Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

If Aarons and Rashica go I'll be a little disappointed if we don't see any new faces at all. That being said, they have to be an improvement. Signings for the sake of it isn't helping anyone.

28 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Will Wagner get any £ to spend ??

No. But it'll free up some wages for a loan is my guess. 

Any money will be held back for January 

35 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I saw a report over the weekend that said that he's willing to turn down half million that we owe him in fee's for the deal to go through.

Not sure what that means though, would that be us selling him would end his contract early and thus we have to pay that amount, so it's normally factored into what the buying club pay perhaps?

Or perhaps it's a fee that Gala were paying him to sign(?).

Edit: Found it

If a player doesn't formally request a transfer (usually in writing) he is legally entitled to have his contract paid up in full. That's why players don't make written transfer requests anymore. 

It would be unusual for a contract to be paid up in full but it is a useful negotiating tactic for the agent 

14 minutes ago, splutcho said:

If Aarons and Rashica go I'll be a little disappointed if we don't see any new faces at all. That being said, they have to be an improvement. Signings for the sake of it isn't helping anyone.

If we mange to get £10 million for the pair, and cleverly reinvest in 3 players - this squad will look strong. 

15 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If we mange to get £10 million for the pair, and cleverly reinvest in 3 players - this squad will look strong. 

We won't even get 1.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If a player doesn't formally request a transfer (usually in writing) he is legally entitled to have his contract paid up in full. That's why players don't make written transfer requests anymore. 

I wondered if it was something like that, and something I've never really considered before.  i.e. in the case of Mumba leaving for around a mil there wouldn't have been much of a fee that'd need paying to him.

There's a lot to consider really when you weigh the system up in full.  It's obvious when you think about it, but not so obvious when looking at how much a player has sold for.  Especially when you get to prem league wages.

Wonder if this means that Rashica will put a formal request in to make it easier in regards to legalities then, providing Gala bid will be accepted.  I don't blame the club if they didn't want to take a low ball offer AND pay his contract off. 

600k doesn't seem right though, that'd put him at around 6k/week as his contract is till 2025.

Needs rectifying this week really if true, as I can see this become messy.

Edited by Google Bot

52 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It would be unusual for a contract to be paid up in full but it is a useful negotiating tactic for the agent 

also they have a Loyalty fee that is paid during contract f they do not ask for a transfer that should be paid 

i imagine 500k sounds more like loyalty than wages unless it is a short fall payment ? 

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I wondered if it was something like that, and something I've never really considered before.  i.e. in the case of Mumba leaving for around a mil there wouldn't have been much of a fee that'd need paying to him.

There's a lot to consider really when you weigh the system up in full.  It's obvious when you think about it, but not so obvious when looking at how much a player has sold for.  Especially when you get to prem league wages.

Wonder if this means that Rashica will put a formal request in to make it easier in regards to legalities then, providing Gala bid will be accepted.  I don't blame the club if they didn't want to take a low ball offer AND pay his contract off. 

600k doesn't seem right though, that'd put him at around 6k/week as his contract is till 2025.

Needs rectifying this week really if true, as I can see this become messy.

Signing on fees might be paid over term of contract so that also might be 500k left to pay 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

From a legal point of view maybe, but in the world of football, that never happens. Occasionally a selling club may pay a player a small sum if they're going to a club on a less lucrative contract, but I doubt you'll be able to find any examples of a club paying off the entirety of a player's contract when being sold to a club. 

18 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

also they have a Loyalty fee that is paid during contract f they do not ask for a transfer that should be paid 

i imagine 500k sounds more like loyalty than wages unless it is a short fall payment ? 

This is more commonplace, however. Most players have loyalty bonuses in their contracts which will be owed to them if they move without handing in a formal transfer request. If this £500k fee that Rashica is willing to give up is indeed true, it's likely that he's forgoing his loyalty bonus.

17 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If Rashica and Aarons leave, both will be replaced IMO. Quickly too, I predict. Replacements probably lined up and deals in principle may even be in place.

Nope.

