

No, I don't think it is rose-tinted. The leagues and cups were fairer. It was still harder for the smaller clubs obviously but there was still a chance and a bit of hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ricardo said:

I'm sure you've said this before on here, but when was your first game? And is there anyone on here who's a more long-standing supporter than you?