Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

10 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Careful he’ll accuse you of being condescending 

I’m with you by the way, madness to think people wouldn’t consider someone who galatassary fancied last season 

if he likes how Wagner operates and we can keep him could be a masterstroke 

I don’t see anything in what Rashica has done at NCFC that suggests he’s particularly worth it. He was bang-average with us two seasons ago, completely disinterested and crap last season and we were well shot of him when he went on loan.  It sounds like he played well for Gala - great, that’s about the same level as SPL without Celtic.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It typically requires you to be condescending for me to accuse you of being condescending. You clearly don't know what it means.

Anyway, further flesh to the Mumba bone - talk of an £800k move. He is in the last year of his deal but we have an option to extend the contract. But I would expect at least £2m - maybe £3m. 

The only reason Mumba should be allowed to leave imo is if Aarons stayed. And that would be on loan. 

if we were signing the young player of the year for league one i would be quite excited so why we are selling him at only 21 ?

if Aarons is going then seems a strange decision to me ,

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t see anything in what Rashica has done at NCFC that suggests he’s particularly worth it. He was bang-average with us two seasons ago, completely disinterested and crap last season and we were well shot of him when he went on loan.  It sounds like he played well for Gala - great, that’s about the same level as SPL without the good sides. 

Haven’t seen him in an extended period in the championship - however I’m not sure we ever will 

Maybe mumba hasn't settled here or can't see himself playing enough games under wagner.   Would seem a huge waste to let him go given our attacking needs

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t see anything in what Rashica has done at NCFC that suggests he’s particularly worth it. He was bang-average with us two seasons ago, completely disinterested and crap last season and we were well shot of him when he went on loan.  It sounds like he played well for Gala - great, that’s about the same level as SPL without the good sides. 

i think the longer this goes on the worse it gets with Rashica ,

if he stays and i hope he does not i think he could really down what tools he has ,

Never seemed to really want to be here when he found out how hard the PL was ,

then when we went down could not get away quick enough ,

unless i am wrong i would just accept the 7 million and move on .

• Like 1

Just now, ZLF said:

Maybe mumba hasn't settled here or can't see himself playing enough games under wagner.   Would seem a huge waste to let him go given our attacking needs

It’s odd that no one seems to think we should keep Mumba as a defender, which is his primary position, and are basing us keeping him on what he did last season at a lower level.  

7 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Probably does not like being forced to play in a position he does not feel comftable in

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I think one issue we have is that our squad is too big, whilst also not quite having what we need.  At Barnet, we played two entirely different XIs and that was with 12 proper first teamers missing.  Yes, it included some youngsters, but it shows we need to have some players to leave possibly before we get any in.  Since then, Kamara and Mair have headed out on loan, but we do need to lose a few. The most obvious had been Max and Rashica, but the longer it goes on the more likely it is they will stay - though it does still feel unlikely.

17 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

With you on Platcheta so why bother including him in a squad.  We’ve done nothing to improve him so he’s not worth anything.    Tzolis has certainly got more talent than PP.

Absolutely understand the finances with Tzolis but it’s in our interests to give him opportunity in the best team so he’s got a chance of being productive and / or has a value in the market.    If he’s not going to get that (some may argue he’s had it but he hasn’t) or if he’s not considered good enough then there won’t be a return.    In which case do a deal with some club to cut our losses.  Let another player have a go…. He’s been around the squad long enough.   

Otherwise this is a very young lad far from home who must feel pretty unwanted and frustrated.      It was the clubs fault they spent that money on him, not his.    Yes, he’s made some money but looks like all that potential he apparently had has been untapped.     Whose fault is that.    The clubs, the coaches and the managers.   

seems to me no harm in giving him a run since you look at our best XI right now and it’s very uninspiring!    

Given that we went to Poland to sign Denis Mann and came back with Placheta....

17 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

With you on Platcheta so why bother including him in a squad.  We’ve done nothing to improve him so he’s not worth anything.    Tzolis has certainly got more talent than PP.

