S_81

Aarons to Saints

26 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Bit weird that Aarons move seemingly depends on Toni Livermento moving on from Southampton for a very large fee given Max is available for as low as 5 million.

Given that Toni only has 30 odd career to Max 250 appearances has suffered an ACL injury compared to Max blemish free injury record.  

Max also consistent keep Livermento out of the England u-21s when both were fit. Plus Livermento is only a year younger than Max.

I think it's based on the fact that Livramento looked better in those Premier League appearances than Max ever did in the Premier League, plus of course that Max only has a year left on his contract and everyone knows that both club and player are looking for a transfer 

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think it's based on the fact that Livramento looked better in those Premier League appearances than Max ever did in the Premier League, plus of course that Max only has a year left on his contract and everyone knows that both club and player are looking for a transfer 

I mean I sought of get it but I mean football is weird sometimes 

250 appearances to 30

injury free vs only just back from acl

5 million fee vs 25 million fee

1st choice in u21 to second choice 

I mean if Newcastle were looking for a backup a second choice right back and left back then Aarons is a would be be a decent option.

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

I’d be more than happy for Max to stay. If the only realistic offer is from Southampton then frankly I think he should stay.

He's done here from a mental perspective though, what is the point in keeping him?  Stacey looks far more switched on and hungry for that role and physically stronger.   Max sitting on the bench would be an awful outcome.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

He's done here from a mental perspective though, what is the point in keeping him?  Stacey looks far more switched on and hungry for that role and physically stronger.   Max sitting on the bench would be an awful outcome.

I hear you. And agree re Stacey. And doubt Max would want to be shifted to the left. But arguably would be a better option than we have there 

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

What's happened is we didn't sell him at the height of his time with us (which had we done so would have been criticised as unambitious) but he's now at a stage where he's only got a year on his contract so he's worth significantly less. Which is another aspect I said would be criticised had we done the same with Emi on my Sheff Utd thread.

Agreed but his form has dipped well below those halcyon days of the first promotion season and even the first Farke PL season. Had that form been maintained and enhanced that Webber valuation may well have been met. Sad to see that it has not.

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

£30m+ was a hands off gesture, and clubs kept their hands off, that's what happened.

Maybe but same strategy was publicly adopted for both Cantwell and Buennia. The 'hands of' gesture didn't work with the latter did it!

17 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

The 'hands of' gesture didn't work with the latter did it!

You know the reason we sold him was because he was on a 'one more' season promise, right? 

We successfully kept hands off him and had a hell of a season with him and Skipp in the squad, and sold at a huge profit.  So the gesture worked very much as intended.

Well Livramento has moved to Newcastle. We will see shortly whether Southampton will move from Max now or it was pure speculation. I suppose Russell Martin being there will probably help their cause, if indeed their interest is real.

• Like 2

Southampton will be laughing sell Livermento for 40 million buy Aarons for 5ish million. Little or no dip in quality of the side. Plus funds to buy in four or more players.

I still think we'll see a further 3 additions. Perhaps a couple on loans to plug gaps where injuries have happened etc. This will happen late in the window aka now.

Edited by jaberry2

12 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Southampton will be laughing sell Livermento for 40 million buy Aarons for 5ish million. Little or no dip in quality of the side. Plus funds to buy in four or more players.

£5m ? Back down the A140 with you

On 03/08/2023 at 17:13, Ulfotto said:

massive risk for newcastle

well they do have the blood money so maybe not

Something has gone very, very wrong if we end up selling Aarons to a championship rival at cut price. Yes he is in his last year - but he is one of our best players, and an England under 21, young with loads of experience. We were all happy to see him get a ‘big move’ but if he isn’t moving up - then letting him go sideways for peanuts is woeful mismanagement. 

10 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Something has gone very, very wrong if we end up selling Aarons to a championship rival at cut price. Yes he is in his last year - but he is one of our best players, and an England under 21, young with loads of experience. We were all happy to see him get a ‘big move’ but if he isn’t moving up - then letting him go sideways for peanuts is woeful mismanagement. 

