Yobocop

Jonson Clarke-Harris

If Peterborough don’t go up, we need to do everything we can to get Clarke-Harris at FCR 

I would not be adverse to Idah going the other way 

• Like 2

I made this exact point the other day. Before being told that a guy who scored 12 or 13 in a relegated team last time in the Championship - and has now hit nearly 30 this season - was a low league journeyman. Some real morons on here. Snap him up. But I bet we won’t be willing to pay enough for him even if we want him. 

• Like 1

Been singing from this hymn sheet for about 2 years only to be told that he's no better than what we have, he's getting on in years, we can't afford him, if he was that good he'd have left posh by now. 

Nevertheless, I still 150% agree. 

• Like 2

Not seen enough of him to say but Peterborough are generally good at getting very good money for their top players.

Just now, hogesar said:

Not seen enough of him to say but Peterborough are generally good at getting very good money for their top players.

They are yeah. And as good a club at scouting strikers as you’ll find at their level. 

Barry Fry and his scouts certainly do a decent job at finding strikers over the years and Fry won't sell anything unless he gets a good price.

So potentially forwards of Sargent, Barnes, Idah and Clarke-Harris. All very similar, not sure that works for me.

I have a horrible feeling that him and Taylor will end up at Ipswich.

4 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

Barry Fry will want around £10+ million for him. 

I'd rather have Barry Fry tbh.

2 minutes ago, unique said:

Not sure how a goal-scorer would fit into our squad……

Someone to compliment Idah next season and get 10 goals between them? 

29 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Surley you mean Craig Mackail-Smith?

Not unless I’ve got in a Time Machine and gone back 15 years 

10 minutes ago, unique said:

Not sure how a goal-scorer would fit into our squad……

Wash your mouth out with soap and water son will have none of that facetious negative bull on my thread 

Ok, first off... Clarke-Harris has been at Posh twice. Once deemed not good enough and sold to Oldham. He's then played for five clubs between 2014 and 2020 before rejoining Posh.

The last being Bristol Rovers where he hit something like 24 goals in 42 games.

Posh do have a good record with young strikers, this is not the player where that argument particularly comes true... otherwise Dion Dublin...

He is in form, and a decent age. In that peak zone. He'll be 29 in July. Still a good 2-3 seasons in him.

He is about a year older than the age of Pukki and Holt when they were signed. Was Hucks not around that age?

Also worth noting that for every one of those two we have had Cureton  (signed on the back of a red hot season too), Thorne etc.

Not to say he is one of those. Just more of a gamble than some are willing to admit. For the right price, why not? I suspect Posh will demand that Mackail-Smith fee of £3m, perhaps with add ons on promotion a la Toney. I'm not sure I'd gamble more than £1m-£1.5m.

And I'm not convinced we need to look at that area of the pitch. If Idah was to go on loan as part of the deal to bring the fee down, I'd take it. Idah on a permanent would be a tad nuts IMHO.

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

Ok, first off... Clarke-Harris has been at Posh twice. Once deemed not good enough and sold to Oldham. He's then played for five clubs between 2014 and 2020 before rejoining Posh.

The last being Bristol Rovers where he hit something like 24 goals in 42 games.

Posh do have a good record with young strikers, this is not the player where that argument particularly comes true... otherwise Dion Dublin...

He is in form, and a decent age. In that peak zone. He'll be 29 in July. Still a good 2-3 seasons in him.

He is about a year older than the age of Pukki and Holt when they were signed. Was Hucks not around that age?

Also worth noting that for every one of those two we have had Cureton  (signed on the back of a red hot season too), Thorne etc.

Not to say he is one of those. Just more of a gamble than some are willing to admit. For the right price, why not? I suspect Posh will demand that Mackail-Smith fee of £3m, perhaps with add ons on promotion a la Toney. I'm not sure I'd gamble more than £1m-£1.5m.

And I'm not convinced we need to look at that area of the pitch. If Idah was to go on loan as part of the deal to bring the fee down, I'd take it. Idah on a permanent would be a tad nuts IMHO.

1m-1.5m!? What year are you living in?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Not unless I’ve got in a Time Machine and gone back 15 years 

I think that's the joke 😜

As for your suggestion I'd love the lad here,  but think Posh will want too much for what we'd pay for a 29 year old.

Edited by Ken Hairy

I've often thought that Clarke-Harris might be a useful addition, and using Adam Idah as a makeweight in any deal had appeal.

