Sign in to follow this  
Soldier on

Hanley ruptured Achilles

That’s an awful injury good luck with your recovery grant . Plans for next season just got even more complicated .

Ouch..... 

Although, wouldn't agree it's more complicated, we needed two new center halves in the summer, we still need two with Omo and Tomkinson 

That's a bad one. Think that'll be eight or nine months out. No chance of making pre-season so he's got a very long way to go. 

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Ouch..... 

Although, wouldn't agree it's more complicated, we needed two new center halves in the summer, we still need two with Omo and Tomkinson 

Tomkinson will need to step up, he hasn’t done great at Stevenage 

Big shame. Will need replacing. Don't have anyone close to as dominant in the air and we aren't blessed with aerial prowess in other positions. 

On 07/04/2023 at 17:30, KeiranShikari said:

Yup, had Onel came on and blasted over like Idah today I doubt the OP would be slating him but he was certainly all over Idah. 

I don't even really not rate Hernandez. I just think he's the sort of player that needs to play every week to get anywhere near his best out of him and i don't think he's the starter for a team with aspirations for the top 2.

I personally wouldn't sign him on a depth option because we need to thinking about the future.

7 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Ouch..... 

Tomkinson can’t even get a game in league 2 . He’s not ready for us.

Probably needed replacing/upgrading anyway so shouldn't change the summer plans too much, but it's horrible for the bloke.

16 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Probably needed replacing/upgrading anyway so shouldn't change the summer plans too much, but it's horrible for the bloke.

How are we going to upgrade him with no money ?? Or are we banking on US investment ….

Just now, Soldier on said:

How are we going to upgrade him with no money ?? Or are we banking on US investment ….

A CB upgrade is, and has been for a while, a key requirement, probably just behind CDM in the last few transfer windows. The Rashica money must be earmarked for this area of the pitch.

It's actually incomprehensible that after two failed attempts at staying up Hanley is still the first CB on the teamsheet before this injury. One of the biggest signs of Webber's utter failure. Not the biggest though, sadly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Buckets ready at Carrow Road a quick whip round and there we are a new centre back= problem solved- but I do worry who can we get for 50 pounds- answers please

So next January at the earliest. 4 CHs isn't enough we've proved that time and time again.

Omo, Gibson;  Tompkinson as cover. We need two more.

Doesn't Hanley's contract expire next June?

Real car crash in slow motion at present. Money has been p*+%d up the wall again, we need CDM, 2 x CB, ST and 2 wingers this summer and have nothing in the pot. 

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Real car crash in slow motion at present. Money has been p*+%d up the wall again, we need CDM, 2 x CB, ST and 2 wingers this summer and have nothing in the pot. 

So true yet that arrogant Webber character flounced into FCR taking swipes at 'the previous regime' for doing same. We are slap bang right back where we were when he trotted up here. In fact this squad is worse then the one he inherited. If there's one personnel change needed this summer its to show this chancer the door. Then the proper rebuild can happen.  

I feel sorry for Hanley but I have this nagging feeling it could be the best thing to happen for us. 

He's not the worst CB I've seen & he does have useful attributes - speed & strength among them - but like Gibson he is guilty of appalling errors which doesn't help team morale. And morale is the biggest problem; I think he's the wrong sort of character to lead a team. He's a dour Scottish pessimist at bottom, & I doubt the previous 2 PL adventures have done much to improve his outlook. 

Nothing wrong with being dour & Scottish, but you need a true fighting spirit to go with it, & to me he looks defeated before he starts, unable to galvanise those around him or inspire any belief other than in inevitable doom. Compare him to Christoph, a quiet, thoughtful chap who could nevertheless become a chest-beating leader when the going got tough.

I may be overstating the case but I just don't see Hanley as the man to grab the team by the scruff of the neck & force the issue. Too much Private Fraser in his make-up. 

We need a leader. We haven't got one. Whoever replaces Hanley in the long term has to have that quality, they have to care, to have belief & not settle for second best. And if that makes them unpopular in the dressing room? Well ...

• Like 4

Awful news. We won’t be seeing him for a long, long time unfortunately. That’s a big gap needs filling in the summer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Tomkinson will need to step up, he hasn’t done great at Stevenage 

If the answer is Tomkinson then the wrong question is being asked. Way off what we need to improve next season. He can’t get a starting place in a L2 team! 

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If the answer is Tomkinson then the wrong question is being asked. Way off what we need to improve next season. He can’t get a starting place in a L2 team! 

I have my doubts about him. In the u23 games I have seen, he hasn’t been great defensively. Decent with the ball at his feet though. 

12 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I feel sorry for Hanley but I have this nagging feeling it could be the best thing to happen for us. 

