BroadstairsR

re: Final warning.

55 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Over a piece of fried chicken ?

Harsh.

LOL, nope. Jesus F*cking Christ. 🙂

12 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I was unaware of all that.

However, your threat of re-visiting the 'new forum you were building' was unneeded and also divisive.

The PinkUn is my stalwart and always will be.

I will be interested in noting the support you get if you continue with your threat to create a rival.

Good luck indeed.

Why? It's a terrible website owned by people who don't care about the club. Is it just nostalgia? Genuine question.

We can easily recreate all the best bits of this forum elsewhere with none of the sh1t.

Edited by New Forum

4 minutes ago, New Forum said:

Why? It's a terrible website owned by people who don't care about the club. Is it just nostalgia? Genuine question.

We can easily recreate all the best bits of this forum elsewhere with none of the sh1t.

I suspect that if you and  others do go ahead and start an alternative forum more posters will remian on the PinkUn than join the new one.

Personally,  I'd probably use both.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I know Archant hasn't said it wanted to get rid of the forum, but with the combination of the long drought of site maintenance (that seems to have been corrected) and the reference to just scrapping it in the announcement, if Archant is questioning whether it wants to continue the providing the resources for the forum and administrating it, wouldn't a conversation between Archant and the Canaries Trust about a migration make sense?

That would be a disaster we would have hundreds of threads on free female sanitary towels if we did 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I suspect that if you and  others do go ahead and start an alternative forum more posters will remian on the PinkUn than join the new one.

Thanks for honest assessment. At first it would be a challenge, the key thing would be to get the most regular posters from here on board with the new entity. A shiny new forum that was owned by fans/the people using it, that had local sponsors, community initiatives and a section where users could recommend changes/additions to the site would quickly see this site made redundant.

I've been posting/lurking on here on various accounts for 20+ years. The only thing that keeps me coming back is the lack of a proper alternative.

Edited by New Forum

11 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Yeah you’re not wrong, there were definitely phone calls 

@TIL 1010 will know more than I do 

Not too sure why you quoted me Jez as i never registered or used the club forum.

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not a rival. An option for if this forum get's completely ignored by NewsQuest as it was months ago when nobody could post without error messages and refreshing 30 times.

Upon rumours of a new forum, perhaps coincidentally, they finally fixed most of those problems. So even just the idea of a new forum may have been enough to have a positive influence.

But me and those involved who helped me test etc were not doing it to rival the PinkUn which is why it's not being used now and hasn't been for months. But it should be reassuring to people that there is an option to continue the community if NewsQuest, as it appears, are looking for an opportunity to shut it down. Clearly it's not worth the hassle to them in their eyes, and I'm sure they see the PinkUn + subscription as the revenue generator rather than this traffic nowadays.

Well done on thinking ahead.

Perhaps Connor has become a fan of this site?

He probably found it a very useful reference point as the share debate unfolded. His empty seat article likewise.

Perhaps he has picked up on some of the nastiness too. Let's salute him for his warning. Boys will be boys. We should accept that too but there are limits. Another forum will face the same challenges.

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Possibly but the weakest will quickly fail.

Personally I want to see an NCFC forum only for Norwich fans only. Football only, non of this everyday political ****, they go elsewhere.

No need for personal insults or chasing people around the forum, that's pathetic. We need better.

And Cambridge can create as many threads as he likes, providing they are about football, and preferably Norwich. 

• Thanks 1

Got me thinking actually, about what you would name the forum,

Pwehaps we  could have a competition. 

"The  Yellow and Green 'Un" is perhapsa bit of a mouthful, but has more relevance to the club than this one, named after a sports paper.

Just now, essex canary said:

Another forum will face the same challenges.

All forums face the same challenges, some are successful and good places to chat, some aren't.

Do you think this forum could be improved?

Do you think it will be improved?

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

"The  Yellow and Green 'Un" is perhapsa bit of a mouthful, but has more relevance to the club than this one, named after a sports paper.

Personally I'd call it The Nest. But yes, it should be up to everyone to decide.

I going to preface this, because I feel I need to and it also happens to be true, by saying I really like Connor. I listen to the Pinkun podcast all the time and his match reports, he’s really good. Far more professional, level headed and thoughtful than many football journalists many years his senior.

He has a thankless task here, who really wants to play teacher to a bunch of adults who really should know better? Given that, if forced into the same situation I would have probably written something similar.

But here’s the but, having listened religiously to the podcast I know his views on Norwich City’s interaction with it’s supporter base.

The Pinkun forum is microcosm of the same community. Some of the regular voices here that keep the place active and lively include quite a few who’s behaviour debatably (or obviously sometimes) crosses lines, sometimes.

However, much like criticisms of NCFCs handling of supporters, I don’t think ignoring concerns, bringing in instant bans and threatening to close the place is the way to bring this community together. That’s my honest feedback having thought on it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I was unaware of all that.

However, your threat of re-visiting the 'new forum you were building' was unneeded and also divisive.

The PinkUn is my stalwart and always will be.

I will be interested in noting the support you get if you continue with your threat to create a rival.

Good luck indeed.

46 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Erm.......

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I should say there were at least two public warnings from Joe Ferrari before the board was zapped. As to here, the focus seems to be on one poster/post and the row that then prompted. But frankly there are some long-running feuds on this site that if not provoking an equal level of anger and abuse are certainly tedious beyond belief for the non-participants.

