Plymouth have achieved what they have with 1/10th of the resources of the binners, so of course they deserve it ahead of the scum.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Plymouth have achieved what they have with 1/10th of the resources of the binners, so of course they deserve it ahead of the scum.

Exactly. The Binners bought the league while Plymouth have just played well.

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Anyone have a figure for how much The Scum have spent buying their promotion ?

I think you'll  find its called having              ' hambition'. Its what many want for us.  Are we jealous? Im not.  This is the modern way.....just look at man city...aren't they just wonderful? Good luck to all who sail on the good ship          ' Hinvestment ' . 

We may set sail soon too, but it wont be enough. For some. Twas ever thus and always will be 

25 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Anyone have a figure for how much The Scum have spent buying their promotion 

I've enjoyed their extended run in the doldrums. No good thing lasts forever.

We all kinda think our own clubs are the best when they are winning, but even for them this seems a bit graceless - maybes there were things said and done at the awards that we don't know about???? Or then again .......

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Pretty well documented that they out-bid some Championship clubs on the wages they offered some of their current squad, on top of paying almost £1.5 million for a left-back....

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

According to transfermarket, they spent a total of £2:5m on 3 players,  plus they got 3 loans, 4 freebies, rest were already there

They're rolling in it bless 'em.

Apparently they have a benefactor who bungs 500k in the binner's bin every time someone bigs them up on here. It's a veritable money pit...

IMG_20230427_142322.jpg.7f9005b798fc760e7fc93e77b2fa0319.jpg

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Pretty well documented that they out-bid some Championship clubs on the wages they offered some of their current squad, on top of paying almost £1.5 million for a left-back....

I bumped into somebody in Halfords this morning who said that the Scum have bought their way into the Championship next season but then in next breath said he could only name a couple of players. Couldn't name any others which doesn't really stack up with the assertion that they spent so much money on assembling the squad.

Rather than the broadbrush approach hoggy you could point out where it is ' well documented ' ?

For the avoidance of doubt i absolutely hate The Scum but fair do's to them this season both on and off the field and they must be laughing their socks off at the ridiculous state we are in currently.

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

I've enjoyed their extended run in the doldrums. No good thing lasts forever.

Indeed ricardo but just a shame we are where we are right now as they head our way.

2 hours ago, Diane said:

According to transfermarket, they spent a total of £2:5m on 3 players,  plus they got 3 loans, 4 freebies, rest were already there

Thanks @Diane for putting some meat on the bones.

Unfortunately, their benefactors will want to see a return on the money lent, at some point. There isn't a lot of money to be earnt in the Championship, and they don't appear to have anyone of the ability of Buendia to earn a hefty fee from. There is then only the PL where the money is. How much can be paid back, without handicapping the squad ? We have struggled when having a policy of breaking even. How on earth is a club expecting to spent even less, so as to repay those loans ?

1 minute ago, PockthorpePete said:

Unfortunately, their benefactors will want to see a return on the money lent, at some point. There isn't a lot of money to be earnt in the Championship, and they don't appear to have anyone of the ability of Buendia to earn a hefty fee from. There is then only the PL where the money is. How much can be paid back, without handicapping the squad ? We have struggled when having a policy of breaking even. How on earth is a club expecting to spent even less, so as to repay those loans ?

Such a depressing read makes you wonder why MA is coming on board unless of course he is throwing money at us and not expecting a return. The Scum may well not have a Buendia to earn a hefty fee from but have you taken a look at our current squad ?

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Indeed ricardo but just a shame we are where we are right now as they head our way.

It is a measure of the yawning gap between the two clubs, where a failure to gain promotion by us is seen as an absolute disaster, whereas getting out of the third tier (after 4 seasons) is seen as a huge success. I remember how our promotion from the 3rd tier was seen in Suffolk. We did actually do it as champions, by about 20 points as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

It is a measure of the yawning gap between the two clubs, where a failure to gain promotion by us is seen as an absolute disaster, whereas getting out of the third tier (after 4 seasons) is seen as a huge success. I remember how our promotion from the 3rd tier was seen in Suffolk. We did actually do it as champions, by about 20 points as well.

Good context.

2 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

You will see how much of a disaster not getting promoted this season is when the position regarding our finances is revealed in due course and by the way we won League One by 9 points nowhere near 20.

The Plymouth boss deserves it more. He’s got Plymouth going right from the start of the season. A while back I remember someone posting a link to a thread on the Ipswich forums on here with fans moaning about how they’d spent more money than anyone else and they weren’t doing great

Edited by HazzaJet

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Such a depressing read makes you wonder why MA is coming on board unless of course he is throwing money at us and not expecting a return. The Scum may well not have a Buendia to earn a hefty fee from but have you taken a look at our current squad ?

What an odd reply. A squad without a number of senior players out injured yet is only a few points off the playoffs. You may think City are entitled to a PL place and so failing to achieve that straight away is a failure. Whereas a club who has been nowhere near the PL for 20 years, and even been outside the Championship for 4 years is a club to be 'envied' ?

1 minute ago, PockthorpePete said:

What an odd reply. A squad without a number of senior players out injured yet is only a few points off the playoffs. You may think City are entitled to a PL place and so failing to achieve that straight away is a failure. Whereas a club who has been nowhere near the PL for 20 years, and even been outside the Championship for 4 years is a club to be 'envied' ?

Tell me where i have used the word ' envied ' as you have quoted it in inverted commas ? Where also have i claimed that we are entitled to a PL place ?.

What your reply has to do with my response about the mention of Buendia is also beyond me.

28 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I bumped into somebody in Halfords this morning who said that the Scum have bought their way into the Championship next season but then in next breath said he could only name a couple of players. Couldn't name any others which doesn't really stack up with the assertion that they spent so much money on assembling the squad.

Rather than the broadbrush approach hoggy you could point out where it is ' well documented ' ?

For the avoidance of doubt i absolutely hate The Scum but fair do's to them this season both on and off the field and they must be laughing their socks off at the ridiculous state we are in currently.

I didn't think you'd be interested in all the nitty-bittys!

We won't have the wages for this latest year but they've increased year on year and it'll turn out their wage-budget will probably be competitive with their championship wages in years gone by, this shows their wages up to 2022:

The cost of their League One squad is the highest for a decade, and on top of that, Since 30 June 2022 they've spent a further £6 million on players.

Their 21/22 accounts show Day to day losses of £12.8 million

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I didn't think you'd be interested in all the nitty-bittys!

We won't have the wages for this latest year but they've increased year on year and it'll turn out their wage-budget will probably be competitive with their championship wages in years gone by, this shows their wages up to 2022:

The cost of their League One squad is the highest for a decade, and on top of that, Since 30 June 2022 they've spent a further £6 million on players.

Their 21/22 accounts show Day to day losses of £12.8 million

Thanks for some clarity to your broadbrush initial statement but no figures for this current 2022/23 squad then ?

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

"Could only name a couple players"

To be fair I would struggle to name any players they have had for the past couple decades

3 hours ago, Diane said:

Also there are salaries of course - those loans and freebies are not free.

18 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Thanks for some clarity to your broadbrush initial statement but no figures for this current 2022/23 squad then ?

Only that they've spent a further £6 million on players. We will see their wages as likely the highest in the division comfortably when released. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Tell me where i have used the word ' envied ' as you have quoted it in inverted commas ? Where also have i claimed that we are entitled to a PL place ?.

What your reply has to do with my response about the mention of Buendia is also beyond me.

The words I used were - 'you may think'. Which suggests there is a possibility, not any stated claim. Do try to understand English. Similarly I did not use quotation marks (") for the word envied. So no quote.