hogesar

Return of Gunn

"reliable in possession. " ?

Mind you, you don't get to notice any of the above if you are only watching the game

Gunn is a top quality keeper. Shocking that some doubted this in recent times. Maybe Long’s little spell wasn’t such a bad thing, perhaps it’s shown people how good it is to have a Gunn in goal. 

• Like 1

Gunn was mainly very good today but what about the parry to the Bristol player who then scored? They all do it but shoving the ball back out to the middle of your box isn't clever keeping.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

9 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Gunn was mainly very good today but what about the parry to the Bristol player who then scored? They all do it but shoving the ball back out to the middle of your box isn't clever keeping.

Long would have been castigated for their goal. Good that he’s back but as far as I saw/heard Angus didn’t otherwise do anything in that game that you’d not expect. To me it seems strange to single him out.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

I felt Gunn looked a bit shaky for the first half of the first half, but grew in confidence as the game went on and did well. He definitely kept us in the game at 1-0 down.

• Like 2

Not sure about his new hairstyle mind, looks more like painted on wooden top. Good to see him back though and clearly a big step up from Long.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Long would have been castigated for their goal. Good that he’s back but as far as I saw/heard Angus didn’t otherwise do anything in that game that you’d not expect. To me it seems strange to single him out.

The difference is the ball across meant Gunn had no option but to play it where he did, all he could do was get as much on it as possible and basically did get it to near edge of area, at least giving our players an opportunity to react.

Whereas Long was palming routine shots straight out in front of him.

There's a huge gulf between the two keepers.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The difference is the ball across meant Gunn had no option but to play it where he did, all he could do was get as much on it as possible and basically did get it to near edge of area, at least giving our players an opportunity to react.

Whereas Long was palming routine shots straight out in front of him.

There's a huge gulf between the two keepers.

No one says Gunn isn’t better, but he’s far from blameless for their goal. Pushing the ball into the middle of the penalty area? Long got ripped to shreds for parrying it out wide last game.  The double standards are just weird. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No one says Gunn isn’t better, but he’s far from blameless for their goal. Pushing the ball into the middle of the penalty area? Long got ripped to shreds for parrying it out wide last game.  The double standards are just weird. 

Trying to pretend Gunn pushing that shot out was anything like the same as Long's clangers last game is a little weird, to be honest.

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Trying to pretend Gunn pushing that shot out was anything like the same as Long's clangers last game is a little weird, to be honest.

53 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yeah I'm struggling with this one, it's not double standards, they are very different shots from completely different angles resulting in very different options for the goalkeeper.

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah I'm struggling with this one, it's not double standards, they are very different shots from completely different angles resulting in very different options for the goalkeeper.

Gunn’s ‘save’ pushed the ball out into what’s usually a far more dangerous place.  Long would have been whinged at for doing the same. It really is quite simple.  

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Gunn’s ‘save’ pushed the ball out into what’s usually a far more dangerous place.  Long would have been whinged at for doing the same. It really is quite simple.  

Gunn wasn’t saving a shot. The ball was coming across him straight to an unmarked player on his right. He had to push the ball away or it was a tap in. Where else can you push a ball coming across your body in front of you when the option to your right is out of the equation?

Compare that with Long’s effort where the ball was coming straight at him with options to push it away. Absolutely no comparison at all.

No doubt in my mind we would have lost if Long had been in goal.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I see. Possibly, because it's unlikely Long would have came and collected the crosses when we were under pressure or even made some of the first half saves.

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Look at the highlights of the two games and you will see the huge difference between the direction and power of the shot that Gunn faced, where he was in his goal at the time, and the players who were in front of him, and the shot that Long faced and where he was. It was relatively simple for Long to put the ball behind for a corner; that was not an option open to Gunn in the goal we conceded today. Similarly, in the Leeds game where Long had only to stand up at his near post to put the ball out for a corner, he failed to do so. In both games we were winning 2-0 and in control; in both games Long's mistakes let the opposition back into the game and gave them a huge fillip. If Gunn gets injured again we should play Reyes. The Millwall fans were quite right: Long is poor and should be at best our third option. He is yet another Webber recruitment mistake.

Edited by canarybubbles

8 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Gunn wasn’t saving a shot. The ball was coming across him straight to an unmarked player on his right. He had to push the ball away or it was a tap in. Where else can you push a ball coming across your body in front of you when the option to your right is out of the equation?

Compare that with Long’s effort where the ball was coming straight at him with options to push it away. Absolutely no comparison at all.

No doubt in my mind we would have lost if Long had been in goal.

100% this, guaranteed goal of he doesn't push it out. And it was fizzed in, so I wouldn't expect him to hold onto either. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

100% this, guaranteed goal of he doesn't push it out. And it was fizzed in, so I wouldn't expect him to hold onto either. 

Don't blame Gunn for the goal - look as our midfield fails to track any runners into the box AGAIN.

Edited by Ian
Typo
  • Like 1

Just watched the highlights back as real-time I didn't see it as a GK error. No way is that Gunn save anything like Long's. 

When you watch back all the saves it's pretty clear Gunn kept us in the game and as I said in the match thread Brizzle should have been out of sight imo.

Had it not been for Long we would have got at least a point at Watford. That's the way it goes, sh1t happens sometimes. Long is a decent no.2 back-up but no more than that and quite a way off Gunn's level (and I wouldn't call him brilliant).

35 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Just watched the highlights back as real-time I didn't see it as a GK error. No way is that Gunn save anything like Long's. 

When you watch back all the saves it's pretty clear Gunn kept us in the game and as I said in the match thread Brizzle should have been out of sight imo.

Had it not been for Long we would have got at least a point at Watford. That's the way it goes, sh1t happens sometimes. Long is a decent no.2 back-up but no more than that and quite a way off Gunn's level (and I wouldn't call him brilliant).

The highlights do rather neglect the fact we hit the post, though. Strange to waste time on a Bristol shot that was always going well wide instead. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Hopefully stays injury free so that Long never has to play for us again

Personally I would still play either Long or Reyes in the cup though, to help reduce Gunn’s risk of injury

1 minute ago, HazzaJet said:

Personally I would still play either Long or Reyes in the cup though, to help reduce Gunn’s risk of injury

100% be seeing what Reyes can do

15 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

100% be seeing what Reyes can do

Would certainly play Reyes ahead of Long, to try and give him some first team experience 

• Like 5

Didn't rate Gunn much if i've honest...  That was, until Long was playing and it made me appreciate what he offers us.

Very pleased to have him back, and I will do my best to not say a bad word against him in future, I think Krul was a very tough act to follow being half my problem I had with him.

As a few have already said, we'd have been 3 down without him and even the goal was quite unlucky from his perspective as he got a strong hand to the ball initially.  Long would've knocked it about 2 foot away, in front of a forward, and that's if he even attempted to block the initial ball across and not just watch it.

I rarely dislike City players, but Long is one of them.  So,  I really thank the canary lord that Angus is backus! 

Edited by Google Bot

Long doesn't inspire.

I think perhaps the reason he has been accepted with relatively little complaint is that we have suddenly become hardened to such questionable signings, Forshaw, Fassnacht and Hwang recently. Before that Placheta and perhaps others. Whilst they all may have their moments, the least expected from a professional footballer, none has set the place on fire or contributed to any notable upturn in fortunes.

I remember the Gunn signing being roundly lambasted at the time by a lot of people on here.

He's a fantastic keeper and other than a few ropey games that all keepers have, always has been.

• Like 1