Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Carlisle

I remember watching Phil Neale (cricketer/footballer) turning out for Lincoln City....I also saw Botham once playing for Scunny.....  

8 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I remember watching Phil Neale (cricketer/footballer) turning out for Lincoln City....I also saw Botham once playing for Scunny.....  

Leicester’s record appearances player Graham Cross was an excellent cricketer too. Sadly did time for post office fraud in the 90s. 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t think Notts County have ever played Carlisle in the top flight. Early 80s when the Magpies went up under Sirrel. 

Interestingly (in the loosest sense of the word) I believe man Utd are the only football league team that Carlisle have never played in a league match as they were relegated from the top flight for the one season that Carlisle were up there...

3 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Interestingly (in the loosest sense of the word) I believe man Utd are the only football league team that Carlisle have never played in a league match as they were relegated from the top flight for the one season that Carlisle were up there...

That’s correct, Utd straight back up as champions though with Norwich promoted too in 3rd place. 

Denis Compton was a footballer who played cricket for Arsenal in the 40's and 50's.

Earlier was WG Grace cricketer of the 1880's and played for the Wanderers.

i think and Hope the drawn out process is so MA can put in 20million a year (to club  example )for 3 years or  until he has bought Delia and MWJ out ,

my understanding is D & MWJ do not want to make a profit and want the funds pumped back into club ,

So if MA just handed D & MWj A Cheque for 60 million ( example / guess ) they could not give the club the money back as owners can only invest XYZ a year so if MA does it over 3 years  in loans then the club benefit ,

Delia and MWJ do not make a profit as MA loans turn into their shares ?

if D & MWJ just sold their shares to MA it would be very quickly but then the club would lose out of the money that their shares  are worth 

like i said might be wrong but  i hope that is the case ,

The only Problem i can see is if MA does not write off the loans once he has paid the agreed price and charges a percentage  and he has D & MWJ shares 

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

The old quiz question who captained England and played in the 4th division 

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Lakey’s point isn’t about success on the field. He’s pointing out that takeovers can be done speedily and cleanly for the sake of a fresh start and that Carlisle’s makes clear how pointlessly drawn out and messy ours has been. Point made and certainly worthy of reflection 

Oh, if the only point is that takeovers can happen quickly then I don't think anyone has disputed that. The argument is whether that's a good thing or not and is quite obviously very easy to draw conclusions from looking at every "quick" takeover in football in the last 10 years?

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not on here as there are enough of them on this forum already.

Don't get angry and lash out about it.

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

The old quiz question who captained England and played in the 4th division 

There's one that goes...

Which three England captains played for S****horpe?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's one that goes...

Which three England captains played for S****horpe?

Keegan, Botham and Clemence.

• Like 1

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Keegan, Botham and Clemence.

Did Ron Ashman manage them all? I'm not sure when Clemence left but he certainly did the other two. Gave Keegan his debut.

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

In what way is this not an attempt to draw a comparison?  

Because he isn’t saying - we are like Carlisle- he is saying the situation in Carlisle, a different club to us, shows that takeovers can happen quickly. It’s not hard to understand - why do you seek to add extra meaning? 

29 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because he isn’t saying - we are like Carlisle- he is saying the situation in Carlisle, a different club to us, shows that takeovers can happen quickly. It’s not hard to understand - why do you seek to add extra meaning? 

I'm beginning to think you don't know the meaning of comparison.

• Thanks 1

The speed of a takeover is often determined by how much in the sh** they are ie nothing to bargain with. And it is only once further down the line, that the fans find out how bad that takeoever was. But as said, if you are flat on the floor then anything is better than what you have at the time. My thought though, would be that Carlisle hardly smacks of a worthy acquisition, and what would determine success for them ? Staying afloat ?

Perhaps we need to be like Cardiff. Years of mediocrity, and now look at them.  And just look at that shiny new stand with it's club clolour seats....red. And just down the road, Swansea. A club long held up as a model to follow, as was Charlton, once. If we had better owners we would have gone up with Sheff Utd and Burnley. You don't see them struggling. Nor Luton, come to that (unkind folk might point out that even as awful as we are this season, we have nearly 50% more points than those three clubs have in total).

• Like 1

I can't believe this is serious. I'm as thick as mince but I would have thought a major problem for us would be the fact that our club is owned by so many fans rather than three men and a dog.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

What’s happening with this American must be illegal in some way.

Problem is we have wayyyyyyyy too many Fag Packet Accountants but a real shortage of Barrack Room Lawyers...

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I can't believe this is serious. I'm as thick as mince but I would have thought a major problem for us would be the fact that our club is owned by so many fans rather than three men and a dog.

Bang on first line and second line. 

