Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Stoke

Yet another very warm Saturday and with no chance of sneaking a lift to the ground we had no option but to resort to the bikes. I was well puffed just pumping the tyres up but somehow I made it to CR without a heart attack.

Games against wee Alex are usually very tight affairs but judging by the opening quarter of the game it looked as though it might turn out very one sided. City looked fresh and dangerous from the get go with some sweeping attacks down both wings and before five minutes was on the clock Sara had swerved a twenty-five yarder a foot wide of Travers right post and Fassnacht had brought a save from the keeper with a shot from the edge of the area. On fifteen minutes City swept down the right and Sara's ball found Gianoullis who managed to stab the ball across the face of goal and somehow niether Barnes nor the Stoke Keeper could get a touch.

You could see that Rowe was brimming with confidence as he took defenders on and it wasn't very long before he was on the end of a bit of rough house stuff from the Stoke full back. It was good to see that he could dish out a bit of physicality himself as there was a bit of argy bargy on the goal line whenever City took a corner.

We saw little of the visitors as an attacking force until the mid point of the half when a speculative long range effort ended up flying yards over Gunn's bar. It signalled a flurry of action in the Home defence as the central defenders were called upon to fend off a couple of sharp balls in from the Stoke right and there were appeals for a penalty when Gibson appeared to fall over the back of a big Stoke striker. Some Ref's might have given it and it did look rather clumsy even from a hundred yards away. Back down our end there was a burst of goal mouth action as the Home side retained possession and got numbers in the box. A cut back found Idah free on the edge of the box but his precise side foot never had the power or placement to beat Travers.

Sara and McLean combined beatifully at times and in the space of a few minutes we were treated to the full range of the Brazillians passing skills. A lovely crossfield pass almost got Fassnacht in but he delayed too long, then a slide rule pass from quick free kick got Rowe into a shooting position only for Travers to get right behind it. It had been a good half but it seemed we were to be denied the reward we deserved until on the stroke of forty five minutes Rowe challenged for a cross and got enough on it to deflect the ball into Stacey's path at the angle of the six-yard box and the City full back did enough to get the ball over the despairing grasp of the Stoke keeper to give the home side the lead. Stoke almost got one themselves with the last kick of the half but the ball flew wide and we all breathed again

It was certainly no less than we deserved and the talk at halftime was more about extending the advantage in the next forty-five.

Unfortunately football has a way of changing direction for no accountable reason and from the restart City were never able to reassert their first half dominance. It didn't help that a couple of dithering moments while trying to play out from the back, set the nerves jangling. The visitors penned us back for long minutes and there were a couple of scrambles as corners were cleared.

I thought Idah had done reasonably well and got involved in some nice passing moves but had never really looked like scoring so I wasn't shocked that he was pulled on sixty minutes, along with Gianouliss who I imagine Wagner was playing safe with, due to a yellow card. Placheta looked immediately lively, showing a turn of speed down the left but Hwang did little to impress during his brief cameo. Admittedly the home side were mostly on the back foot so I wouldn't be over critical.

I don't recall many heart in the mouth moments as Stoke perssured the home defence, it was more a case of being unable to relieve that pressure for any concerted period of time. Rowe was replaced by Onel with twenty minutes left and Gibbs and Sprigett came on for the visibly tiring Barnes and Fassnacht for the last ten plus added time. I think most of us were just wishing the clock to go round a bit faster, take the three points and go home. Eventually thats the way it did turn out and although it was never a spectacle it was certainly a deserved win on the balance of chances created and a clean sheet is never to be sneezed at.

Sara my MOM, best player on the pitch by a country mile. honourable mentions for Kenny , Stacey and Rowe. Not a classic by any means but It will need to be better on Wednesday if we are to pick anything up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

Your report matches what those of us watching via other methods were seeing and discussing on the match thread. Sara has certainly upped his tackling which was his let down at one time.