Absolutely understand the finances with Tzolis but it’s in our interests to give him opportunity in the best team so he’s got a chance of being productive and / or has a value in the market.    If he’s not going to get that (some may argue he’s had it but he hasn’t) or if he’s not considered good enough then there won’t be a return.    In which case do a deal with some club to cut our losses.  Let another player have a go…. He’s been around the squad long enough.   

Otherwise this is a very young lad far from home who must feel pretty unwanted and frustrated.      It was the clubs fault they spent that money on him, not his.    Yes, he’s made some money but looks like all that potential he apparently had has been untapped.     Whose fault is that.    The clubs, the coaches and the managers.   

seems to me no harm in giving him a run since you look at our best XI right now and it’s very uninspiring!    

Pretty sure there was behind the scenes leak news a while back that we only signed Placheta based on various physical tests and stats we had gained on him as apprently he stats wise was the fittest and most athletic player we had scouted..

Of course as we then found out "being very fit and athletic" might indeed be a good thing but in the end it does not mean much if you're just not a very good footballer

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think one issue we have is that our squad is too big, whilst also not quite having what we need.  At Barnet, we played two entirely different XIs and that was with 12 proper first teamers missing.  Yes, it included some youngsters, but it shows we need to have some players to leave possibly before we get any in.  Since then, Kamara and Mair have headed out on loan, but we do need to lose a few. The most obvious had been Max and Rashica, but the longer it goes on the more likely it is they will stay - though it does still feel unlikely.

i think you are right we seem overloaded with the signings we have made already ,

I think if the big bid for Andy O  had come in , Aarons had Left and Gala had paid for Rashica we would have seen so signings we needed ,

Bit of a Stalemate going on a bloated squad no outgoings , ( yet ) 

Can not just keep adding players without offloading some within a Budget ,

I would expect Max to be gone in the next working week, which might aid some movement in incomings. Even if we dont need to sell to buy.. which Im not sure how much I believe in all honesty. We will more than likely try and get 2 loan signings late in the window to help push the team along and 1 or ideally 2 perms in through the door (in an ideal world).

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s odd that no one seems to think we should keep Mumba as a defender, which is his primary position, and are basing us keeping him on what he did last season at a lower level.  

A lower level, yes, but Young Player of the Season at that level, plus Plymouth player of the season. We are not just talking about someone who went there and got a couple of goals and a few assists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pretty sure there was behind the scenes leak news a while back that we only signed Placheta based on various physical tests and stats we had gained on him as apprently he stats wise was the fittest and most athletic player we had scouted..

Of course as we then found out "being very fit and athletic" might indeed be a good thing but in the end it does not mean much if you're just not a very good footballer

My Nephew was one of the best scout rated players colin watts had ever seen ,

he had higher scout rating than Craig Bellamy and others Colin had scouted in the past ,

was given 2 years at City ( normally 1 year ) in Todd Cantwell's year didn't have the right desire and attitude ,

not extended after 2 years so i offered to pay his digs as he drove around the lower leagues having trials he never bothered ! 

Now playing in Thurlow Nunn , 

Just goes to show what ratings and how hard it is to scout young players 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

A lower level, yes, but Young Player of the Season at that level, plus Plymouth player of the season. We are not just talking about someone who went there and got a couple of goals and a few assists.

The key things are it being a lower level and ‘young’ player of the season: the whole point is that in our squad he’s now up against older/established players.

I’m not ‘wanting’ him to leave, but consider if Max doesn’t end up going (though we all think he still will), and we have him and Stacey here; on the left we have Sam and Dimi.  Where would Mumba go?  We’re not going to change our system for one youngster. There’s always many considerations to make.

Edited by Branston Pickle

7 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Sounds like Mumba maybe off on a perm to Plymouth as well.

Surprising. Obviously they feel he's not developing as fast as they'd like. Shame, because he always looked lively to me, and he's a pretty versatile player too. Assuming Max is off too, presumably that would mean another RB must be on the cards...

