Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Yobocop’s Big Question of the week: First & favourite games

Greetings fellow Pink'Un Message board members!

It's time for another exciting edition of Yobocops' big question of the week, proudly sponsored by Winalot Dog Food!

This week, we're diving into our cherished memories of supporting Norwich City FC. So, let's get the discussion going!

1. First Norwich Game at FCR:
I'll start us off! My very first game at Carrow Road was around 1995, facing Wimbledon. Despite the result being a 2-1 loss to Wimbledon, it was memorable, especially with Jeremy Goss netting a goal for Norwich.

2. First Away Game:
Ah, the thrill of an away game! My first one was against the same opposition, Wimbledon. Fortunately, we managed to secure a thrilling 1-0 victory with Marc Libbra as the hero scorer in the last minute at Selhurst Park. What an unforgettable moment that was!

3. Favourite Game of All Time:
Now, this is a tough one, but if I have to pick, it would be the incredible 1-0 win against Portsmouth. The victory not only brought us joy but also secured our promotion to the Premier League under Lambert's brilliant management.

Now, it's your turn! Share your own memorable Norwich City FC experiences with us. When was your first game at Carrow Road? What about your first away game? And of course, let us know your all-time favorite game!

Let the reminiscing begin! 🙌🟡🟢m

OTBC 

First game 20 August 1960 versus Sheffield United ending in a 1-1 draw.

First away game 30 January 1962 versus Ipswich FA Cup replay resulting in a 2-1 win for us underdogs.

Best game 24 April 1972 versus Orient away resulting in a 2-1 win and inaugral promotion to Division One.

1 Southampton 1-0 1983 Keith Bertschin

2. Liverpool 2-6 1986 we were not that bad, Liverpool were just that good Rush and Walsh.

3. Milk Cup Semi Final win at home v the Binners 1985 what can you say, a perfect evening.

1. 29 Sep 1973 City 0 Leeds 1

2. Not really sure maybe Spurs that same year

3. Has to be the Play Off final win as I shared the day with my son! 

Sadly I can nit recall my first game, many free reserve games with my grand father, but itbwould have been mid 70s, standing on a crate in the river end. Ditto first away game

Most memorable has to be a semi final win over Ipswich with bruces late winner, but honorable mentions incl beating a frustrated Ronaldos man u side, the uefa experience and hearing on the bus home from Hillsborough that we were promoted . 

Edited by ZLF

April 1985, 1-1 vs Sheffield Wednesday. 

Oct? 1991, 0-0 at Southampton. 

2015 Play-Off Final. 

First game 3-2 win over Bristol City in March 1968

First away game 3-0 opening day defeat at Leicester in 1970 I think 

Favourite ever game was 5-1 victory at Portman Road. Thanks Paul Lambert!  I am one of a generation that watched us regularly get hammered by some very good Ipswich teams. It made that night very special. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

First game 20 August 1960 versus Sheffield United ending in a 1-1 draw.

First away game 30 January 1962 versus Ipswich FA Cup replay resulting in a 2-1 win for us underdogs.

Best game 24 April 1972 versus Orient away resulting in a 2-1 win and inaugral promotion to Division One.

What are your memories of the Ipswich game in 1962? Must have been special 

Luton at home FA Cup 1976 2.0 win (watched 2nd half in the commentary box) 

Leicester away 1976 0.0 draw. 

Coventry away lost 5.4 1977 or Leicester away 3.2 win 2011. 

First game - Norwich 2 Sheff Utd 1 Nov 1992, a win which I think put us eight points clear at the top of the Premier League, halcyon days indeed.

First away game - The infamous 2-2 at Wolves in 1998, can't remember the Muscat incident, but do recall feeling scared on the walk out of the ground!

Best game - Has to be the play off final, a very un-Norwich like comfortable win followed by an amazing night out at the Red Lion in Islington afterwards. Nine pints later, I was struggling down an escalator at Kings Cross singing about Jon Otsemebor - what a day!

41 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Luton at home FA Cup 1976 2.0 win (watched 2nd half in the commentary box) 

Leicester away 1976 0.0 draw. 

Coventry away lost 5.4 1977 or Leicester away 3.2 win 2011. 

I was at that Coventry game on Boxing Day. We missed a penalty in the last minute to make it 5-5.

We stopped in a car park at King's Lynn on the way and a couple of us got out for a cigarette. An elderly man in the next car was taking an absolute ear bashing from his wife who left him there while she went shopping. My friend asked him to join us at the football and he jumped in the car without a second thought. Lovely man but he was sh****** himself on the way home. 

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I was at that Coventry game on Boxing Day. We missed a penalty in the last minute to make it 5-5.

We stopped in a car park at King's Lynn on the way and a couple of us got out for a cigarette. An elderly man in the next car was taking an absolute ear bashing from his wife who left him there while she went shopping. My friend asked him to join us at the football and he jumped in the car without a second thought. Lovely man but he was sh****** himself on the way home. 