He’s only worth what another team is willing to pay. 

Aarons hasn’t pulled up any trees up in the last 18 months. Currently, Stacey offers  more and the right back spot is his. Given Aarons is out of contract and unlikely to play much if Stacey stays fit, what’s the point in keeping him this season and letting him walk for free?

I’d snap Southamptons hand off for £5million at this point. Yes, we could’ve sold for more in the past, but that’s just that now, the past. We enjoyed watching his talents in a yellow shirt instead. I like Max, but I don’t think he’s going to hit the heights many thought he might 5 years ago. He isn’t worth the same amount either.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

How is Stacey all of a sudden a better option than Max after one game?

Get a grip people 

I know it is only one game but personally I believe Stacey is better defensively, better in the air, he looks as quick as Max and his delivery into the box is miles better...........

• Like 1

Max is 22. He has so many games under his belt for his age. Form is temporary but class is permanent. Anyone who would ‘bite off someone’s hand’ at £5m needs psychiatric help. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I know it is only one game but personally I believe Stacey is better defensively, better in the air, he looks as quick as Max and his delivery into the box is miles better...........

Nah disagree Max is class and yes stagnated but everyone did under Smith and we are still recovering.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Max is 22. He has so many games under his belt for his age. Form is temporary but class is permanent. Anyone who would ‘bite off someone’s hand’ at £5m needs psychiatric help. 

For once I agree with you, however I would be surprised if anyone were to offer £10m+ now due to the time left on his contract and who may be in for him...

Max is a good player and will only get better at a bigger club, with better coaching etc. Stacey seems a good player and is an adequate replacement. Had a good preseason and a good start to the season. You cant compare the two after such little time.

£5m is laughable.

But you never know we could end up selling Aarons, Mumba and McCallum at a combined fee of less than £10m.

Surely the main reason for Max's price going down (apart from the fact he's in his last year) is that with teams overloading wide areas now his lack of height really counts against him? Teams just want their full backs to have more physical presence now

Well if there is any truth in the West Ham interest I would expect that to come to fruition shortly. They seem to be furthering signings currently. I imagine they are trying to agree a fee with most likely terms being agreed with the player already, if not West Ham/Southampton etc.

Edited by jaberry2

£5m would be a disgustingly low price. Surely even with one year left we should be looking at £10m plus, maybe even £15m. We sold bloody Redmond for £12m with one year left and that was about 8 years ago!

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

For me, it's the evidence of him looking locked in and hungry for us.

I feel he's better committed to attacks, stronger physically, better at crossing the ball from edge of box and from the byline, plays with confidence and prepared to go in for the tackle rather than backing off.

The guy was everywhere, feels like watching a man take over from a boy in that position, to me.

• Like 1

If Aarons goes good luck to him. He's been a great servant. In fairness to Webber, I'd be confident he'll extract a good fee for him. 

I wouldn't be upset if he stayed though. Would create quality competition for both full-back positions. Hard to know with Fisher & McCallum is a decent enough option.

The squad depth in general still looks a bit thin to me along the spine - a few injuries away from a very average team. Perhaps we will see some action in the loan market before the end of the month.

• Like 1

Yep we need better squad depth for sure.

Off topic - I wonder whether there is any truth in that Venezia Striker link - Pohjanpalo. If true he would probably opt for the alternative of Leeds, unless Pukki puts a good word in his ear for us.

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Get a grip people 

Get a grip? It’s clear from pre-season and one competitive game what he offers. He’s a top Championship player. 

Everyone saying £5 million is laughable. I’ll repeat, he’s only worth what another club wants to pay! 

There isn’t a queue of clubs lining up for Max. And he has one year left on his contract. His form has dipped over the last 18 months, how on earth are you valuing him at £10 million plus!! That’s delusional. And what will prove that, is the fact we won’t get it!

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto