Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Will we land the targets?

When promoted a huge problem is that we can’t land our targets due to restricted finances and have to watch the Ajers of this world go to Brentford - who stay up- whilst we take the also rans. We used to go better in champs due to being a bigger fish in a smaller pond. But with talk of no money in the kitty will we now struggle to attract at this level? 

48 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

When promoted a huge problem is that we can’t land our targets due to restricted finances and have to watch the Ajers of this world go to Brentford - who stay up- whilst we take the also rans. We used to go better in champs due to being a bigger fish in a smaller pond. But with talk of no money in the kitty will we now struggle to attract at this level? 

If today is Thursday and yesterday was Wednesday will tomorrow be Friday?

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

If today is Thursday and yesterday was Wednesday will tomorrow be Friday?

Today's Thursday? With all these bank holidays it's hard to keep up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do we have any targets to land?

Webber is probably playing fifa relentlessly looking for players who can run fast but cant pick a pass, control a ball or make anything happen. 

Hopefully we have a sizeable list of number 10s, DMs and a clinical finisher to go through. Wouldnt be surprised if we ended up with another 5 "wingers", a goalkeeper and some players with "potential". 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canario said:

Do we have any targets to land?

Webber is probably playing fifa relentlessly looking for players who can run fast but cant pick a pass, control a ball or make anything happen. 

Hopefully we have a sizeable list of number 10s, DMs and a clinical finisher to go through. Wouldnt be surprised if we ended up with another 5 "wingers", a goalkeeper and some players with "potential". 

Exactly my fear. May, June and July get linked with really exciting CB and CDM. Watch them sign for other clubs for a tenner more than we were willing to pay. Then sign obscure teenage wingers and an obvious crock on loan..

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Exactly my fear. May, June and July get linked with really exciting CB and CDM. Watch them sign for other clubs for a tenner more than we were willing to pay. Then sign obscure teenage wingers and an obvious crock on loan..

Or the big announcement being that Sam Byram has signed a 2 year extension and will be our center half with Gibson and Tomkinson being the back up this year 😭😭😭

Not confident given the Billings debacle last season and does he even know what would make a difference? 

Add Ajer etc… then landing Tzolis with a ridiculous claim that he’s the best young winger in Europe…talk about over promising and under delivering 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Add Ajer etc… then landing Tzolis with a ridiculous claim that he’s the best young winger in Europe…talk about over promising and under delivering 

I think Tzolis is useless but it wasn't just us claiming that, the footballing world in general thought he was one of the most exciting prospects in Europe.

As for Ajer, it wasn't that we couldn't meet demands, it's that we chose not to. Of course, in hindsight a poor decision although I note he's barely played for Brentford due to injury this season and we'd probably be hammering Stu for that right now.

Landing targets in the Championship is easier for us. We are one of the biggest spenders, paying the highest wages.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think Tzolis is useless but it wasn't just us claiming that, the footballing world in general thought he was one of the most exciting prospects in Europe.

wonder if anyone else bid for him ? i can not remember now ?

i do not personally think he was rated that highly if not one of the big boys would have snapped him up and sent him on loan for a few seasons 

More to the point, given some of our recent transfer windows, are our targets even the right ones?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

More to the point, given some of our recent transfer windows, are our targets even the right ones?

Do we know who they are?

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

As for Ajer, it wasn't that we couldn't meet demands, it's that we chose not to. Of course, in hindsight a poor decision although I note he's barely played for Brentford due to injury this season and we'd probably be hammering Stu for that right now.

Landing targets in the Championship is easier for us. We are one of the biggest spenders, paying the highest wages.

Very much doubt we will be in that category next season unless some suckers wave £20M in our direction for AO and similar (probably less) for Air Rons AND the Americans bankroll something which I doubt.

41 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Very much doubt we will be in that category next season unless some suckers wave £20M in our direction for AO and similar (probably less) for Air Rons AND the Americans bankroll something which I doubt.

We will be in the top 6 for spend on wages next season,  that much is sure.

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We will have quite a bit knocked off our weekly wage bill have to spend that wisely 

50 k from Pukki's wage should pay at least 2 champs players on there own if there is no fee involved 

We’ll land some, not others…as will everyone else.

Re: Tzolis I’m pretty sure that Liverpool - at least their supporter groups - were talking about keeping an eye on him for a future purchase. That boat has long sailed, at least for the short term!

I predict our business will be pretty swift and ruthless this summer. If it isn't I'd be a little concerned, they will know the fans will want a sense of urgency.

It can go both ways, anyway. We got burned missing out on targets the year prior, and I think that maybe played on the urgency of getting Hayden in last summer. It was well documented that he was a top Smith target, so I wonder if we took more of a chance on his knees that we normally would to get it over the line.

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

wonder if anyone else bid for him ? i can not remember now ?

i do not personally think he was rated that highly if not one of the big boys would have snapped him up and sent him on loan for a few seasons 

Exactly this.👍💯

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Did we target Hayden, Nunez, Sara and Ramsey? Or were they second/third choice?

You need to ask Stu on Monday Nutty. I would say Hayden and Ramsey   were a lot to do with Smith ( Remember him  Stu sacked him and now we are worse). 

Sara and Nunez ( big team effort from recruitment). Both have big potential.  👏 

19 hours ago, hogesar said:

Indeed and we have mortgaged the Parachute Receipts. Also no idea if we can find the targets or whether the targets will be able to find the target. The Employment Society will be fine though.

Our wage bill is a legacy though from contracts previously awarded. It will need to be trimmed down before we can attract 'targets'. It's already started of course but anybody who's any good will also be targeted by other clubs.

We'll need to convince players and agents we are the real deal and a huge part of that will be targeting players who want to buy into an ethos of being ultra fit, up for the fight and winning. Any lightweights and snowflakes need not apply.