He's not the worst CB I've seen & he does have useful attributes - speed & strength among them - but like Gibson he is guilty of appalling errors which doesn't help team morale. And morale is the biggest problem; I think he's the wrong sort of character to lead a team. He's a dour Scottish pessimist at bottom, & I doubt the previous 2 PL adventures have done much to improve his outlook. 

Nothing wrong with being dour & Scottish, but you need a true fighting spirit to go with it, & to me he looks defeated before he starts, unable to galvanise those around him or inspire any belief other than in inevitable doom. Compare him to Christoph, a quiet, thoughtful chap who could nevertheless become a chest-beating leader when the going got tough.

I may be overstating the case but I just don't see Hanley as the man to grab the team by the scruff of the neck & force the issue. Too much Private Fraser in his make-up. 

We need a leader. We haven't got one. Whoever replaces Hanley in the long term has to have that quality, they have to care, to have belief & not settle for second best. And if that makes them unpopular in the dressing room? Well ...

Great post. My thoughts for a while. Gutted for the chap as a human being though and he’s a decent CB at this level which, ultimately, is where we are. A cb of his experience and quality in this league is going to be ££. Not great news really

Interestingly Izzy Brown has just announced his retirment at the age of 26 after suffering from two ruptured achilles. Given Hanley's age, this has the potential to be much worse than simply 9 months out. Even if he recovers, he may never be the same as he was before. With Gibson out of contract next summer and also increasingly injury prone, the CB position is clearly going to be critical for us next season, whatever leage we are in.

On 10/04/2023 at 18:09, canarydan23 said:

One of the few players who probably doesn't need upgrading in the squad (at this level).

Horrendous injury.

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

One of the few players who probably doesn't need upgrading in the squad (at this level).

Horrendous injury.

Six months ago I'd probably have agreed with you but he's somehow looked worse in the Championship this season than he did when we were getting slapped in the EPL.

• Like 1

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Six months ago I'd probably have agreed with you but he's somehow looked worse in the Championship this season than he did when we were getting slapped in the EPL.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I'm struggling to think of a game where he's played noticeably badly.

Our problems this season have stemmed from our **** midfield and poor finishing ability - difficult to fathom where the defence have been poor in general.

9 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Interestingly Izzy Brown has just announced his retirment at the age of 26 after suffering from two ruptured achilles. Given Hanley's age, this has the potential to be much worse than simply 9 months out. Even if he recovers, he may never be the same as he was before. With Gibson out of contract next summer and also increasingly injury prone, the CB position is clearly going to be critical for us next season, whatever leage we are in.

My thoughts also. No-one wishes him this injury which is one of the very worst footballers can have. Certainly far worse than a 'standard' broken leg. 

On 10/04/2023 at 18:26, Soldier on said:

It's so unfair that we don't get all those millions in parachute payments like Watford. Wages off the bill for Cantwell, Hugill, Rashica, Sinani, Martin, Pukki and most likely Byram, and Hayden and probably McGovern. Maybe a couple of million in fees for Cantwell/Hugill. We are OK.

15 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

It's so unfair that we don't get all those millions in parachute payments like Watford. Wages off the bill for Cantwell, Hugill, Rashica, Sinani, Martin, Pukki and most likely Byram, and Hayden and probably McGovern. Maybe a couple of million in fees for Cantwell/Hugill. We are OK.

Aren't the parachute payments pissed up the wa...sorry, spent?

21 minutes ago, Ian said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I'm struggling to think of a game where he's played noticeably badly.

Our problems this season have stemmed from our **** midfield and poor finishing ability - difficult to fathom where the defence have been poor in general.

Indeed. We have the 5th lowest goals conceded. Something that will stand us in good stead in the battle for a play off place. Us +12. Blackburn -2,  Preston -4. Millwall are closer to with +7

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Aren't the parachute payments pissed up the wa...sorry, spent?

Yes. I forgot. We have spent the 23/24 payments. The PL let us have all the payments in one go. Good job you reminded me, thanks

(however in the real world we are due another £35m, or so, should we stay in the Championship)

10 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Yes. I forgot. We have spent the 23/24 payments. The PL let us have all the payments in one go. Good job you reminded me, thanks

(however in the real world we are due another £35m, or so, should we stay in the Championship)

No, what you've forgotten is that we took out loans secured against the future parachute payments. The club have told us that. Whether they leveraged the whole lot or not I'm unsure. 

So yes, there is another tranche of parachute payments (not sure it's £35 million) but it doesn't sound like much of that will reach the club accounts. We have been told that player purchases will need to be funded by sales.

Attanasio coming in May change that. But the idea that we've got a load of cash soon to land to spend on the squad has no place in the "real world" to which you refer.

• Like 1