Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

City-Wednesday highlights

29 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I still can't figure out how Rowes goal went in. Still looks weird. 

Hit keeper's thigh and squeezed in at the near stick as the goalie played all around it like Declan Rudd did with that Teemu Pukki header (yes, Pukki scored a header). Incidentally, that second Barnes miss looked, from the side, to have been deflected over.

The last two home games there have been noticeable swathes of empty seats all around the ground. This would have been almost unheard of in recent years. Is this down to the style of football? A disconnect between the supporters and club? Or just the time of year? 

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The Barnes goal is surely our goal of the season so far. Brilliant move.

Yes, this sort of goal never wins goal of the month, which is nearly always a 35-yard volley, but goals based on teamwork are more skilful in many ways than a shot that just happens to be spot on.

Sara's pass was fantastic (he did this several times during the game), and Sainz's cross was inch-perfect. It showed how crucial speed of thought is in football. Sainz knew what he wanted to do almost before he received the ball. I wish Onel and Idah had similar quick thinking because they would both be really excellent players if they did have. And then Barnes, having missed two far easier chances, (for which I slagged him off on here during half-time) made a perfect contact. Great goal.

I'd also like to give a quick thumbs-up to Dimi, who often gets dissed on here. But he is a good crosser of the ball and always has a clear aim in mind when he's attacking. Personally I think he's much better than Stacey, who gets lots of accolades on here.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

There's something Buendia-esque about the way Sainz took the ball on the turn then cut inside into space to hit one.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

A disconnect between the supporters and club?

IMO this, if there is still a close connection between club and supporter then they will continue to turn up through thick and thin. Oh for an Andy Cullen in the executive ATM.

Edited by shefcanary

15 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

The last two home games there have been noticeable swathes of empty seats all around the ground. This would have been almost unheard of in recent years. Is this down to the style of football? A disconnect between the supporters and club? Or just the time of year? 

Canary Call had idiots claiming it was the worst 3-1 they'd ever seen, and Sheff Weds should have scored more.

It wasn't and they shouldn't have but if that's the mentality of some fans after watching us generally control a game and score a couple of excellent goals then there's not much hope left. Desperately need to get some existing ST holders to not renew, those that come out of habit and don't want to support.

• Like 1

The goal we let in at 2:25 was very poor. I mean not only did our defence have more than enough time to get it out but Gunn really should have stopped it. He just seemed to freeze and let it go straight through him

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Haven't seen these posted elsewhere. The Barnes goal is surely our goal of the season so far. Brilliant move.

It’s a brilliant counter attack. I loved the simplicity of the first chance he had though, swift move perfect layoff, he should have buried that one.

Glad he got a goal though and we won comfortably in the end as he should have buried the first two chances and wouldn’t want that hanging over him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Canary Call had idiots claiming it was the worst 3-1 they'd ever seen, and Sheff Weds should have scored more.

It wasn't and they shouldn't have but if that's the mentality of some fans after watching us generally control a game and score a couple of excellent goals then there's not much hope left. Desperately need to get some existing ST holders to not renew, those that come out of habit and don't want to support.

Not Brigitte, I trust. We need to hear what she thought...🤩

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

There's something Buendia-esque about the way Sainz took the ball on the turn then cut inside into space to hit one.

Would have got good odds on that not being the best goal of the game.

52 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Someone on another thread suggested the football was 'woeful' last night. 

I've only seen the highlights, so perhaps on balance the full 90+10 was woeful. But there is football in these highlights that's the opposite of woeful. 

This team has something. Still not exactly sure what it is.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I loved the simplicity of the first chance he had though, swift move perfect layoff, he should have buried that one

It's usually an exaggeration when people say this, but I reckon I'd have scored from that chance.

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

I've only seen the highlights, so perhaps on balance the full 90+10 was woeful. But there is football in these highlights that's the opposite of woeful. 

It was nothing close to woeful.

But it also wasn't peak Farkeball.

But if it's not peak Farkeball it's generally deemed woeful now - or if Wagner's in charge it's just a preconception that doesn't change. We didn't have it all our own way but were pretty comfortable last night. It was another step in the right direction.

I don't think fans hyperbolic nonsense of calling awful, the worst or anything close to that is helpful. I think the players sense the fans aren't doing much to help either, Barnes comments' about stick were a small reference to that I thought.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It wasn’t too bad a performance, we still looked open in the counter attack situations but in attack we created some good opportunities.  

We looked a little light weight in the first half, and I still do not understand why we don’t have a CDM, all our central midfielders look at their best pushed on.  Also I thought McLean was really good at Centre Back, occasionally out of position but generally played really well.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think you have to take Canary call with a pinch of salt as they don’t often seem to have the most rational and well thought out people on there. It’s like radio click bait for the drive home to enjoy.