Leicester will be interesting. If we can make todays first 45 minutes last 90 on Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ricardo - great report as ever. I sit in the Snakepit and it definitely looked like a penalty in the first half - certainly the prevailing opinion around us.

• Thanks 1

Excellent report Ricardo…..my first visit of the season and hope to get to the midweek game work and situation depending!

Good first half struggle a tad second half, Rowe was impressive going forwards and thought Idah worked well, impressed with McLean & Sara that worked really well, Stoke putting that big immobile unit up too played into our defensive strengths.

Last if that’s the standard Whang then he’s less useful that Idah by a country mile, looked lost, no pace and little idea! Still his first game so we shall see and hope for improvement there!

Enjoyable day all round…

• Thanks 1

That’s how I saw the game Ricardo. Thanks once more for an excellent report. I’d add that Duffy was outstanding and I loved his little cameo going forward in the first half that resulted in him setting up Idah in open play. I was also wondering what on earth he was doing leaving his defensive duties behind. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Yet another very warm Saturday and with no chance of sneaking a lift to the ground we had no option but to resort to the bikes. I was well puffed just pumping the tyres up but somehow I made it to CR without a heart attack.

Games against wee Alex are usually very tight affairs but judging by the opening quarter of the game it looked as though it might turn out very one sided. City looked fresh and dangerous from the get go with some sweeping attacks down both wings and before five minutes was on the clock Sara had swerved a twenty-five yarder a foot wide of Travers right post and Fassnacht had brought a save from the keeper with a shot from the edge of the area. On fifteen minutes City swept down the right and Sara's ball found Gianoullis who managed to stab the ball across the face of goal and somehow niether Barnes nor the Stoke Keeper could get a touch.

You could see that Rowe was brimming with confidence as he took defenders on and it wasn't very long before he was on the end of a bit of rough house stuff from the Stoke full back. It was good to see that he could dish out a bit of physicality himself as there was a bit of argy bargy on the goal line whenever City took a corner.

We saw little of the visitors as an attacking force until the mid point of the half when a speculative long range effort ended up flying yards over Gunn's bar. It signalled a flurry of action in the Home defence as the central defenders were called upon to fend off a couple of sharp balls in from the Stoke right and there were appeals for a penalty when Gibson appeared to fall over the back of a big Stoke striker. Some Ref's might have given it and it did look rather clumsy even from a hundred yards away. Back down our end there was a burst of goal mouth action as the Home side retained possession and got numbers in the box. A cut back found Idah free on the edge of the box but his precise side foot never had the power or placement to beat Travers.

Sara and McLean combined beatifully at times and in the space of a few minutes we were treated to the full range of the Brazillians passing skills. A lovely crossfield pass almost got Fassnacht in but he delayed too long, then a slide rule pass from quick free kick got Rowe into a shooting position only for Travers to get right behind it. It had been a good half but it seemed we were to be denied the reward we deserved until on the stroke of forty five minutes Rowe challenged for a cross and got enough on it to deflect the ball into Stacey's path at the angle of the six-yard box and the City full back did enough to get the ball over the despairing grasp of the Stoke keeper to give the home side the lead. Stoke almost got one themselves with the last kick of the half but the ball flew wide and we all breathed again

It was certainly no less than we deserved and the talk at halftime was more about extending the advantage in the next forty-five.

Unfortunately football has a way of changing direction for no accountable reason and from the restart City were never able to reassert their first half dominance. It didn't help that a couple of dithering moments while trying to play out from the back, set the nerves jangling. The visitors penned us back for long minutes and there were a couple of scrambles as corners were cleared.

I thought Idah had done reasonably well and got involved in some nice passing moves but had never really looked like scoring so I wasn't shocked that he was pulled on sixty minutes, along with Gianouliss who I imagine Wagner was playing safe with, due to a yellow card. Placheta looked immediately lively, showing a turn of speed down the left but Hwang did little to impress during his brief cameo. Admittedly the home side were mostly on the back foot so I wouldn't be over critical.

