Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Norfolk born and most International caps?

I think I've just stumbled upon the Norfolk born footballer with the most international caps. I reckon Lauren Hemp may overtake him at some point, but I doubt there's anyone with more at present...I bring you Daniel Bennett -   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Bennett_(footballer)

Full name    Daniel Mark Bennett
Date of birth    7 January 1978 (age 45)
Place of birth    Great Yarmouth, England
Height    1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)
Position(s)    Centre-back, full-back
Youth career
1993–1995    Tiong Bahru
Senior career*
Years    Team    Apps    (Gls)
1995–1998    Tiong Bahru    33    (4)
1999–2000    Balestier Central    17    (1)
2000–2001    Tanjong Pagar United    35    (0)
2002    Wrexham    6    (0)
2002    Singapore Armed Forces FC    13    (0)
2002–2003    Wrexham    18    (0)
2003–2004    Singapore Armed Forces FC    42    (1)
2005–2006    Woodlands Wellington    57    (4)
2007–2016    Warriors FC    239    (5)
2016    Geylang International    20    (2)
2017–2021    Tampines Rovers    81    (3)
2022    Tanjong Pagar United    18    (1)
International career
2002–2017    Singapore    146    (7)

• Like 1

...well it looks like Mr Bennett has the league record attendance as well as the most caps for Singapore, but it seems he didnt quite make it for Wrexham...so there's your answer.

8 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

But do you know who the Norfolk born player with the most England caps is?, from memory he was born in Mulbarton............

We have a street named after him. And he played for the village team 💙🖤

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

This may be a complete coincidence, but there was a teacher called Andrew Bennett at the Sir John Leman High School, in Beccles, who left to teach in Singapore in the early 1980’s.

The Wikipedia citation refers to Daniel’s father being called Andrew.

42 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

But do you know who the Norfolk born player with the most England caps is?, from memory he was born in Mulbarton............

Maurice Norman.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm not going to ask what the quality of the Singapore leauge is when they have a 45 year old as a regular player for one of their teams

Joaquin at almost 42 played for Real Betis against the mancs last night. 

I'm not going to ask what the quality of the Singapore leauge is when they have a 45 year old as a regular player for one of their teams

Ever heard of Stanley Matthews ?

Grant Holt, 17 app, 12 goals in the Singapore Premier League.

11 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Joaquin at almost 42 played for Real Betis against the mancs last night. 

And Kazuyoshi Miura is 56 and made 18 apperences in the Japanese league last year, and even scored. You do get outliners sometimes I agree😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good enough for Grant Holt, remember him, to play in early in his career. 

Ps, I played against Geylang in the 1960' s, not sure if it would be the same team. Geylang is an area of Singapore, and I was at RAF Seletar there .

19 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

...well it looks like Mr Bennett has the league record attendance as well as the most caps for Singapore, but it seems he didnt quite make it for Wrexham...so there's your answer.

For what it's worth, according to the Wikipedia article, Wrexham signed him on a short-term contract twice, and then offered him a longer contract to stay, but he wanted to return to Singapore. Probably the right decision, in hindsight.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

For what it's worth, according to the Wikipedia article, Wrexham signed him on a short-term contract twice, and then offered him a longer contract to stay, but he wanted to return to Singapore. Probably the right decision, in hindsight.

I can't remember if it were Grant Holt on his time in Singapore or Jamie Cureton on his time in Korea, but one of them said the experience was incredible, had a huge villa with swimming pool and treated like a king etc. 

Judging by the goals records, I guess it was Holt who was happy with the experience, as Cureton actually struggled in Korea.

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I can't remember if it were Grant Holt on his time in Singapore or Jamie Cureton on his time in Korea, but one of them said the experience was incredible, had a huge villa with swimming pool and treated like a king etc. 

Judging by the goals records, I guess it was Holt who was happy with the experience, as Cureton actually struggled in Korea.

Makes sense. I remember reading an article a year or so ago about a striker from the English non-leagues who, in his early twenties, went to south-east Asia, Thailand I think, to try his luck. About seven or eight years later, he had been one of the top strikers in the country for several years and had played in front of some massive crowds in the bigger games that he never would've done had he stayed in England. 

Also, I've been to Asia once myself and westerners are treated incredibly well, so you can see the appeal.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anyone who plays football in Singapore deserves a medal. They must lose 10 kilo every match.

Their Premier League has 8 teams and has no relegation. Two of those teams aren't even from Singapore, but of a farce really (one is a Japanese B Team / Feeder team).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Their Premier League has 8 teams and has no relegation. Two of those teams aren't even from Singapore, but of a farce really (one is a Japanese B Team / Feeder team).

Do you already know all this random ' i know more than anyone' shoite or do you just google it? Honest question.  

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Do you already know all this random ' i know more than anyone' shoite or do you just google it? Honest question.  

I followed the link in the OP and was one link away from reading all about it on Wikipedia, about 5 minutes before posting. What is wrong with that? Honest question. 

Ironically the OP didn't even read his own link, as he then erroneously claimed the lad was a a Wrexham reject. His own link states that he rejected a Wrexham deal.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anyone who plays football in Singapore deserves a medal. They must lose 10 kilo every match.

Sound ideal. Sign me up. Unless I have to put it back that is...

Wasn't Matthew upson born in Diss? He played at a world cup so he must have had a fair few England caps.

Update. Ignore Upson!. 'Upson was born in Eye, Suffolk, and attended Diss High School in Norfolk'

Edited by The Raptor