Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Not feeling optimistic yet.

For the first time ever I'm not excited about watching this squad of players.w e have no stand out players to get you off your seat.Ireally hope that I I'm proved wrong and we gel quickly and play attacking football from the start .Having watched the some of the pre season games we look OK but nothing special. I think it's going to be a long season of a lot of effort from the players but only a mid table outcome at best.Maybe .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Nunez is the one hope I have for that special bit of quality. We know he has it - that volleyed goal he scored was amazing piece of skill.Ā 

This quality needs to be on tap though, not once or twice a season. Ā  Ā Sadly itā€™s not!

Poor kit with poor squad quality to match. Will be a long season.

Have hopes we might break into the top seven but with no defensive midfielder signing and no real creativity up top I too don't have too much hope.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

One thing is for certain we will top the charts most weeks for workrateĀ and sprints as most of our managers squads do,this will be key as season go's on.

I'm looking to Wagner and Co to lay down some sort of playing style we can all get behind. It's very early days and certainly can't be judged on pre-season.

Ultimately results are everything but it isn't going to be Farkeball.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

The issue last season is we had a weak mentality and conceded soft goals. At the moment with the signings made we are looking to address that weakness. If can tighten up at the back and not be such a soft touch that is 10 more points on last year straight away.

Although it might be unpopular and a downgrade on previous campaigns players such as Sara, Sargent, Hernandez and Nunez are capable of assisting and scoring goals at this level. Yes not to extend to win automatic promotion but to get us in and around the playoffs.

• Like 1

Imo itā€™s all just too early to say - Iā€™ve never read much into pre-season and never will; ,play sides off the park and itā€™s usually a false dawnĀ followed by a poor season, and vice versa. Ā It might not be exciting, but weĀ need to see it for what it is: heavy training sessions and (at this stage) matches mostly about getting fitness up to scratch. Ā 

One thing we do seem to lack is a bit of creativity, but we do have Sara missing and Iā€™m sure several other players will be heading in.

Ā 

Edited by Branston Pickle

9 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

The issue last season is we had a weak mentality and conceded soft goals. At the moment with the signings made we are looking to address that weakness. If can tighten up at the back and not be such a soft touch that is 10 more points on last year straight away.

Although it might be unpopular and a downgrade on previous campaigns players such as Sara, Sargent, Hernandez and Nunez are capable of assisting and scoring goals at this level. Yes not to extend to win automatic promotion but to get us in and around the playoffs.

Duffy's own goal against Kings Lynn must classify as one of the softest, and certainly the most ridiculous, we have seen in the last two years. OK, so that was probably (hopefully) just a fluke, but when does a fluke become a pattern? Those soft goals were a pattern last season, not a sequence of freak occurrences. It'll take a lot more than tightening up at the back to change that.

14 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Duffy's own goal against Kings Lynn must classify as one of the softest, and certainly the most ridiculous, we have seen in the last two years. OK, so that was probably (hopefully) just a fluke, but when does a fluke become a pattern? Those soft goals were a pattern last season, not a sequence of freak occurrences. It'll take a lot more than tightening up at the back to change that.

Crikey, thatā€™s scraping the barrel a little - in 4 preseason games weā€™ve conceded 2 goals including that one (which was purely just a misunderstanding of where his keeper was), so it does feel we have concentrated on that a bit. Ā But it is only preseason, so who knows.

I think people are generally more concerned about creativity at the other end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Crikey, thatā€™s scraping the barrel a little - in 4 preseason games weā€™ve conceded 2 goals including that one (which was purely just a misunderstanding of where his keeper was), so it does feel we have concentrated on that a bit. Ā But it is only preseason, so who knows.

I think people are generally more concerned about creativity at the other end.

I agree about creativity being the greater concern. However, it'll take more than a few friendlies to make me think our defence is not a Ā co*k-up waiting to happen. The early signs are positive, but it's not that simple to eliminate those mistakes. We were well ahead of the whole league in terms of stupid defensive errors last season. And once you go one behind, the lack of creativity becomes even more worrying.Ā 

Whilst the focus to date in pre-season isĀ building strength and fitness for the season ahead, the work on formations and creativity is hopefully still to come. But as I mentioned in another thread, even of things click the way Wagner wants, I don't expect us to be playing beautiful football 90 minutes every match. If they don't click, it will be a very long season hiding behind our hands!Ā 

To be a fly on the wall at the first ā€œhow do we blame all this on the fansĀ strategy meetingā€ of the season next week.

2 wins against the scum and avoiding relegation will be a good result this seasonĀ 

I think we'll be better defensively this season. Stacey looks quality. Duffy is decent too. I'm slightly concerned as to where the goals are coming from. I think Sara, Nunez, McClean are capable of chipping in with 4 or 5 goals each. Hernandez maybe 2 or 3. Barnes we can hope for double numbers (10), Sarg maybe 10 also but then what? We'll be well short. I can't see any of the other players getting more than 1 or 2 in a season. Idah won't get 10 so where are the goals coming from?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

I think we'll be better defensively this season. Stacey looks quality. Duffy is decent too. I'm slightly concerned as to where the goals are coming from. I think Sara, Nunez, McClean are capable of chipping in with 4 or 5 goals each. Hernandez maybe 2 or 3. Barnes we can hope for double numbers (10), Sarg maybe 10 also but then what? We'll be well short. I can't see any of the other players getting more than 1 or 2 in a season. Idah won't get 10 so where are the goals coming from?

Idah might get 10 games injured for every 1 he plays

Iā€™m optimistic, because Iā€™m always optimistic at the start of a new season, otherwise what the actual f*** is the point?Ā 

Weird how some talk about having a ā€˜poor kitā€™ as someĀ reason why not to be hopeful. Armchair sitting doom-mongering key board warrior types that never go to games.Ā 

It might be underwhelming, it might be sh*** or it might be great. Either way Iā€™ll be just as optimistic next July about the season to come.Ā 

We've got to go through 36 gamesĀ of "give them time to gel" comments yet.

Every other team is "gelled before the season starts but our squads take 36 weeks more apparently.