Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Another Trip Down Memory Lane.

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

The photo does not appear in your post, as the quote shows. It does in NN's post.

It shows in mine Rob and must have done for Nutty to see it and also my post has had a reaction from @astro so he must have seen it as well. May i suggest could be the problem is at your end ?

May be an image of 2 people, people playing soccer, crowd and text

Another one for you @nutty nigel. 1986 and when the players still used the Nest pub ( Yellows ) to change following the fire. Probably due to the new dressing rooms not being ready to use together with the directors box by the look of it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

No photo description available.

Have you seen this one before @nutty nigel ?

Any rough idea of what year this photo would have been taken? I love all these old historical pics, keep them coming! 🙂

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Any rough idea of what year this photo would have been taken? I love all these old historical pics, keep them coming! 🙂

I stood on the South Stand terracing for the last game of the 1974/75 promotion season v Villa and I’m pretty sure the seats were installed before the new season started so I’m guessing the photo was taken in the summer of ‘75

Seems strange there’s only one bloke working. Surprised he’s not still there.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It shows in mine Rob and must have done for Nutty to see it and also my post has had a reaction from @astro so he must have seen it as well. May i suggest could be the problem is at your end ?

FWIW it doesn't show for me either.

9 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I stood on the South Stand terracing for the last game of the 1974/75 promotion season v Villa and I’m pretty sure the seats were installed before the new season started so I’m guessing the photo was taken in the summer of ‘75

Seems strange there’s only one bloke working. Surprised he’s not still there.

South Stand seats were first used v Leeds, on Aug 20th 1975.  The installation process wasn't completed by Aug 2nd because the stand was not in use for the (Anglo-Scottish Cup) visit of Fulham on that date.

Not sure what the "Bournemouth seats" refers to, unless @nutty nigel is suggesting that was where they came from?

14 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

South Stand seats were first used v Leeds, on Aug 20th 1975.  The installation process wasn't completed by Aug 2nd because the stand was not in use for the (Anglo-Scottish Cup) visit of Fulham on that date.

Not sure what the "Bournemouth seats" refers to, unless @nutty nigel is suggesting that was where they came from?

Well, they all happened around the time that Bondy fancied changing our team colours. I'm sure the real reason was that they were cheaper than having yellow and green ones made especially for us. Perhaps someone knows. 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wish we'd kept that corner in-fill between the Barclay and South Stand.

You’ve got to love the hotel! Looks amazing. 

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well, they all happened around the time that Bondy fancied changing our team colours. I'm sure the real reason was that they were cheaper than having yellow and green ones made especially for us. Perhaps someone knows. 

I suspect this is just another one of those "mate down the chip shop" stories, based upon nothing.

The fact is that pretty much all early plastic seating was either blue or red. Look at Wolves' John Ireland stand: not a single yellow seat!  I've looked high & low and can't find a single example of yellow/green plastic seats earlier than our River End.

image.png.857775f809e9fb56dab6a666e68fc414.png

Edited by NewNestCarrow

Just now, NewNestCarrow said:

I suspect this is just another one of those "mate down the chip shop" stories, based upon nothing.

The fact is that pretty much early plastic seating was either blue or red. Look at Wolves' John Ireland stand: not a single yellow seat!  I've looked high & low and can't find a single example of yellow/green plastic seats earlier than our River End.

It may well be so. If things are mass produced red and blue are probably the obvious colours. Wonder why we mixed them?

Mind you Geoffrey Watling went back to black shorts because the green ones faded in the laundry. The reserves used to wear the faded ones.

10 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

used to stand in the South stand corner....peering through the floodlight stanchion

I remember standing there for a night match (late 70s or 80s) when there was thick ice had frozen on the steps. It was the coldest I've ever been at a football match. There was one man and his dog there.

Wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

It may well be so. If things are mass produced red and blue are probably the obvious colours. Wonder why we mixed them?

Mind you Geoffrey Watling went back to black shorts because the green ones faded in the laundry. The reserves used to wear the faded ones.

Arthur South would only consider red while other members of the Board had the opposite political view? :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Just now, NewNestCarrow said:

Arthur South would only consider red while other members of the Board had the opposite political view? :classic_biggrin:

Love that!

8 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I thought at some point the old south stand had seats and terracing ? Vague recollections of the terracing being in front of the seats? 

There was an enclosure at the front, couple of steps was about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I thought at some point the old south stand had seats and terracing ? Vague recollections of the terracing being in front of the seats? 

I think you can see the (small) paddock in the original photo; the upright workman is actually in the standing area, inbetween the two waist-high fences

Edited by NewNestCarrow
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, yellow 63 said:

There was an enclosure at the front, couple of steps was about it.

31 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I think you can see the (small) paddock in the original photo; the upright workman is actually in the standing area, inbetween the two waist-high fences

Thanks both. Glad I wasn’t going mad. I used to sit with a couple of old’uns in that stand . Used to get lifted over the turnstile and sit in between them . 
That was before concessions of course 

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

John Bond did indeed change our colours. It was the Kevin Keelan testimonial match against Ipswich in which we played in Bournemouth red and black. It wasn't well received. 

I'm pretty sure the seats were bought second hand but I can't remember who from 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

15 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

The fact is that pretty much all early plastic seating was either blue or red. Look at Wolves' John Ireland stand: not a single yellow seat!  I've looked high & low and can't find a single example of yellow/green plastic seats earlier than our River End.

This was the time when virtually a total redevelopment of Molyneux took place and the pitch was turned 90 degrees if i remember correctly.

14 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Are you not getting confused with the Main Stand ? @ricardo will have the answer.

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Are you not getting confused with the Main Stand ? @ricardo will have the answer.

I don't recall terracing ever being in front of the seating in the South Stand. My recollection is that it was all changed to seating in one go.

The main stand used to have a standing area in front. It was known as the Enclosure.

• Like 1