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What I have heard is that this chap is unable to squeeze the club as he first hoped, hence the delay. I would not be surprised if it eventually fizzled out. Which would rather point towards his true intent.

Delia and Michael do really remind me of those two characters from the league of gentlemen. The “this is a local shop for local people we’ll have no trouble here.

Just googled it, it’s “Tubbs and Edward”

I think Tubbs is a fitting nickname for Delia 

I expect they were just finalising contracts with Mark Attanasio and Old Tubbs shouted “wE DiDn’t bURn hiM!!”

Edited by The Real Buh

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Delia and Michael do really remind me of those two characters from the league of gentlemen. The “this is a local shop for local people we’ll have no trouble here.

Just googled it, it’s “Tubbs and Edward”

I think Tubbs is a fitting nickname for Delia 

I expect they were just finalising contracts with Mark Attanasio and Old Tubbs shouted “wE DiDn’t bURn hiM!!”

You don't like NCFC, do you ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It was 74 and an 3.0 win, I only pointed out County were not up there around the same time as Carlisle. 

Did you go?

Or was there a Y in the day...

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

No, he’s saying the takeover in Carlisle is happening quickly but the alleged takeover here is not.

If I said you are a poster who constantly seeks to find ways of portraying our club in a negative light but @hogesar is a poster who looks for possible reasons why events may not be as negative as you suggest, would you think I am comparing the two of you?

Because I very much would be.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I still remember the last "exciting" Carlisle takeover. Michael Knighton. That went through really quickly too.

Ah yes, and his car KIT (joking)

15 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Indeed Lakey, unfortunately those that have replied would like our takeover to drag on indefinitely or better still be cancelled. 

Sorry but this is the biggest pile of BS you have posted. The only people even mentioning it not happening are those who usually cry for "Delia Out", usually because they feel MA will finally realise "how badly run" the club is and do a runner.

Absolutely no one wants the take over to drag on indefinitely - certainly no one on here.

You'd have to ignore everything that those who have better understanding of how finances and systems work to believe this is the case.

In reality, the situation here is quite different to Carlisle I believe. Much smaller club, smaller value and a complete take-over isn't it? Ours is different as it isn't a full take over and a waiver is involved. That all has to be checked as above board as does the checks on MA etc.

14 hours ago, RobJames said:

that Carlisle hardly smacks of a worthy acquisition, and what would determine success for them ? Staying afloat ?

Given that their ground floods regularly it may be relocation is the key ambition? 😉 

14 hours ago, RobJames said:

What I have heard is that this chap is unable to squeeze the club as he first hoped, hence the delay. I would not be surprised if it eventually fizzled out. Which would rather point towards his true intent.

Attanasio is following the same MO as when he bought out the Brewers in Milwaukee.

There he followed a similar acquisition pattern. The Brewers were essentially controlled by one family who held the majority of the shares, but had signalled their intent to relinquish control to someone with more resource behind them. Enter Attanasio who reached an accord with the family, slowly buying up shares in the club as they became available. Then after about three years of shadow boxing, the family agreed to sell all their shares to Attanasio in a friendly takeover. 

This MO is very much unlike his approach to Corporate business by all accounts. Attanasio is keen not to upset the outgoing owners and those who are close to the club. He is prepared to prove his "honest" credentials and intentions, then complete the takeover once all parties are content. Thereafter however he tends to control things with a vice like grip, as you can no doubt pick up by reading fans views on the Brewers equivalent of this message board.  

So, there is a method behind why Attanasio has chosen Norwich and why he is following this current protracted takeover. Cynically it reduces the cost of the takeover so works well from his asset management perspective. But he has demonstrated he can take a middling team to be one of the top six performing clubs in a very competitive league. Whether he can repeat this at Norwich remains to be seen, but given the path at the Brewers, it'll be well in to the 2030's before we see the fruits of this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chicken said:

Sorry but this is the biggest pile of BS you have posted. The only people even mentioning it not happening are those who usually cry for "Delia Out", usually because they feel MA will finally realise "how badly run" the club is and do a runner.

Absolutely no one wants the take over to drag on indefinitely - certainly no one on here.

You'd have to ignore everything that those who have better understanding of how finances and systems work to believe this is the case.

In reality, the situation here is quite different to Carlisle I believe. Much smaller club, smaller value and a complete take-over isn't it? Ours is different as it isn't a full take over and a waiver is involved. That all has to be checked as above board as does the checks on MA etc.

If you think that’s the biggest pile of BS I’ve posted then you seldom read my offerings. I stand by what I posted, some really would like it cancelled or wish it had never got started at all. 

Can't stand Carlisle - I  remember playing them back in the 80's in a League Cup match and one of their 'hard' supporters stole a scarf off a young female Norwich fan.... hated them ever since.  Found it highly amusing when their pitch flooded!