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Surprising. Obviously they feel he's not developing as fast as they'd like. Shame, because he always looked lively to me, and he's a pretty versatile player too. Assuming Max is off too, presumably that would mean another RB must be on the cards...

Yes i'd say there is a player lined up already subject to his move. Plymouth forums seems to think its a done deal and will be concluded swiftly.

19 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Or, and hear me out...it's possible Tzolis just isn't very good.

12 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Sounds like Mumba maybe off on a perm to Plymouth as well.

This is perhaps the best example yet, if true, of the madness of Webber and Wagner. A clearly talented player, who performed beyond all expectation last year, and who will be sold at a time that we are weak in every position that he could fill. I absolutely despair at the state of our club right now. Any other manager / director of football would be factoring Mumba into their plans. But not the morons at our club. As soon as Webber has left and Wagner is sacked by Christmas it will be even more regrettable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Swear to god if Wagner has decided that Mumba is not a good enough fullback so we go and give him to back to Plymouth I'm at last going to lose all hope with Wager

He's a winger. Sadly Wagner does not understand this.

Yeah, you Cambridge, who hasn't attended a live game of football in his life, knows Mumba's position better than Wagner.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

This is perhaps the best example yet, if true, of the madness of Webber and Wagner. A clearly talented player, who performed beyond all expectation last year, and who will be sold at a time that we are weak in every position that he could fill. I absolutely despair at the state of our club right now. Any other manager / director of football would be factoring Mumba into their plans. But not the morons at our club. As soon as Webber has left and Wagner is sacked by Christmas it will be even more regrettable. 

Webber was the "idiot" who signed him in the first place though? Awkward gymnastics..

If, and it is an if, Mumba is sold then it is a good example of our model at a lower level. What did we get him for? Quarter-of-a-million?

If we flog him for seven figures, financially we'll have played a blinder.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Webber was the "idiot" who signed him in the first place though? Awkward gymnastics..

Not awkward at all - if he can’t see the talent in the lad and that we are weak down that left hand side and now is his time to be in the mix - then despite your weird defence of him, Webber is a muppet 

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

If, and it is an if, Mumba is sold then it is a good example of our model at a lower level. What did we get him for? Quarter-of-a-million?

If we flog him for seven figures, financially we'll have played a blinder.

We’d get even more for him if we actually played him and he did a job for us. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Absolute pisstake if he's being sold. Honestly angry about this one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

We’d get even more for him if we actually played him and he did a job for us. 

True, but he's also coming off a period where he was Plymouth's player of the season and young player of the season in League One.

You can argue we didn't maximise our revenue from Cantwell and possibly Aarons. This is the same fundamental phenomenon at a lower level. If Mumba's going, it looks like an attempt at maximising what we can get from a club that will rate him based on past performance there.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Absolute pisstake if he's being sold. Honestly angry about this one

It’s a moronic decision. Based on both his clear talent, and our options down that side. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

True, but he's also coming off a period where he was Plymouth's player of the season and young player of the season in League One.

You can argue we didn't maximise our revenue from Cantwell and possibly Aarons. This is the same fundamental phenomenon at a lower level. If Mumba's going, it looks like an attempt at maximising what we can get from a club that will rate him based on past performance there.

We need all the talent we can get. He’s better than all our left wing options. If by some miracle he helps get us up then his value is even higher. If he has a good season then there will be clubs with bigger budgets than Plymouth interested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

We need all the talent we can get. He’s better than all our left wing options. If by some miracle he helps get us up then his value is even higher. If he has a good season then there will be clubs with bigger budgets than Plymouth interested. 

And what if he doesn't do a job for us and bombs like, say, Tzolis? If he's not getting into the pre-season games all that much, then is he really better than all other left-wing options? Does he suit what Wagner wants from his wingers?

I suspect they're going to focus hard on Tzolis and really give him his chance off the wing, and Sainz is waiting in the wings after injury.