As to what the moderators might do, a suggestion would be that rather than simply closing the site they first issue one or two life-time bans to see if that finally gets the message across.

If the mods go down that route then they should also publicise any bans, who was banned and for what. Bans thus far have only been known about through hearsay and the reasons assumed. A few public executions would be a far more effective deterrent...

2 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

This is all rather silly. I visit this site daily and missed the fuss. 

First I knew about the petty incident was, having read the hectoring op from a journalist, I looked for a reason for it. Still haven't found it beyond banning the Northern poster.

Ah well. On with my day.

It's all been deleted now,  but I'm not sure how you missed it all if you're looking every day 🤣. However it was a lot more than a 'petty incident' that many of us very correctly defended a loyal and quite honestly decent Norwich fan, of all the people on here to turn on it genuinely beggars belief.

Luckily the person in question has gone quiet, seems all they can do now is 'like' a post which they're using as tool to let us know they're still about.

Anyway enough of them, happy Xmas 😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Possibly but the weakest will quickly fail.

Personally I want to see an NCFC forum only for Norwich fans only. Football only, non of this everyday political ****, they go elsewhere.

No need for personal insults or chasing people around the forum, that's pathetic. We need better.

And Cambridge can create as many threads as he likes, providing they are about football, and preferably Norwich. 

To be blunt, you're not getting that.

Every forum I've ever posted on has had off topic sections. People in a community tend to want to discuss more than a very narrow range of subject. Heck even the forum I'm on for the game Football Manager has areas to post about various other things.

The personal stuff is also, unfortuntly, human nature. People should try and remain civil but human nature if people are going to form opinions on others who post and some of those won't be positive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

If memory serves didn't the Pink Un paper used the be called the 'yellow and green 'un'  or just the 'green un'.

1 hour ago, New Forum said:

Personally I'd call it The Nest. But yes, it should be up to everyone to decide.

Used to be one called The Nest, Paul who used to post on the offy site ran it, was a great little site. Unfortunately he had to give it up when he got a new job and didn't have the time anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's all been deleted now,  but I'm not sure how you missed it all if you're looking every day 🤣. However it was a lot more than a 'petty incident' that many of us very correctly defended a loyal and quite honestly decent Norwich fan, of all the people on here to turn on it genuinely beggars belief.

Luckily the person in question has gone quiet, seems all they can do now is 'like' a post which they're using as tool to let us know they're still about.

Anyway enough of them, happy Xmas 😆

Cheers Ken. I really did miss it! Merry Xmas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Forum said:

All forums face the same challenges, some are successful and good places to chat, some aren't.

Do you think this forum could be improved?

Do you think it will be improved?

If it has a weakness like many things NCFC it is probably too much of an old boys dominated network. Maybe an idea to consider whether broadening the existing site to other platforms could solve that to bring in more people of Connor's generation. Perhaps ask Connor directly for his views.   

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not too sure why you quoted me Jez as i never registered or used the club forum.

Oh really? Apologies, thought you did must be getting confused with this one 

51 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Used to be one called The Nest, Paul who used to post on the offy site ran it, was a great little site. Unfortunately he had to give it up when he got a new job and didn't have the time anymore. 

If I remember correctly it was a meta verse about 20 years before the meta verse actually existed. 

Paul was a bit of a pioneer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

If memory serves didn't the Pink Un paper used the be called the 'yellow and green 'un'  or just the 'green un'.

The pinkun was always the pinkun. The green’un was the Suffolk /ITFC paper. In Bury where I come from you could buy both on a Saturday night from certain pubs (like the Rose and Crown) 

Unsurprisingly,  printed on pink, and green , paper 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

If the mods go down that route then they should also publicise any bans, who was banned and for what. Bans thus far have only been known about through hearsay and the reasons assumed. A few public executions would be a far more effective deterrent...

I agree, although it might only be necessary to give the reasons. One thing I am not clear about is whether Connor Southwell is the moderator or simply acting as the spokesman fpr the moderator(s) because he is a known name. If the former I would be a touch worried. Not because I doubt his fairmindedness - I don't - but being one of the three  journalists covering Norwich City is a fulltime job, and any moderating is likely to be fitted in whenever possible.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree, although it might only be necessary to give the reasons. One thing I am not clear about is whether Connor Southwell is the moderator or simply acting as the spokesman fpr the moderator(s) because he is a known name. If the former I would be a touch worried. Not because I doubt his fairmindedness - I don't - but being one of the three  journalists covering Norwich City is a fulltime job, and any moderating is likely to be fitted in whenever possible.

I received a disciplinary “point” from Conner for calling a Binner a rude name. Obviously it was reported. Therefore Connor has been playing this role for a while . 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

any moderating is likely to be fitted in whenever possible.

I always found that five minutes at lunchtime sufficed.

Edited by PeteRaven
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

I suspect the pinkun forum is part and parcel of the pink-un as a viable website.

Obviously I'm of age when it was real pink paper (and no forum) but frankly I read the forum and not the actual articles these days! I tend to agree there are certain tribal views on here too which can't tolerate 'heresies'. For the record I'm quite happy with 'visitors' and tangential views. It all adds to the mix. Some truths are obvious to others but not to ourselves. Yellow and green tinted glasses and all of that.

Loose the forum and you loose the pink-un too - lock, stock and barrel.

Sadly though - there will always be idiots that need moderating or can't agree to disagree - they will always exist and act whatever the threats. It's just a cost.

Edited by Yellow Fever