38 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Annoying - I wish Crawley could kick-on, seems to often do a chunk of the hard part and then just do a nothing shot. Particularly annoying to me as a Kent fan!

Edit: Root and Bairstow do owe us a few, definitely need to be in at close of play.

There’s a reason he averages less than thirty in test cricket. He is a big problem. 

39 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

There’s a reason he averages less than thirty in test cricket. He is a big problem. 

He's looked better this series- not as on edge- but it hasn't translated into big scores.

1st  day of test match cricket that I have taken 0 interest. Didn't bother listening or even checking the score until play was over 

Feels a bit like 1992 when I lost interest in  watching Norwich, due to all seater stadiums and the premier league. I thought maybe I would regain interest in going, but as I have only been back to Carrow Road 3 times since then (one time only in the hotel), then I think that's done 😔

Hopefully, come the weekend, some enthusiasm will have returned, otherwise I might be done with Cricket as well 😢

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

1st  day of test match cricket that I have taken 0 interest. Didn't bother listening or even checking the score until play was over 

Feels a bit like 1992 when I lost interest in  watching Norwich, due to all seater stadiums and the premier league. I thought maybe I would regain interest in going, but as I have only been back to Carrow Road 3 times since then (one time only in the hotel), then I think that's done 😔

Hopefully, come the weekend, some enthusiasm will have returned, otherwise I might be done with Cricket as well 😢

Must say I'm a touch confused. Of any test series how is this the one to make you lose interest?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Clearly both sides want an extra few days off after this one too watch Wimbledon and the F1, one side bowled and another 3 down after just one day! Can't see this going anywhere near the distance

11 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Why are you still frequenting a Norwich forum if you lost interest 31 years ago? Following England has never been more exciting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Clearly both sides want an extra few days off after this one too watch Wimbledon and the F1, one side bowled and another 3 down after just one day! Can't see this going anywhere near the distance

Weather looks iffy after today so we could well get 5 days, although a collapse today and yes it will be all over on day 4.

It’s not the type of cricket it’s our lack to drop poor performing players like Barstow, been abysmal this series and can single handed cost us the ashes. Poor batting and can’t catch for toffees consistently dropping easy catches most wicket keepers catch with their eyes closed.

Just not anywhere near as good as the Aussies!

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s not the type of cricket it’s our lack to drop poor performing players like Barstow, been abysmal this series and can single handed cost us the ashes. Poor batting and can’t catch for toffees consistently dropping easy catches most wicket keepers catch with their eyes closed.

Just not anywhere near as good as the Aussies!

Well it's a bit of both.

The second test was in large part down to the type of cricket- the idea we simply had to take on the Australian short ball and thus walk straight into their trap.

This test has been about sloppy basics. Based on the chances we had yesterday we should have had the Aussies all out for under 200 with all the impetus and a chance for a big lead, instead we're likely going into the second innings behind.

Frustrating as we keep beating ourselves.

There has been some wonky thinking, both tactically and with selection.

These two need to really dig in, wear the bowlers down and hopefully make hay during the second half of this afternoon's session when conditions should be at their best for batting. We could then grind towards their total with a Stokes onslaught to come.

It wont happen as Ali will likely be caught in the deep trying to hit a six.

Stokes is playing with responsibility, but is easily tempted.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well it's a bit of both.

The second test was in large part down to the type of cricket- the idea we simply had to take on the Australian short ball and thus walk straight into their trap.

This test has been about sloppy basics. Based on the chances we had yesterday we should have had the Aussies all out for under 200 with all the impetus and a chance for a big lead, instead we're likely going into the second innings behind.

We have come up against a better team with a better attitude. Now we are confused. I have never seen so many leaves since Boycott. Are we now saying it was all BS to say we won't take a step back? There is nothing elese other than a win to try and win back the Ashes. And if you drop someone who then goes on to get 100 more you are faced with a far different problem than we hoped to play Bazball against.

45 minutes ago, king canary said:

BAZBALL!

Basically Farkeball - exceptional against weaker opponents but against better ones...

Still been a good watch mind, despite the frustration.

40 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

There has been some wonky thinking, both tactically and with selection.

These two need to really dig in, wear the bowlers down and hopefully make hay during the second half of this afternoon's session when conditions should be at their best for batting. We could then grind towards their total with a Stokes onslaught to come.

It wont happen as Ali will likely be caught in the deep trying to hit a six.

Stokes is playing with responsibility, but is easily tempted.

Say no more.

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well it's a bit of both.

