Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

When did Norwich last play a match on Christmas day?

Yes, I think it was 1965. 

I certainly remember going to Xmas Day games with my father back in the late 1950's

I had no idea games were ever played on xmas day. If it happened nowadays, people would be in uproar, blaming Sky tv etc.

5 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I had no idea games were ever played on xmas day. If it happened nowadays, people would be in uproar, blaming Sky tv etc.

Christmas Day and Boxing Day. 

I have just gone back using 11v11.com. According to the website the last game we played Christmas day was - 25 Dec 1956 Colchester United v Norwich City 1-1 Division Three (South)

1965 We played Coventry at home on the 27th (1-1 Draw)  and away on the 28th (2-0 loss).

5 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I have just gone back using 11v11.com. According to the website the last game we played Christmas day was - 25 Dec 1956 Colchester United v Norwich City 1-1 Division Three (South)

1965 We played Coventry at home on the 27th (1-1 Draw)  and away on the 28th (2-0 loss).

You looked it up? That's cheating! But I guess you win regardless

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You looked it up? That's cheating! But I guess you win regardless

Sorry, I didn't read the op correctly and read it as "I was just wondering when...". I Rescind my answer.

Remember in 94/95 playing 2 consecutive days , Spurs (h) boxing day , Forest (a) 27th

..imagine Klopp's reaction to that now!

Lost both games, the second of which Gunn broke his leg/ankle which proved to be the first nail in our relegation coffin that season

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Remember in 94/95 playing 2 consecutive days , Spurs (h) boxing day , Forest (a) 27th

Lost both games, the second of which Gunn broke his leg/ankle which proved to be the first nail in our relegation coffin that season

Who was the goalie who replaced Gunn? Remember feeling sorry for him.

17 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Was that Mark Walton or was he a bit later?

19 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Andy Marshall initially...then brought in Simon Tracey on loan who was a disaster (think George Long  x 2), ditched him after a month (I think?) ..and played the rest of the season with Marshall

• Like 1

In the old days, before and just after the 2nd World War, the football league (it was only an English phenomenon) aimed for teams to play each other home and away on Xmas Day and Boxing Day. Both teams would travel on the same train from one match to the other, the NCFC archives even discuss them staying at the same hotel in London on occasions when they had to change trains in the smoke (supposedly to reduce the costs). This led to at least one manager getting disciplined for not only allowing his players to party that night, but also because he led the celebrations.

The upshot of all this was some bizarre scores, with matches completely changing in nature - Norwich could win at a canter one day, only to lose heavily the next (and vice versa), something that was repeated across the league. Hangover central alert! Once transportation got easier and quicker this policy was ended and by the mid 50's as stated above Xmas Days were seen as a football free zone. 

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

In the old days, before and just after the 2nd World War, the football league (it was only an English phenomenon) aimed for teams to play each other home and away on Xmas Day and Boxing Day. Both teams would travel on the same train from one match to the other, the NCFC archives even discuss them staying at the same hotel in London on occasions when they had to change trains in the smoke (supposedly to reduce the costs). This led to at least one manager getting disciplined for not only allowing his players to party that night, but also because he led the celebrations.

The upshot of all this was some bizarre scores, with matches completely changing in nature - Norwich could win at a canter one day, only to lose heavily the next (and vice versa), something that was repeated across the league. Hangover central alert! Once transportation got easier and quicker this policy was ended and by the mid 50's as stated above Xmas Days were seen as a football free zone. 

Ipswich lost 10-1 to Fulham on Boxing Day 1963 then I think beat them 4-2 the next day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Ipswich lost 10-1 to Fulham on Boxing Day 1963 then I think beat them 4-2 the next day. 

That 11 goal turnaround is equivalent to us v. Colchester in 2009/10 ( nothing to do with Xmas). Has 11 been exceeded?

1936 was the summer that someone at Norwich City upset the Football League fixtures section:

Sat Dec 19th 1936 - Norwich away at Aston Villa (lost 0-3)
Fri Dec 25th 1936 - Norwich away at Sheffield United (won 1-0)  
Sat Dec 26th 1936 - Norwich away at Newcastle United (lost 0-2)

Easter Mon Mar 29th 1937 - Norwich vs Bradford (PA) (won 3-1)
Tue Mar 30th 1937 - Norwich away at Bradford (PA) (lost 0-1)
Sat Apr 3rd 1937 - Norwich away at Southampton (lost 1-3)

Note 1: The FL also screwed Southampton that season, sending them to Cov & Chesterfield on Dec 25/26 and to Plymouth & W Ham on Mar 26/27

Note 2: In 1937/38 some sanity returned as Norwich were paired with West Ham on Dec 25 & 27th. But City made a wasted Christmas Day journey to London as the fixture was postponed due to fog, just 25 mins before KO.  The match was replayed on Dec 28th.

Information from the brilliant 'Norwich City FC, The Archive'. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

So what you're saying is we're unbeaten on Christmas Day for almost 67 years !!! Has to be worth a star, or an angel or something on our shirts.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

.then brought in Simon Tracey on loan who was a disaster (think George Long  x 2), ditched him after a month (I think?) ..

I was at Goodison Park when we lost 5 nil in the cup . Tracey was in goal that day. We had Mike Sherron up front . We were doomed . It should have been more than 5. Tracey’s best save was when he accidentally sat on the ball on our goal line. 

Was that when Everton accused us of racist chants ? We were actually calling Rooney a Fat Barsteward . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

So what you're saying is we're unbeaten on Christmas Day for almost 67 years !!! Has to be worth a star, or an angel or something on our shirts.

But we don't do that sort of thing - leave that to the Binners! 😉 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I was at Goodison Park when we lost 5 nil in the cup . Tracey was in goal that day. We had Mike Sherron up front . We were doomed . It should have been more than 5. Tracey’s best save was when he accidentally sat on the ball on our goal line. 

Was that when Everton accused us of racist chants ? We were actually calling Rooney a Fat Barsteward . 

I was there too sadly , right next to the everton fans, a humiliating day

No, this was in '95

The Rooney/Racist chant allegation was 2004

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Rooney was just 9 years old when Simon Tracey played for NCFC  

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I was there too sadly , right next to the everton fans, a humiliating day

No, this was in '95

The Rooney/Racist chant allegation was 2004

Oh yes. I’ve just found the Tracey game on you tube. Poor guy stunk the place out. 

Im mixing my bad trips to Goodison Park up. Never seen us win there. 

Yes I'd say it was losing Gunn and having Tracey in goal (was it only just for a month ?!) that put us on a downward spiral that season from being in a strong position, with a halfway decent backup to Gunn we'd never have been relegated.

Also I remember being at the game with the Everton allegations in 2004, they just misheard it.

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Also happened in 86/87. Forest at home Boxing Day, won 2-1. Then Man Utd away the following day, we won there as well, 1-0.

Great days.