I thought we played really well particularly in the second half. It could have been 5-1 easily had more chances been taken. Even the sections that are normally boisterous and noisy didn’t muster much last night though I’m in the middle of the lower Barclay and virtually nothing from the snake pit or E/F block. Best entertainment from the crowd was the 3 lads near the front who’d taken a liking to shouting at their goal keeper all second half. 

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I think you have to take Canary call with a pinch of salt as they don’t often seem to have the most rational and well thought out people on there. It’s like radio click bait for the drive home to enjoy.

I thought we played really well particularly in the second half. It could have been 5-1 easily had more chances been taken. Even the sections that are normally boisterous and noisy didn’t muster much last night though I’m in the middle of the lower Barclay and virtually nothing from the snake pit or E/F block. Best entertainment from the crowd was the 3 lads near the front who’d taken a liking to shouting at their goal keeper all second half. 

Oh, you're really close to me then. I'm lower barclay block c, row c. Those 3 lads are just down to the front-left of me as I look at the pitch.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh, you're really close to me then. I'm lower barclay block c, row c. Those 3 lads are just down to the front-left of me as I look at the pitch.

Yeah I’m D block about half way up 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

My thoughts exactly. The turn and hit was unreal. Made me a bit giddy that one. 

5 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It wasn't woeful but the buildup from the defence is still poor imo. We had some success early switching the play but that didn't really last. 

I think the something that you mention is that we do in fact have a number of good football players. There's tidbits of quality in the first 2 goals. Sainz receiving on his back foot & his assist to Barnes. Sara's give and go with Idah and then first time ball through.

The problem we have is that these moments of quality are improvised, as opposed to being a routine. We know our players can do these things, the job of the coach is to create the conditions whereby they can do them often.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It's just not proper Canary Call without Barry from Gorleston is it?

Weird one last night. Dare I say it for about 60ish minutes we looked really strong, we created plenty, we scored two really great goals - but that other half an hour was way worse than an iffy spell, we looked like we'd completely lost our heads and was more or less as bad as anything we've seen all season. It'd be nice to think the 60 minute performance is the level we're going to be at, but it's very frustrating knowing we can just slip into headless chicken mode at any given moment.

17 minutes ago, splutcho said:

looked like we'd completely lost our heads

I don't think it was that - it is just under Wagner's approach, you cannot switch off the heat and sit back and take things easy - it is really all or nothing. If we are going to ride out the rest of the match, then the approach has to change significantly, this is where the fault lays, at the Head Coach's door. The players have the capability, they just need to be properly organised and coached to enable it.

7 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It was more worrying when everyone left with over 10 mins to go. 

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

There was an incessant rhythm to Farkeball in full flow - you could just see how forward passes would be hit and the team were happy to pass through the lines but if nothing was on when further forward, they'd play it back again fairly quickly, draw the other team out a bit, then try to play at pace again in the resulting spaces. It had a relentless pressure of its own, even if it wasn't built around a formidable press when not in possession.

This slower play from Wagner when we keep the ball looks like a more uncertain, embryonic Farkeball in possession even if a through ball onto a Pukki-esque striker isn't always the primary aim. It won't be the end result, and if anything there will be more focus on passes from deep splitting lines from the likes of Sara or even McLean for wingers to run onto instead of working through the thirds down the middle and the channels, but if you were to ask me what that "something" is, I think that's it.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

It was nothing close to woeful.

But it also wasn't peak Farkeball.

But if it's not peak Farkeball it's generally deemed woeful now - or if Wagner's in charge it's just a preconception that doesn't change. We didn't have it all our own way but were pretty comfortable last night. It was another step in the right direction.

I don't think fans hyperbolic nonsense of calling awful, the worst or anything close to that is helpful. I think the players sense the fans aren't doing much to help either, Barnes comments' about stick were a small reference to that I thought.

It's bad isn't it. I actually thought it was OK,  we were good up until we scored,  then we started making mistakes at the back and lost momentum,  one which led to the goal. 2nd half was better up until subs , then most went home knowing the players on the pitch would never score, I was dreading them getting a goal early in injury time as I think we would of folded. Still good win , but we still need some vision for the future. Even a couple good loan signings could lift the fans , or a win Saturday.  

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Hit keeper's thigh and squeezed in at the near stick as the goalie played all around it like Declan Rudd did with that Teemu Pukki header (yes, Pukki scored a header). Incidentally, that second Barnes miss looked, from the side, to have been deflected over.

I thought that too.. and actually the touch to set himself up before, was very decent. It wasn’t as easy chance as being suggested IMO.

2 hours ago, repman said:

I think the something that you mention is that we do in fact have a number of good football players.

I know what you mean, and agree with your whole post, but this line on its own really made me laugh. Absolutely god-tier analysis. "We have some good football players". Love it.

• Like 1