10 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If Rashica and Aarons leave, both will be replaced IMO. Quickly too, I predict. Replacements probably lined up and deals in principle may even be in place.

Rashica & Aarons replacements are already in the squad (Stacey & Fisher for Aarons) plus (Fass/ Rowe & Springett for Rashica) The only player they will replace if sold would be Omobamidele in my opinion.

Certainly wouldn’t expect direct replacements. It’s clear that we look a little light at CB and CM even before any move for Andy O. Could see us using some £ to do deals or loans in these areas. Not sure how long term the Sorenson injury is ?

I think its certain that Max and Milot will be out the door.  They havent even bothered to update their photos on the main squad page, those 2 are the only 2 in last seasons shirt still.

Looking at the squad, i dont think there is as much of a pressing need to upgrade as some.  Here are my thoughts.

GK we are fine.

CB if all were fit and staying you wouldnt think we would need any more with Duffy, Omo, Gibson, Hanley and Tomkinson.  If Omo goes, then i think we should look to upgrade on Gibson and loan out Tomkinson.

RB - Stacey looks the real deal and Fisher sounds like he has backing from the management to fill in when needed.

LB - Giannoulis sounds like hes fighting for his place.  Maybe sell Mcallum and replace him if they dont like him going forward, but i think hes capable understudy if there isnt interest in buying him for a decent price.

CM- Kenny, Sara, Gibbs, Sorensen, Nunez seems decent, but could maybe use a more consistent creative player if they dont see Nunez being the right fit in a 4-4-2 variation.

Wingers - Rowe, Sainz, Fassnacht, Onel, Springett. Placheta - If Sainz is the real deal, we have some decent options and depth for the championship with the emergence of Rowe complimenting our 2 new signings and Onel still seems fancied to a degree.  I think Onel will fade to a bench only option quite quickly once the new guys are up and running.  

Strikers - Probably where we could add 1 quality addition in my opinion - Sarge, Barnes and Idah are a handful, especially if Idah's confidence is up after his goal and can kick on, though there are obviously question marks.

If we plan to play a variation on 4-4-2, then a 4th pacy striker would be a good idea, but then they may see our wide options and Fassnachts output and think playing him as a withdrawn forward off the main striker as an option.  He looks strong, technical and has an eye for both a pass and a goal.  This would leave Rowe on the right and Borja left with Onel and Tony as bench options.

In Summary, if its just Milot and Max that leave, I think we should push the boat out for someone central as a real upgrade.  Either someone deeper to free  up Sara to play further forward, or a verstatile, strong forward who can play off the striker in an AM position.

Then replace like for like anyone else that may be sold.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

From a legal point of view maybe, but in the world of football, that never happens. Occasionally a selling club may pay a player a small sum if they're going to a club on a less lucrative contract, but I doubt you'll be able to find any examples of a club paying off the entirety of a player's contract when being sold to a club. 

This is more commonplace, however. Most players have loyalty bonuses in their contracts which will be owed to them if they move without handing in a formal transfer request. If this £500k fee that Rashica is willing to give up is indeed true, it's likely that he's forgoing his loyalty bonus.

I'm afraid it happens on a regular basis or at least is used as part of the overall transaction. There is a very good reason why players rarely submit transfer requests. 

12 minutes ago, BSEYELLOW said:

I think its certain that Max and Milot will be out the door.  They havent even bothered to update their photos on the main squad page, those 2 are the only 2 in last seasons shirt still.

Looking at the squad, i dont think there is as much of a pressing need to upgrade as some.  Here are my thoughts.

GK we are fine.

CB if all were fit and staying you wouldnt think we would need any more with Duffy, Omo, Gibson, Hanley and Tomkinson.  If Omo goes, then i think we should look to upgrade on Gibson and loan out Tomkinson.

RB - Stacey looks the real deal and Fisher sounds like he has backing from the management to fill in when needed.

LB - Giannoulis sounds like hes fighting for his place.  Maybe sell Mcallum and replace him if they dont like him going forward, but i think hes capable understudy if there isnt interest in buying him for a decent price.

