cambridgeshire canary

Plymouth; a chance to get back on track?

So, we are playing tommorow against a team which does have some good players but its fair to say are one which avoiding relegation will be seen as a success.

Given how the end of the firt half against Leicester was somewhat disastrous and we have some awful injury news to boot (which funnily enough seems to happen every season about this time of year..) could our match tommorow be a chance for us to get things back on track?

Or do you think its set up to be a classic along came Norwich situation? After all when we played Rotherham they had not won in six and well, we all know how that match went..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Short on manpower up front obviously. I think our midfield is better than theirs. And now we cannot say its time for Adam to step up, he is all we have left.

Start as we finished against Leicester and we should be OK.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So, we are playing tommorow against a team which does have some good players but its fair to say are one which avoiding relegation will be seen as a success.

Given how our second half against Leicester was pretty disastrous and we have some awful injury news to boot (which funnily enough seems to happen every season about this time of year..) could our match tommorow be a chance for us to get things back on track?

Or do you think its set up to be a classic along came Norwich situation? After all when we played Rotherham they had not won in six and well, we all know how that match went..

A bizarre statement even by your standards.

• Like 1

Amidst the current bad news surrounding injuries, Wagner did at least offer a couple of encouranging lines at this mornings press conference.

Forshaw it appears is ready to start and Wagner finally referenced that Sara could be pushed further forward....where he absolutely must now play imo if we're to offer any kind if goal threat

Forshaw    McLean

Fasscacht        Sara        Rowe 

Hwang or Idah

..is as good as we have currently have , until such time as Sainz reveals whether he's a first team starter or not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

A bizarre statement even by your standards.

Are you implying our players didn't lose their heads? Come on buddy, nothing wrong with admitting it. Although I will admit I made a mistake and meant to say first half

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Are you implying our players didn't lose their heads? Come on buddy, nothing wrong with admitting it. 

In the second half we created a lot of pressure on a very good team and were unlucky not to equalise.  Towards the end they scored a second goal on the break (which many of us feel was offside) and that was pretty much the end of it.  

If you think that's disastrous I've no idea how you'd cope if you had to watch Suarez score a hat trick against us in a 5-0 defeat.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

In the second half we created a lot of pressure on a very good team and were unlucky not to equalise.  Towards the end they scored a second goal on the break (which many of us feel was offside) and that was pretty much the end of it.  

If you think that's disastrous I've no idea how you'd cope if you had to watch Suarez score a hat trick against us in a 5-0 defeat.

I was hugely encouraged by the second half against Leicester, I thought we made them look second best, but it was always with the risk that they would score from a breakaway.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Are you implying our players didn't lose their heads? Come on buddy, nothing wrong with admitting it. Although I will admit I made a mistake and meant to say first half

First half was a tactical plan to contain them and make it hard for them to break on us. That was certainly no disaster and the game was finely balanced. We got undone by firstly a strange decision to penalise Gibson, a foul not given then Stacey getting sucked forward leaving his man exposed which meant Fassnacht had to get back and cover causing a clumsy foul. Whilst the first half wad short on chances by both sides it was actually a decent game all in all. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

First half was a tactical plan to contain them and make it hard for them to break on us. That was certainly no disaster and the game was finely balanced. We got undone by firstly a strange decision to penalise Gibson, a foul not given then Stacey getting sucked forward leaving his man exposed which meant Fassnacht had to get back and cover causing a clumsy foul. Whilst the first half wad short on chances by both sides it was actually a decent game all in all. 

Agree with that. The first half was a game of chess, very tactical and good to get involved in as a spectator especially as we were holding our own. Until, that is, Fassnacht decided to play draughts instead. Brainless.

This is the second time I believe that we have lost points due to reckless behaviour in the penalty area. It was Gibson before v Southampton.

It has been stated that training will not be so intense this week because of the heavy schedule. Perhaps  Wagner could do with concentrating upon this trait by sitting the squad in front of a screen showing these howlers repeatedly. These players might not be the clearest thinkers in the heat of the moment, but these mistakes are unforgivable and very costly and education might be necessary.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Agree with that. The first half was a game of chess, very tactical and good to get involved in as a spectator especially as we were holding our own. Until, that is, Fassnacht decided to play draughts instead. Brainless.

This is the second time I believe that we have lost points due to reckless behaviour in the penalty area. It was Gibson before v Southampton.

It has been stated that training will not be so intense this week because of the heavy schedule. Perhaps  Wagner could do with concentrating upon this trait by sitting the squad in front of a screen showing these howlers repeatedly. These players might not be the clearest thinkers in the heat of the moment, but these mistakes are unforgivable and very costly and education might be necessary.

Hopefully with the commentary, twice they referred to the players first half decisions as “stupid”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes - I can't help but feel it's likely better odds (for us) not to cause a clumsy foul in the penalty area in desperation  -  allow the striker to take his 1/2 chances against Gunn. Give away a penalty (and a booking) and odds are very much they'll still score from an even better less hurried position.  Fine margins though.

Edited by Yellow Fever

i would put a young forward on the bench , Boy from man city ?

times like this sometimes you can unearth a gem 

maybe last 20 mins if Idah or Hwang 

i know it is a team game and we are getting goals from everywhere on the pitch ,

starts with the press and hard work totally understand that but a striker is judged on goals not miles time for someone to step up and score from our front line 

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Amidst the current bad news surrounding injuries, Wagner did at least offer a couple of encouranging lines at this mornings press conference.