Surely now that Ashley Barnes is on-board, any such immediate changes in personnel up front are truly scuppered. 

It has already been muted that 'Superash' could be a mentor to our young strikers, and it does seem fairly obvious that Idah is to be given yet another chance to make that long awaited breakthrough. We'll see, I have my doubts.

There has to be one more striking addition though, imo, and that player should surely be an Earnshaw/Defoe type poacher to complement and feed off these big/strong characters we have piled up.

Perhaps we have one in stock already, perhaps we look to the lower leagues, or perhaps we get a loanee from the Premier League? Maybe the powers that be see the midfielders and the likes of Nunez or Rowe or even Tzolis filling that role?  

I'd prefer another new face.

Edited by BroadstairsR

42 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I've often thought that Clarke-Harris might be a useful addition, and using Adam Idah as a makeweight in any deal had appeal.

Surely now that Ashley Barnes is on-board, any such immediate changes in personnel up front are truly scuppered. 

It has already been muted that 'Superash' could be a mentor to our young strikers, and it does seem fairly obvious that Idah is to be given yet another chance to make that long awaited breakthrough. We'll see, I have my doubts.

There has to be one more striking addition though, imo, and that player should surely be an Earnshaw/Defoe type poacher to complement and feed off these big/strong characters we have piled up.

Perhaps we have one in stock already, perhaps we look to the lower leagues, or perhaps we get a loanee from the Premier League? Maybe the powers that be see the midfielders and the likes of Nunez or Rowe or even Tzolis filling that role?  

I'd prefer another new face.

If we rely on Rowe or Tzolis as a striking option, we’re in trouble. Both will struggle to get 5 between them.

9 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

what’s happened to Flynn Clarke?

I think he did go out on loan but never played a game and so was recalled. Does not sound very promising….

7 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I think he did go out on loan but never played a game and so was recalled. Does not sound very promising….

Seemed to impress for Scotland u21s last year, I’ve found little info on him. Looked a very good prospect.

10 hours ago, S_81 said:

1m-1.5m!? What year are you living in?

The same year where people think we can afford more than that perhaps?

Great for you to pick out one snippet and ignore everything else including why I wouldn't spend more.

Comparisons to Pukki (free), Holt (£800k) are exactly my point. Not to mention Holt was signed for League One and just went from strengtg to strengtg. At a value we can afford to gamble on. We won't be able to afford to gamble significant funds on Clarke-Harris. No doubt Posh will ask that. 

Not really hard to understand. I wasn't saying he's worth that. Just what we could afford to gamble.

And again, I would not make Idah a permanent part of that move either. Quite frankly a rediculous suggestion.

And here's me thinking it's called crazy season for the bizarre rumours...

Edited by chicken

16 minutes ago, chicken said:

Great for you to pick out one snippet and ignore everything else including why I wouldn't spend more.

Comparisons to Pukki (free), Holt (£800k) are exactly my point. Not to mention Holt was signed for League One and just went from strengtg to strengtg. At a value we can afford to gamble on. We won't be able to afford to gamble significant funds on Clarke-Harris. No doubt Posh will ask that. 

Not really hard to understand. I wasn't saying he's worth that. Just what we could afford to gamble.

And again, I would not make Idah a permanent part of that move either. Quite frankly a rediculous suggestion.

How can you say that with conviction? Very opinionated, as per. 

Adam Idah is still young (ish), but as some point  Norwich have to decide if selling him with some potential remaining is a better option than keeping him and hoping he fulfills it. Personally I think that point is now. The 5yr contract offers security to both parties, but the jury is very much still out. 

7 hours ago, chicken said:

We will sell Rashica, perhaps Aarons, maybe others. We can almost certainly afford a transfer fee bigger than 1-1.5m. That’s for sure. 

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

We will sell Rashica, perhaps Aarons, maybe others. We can almost certainly afford a transfer fee bigger than 1-1.5m. That’s for sure. 

Right so now notch it up to the entire point I made. Could we afford to take a, lets say £3-5m gamble on Clarke-Harris?

He is not Pukki or Holt in that theirs fees were not bankbustinf... Pukki was free.

Would we be looking at gambling that heavy on a striker with Barnes joining Sargent and Idah whilst also being told the club will focus on our younger players?

I'm not saying I don't like the idea - but that can we afford to gamble with the fee Posh are likely to seek for him?