CM- Kenny, Sara, Gibbs, Sorensen, Nunez seems decent, but could maybe use a more consistent creative player if they dont see Nunez being the right fit in a 4-4-2 variation.

Wingers - Rowe, Sainz, Fassnacht, Onel, Springett. Placheta - If Sainz is the real deal, we have some decent options and depth for the championship with the emergence of Rowe complimenting our 2 new signings and Onel still seems fancied to a degree.  I think Onel will fade to a bench only option quite quickly once the new guys are up and running.  

Strikers - Probably where we could add 1 quality addition in my opinion - Sarge, Barnes and Idah are a handful, especially if Idah's confidence is up after his goal and can kick on, though there are obviously question marks.

If we plan to play a variation on 4-4-2, then a 4th pacy striker would be a good idea, but then they may see our wide options and Fassnachts output and think playing him as a withdrawn forward off the main striker as an option.  He looks strong, technical and has an eye for both a pass and a goal.  This would leave Rowe on the right and Borja left with Onel and Tony as bench options.

In Summary, if its just Milot and Max that leave, I think we should push the boat out for someone central as a real upgrade.  Either someone deeper to free  up Sara to play further forward, or a verstatile, strong forward who can play off the striker in an AM position.

Well a fair assessment of the squad, we'll see further additions in my view. Im going for 3 new additions, potentially some loans to add depth and quality & one maybe permanent deal. An injury to the likes of Sara would break our season in my opinion, so we could do with another quality midfielder. Im not sure whether Nunez will ever be that player.

Edited by jaberry2

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid it happens on a regular basis or at least is used as part of the overall transaction. There is a very good reason why players rarely submit transfer requests. 

Genuine question, could you provide an example? I've never known it to happen. This isn't me being awkward by the way, I'm genuinely curious.

Players rarely submit transfer requests for that reason, like you said, and only ever really happens when a club is playing hardball, such as in this instance. 

But like I said, I've never known a club to pay a player the entirety of his contract when being sold to another club.

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Well a fair assessment of the squad, we'll see further additions in my view. Im going for 3 new additions, potentially some loans to add depth and quality & one maybe permanent deal. An injury to the likes of Sara would break our season in my opinion, so we could do with another quality midfielder. Im not sure whether Nunez will ever be that player.

I like the look of Nunez and feel like he could be important in the right formation.  But i dont see him in a midfield 2 with any of our current CMs.  If we had a dedicated destroyer who was able to cover the back 4 by himself, leaving Nunez to play further forward, maybe, but i dont think that would suit how we play.  We need 2 rounded players in the double pivot.  He could certainly work playing off Sargent, Barnes or Idah, but i dont think that would fit our strongest 11 right now.

I like the look of Gibbs and think he can fill the role of Kenny or Sara with his energy.  I also think he has a decent all round game with both defensive and attacking qualities and looks the dedicated type that will be really pushing to improve.  His new contract indicates he is rated, if he kicks on as much as they think, he could well displace Kenny this season.  Not an easy job, but he has youth on his side and the press we are playing is going to take a lot of stamina.  Kenny isnt old, but hes the wrong side of 30 now so we do need a succession plan.  If Sara and Kenny were to be out for an extended period though, i think we would struggle.  So another quality body would certainly be welcome.

I think in most areas, upgrades on what we have would be out of reach financially, unless a loan comes in like Skipp did previously and is a clear upgrade.  Younger players with potential im sure we will see a couple with potential that they hope will be able to develop into the first team this season.

• Like 2

Some good assessments of the squad here. I'll just post an update on my table comparing the squad composition to the EFL named squad rules.

image.thumb.png.cb71f8174b4f43025b98a93d0df994c0.png

If Aarons and Rashica are moved on, then in theory there are 7 places for experienced players available for the named squad. Plenty of scope therefore if the budget is available to provide that additional CM / Forward / full back cover.

