501Canary

David Wagner admits it will take more than one transfer wind

I think it is obvious that whatever it is that Wagner selling, the Team and the Supporters are not buying. The squad showed how demotivated they were with only one win in eleven. The Supporters are on the cusp of a complete rebellion and a poor start to the new season in the Championship will see that discontent escalate. I have absolutely no confidence that Webber and Wagner will be able to get a squad together that will be able to compete. This season was mid table mediocrity, I expect next season to be worse, much worse.

He may well be right but that said I didn't 'get' his continuing team selections in spite of losing Hanley, McLean and Gibson at the business end of the season. That didn't do us any favours.

OK, so that’s presumably his honest opinion!      In which case, surely the response to that statement must be WHY?

Of course, we all know he’s right but where is the accountability?    To be in this situation just two years on from that wonderful footballing team and all that money spent since shows a staggering level of incompetence.   How can staff employed to run the club fail so badly, demonstrate such poor judgement and yet be trusted to put things right?    

Have we changed the personnel and systems we trusted to scout the players and who clearly failed?   Have we confidence in our scouting systems (player judgement and this stats based information) and what is the evidence that the staff are now competent, sufficient to choose and then offer financial contracts to players.

How can Wagner put this right, what’s his plan for it, how does he arrest this slide from here?   What’s his intentions for a playing style and how will the players we keep / sign fit into that?    

Where’s the plan, the philosophy, the ambition, the intention, the aim, the transparency?     Where’s the honesty, and the effort to get the fans back on side?   

Without all of this in place, where’s the club going?    Certainly no point risking more money on any players.   

3 hours ago, king canary said:

That is absolutely damning for Webber though isn't it?

This is a squad that walked the division only two years ago and then had a record transfer budget spaffed on it and had a higher net spend this summer than anyone in the division and we're saying we need multiple transfer windows to make it competitive in the Championship?

Well it’s not is it? Because we didn’t have beundia or skipp and we now have many of our then top performers lacking in confidence 

complete rebuild required and as it stands we are in a position where that can happen 

17 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Secure our Championship status

As we did more than comfortably this season 

Jesus Christ we have some seriously wet people on here these days 😂

What we need to hear is how many players they are proposing to bring in. If it's 10 then yeah it's unlikely it can be done in one transfer window.

If it is 10 then how the hell have we got to this position?!

5 or 6 players then I am surprised and concerned that we can't achieve that this summer.

Reading between the lines I'm wondering if a few players have stated that they want out and it's thrown everything up in the air and ties in with the rumour I've heard that the players are happy with Wagner.

44 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Reading between the lines I'm wondering if a few players have stated that they want out and it's thrown everything up in the air and ties in with the rumour I've heard that the players are happy with Wagner.

If players really want out, let them leave. And when they’ve gone, get rid of Wagner anyway. 

Wheat, chaff, etc. 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

That is absolutely damning for Webber though isn't it?

This is a squad that walked the division only two years ago and then had a record transfer budget spaffed on it and had a higher net spend this summer than anyone in the division and we're saying we need multiple transfer windows to make it competitive in the Championship?

Can we please avoid using the word spaff? It just constantly reminds me of events and people I would really much, much rather forget. 🙏

• Haha 1

I’m not particularly enamoured by Wagner being appointed, but to say this article means he is absolving himself of a bad season next year is silly. Read the article, he says one window won’t necessarily mean we are world beaters straightaway, but does say that it will certainly create big improvements. I’m sure if we were playing a defined style that was looking like it was going somewhere positive we wont complain about being mid table or higher. Rebuilds don’t happen instantly and we all probably agree we want a rebuild. If by Christmas it’s not showing any discernible results in style etc then fine, but ffs if you think we have the resources to get the 10 positions we need to improve in one summer then you’re a moron

Edited by SwearyCanary

Good Job Kompany didn't need that many windows at Burnley 

Wagner talks as if style is such a special science 

how come his special style has not worked since Huddersfield ?

most teams press and pass and keep the ball these days and to be fair i would be happy with the style of around 75 % of the teams in the champs 

not many teams play long ball football these days 

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Good Job Kompany didn't need that many windows at Burnley 

Wagner talks as if style is such a special science 

how come his special style has not worked since Huddersfield ?

most teams press and pass and keep the ball these days and to be fair i would be happy with the style of around 75 % of the teams in the champs 

not many teams play long ball football these days 

Burnley spent £30 million this season with their income of £70 million in sales they had the cash to splash and done left over. We have spent more than we got in. We did our spending last year, badly. They had players to build a team around and we had players we hoped we could but who turned out to be less than adequate. Can’t compare us to Burnley I’m afraid 

57 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Burnley spent £30 million this season with their income of £70 million in sales they had the cash to splash and done left over. We have spent more than we got in. We did our spending last year, badly. They had players to build a team around and we had players we hoped we could but who turned out to be less than adequate. Can’t compare us to Burnley I’m afraid 

i think you can in ways 

Kompany totally changed the club and the football won the league at a canter in one season ,

if we sell who we want we will have money to spend ( not 30 million )

but as you say with our history of recruitment i dare say that will be spent badly 

i dare say if Kompany came here we would do better than we did this season just by managers ability alone

so why does Our Manager need 3/4 transfer windows 

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

Kompany totally changed the club and the football won the league at a canter in one season

I'm a fan of Wagner and want him to do well, but this is a valid point.  But they were one of the few teams who escaped injuries this season - but perhaps that's an area where we should be improving too as an overall plan?

