Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England squad announcement

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Mings and MaguirešŸ˜‚

Mings has been a key part of a Villa defence that has conceded 6 goals in the last 10 games.Ā 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Mings has been a key part of a Villa defence that has conceded 6 goals in the last 10 games.Ā 

The most recent game I watched he arguably should have been sent off but after that he was defensively superb

How long has Maguire got to sit on the United bench before Southgate doesn't include him in his squads?Ā 

6 minutes ago, Top corner said:

How long has Maguire got to sit on the United bench before Southgate doesn't include him in his squads?Ā 

You think that's bad? Phillips has played one game for man city this season. One game. Just one.

In the England squad.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

You think that's bad? Phillips has played one game for man city this season. One game. Just one.

In the England squad.

I noticed he had a Premier League winners medal around his neck at the weekend as well....Crazy

What does makes me laugh is all the Nigerians on social media saying that we have "stolen their player" as we have called up Eberechi Eze.. Who was born in England, has only ever lived in England, who played for the England under 20's and who has an English accent..šŸ¤£

46 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Mings and MaguirešŸ˜‚

Has Maguire actually ever let england down? Asking for a friendĀ 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What does makes me laugh is all the Nigerians on social media saying that we have "stolen their player" as we have called up Eberechi Eze.. Who was born in England, has only ever lived in England, who played for the England under 20's and who has an English accent..šŸ¤£

Doesnā€™t mean he isnā€™t Nigerian - you claim to live in Cambridge yet masquerade as a norwich fan unfortunately ; - )Ā 

• Haha 2

I think as a rule if you're going to suggest a player shouldn't be in the squad you have to suggest who gets in instead.

Phillips obviously is questionable but I struggle to see an obvious replacement for him.

Ā 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

No. But Henderson and Phillips did. Lucky! šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Ā 

I wondered when you'd show up to post the first assist of his career šŸ˜‰

• Haha 1

who would people swap for Maguire, Phillips and Henderson in that squad ?

Ā 

How would we compare someone who's a squad player for Man City or Man Utd against someone who's a starter for Palace or Leicester or Soton etc?

Ā 

The reality in football is that you can lose your place as a starter to someone better and the top Prem clubs esp Man City can bring in players in any given position who are the very best in the world and can afford to have backups who are nearly as good, which may mean someone who's the best or one of the best English players in that position end up not starting for those clubs.

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

who would people swap for Maguire, Phillips and Henderson in that squad ?

Ā 

How would we compare someone who's a squad player for Man City or Man Utd against someone who's a starter for Palace or Leicester or Soton etc?

Ā 

The reality in football is that you can lose your place as a starter to someone better and the top Prem clubs esp Man City can bring in players in any given position who are the very best in the world and can afford to have backups who are nearly as good, which may mean someone who's the best or one of the best English players in that position end up not starting for those clubs.

Maguire I'd suggest Tomori is the obvious option but I don't watch much Serie A to be fair.

Skipp maybe for Phillips? Hard to argue he's in form though. Ward Prowse, although he's a different type of player.Ā 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Mings is a red card waiting to happen. I agree he's a talented player but he's also got a screw loose.Ā 

My issue with Mings and Maguire is that England hasn't got anyone better, which is a shame as the rest of the team is so strong at the moment. Tomori perhaps?Ā 

Someone was saying recently they watch a lot of Serie A, was it on the Milan derby thread ?Ā  Tomori gets mentioned a lot and you'd feel if he's playing regularly in defence in Serie A he must be worth a look.

Ā 

I agree on Mings, needs to get his head together and he could be a top player.

Thing about Maguire, you look back at the world cup finals and he was impressive for us in defence and also attacking at set pieces, I'd say he's hard to leave out of the squad.

Hardly a pair of frightening teams to face. No doubt England will win by four or five, some media elements will start hinting that "it's coming home" when in reality, there's probably more chance of Maddie McCann and Shamina Begum landing at Heathrow on the same plane.

2 hours ago, Top corner said:

Probably until he lets England down, which he hasn't so far.

Ā 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

In the England squad.

He has played 19, but let's not let the facts get in the way, eh?

Ā 

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Ā 

Ā 

That was from the game in which Newcastle dominated from start to finish, with Brighton offering no defensive resistance, and Gilmour got hooked before the hour, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Maguire I'd suggest Tomori is the obvious option but I don't watch much Serie A to be fair.

Ā 

21 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Someone was saying recently they watch a lot of Serie A, was it on the Milan derby thread ?Ā  Tomori gets mentioned a lot and you'd feel if he's playing regularly in defence in Serie A he must be worth a look.

That was me I believe; Tomori was without question one of the best defenders in Serie A last season but hasn't been quite at the same level this season. I still think I'd pick him over Guehi and Dunk, mind.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Ā 

Ā 

That was a great pass. Shame that they were otherwise mullered in that game because of a total lack of defensive cohesion, largely stemming from midfield. Sadly you can't carry a player in the CDM position, even if their passing is great, because the positional part of the game is so much more important. That might help to explain why he was substituted on 56 minutes, just 5 minutes after making that pass.

Fair enough if he was a number 10, but he is far from the complete midfielder and will remain one of the worst (from quite a selection) signings Norwich have made in recent times because of the huge hole it left in our squad that should have been filled with an actual CDM.Ā 

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Probably until he lets England down, which he hasn't so far.

Ā 

He has played 19, but let's not let the facts get in the way, eh?

Ā 

That was from the game in which Newcastle dominated from start to finish, with Brighton offering no defensive resistance, and Gilmour got hooked before the hour, wasn't it?

Ā 

That was me I believe; Tomori was without question one of the best defenders in Serie A last season but hasn't been quite at the same level this season. I still think I'd pick him over Guehi and Dunk, mind.Ā 

Thanks, some of these made me smile !Ā  Where is Serie A screened nowadays BTW ?Ā  I used to watch it on Channel 4 back in the 90s and really enjoyed it then, I found it an interesting mix of skill/technique but very cynical defending !

59 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks, some of these made me smile !Ā  Where is Serie A screened nowadays BTW ?Ā  I used to watch it on Channel 4 back in the 90s and really enjoyed it then, I found it an interesting mix of skill/technique but very cynical defending !

BT Sport. They show every Serie A game apart from the Saturday ones due to the blackout.

If you replace maguire with either Dan burn or Konsa it would have been perfect. I can see the clamour for tomori, but if you watched both the Milan derbies, 37 year old Edin Dzeko caused him so much trouble.

51 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

"Sarcasm refers to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say, especially in order to insult someone, or to show irritation, or just to be funny. For example, saying "they're really on top of things" to describe a group of people who are very disorganized is using sarcasm."

A flat No is not sarcasm. It's lazy. Sarcasm has a sting, a bite.Ā  You know, like what weee Billy needs.

43 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I'll inform Mr Wilde that he's doing witty wrong.

Anyway. Back to topic:

If you think you can outdo Sir Oscars 8 words with just one,Ā then your self belief has you fooled.Ā 

Back to topic , Billy looked decent tonight in that exhibition game.Ā 

8 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Has Maguire actually ever let england down? Asking for a friendĀ 

Oh, you mean apart from letting 35 year old Olivier Giroud score an almost free header against us in a World Cup Quarter Final?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Oh, you mean apart from letting 35 year old Olivier Giroud score an almost free header against us in a World Cup Quarter Final?

I think that was more John stones being out of positionĀ in-front and not inside the posts and Maguire having to cover, not his fault. And it wasn't a free header, it was just a blooming good header, should never have lost that game.