We are "lucky" this season, with 9 of our first team squad with squad numbers 21 or under at the beginning of the year. This means with 9 subs allowed for only 5 substitutions there should be no problem meeting the 8 homegrown players in the named matchday squad. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Genuine question, could you provide an example? I've never known it to happen. This isn't me being awkward by the way, I'm genuinely curious.

Players rarely submit transfer requests for that reason, like you said, and only ever really happens when a club is playing hardball, such as in this instance. 

But like I said, I've never known a club to pay a player the entirety of his contract when being sold to another club.

Hiya. I've on occasion seen national reports of players waiving their rights under a contract to secure a move. But specifically related to Norwich there was a discussion at a shaholders meeting several years ago when Chase revealed that 2 Norwich players had been compensated for loss of earnings arising from a transfer. 

It should be noted that players enter into a contract of employment and if the employer decides the player should be sold the player is legally entitled to compensation. If the player asks for the contract to be terminated no such right exists. Like you I doubt that many have asked for their contract to be paid up in full but they will always ask for loyalty bonuses they would have received if they hadn't been sold. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hiya. I've on occasion seen national reports of players waiving their rights under a contract to secure a move. But specifically related to Norwich there was a discussion at a shaholders meeting several years ago when Chase revealed that 2 Norwich players had been compensated for loss of earnings arising from a transfer. 

It should be noted that players enter into a contract of employment and if the employer decides the player should be sold the player is legally entitled to compensation. If the player asks for the contract to be terminated no such right exists. Like you I doubt that many have asked for their contract to be paid up in full but they will always ask for loyalty bonuses they would have received if they hadn't been sold. 

I may be wrong, but i do not believe that on transfer a player gets all the money left on their contract, thats crazy.  What i think people are probably getting mixed up with is if they are sold and cannot secure a contract at the same wage level, the selling club may agree to pay the difference in weekly wage for the remaining contract period.  Say a player has 2 years left at 15k per week, they are sold and their new team will only pay them 10k per week, we would pay them the 5k per week difference for the 2 remaining years, which would total 520k. We would not be paying them 1.56 million and then them picking up 10k a week moving forwards.

Releasing someone on a free before their contract is up is a different matter and yes, if that player does not have a contract lined up and didnt want to leave, their full contract would have to be paid.  Usually a deal will be made which is what is meant by contract terminated by mutual consent.  They may agree to pay up 1 year of the remaining 2 years or something similar.

Edited by BSEYELLOW
  • Like 2

wonder if we will bring in a loan player they can go either way

and despite what people think it does cost a fair chunk of funds

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

OK, so that's pretty much in line with what I saying. 

Regarding the first point, that occasionally happens when players are sold to clubs who subsequently offer a less lucrative contract, but the selling club wouldn't pay up the whole value of the contract, just the difference.

On the second, that is again commonplace, but that's a loyalty bonus rather than the full contract. Rashica would be entitled to one (assuming he has it in his contract, which is likely), but may choose to waive it in order to facilitate the move ti Galatasaray.

56 minutes ago, Paul101 said:

wonder if we will bring in a loan player they can go either way

and despite what people think it does cost a fair chunk of funds

It would be the first season for a long while that we didn't dip into the loan market if we don't.

I still think we look light in central midfield, even moreso if Sorensen is out for any length of time.

6 hours ago, BSEYELLOW said:

GK we are fine.

I think at some point in his Career Rowe might be moved forward looks the type has pace and he can finish by be the look of things 

56 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It would be the first season for a long while that we didn't dip into the loan market if we don't.

I still think we look light in central midfield, even moreso if Sorensen is out for any length of time.

to be fair Sorensen is not upto the task so even with him fit we do need a couple of bodies

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Top corner said:

Rashica & Aarons replacements are already in the squad (Stacey & Fisher for Aarons) plus (Fass/ Rowe & Springett for Rashica) The only player they will replace if sold would be Omobamidele in my opinion.

Yeah, I didn’t mean like for like replacements. I think we’ll add another creative player at least. 

On 30/07/2023 at 17:25, daisy said:

Aarons is off to Leeds.

Getting closer!