I remember Arsenal having many seasons of injuries and fans were asking about their medical teams and training practises.  I put ours down to bad-luck, but we've also signed a few crooked players too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

I'm a fan of Wagner and want him to do well, but this is a valid point.  But they were one of the few teams who escaped injuries this season - but perhaps that's an area where we should be improving too as an overall plan?

I remember Arsenal having many seasons of injuries and fans were asking about their medical teams and training practises.  I put ours down to bad-luck, but we've also signed a few crooked players too.

yes you are right we did pick up quite a few near the end of season 

i have forgotten which club it was now but there was a club with loads of injuries

and i think it was something to do with training pitch ?? a few years ago 

i might have been arsenal after wegner left ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i think you can in ways 

Kompany totally changed the club and the football won the league at a canter in one season ,

if we sell who we want we will have money to spend ( not 30 million )

but as you say with our history of recruitment i dare say that will be spent badly 

i dare say if Kompany came here we would do better than we did this season just by managers ability alone

so why does Our Manager need 3/4 transfer windows 

He doesn’t need 3/4. He said one should be enough to change what we see on the pitch. His comment about needing more I feel is more alluding to building a more long term standard of squad. He doesn’t say we can’t be successful at this level after one window alone, I think Kompany and Burnley will absolutely use this window to try and stay up next season, so that’s  3 windows for them to be successful at a minimum, ie staying in the EPL, which I think we probably view as our end goal as a club. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

yes you are right we did pick up quite a few near the end of season 

i have forgotten which club it was now but there was a club with loads of injuries

and i think it was something to do with training pitch ?? a few years ago 

i might have been arsenal after wegner left ? 

It better not be the training pitches. That's Webbers trade (groundsman) isn't it😉🙃

• Haha 1

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

He doesn’t need 3/4. He said one should be enough to change what we see on the pitch. His comment about needing more I feel is more alluding to building a more long term standard of squad. He doesn’t say we can’t be successful at this level after one window alone, I think Kompany and Burnley will absolutely use this window to try and stay up next season, so that’s  3 windows for them to be successful at a minimum, ie staying in the EPL, which I think we probably view as our end goal as a club. 

yes i get your point about the long term 

i am not a Believer in Wagner so i guess i see it differently 

after the last 11 games i do not think he is the man especially after his recent job history 

• Like 1

Just now, Mengo said:

It better not be the training pitches. That's Webbers trade (groundsman) isn't it😉🙃

i thought he was Swimming pool Attendant 

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

yes i get your point about the long term 

i am not a Believer in Wagner so i guess i see it differently 

after the last 11 games i do not think he is the man especially after his recent job history 

I dont disagree at all. I do think that whoever else could come in would equally realistically need 3/4 windows to make us a survivable epl team. I would definitely expect to see big progress in one window, although not necessarily Burnley level progress. I don’t think their story is a common one and Kompany and his team have done an outstanding job of changing that sides style and making it successful so quickly. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

7 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would have thought it suggests he knows just how much needs to be done to get the squad to the necessary standard.

Christ on a bike what on earth does this say about Webber ?

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

I don’t think their story is a common one and Kompany and his team have done an outstanding job of changing that sides style and b my sling it successful so quickly. 

We've got Middlesboro with Carrick coming in too in less time, same season and transformed them.  So not so un-common. 😞

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

We've got Middlesboro with Carrick coming in too in less time, same season and transformed them.  So not so un-common. 😞

yes he did a great job there 

they have been in champs for a while 

they have a chance staying up i think next season if they keep Carrick 

2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Has it lessened your opinion of him? 

Not at all the bloke is stealing a living from the club.

4 hours ago, repman said:

Our transfer business will bear this out but I really don't believe that this is going to be a 'long term path of change' as you describe it. Webber and Wagner both know they have zero credit in the bank, so they'll be aware of the pressure if performances don't improve. I think it's far more likely they'll go for one big push over this summer, knowing if they fail they will be sacked and won't have to clean up the mess. Take the Barnes link for example, if we're looking long term why are we signing a 33 year old whose best years are behind him? 

Wagner saying it will take a number of windows is simply him trying to lower expectations, something we shouldn't accept.

On Barnes because the squad have the mental fortitude of a primary school first xi. Go a goal down and 11 heads drop. 

Id argue we need at least three 27-35yr old types. One up top, one central midfield and one in defence. Need experienced heads around the youth. 

Balance is all wrong both in terms of players positions but also their age and character

Edited by Canario

13 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i thought he was Swimming pool Attendant 

Wouldn't trust him with that job either.you need to respect responsibility.  It's something he struggles with , saying that he keeps saying blame me, call the shots.. I do the hiring it my fault . Don't blame Daniel, Dean . I'll take the hit. Come to think about it he's  a real two faced twàt

Never mind soon be pay day (easy 💰 money) 

Although Carrick has done a good job at Middlesbrough they got 75 points this season they got 70 last season and missed the playoffs. I would hardly call that a transformation.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I feel Kieran Scott has been building there before Carrick came in, this may have been s bit of a longer project in reality