What a great story, at least she had plenty of time to get all the shopping done. John Ryan took it but a good save from Blyth. Crazy match to watch live and on my birthday too. 

• Like 1

First Game at Carrow Road

August 1973 v West Ham, 2-2 draw

First Away Game

1st January 1980 at Palace, just about the only game on in London that day, Millwall fans stood with us small band of Norwich fans and Selhurst Park was a dump.

Best Game

This might seem a strange one but I am going for May 1982, 4-1 win against Leicester City at Filbert St, have never forgotten that game because of how superb we were that day. The play off final against Boro was a very close second.......

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

First Away Game

1st January 1980 at Palace, just about the only game on in London that day, Millwall fans stood with us small band of Norwich fans and Selhurst Park was a dump.

Best Game

This might seem a strange one but I am going for May 1982, 4-1 win against Leicester City at Filbert St, have never forgotten that game because of how superb we were that day. The play off final against Boro was a very close second.......

Forgot the 4.1 win in 82 and was in pen 1 at Filbert Street that day. What a run of results from late winter to May to win promotion. Went to Hillsborough for last match too. All a bit flat at the final whistle until the man on the tannoy said “Congratulations Norwich City you are promoted” 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

First game at Carrow Road-22/9/84, 3-2 win against Watford (first game would have been the 6-1 win against them in April the same year but I missed my train and got to Norwich too late to see the match so went around the record shops instead-only found out the score on the train back.

First away game-24/10/81, 3-0 defeat against Watford-although as I lived in Watford and had a season ticket, this probably doesn’t count! I gave up my season ticket after that season so my first game in the away end would have been either 9/10/82, 2-2 draw with Watford or 15/10/83, 3-1 win against Watford.

Best ever game-12/9/92, 3-2 win away at Chelsea. Just a fantastic atmosphere and a great comeback from 2-0 down at halftime.

• Like 1

1. First Home Game - Norwich City v Crewe Alexandra, 8th August 1998 - Bruce Rioch's first game in charge. 2-1 win with Bellamy and Kenton scoring

2. First Away Game - Bradford City v Norwich City, 7th September 1996 - 1-2 win with Sutch and Eadie scoring

3. Best Ever Game - Take your pick from Play Off Final v Middlesbrough 25th May 2015

or Ipswich v Norwich 1-5 21st April 2011

or Rotherham v Norwich 1-2 25th August 2015 "...on the pitch if Ricky scores!" (proud member of the "I saw both RvW's competitive goals scored for Norwich" club)

49 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Forgot the 4.1 win in 82 and was in pen 1 at Filbert Street that day. What a run of results from late winter to May to win promotion. Went to Hillsborough for last match too. All a bit flat at the final whistle until the man on the tannoy said “Congratulations Norwich City you are promoted” 

Went to every home game that season and a couple of away games, it all started with a 4-1 defeat at Rotherham (went to that) and as you say we went on a real run ending in defeat at Hillsborough (also went to that). From memory I went to the away games at Rotherham, Wrexham, QPR, Bolton, Cambridge, Luton, Derby, Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday........

First: 23rd August 1994 vs Crystal Palace. Drew 0-0. Rubbish game and because I was the only one in the house that liked football but had no clue about FCR seating I managed to get my seat in the away supporters. 

First away game: just recalled Arsenal away in the cup, James Husband had Walcott in his back pocket (no, really) and we only lost out because of late goals from Eddie Nketiah 

Best ever: really tough to call as the play off final was great, but tainted by the awful coach journey. I’m going to say the Man City win, the atmosphere was just incredible, closely followed by Wednesday at home 2-2 after that Vrancic winner and that promotion feeling 

Edited by SwearyCanary
I have been to an away game - I just totally forgot

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Went to every home game that season and a couple of away games, it all started with a 4-1 defeat at Rotherham (went to that) and as you say we went on a real run ending in defeat at Hillsborough (also went to that). From memory I went to the away games at Rotherham, Wrexham, QPR, Bolton, Cambridge, Luton, Derby, Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday........

I think that Rotherham game saw the introduction of Club Canary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think that Rotherham game saw the introduction of Club Canary. 