I don't recall many heart in the mouth moments as Stoke perssured the home defence, it was more a case of being unable to relieve that pressure for any concerted period of time. Rowe was replaced by Onel with twenty minutes left and Gibbs and Sprigett came on for the visibly tiring Barnes and Fassnacht for the last ten plus added time. I think most of us were just wishing the clock to go round a bit faster, take the three points and go home. Eventually thats the way it did turn out and although it was never a spectacle it was certainly a deserved win on the balance of chances created and a clean sheet is never to be sneezed at.

Sara my MOM, best player on the pitch by a country mile. honourable mentions for Kenny , Stacey and Rowe. Not a classic by any means but It will need to be better on Wednesday if we are to pick anything up.

Funny how we all see things differently, thought Kenny was way ahead of Sara today

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Funny how we all see things differently, thought Kenny was way ahead of Sara today

Yeah, same. I didn't think Sara was up to his usual standard and I'd probably give McLean man of the match today. 

Generally speaking though, an excellent report from Ricardo. The only two things I'd really disagree with are Sara and the comment about there not being any 'heart in the mouth' moments. Maybe I'm just a bit more jittery than the battle-hardened Ricardo, because mine was in my mouth a few times.

• Like 1

Great report, I too thought Kenny played well today, not to say Sara didn’t. It was a tough game, but we took all three points and that’s all that matters…😎

• Thanks 1

Rowe is a talent. Best on our books. 

Not an easy game but Jonathan Rowe is quickly becoming a player we will rely on. 

He creates something from nothing. Let's hope we can keep hold of him. 

• Like 2

Just fwiw that incident in the first half was never a pen in a million years, the guy was fouling Gibson and then fell over.

I thought Hwang did as much as could be expected - we were very much in ‘seeing-the-game-out’ rather than attacking mode.  He put himself about and had a few touches, there’s obviously more to come from him.

Stoke really didn’t create a huge amount - they had a few ‘moments’ but so all sides will…put it this way: they came no closer to scoring a first than we did to scoring a second, and that’s good enough for the win in my book.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

Thus proving football is all about opinions . Sara was nowhere near MOM. 2 centre backs, Kenny and Rowe far better. Worse I’ve seen Sara at home this year. 

PS it was never a pen in a million years. Right in front of me. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Great report Rickyyyy.

We scrapped out the second half defending from the front and that was good to see. The supporters appreciated the performance and stayed with the team right to the end.

Kenny was my MOTM.

Think people are being a little bit harsh with our second half performance. We definitely dropped off but some of that was Stoke being fired up and they have a few decent players. We were also defending a narrow lead and if not for a fortunate bounce between Rowe and the Stoke player making the ball fall to Stacey it looked every bit to be one of those afternoons where we just couldn't squeeze the ball in the back of the net. 

Yeah we didn't dominate them second half and we lost a lot of ground in general but we defended well and I can't recall Gunn having a difficult save to make really. I said to myself after about 30 minutes when we'd been all over them but couldn't create a clear chance that this is gonna finish 0-0 or 0-1 to Stoke, it just felt like one of those games and I think we did really well to get ourselves in front and then hang onto that lead. Playing well isn't always just about having lots of possession and creating lots of chances, we're not good enough to dominate any team in this league for 90+ minutes so there will be spells when the opposition get on top and I thought our workrate and some of our last ditch defending (especially from Duffy) was excellent. 

11 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Thus proving football is all about opinions . Sara was nowhere near MOM. 2 centre backs, Kenny and Rowe far better. Worse I’ve seen Sara at home this year. 

PS it was never a pen in a million years. Right in front of me. 

Pretty much in front of me too. We must sit close!

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Upper Barclay Hog. I think you may be lower? 

Ah! Yes. Behind the goal. 👍

• Like 1