Forshaw it appears is ready to start and Wagner finally referenced that Sara could be pushed further forward....where he absolutely must now play imo if we're to offer any kind if goal threat

Forshaw    McLean

Fasscacht        Sara        Rowe 

Hwang or Idah

..is as good as we have currently have , until such time as Sainz reveals whether he's a first team starter or not.

Hwang or Idah

it can’t get much better 

2 hours ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

[Struggles not to make a puerile comment about being sucked forward with a man exposed.]

Fails.

A1F2EC9A-7A03-479C-ABCB-A8732F0C1EF1.jpeg.8fada14c3ac892e43993469a56064004.jpeg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

[Struggles not to make a puerile comment about being sucked forward with a man exposed.]

Fails.

A1F2EC9A-7A03-479C-ABCB-A8732F0C1EF1.jpeg.8fada14c3ac892e43993469a56064004.jpeg

This is one of the most boomer looking comics I have seen for a while

And yet I still laughed

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why do you shoot yourself in the foot CC ? Just read the post before you wang it in and you’ll save yourself a heap of grief.

• Haha 1

Leicester game is done and dusted.   

Plymouth gives every chance for the squad to show what they are capable of.  Plymouth will take the game to us which should also allow us to break well.  

All still to play for.   Focus, win battles and do your expected tasks, bouncebackability

I haven't been back to Plymouth since we lost 3-0 in the Roeder years. Probably the worst performance I've seen from a Norwich side. Was anyone else there? 

I sat just in front of Neil Adams and Radio Norfolk. At the end I offered to speak on the radio but couldn't promise not to swear. Neil politely declined. 

I had posh tickets because my sister was friends with a Plymouth player. I bought the first round and didn't get him a drink. I turned round from the bar and there he was smiling at me. I told him I hadn't got him a drink because I assumed he would still be having a shower. "I didn't need one" he said which is still the most painful thing anyone has ever said to me. 

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Plymouth gives every chance for the squad to show what they are capable of.  Plymouth will take the game to us which should also allow us to break well.  

All still to play for.   Focus, win battles and do your expected tasks, bouncebackability

I agreed, but do you want to put a link to your motivational speaker business ?

Gunn

Stacey.     Magic    Gibson.      Dimi 

Sara.             Kenny

Fass.              Rowe.            Placheta 

Hwang 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I haven't been back to Plymouth since we lost 3-0 in the Roeder years. Probably the worst performance I've seen from a Norwich side. Was anyone else there? 

I sat just in front of Neil Adams and Radio Norfolk. At the end I offered to speak on the radio but couldn't promise not to swear. Neil politely declined. 

I had posh tickets because my sister was friends with a Plymouth player. I bought the first round and didn't get him a drink. I turned round from the bar and there he was smiling at me. I told him I hadn't got him a drink because I assumed he would still be having a shower. "I didn't need one" he said which is still the most painful thing anyone has ever said to me. 

ONLY time I've been there 😱😱😱

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is one of the most boomer looking comics I have seen for a while

And yet I still laughed

OK boomer

If Plymouth fans are anything like some of our lot they'll expect to have lost the game before it evens starts. We have players with Premier League experience, have spent millions more than they have etc etc.

It's a game we certainly need to get back on winning ways. 3 defeats in 4 games would not be a good look.

It's got draw written all over this for me. 1-1 or less. I think Wagner will go for one up front  having lost our strike force in two fell swoops.++ Unfortunately he has little choice but to make that one Idah, but I just wonder how long the boy will last this time around before Hwang is used. If ready, I'd like to see Forshaw start as we have little choice but to defend it out in away games until after the festive season, it seems.

My Fink tank today is:

Plymouth win 25%

Draw 50%

Norwich win 25%

I maybe should have edged a little towards the Pilgrims as they are the home team and have 'jack-in-the-box' Mumba, but I think I'll keep faith in our defence and a more defensive strategy being employed.

** "This term was used and probably invented by Shakespeare in Macbeth where the playwright likens the murder of Macduff's wife and children to a hawk swooping down on defenseless prey."

Is that an allegory for Bali Mumba swooping down on our defence?

Edited by BroadstairsR

After Sainz, Ogwuru and Dickson-Peters all involved with the U21s squad last night it would seem only 1 up top today. Unless of course Wagner decides to try and get in a winning position first and then close the game out. I hope it's the latter.

18 hours ago, ZLF said:

You seem to have been on here forever ZLF. Looks like you joined in Sept 2003. 20 years unstinting service so you must be one of the original posters.

Happy Anniversary…..

Haha, hadn't noticed that tbh.  From memory I think that is that date of the revised forum, there was a more basic one last millennia but yes, I have aged significantly 

2 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Haha, hadn't noticed that tbh.  From memory I think that is that date of the revised forum, there was a more basic one last millennia but yes, I have aged significantly 

Does this take you back?

sainsbury-90s-website.jpeg

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Does this take you back?

sainsbury-90s-website.jpeg

I saw that and instantly heard a dial-up Internet connection in my head.

• Like 1