Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

4 years ago today we all knew VAR should be scrapped

Frankly its all part of the narrative.
I am pretty much 100% convinced at this stage that the schedule and some VAR calls are fixed. 
Or at least they are given to the team at the time to improve the narrative of the league or game at any given time. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 2

Close decisions will always be disputed. VAR  just makes the arguable uncertainty gap smaller. In the end most things are subjective.

Such is life so live with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Frankly its all part of the narrative.
I am pretty much 100% convinced at this stage that the schedule and some VAR calls are fixed. 
Or at least they are given to the team at the time to improve the narrative of the league or game at any given time. 

Oh totally agree that the narrative is managed, how deep that goes I'm not sure, but the Leicester title was the final nail on the coffin for me...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

Oh totally agree that the narrative is managed, how deep that goes I'm not sure, but the Leicester title was the final nail on the coffin for me...

Glad I'm not the only one who still thinks something very odd was going on that season

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Glad I'm not the only one who still thinks something very odd was going on that season

Don't know what you're on about Spurs bottling their one and only chance at winning the title was pretty funny and standard Spurs

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sill not over it.

Nope, me neither. One of the best goals you'll ever see scored, a fantastic pass and a perfectly timed angled run from an onside position, cancelled out on a false technicality.  

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Nope, me neither. One of the best goals you'll ever see scored, a fantastic pass and a perfectly timed angled run from an onside position, cancelled out on a false technicality.  

It's like the Jerome bicycle kick, rule it out it's Norwich we need them to go down 

• Like 3

For accuracy I doubt VAR is any worse than what we had before. It's exciting for the TV I guess but for supporters in the stadium it's horrendous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

For accuracy I doubt VAR is any worse than what we had before. It's exciting for the TV I guess but for supporters in the stadium it's horrendous.

There was quite a thrill though when you knew you stole one or the rage when your opposition did and you had to debate it down the pub or in the evening.

Now var spoils all of that 

• Like 1

VAR was basically a way to protect rubbish refs and keep them in a job.

They forgot they would be the same people operating VAR so now they look even more inept all whilst ruining the live experience for fans that actually go to games.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You shouldn't penalize players for the way they run, the lines should be drawn from the tip of their boot, if their heads or shoulder are offside so what? Are we expecting players to run like they're about to limbo just to beat the VAR offside rules? Pukki was in an onside position he just lent forward so he could run quicker. 

Also who decides at what milisecond the ball left Vrancic's foot? Or is it the moment it makes contact with the ball? With a goal like that the margins are so small that it makes a difference. It's also quite clear from those pictures that the lines are on top of each other so he was level and being level isn't offside but even if you want to argue millimeters then how did they determine at exactly what point to drawn the vertical line on Pukki's chest? Why is the line exactly that wide and what difference does that make?  So it's not like you can say well it's harsh but it was the right decision because there is still margin for error.

It's not just us who gets the ridiculous decisions against us and it isn't just the big clubs who benefit. But we've definitely had it at least as bad as anyone else has with VAR and other dodgy decisions. It makes sense though, if it's a 50/50 decision that nobody can agree on if you give the higher profile club the benefit of the doubt then there's less scrutiny on the decision. If I was a ref and not a Norwich fan I'd probably do the same if I was unsure on a decision. Nobody cares or notices if it's us, nobody wants us in that league anyway because we don't make headlines and are a pain to travel to but if you give a decision like that against the more fashionable clubs you're going to be in all the headlines and the decision can't be as easily swept under the rug. 

The only thing VAR improves is the quality and accuracy of information used to make judgements. It can't fix poor rules, poor interpretation of the rules, or corrupt decision-making.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

50 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

You shouldn't penalize players for the way they run, the lines should be drawn from the tip of their boot

Isn't that penalising people with bigger feet / boots? 