Yeah it did, Duncan Forbes came with us didn't he ? We scored first ( Greg Shepherd ? ) but lost 4-1 to a newly promoted Rotherham

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

First Away Game

Best Game

I remember that Leicester game as I was there too but for different reasons. I was a 16 yr old and went with my dad, we got there and were advised by the coppers to sit in the stand with Leicester fans, what a big mistake! We went 1 up and I had to restrain myself from cheering, then after the 2nd goal I had the biggest shock I’ve ever had at a game when the guy next to me pulled a knife and said if he saw any Norwich fans he’s gonna stab them. I didn’t wear any scarf that day thankfully but I absolutely crapped myself but we didn’t leave until the last few minutes, one of the only times I’ve ever done that. We made a sharp exit and reported the guy on the way out but didn’t stay to find out if anything happened to him!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Yeah it did, Duncan Forbes came with us didn't he ? We scored first ( Greg Shepherd ? ) but lost 4-1 to a newly promoted Rotherham

Yes Greg Shepherd scored first, but Norwich were tormented by their winger Tony Towner (seem to remember he was "stocky")......

• Like 1

Unfortunately details of my first match are lost in time - went with my dad in 69-70 season, stood on a stool in the South Stand over towards the River End about two thirds up - I was 6 at the time. I just remember we were in position by 1pm, well before kick off at 3.

My first "away" match from the Carra was the 1973 League Cup Final against Spurs. In the league unfortunately it was one of those defeats at Poorman Road during the mid to late 70's - I've tried to erase memories of them, but I get the odd flashback! 😉 

As you can tell from the above, I have a useless memory regarding matches, but like a junkie I keep looking back to my first real memory to experience that high again. This was the 5-1 beating of Blackpool back in 1972 - the game where we truly looked like promotion was on; Graham Paddon with a reyt thunderbastard - I was hooked !

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Saw a fair few matches on the run in. I really believed we were going up after winning 2.0 at the Baseball Ground ( excellent performance) and as you say we blitzed Leicester soon after 4.1. Did you see the streaker take that penalty at Filbert Street? 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What are your memories of the Ipswich game in 1962? Must have been special 

Funnily enough I have very little memory of my first game or away game. For the Ipswich game, we went in someones car as we didn't have one. To be honest, I think I was a bit scared. At 11, I was a bit tiny for a match of that kind and I don't recall seeing much other than a lot of my Dad's gaberdine raincoat.

And my first game was stood at the River End and just seeing very little and the chat among the men. I'm not sure I even really wanted to go but had got caught up in the 59 cup run which I was too small to go to, so had probably nagged Dad to go. I do remember going through the boys entrance and standing terrified waiting for Dad to come through.

If truth be told, he probably didn't want me there either. Looking after someone in those days was nothing like now.

I don't think I really became excited until 1963 when Stanley Matthews came to Carrow Road with Stoke and we beat them 6-0. I think that was the match that lit the fire.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Saw a fair few matches on the run in. I really believed we were going up after winning 2.0 at the Baseball Ground ( excellent performance) and as you say we blitzed Leicester soon after 4.1. Did you see the streaker take that penalty at Filbert Street? 

I seem to remember there were two streakers that day.........

A young Trevor in that must win final match 73/74 season. 2 down 2 promoted in those days and over 44,000 at Saint Andrew’s that day. 

First home game. 9th March 1963 City 6 Stoke 0 in a league game and to add 4 days later on 13th City 5 Newcastle 0 in the FA Cup.

First away game. 23rd August 1969 Leicester 3 City 0.

Most memorable game Bayern Munich 1 City 2 the night we made history.

First home game was a 3-3 draw with Nottingham forest in 1978. They were absolutely flying at the time and unbeaten in ages and were quickly 3 nil up. If I remember Keith Robson got 2 and Colin suggest the other . Thought every game would be as good !

First away game was 1980 at Portman road and a 4-2  defeat against a very good Ipswich side . Remember Kevin bond having a shocker. 

Favourite game probably the play off final with my youngest daughter and son who was 10 at time . An all round dream day. Close second would be the milk cup final on my birthday with my girlfriend at the time . Winning at Maine road in 1997 the week after princess Diana's death was pretty special too as a day too 

First game, NCFC 0-0 Newcastle in May 1985, same day as the Bradford fire. Remember nothing about the game, but 38 years later I'm still here...

First away game Spurs 2-1 NCFC, league cup QF in, I think Jan 1992. We took the lead in the first half and I was carried about ten yards down the terrace in the ensuing mayhem - never been in such a huge standing area before. Vividly remember Gunny turning to the away fans with a clenched fist as he headed for the dressing rooms with us 1-0 up. Two later Lineker goals broke our hearts in the second half.

Favourite game - obvious choices are the Bayern Munich home game, the play-off win over Wolves with Malkay's late goal, the 3-2 win over Derby with Jackson's late winner (CHHHHAAAAANNNNNNCCCCCE!), but for something a little different I'm going to go for a routine 2-1 away win over Sheff Utd in November 1993. We'd just knocked Bayern out of the UEFA cup and been drawn against Inter in the next round. "Que sera sera, we're going to Italy," sang the away fans, under a huge yellow and green flag. I missed the first goal because I was under the flag. We won away, because of course we did, we won every week. Probably the club's high-water mark, that little period.

• Like 1