That’s the sign of a good team, to pressure and take the chances given, we’ve been awful this test series, Jimmy has been found with his age, Barstow isn’t worth his place, Root been struggling all round, best performance with the ball bowling, I could go on, but reality is we’re miles behind Australia, they’re a cheating bunch, but they’re also the best and in my opinion not even in third gear!

PS it’s a perfect batting day and when we’re bowled out for 150 watch the Aussies pile on the runs today!

Edited by Indy

Anyone who thinks this England team is good is deluded! It shows that the Aussies are just way ahead of everyone else currently, England may be the best of the rest but that’s not much comfort tbh especially when you think of recent Ashes series 

I thought a nice sunny day listening to the cricket at work would be fun. 😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Basically Farkeball - exceptional against weaker opponents but against better ones...

Still been a good watch mind, despite the frustration.

In fairness results against South Africa New Zealand Pakistan and India…

Posted before this test that if you add up the averages of the players off the bat in this series, England would have won both tests - the batting isn’t the issue. The issue has been the much higher number of extras from englands bowlers and the dropped catches, sloppy fielding etc.

This batting performance isn’t great today/yesterday but had we bowled and fielded better in the first two tests, we’d have probably been sitting here saying you’re allowed one bad day at the office batting when you’re already 2-0 up…

• Like 1

Wood clearly decided he was in for a good time and not a long time. Need the remaining batters to try and shut up shop and let Stokes attack.

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wood clearly decided he was in for a good time and not a long time. Need the remaining batters to try and shut up shop and let Stokes attack.

Starting from….. now!

Stokes is a great cricketer but he is also a bit of a poser. I don't think there is a match goes by where is isn't limping or rubbing something. I think he loves the crowd to think he is batting with one arm and one leg.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Stokes is a great cricketer but he is also a bit of a poser. I don't think there is a match goes by where is isn't limping or rubbing something. I think he loves the crowd to think he is batting with one arm and one leg.

He has barely bowled all series because of his knee injury… I don’t think he’s faking it 

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He has barely bowled all series because of his knee injury… I don’t think he’s faking it 

Was going to say, he's definitely been carrying an injury all series.

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I know he has injuries and isn't faking but some players don't like to let the opposition see any vulnerability. But I was just saying that I think he likes the crowd to know it. Like Ibrahimovic.

There’s lots of negativity on here, and I get that we’re now going to be on the brink of losing the series for the next 2.5 tests, but I don’t really think the scoreline so far is totally reflective of the balance of play - nor do I particularly think that ‘bazball’ is to blame.

Yes there have been faults but the majority of our issues for this series can be put down to individual errors or poor selection choices.

First test yes the declaration was perhaps too brave, but we still were in position to comfortably win that game by the last day - and should’ve been in a much better place if Bairstow didn’t miss basic stumping opportunities! If we had Foakes in for Bairstow we would’ve won the first.

The second test saw the most obvious time you could really blame a poor spell on bazball, losing 3 quick wickets stupidly, going from 188-1 to about 220-4. Some really poor shots then Stokes came out and dug in - suggests the players already should’ve been playing the situation better then they were. But we were well beaten in that game overall, with the main fault being the failure to take advantage of bowling on the first day; more so than bazball.

Let’s also remember how much these games have ebbed and flowed too. Australia have been nearly as guilty as collapsing at times too. Even yesterday they went down 90-4, then back up to 240-4, then all out for 260. 6 wickets for 23 runs? There was a similar collapse on the first test when we knocked down about 5 wickets in a morning session. They totally flapped getting Stokes out at the end of the second test, and the first innings of the second test allowed us to get to 188-1. But ultimately it doesn’t matter because they’ve edged both results so far. 

Overall I think the ‘style’ has been plenty good enough to have succeeded in at least the first test, and put us in a great position for this one, it has just been down to controllable factors which we haven’t done well enough. 

The most simply fact is that if Australia had been catching like us, and us them, then we’d be at least be 1-1 in the series right now and also with a very strong first innings lead in this test (the Marsh dropping was fatal). Is failing to make simple catches a part of bazball?

I know they’ve missed some chances too but nothing like what we’ve done.

The new style has been superb since Stokes became captain, 3-0 in Pakistan, beating New Zealand, 11 wins in 13, and I’m thoroughly enjoying this series although it is disappointing to have individual errors costing us.

We’re still a good team, and I’m hopeful we could still do something special…

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I know he has injuries and isn't faking but some players don't like to let the opposition see any vulnerability. But I was just saying that I think he likes the crowd to know it. Like Ibrahimovic.

Yeah I understand. But on prior efforts him being visibly injured should put the fear in the opponents, the more you hit him the more he hits you!