Wiggy Clattenburg says the ball is still in play 

Lino didn’t flag and he has the best view…. Wtf!! From 35 yards - idiots the lot of them

anyways - COYH

IMG_4119.jpeg

But it can’t be used for a ‘clear and obvious mistake’ when a corner or throw-in is wrongly awarded 

🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy2600 said:

But it can’t be used for a ‘clear and obvious mistake’ when a corner or throw-in is wrongly awarded 

🤷🏼‍♂️

One that bugs me is that a penalty can be awarded for a clear mistake, but if it’s deemed outside the box the very same foul goes unpunished (eg Kane vs France - should be a pen but wasn’t even a f-k). That feels ridiculous.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

Wiggy Clattenburg says the ball is still in play 

Lino didn’t flag and he has the best view…. Wtf!! From 35 yards - idiots the lot of them

anyways - COYH

IMG_4119.jpeg

The problem with this is ball looks clearly out of play based on our understanding of the law of physics however there is no clear cut evidence ie we can’t see the ball so VAR had to award a goal 

there must be some radar type technology similar to what they use for the goal line decisions? 

On 29/12/2023 at 08:54, Yobocop said:

The problem with this is ball looks clearly out of play based on our understanding of the law of physics however there is no clear cut evidence ie we can’t see the ball so VAR had to award a goal 

there must be some radar type technology similar to what they use for the goal line decisions? 

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I have looked at the rulings VAR is allowed to review/overturn/ask the ref to look at. And restarts aren’t one of them. So no wrongly awarded throw in or corner and case in point goal kick. Which was my point about Clattenburg defending the on pitch officials- the Lino has the best view lol!! 

Anyways, this has always been my beef with VAR and it was adequately highlighted by the Dalot Salah incident the other day. The ref made a clear and obvious mistake. He knew he had but also knew VAR couldn’t review a restart. Doesn’t overturn it so Dalot protests. Yellow. Followed by another yellow for dissent. 
Bloody ridiculous!! How can you only have VAR that works for 65% of the games rules ?? 
I’m watching the Man U game now and see Dalot is playing - dissent is a two match ban - football is just a complete hypocrisy nowadays…

On 28/12/2023 at 11:36, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sill not over it.

Yeah that was harsh and Chris Hughton was a complete FA kiss **** numpty in the aftermath saying that he agreed with the decision.

However I love VAR. 

I only watch Norwich games so seeing the glory hunting fans of the big clubs crying on twitter about the latest harsh or unfair decision fills my heart with warmth and makes me feel better about our mid-table Championship mediocrity.

Let the sell outs use VAR in the ESL, disband the Premier League as an organisation and let the Football League run the English league. Disney football can have their VAR and 10 subs and sinbins and miced up refs, and we can just go back to proper footy.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I have looked at the rulings VAR is allowed to review/overturn/ask the ref to look at. And restarts aren’t one of them. So no wrongly awarded throw in or corner and case in point goal kick. Which was my point about Clattenburg defending the on pitch officials- the Lino has the best view lol!! 

Anyways, this has always been my beef with VAR and it was adequately highlighted by the Dalot Salah incident the other day. The ref made a clear and obvious mistake. He knew he had but also knew VAR couldn’t review a restart. Doesn’t overturn it so Dalot protests. Yellow. Followed by another yellow for dissent. 
Bloody ridiculous!! How can you only have VAR that works for 65% of the games rules ?? 
I’m watching the Man U game now and see Dalot is playing - dissent is a two match ban - football is just a complete hypocrisy nowadays…

The lino has the best view other than he had two goalposts, netting and a defender in the way 

not sure on Dalot im afraid other than if they’ve appealed it then it may be that he’s had a reprieve didn’t realise it was 2 games for dissent as dissent is only a bookable offence so not sure how you can classify that as rule breaking when making a judgement on how long a ban should be 

On 28/12/2023 at 16:35, hogesar said:

VAR was basically a way to protect rubbish refs and keep them in a job.

They forgot they would be the same people operating VAR so now they look even more inept all whilst ruining the live experience for fans that actually go to games.

Wrong and my best mate Nutty is correct. It’s there to excite Sky viewers. 

• Haha 1

On 30/12/2023 at 19:59, Yobocop said:

The lino has the best view other than he had two goalposts, netting and a defender in the way 

not sure on Dalot im afraid other than if they’ve appealed it then it may be that he’s had a reprieve didn’t realise it was 2 games for dissent as dissent is only a bookable offence so not sure how you can classify that as rule breaking when making a judgement on how long a ban should be 

A dissent Red

I doubt VAR was/is accurate enough to make a call on quite a few decisions, including that Pukki Vs Spurs one.
It'd be quite interesting to know what the frame rate and dimensional tolerance is.