Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Ivan Toney

If Barton made 6x as many bets does it stand to reason he gets 1/6 the penalty? 3 month ban potentially less on appeal?

I don’t know if it’s know these were games he was involved in or had privileged knowledge about, or it was Man U v Liverpool or whatever. 

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

If Barton made 6x as many bets does it stand to reason he gets 1/6 the penalty? 3 month ban potentially less on appeal?

I don’t know if it’s know these were games he was involved in or had privileged knowledge about, or it was Man U v Liverpool or whatever. 

I reckon Joey Barton got his bad penalty as his name was joey Barton, IvanToney plays for the love in of the year team so be interesting to see. Logically of course if any game he was involved in was fixed in anyway there could be consequences for the club.

So to sum up as he plays for Brentford he will probably as you suggest get 3 months May - August.

Sounds likely he'll get 3 months, could be the end of his England career chances as well

It also depends on the nature of the offences, Barton was just placing bets, the article he's charged under also covers sharing privileged information, which is potentially far more serious...

55 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems a bit odd if you're making tens of thousand a week to then get addicted to gambling not like he needs the money

The period of the offences starts way back when he was on loan to Shrewsbury, S****horpe and Wigan. He was quite young then. Probably felt a bit of a come down after getting bought by Newcastle. His mum managed a bookies. 

59 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems a bit odd if you're making tens of thousand a week to then get addicted to gambling not like he needs the money

Too much money and to much time to waste. I was at an event a few years back when two very famous Chelsea defenders attended and were making £200 bets with each other as to whether the next person through the door was male or female. Im going back a good 15 years so not a small amount of money

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Gambling easily becomes a habit difficult to stop. If he started young as has been suggested, he probably found it hard to stop. What we don't know is if he has bet on any games he has been involved in. If he has, that changes the level of wrong doing exponentially, but if he has just been pursuing a habit he couldn't stop, betting on other matches, then he may get less of a ban.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's almost like people don't actively choose to get addicted to gambling you buffoon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This statement just shows a complete lack of understanding of gambling addiction............

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You've led a bit of a sheltered life CC. ( wink )

The money side of it is irrelevant. It's the buzz the addict gets from whatever it is they are addicted to not how much money they make. Sure they might win a huge amount but an addict is likely to give it all back sooner rather than later.

It doesn't matter how rich they are and footballers aren't usually on the breadline, certainly not in the PL. Matthew Etherington Paul Merson and further back Peter Shilton had chronic addiction. In snooker Willie Thorne never overcame the problem either.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

51 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Maybe I dont understand it as I dont gamble. No need to be rude.

You don't need to gamble to understand how people get addicted to stuff. I've never smoked crack but I understand how people become crack addicts. I don't think a grown adult should need it explained to them that people don't choose to get addicted to things. 

Also I find it somewhat odd how strongly you hold your opinions about getting gambling adverts away from football yet apparently have zero understanding about gambling.

Edited by king canary
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You have absolutely no idea how the human mind works, do you  CC?

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

No as I'm a robot made by PinkUn to drive up views on here by posting clickbait articles

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, AJ said:

Sounds likely he'll get 3 months, could be the end of his England career chances as well

Eligible for Jamaica if so, what a coup that would be for them.

Front three of Toney, Antonio, and Leon Bailey with Andre Grey off the bench isn't too shoddy at all  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WD40 said:

SSN think it will be 6 months+

3 months would be a complete non-penalty considering the hearing is predicted to be in April, and a 3 month ban would be half swallowed up by pre-season.

That said, a non-league player was banned for a similar number of bets last month and their penalty was a 4 month ban rather than 6 month ban.

We also don't know at this stage whether Ivan Toney bet on games involving his own team, or that he played in, do we? Numerous factors will determine the seriousness beyond the number of bets placed. E.g. bet it would be considered much worse if complex steps were taken to try and avoid detection.

Joey Barton bet on his own team to lose some matches which is obviously disgraceful, however he didn't feature in any of those matches, had he featured in any of those matches it would have been much more serious. Just calculating based on number of bets placed isn't enough.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Eligible for Jamaica if so, what a coup that would be for them.

Front three of Toney, Antonio, and Leon Bailey with Andre Grey off the bench isn't too shoddy at all  

Jamacia national team about to be a ferrari at the front and a rusty fiat at the back

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Jamacia national team about to be a ferrari at the front and a rusty fiat at the back

That's until they recruit Max Aarons at right back and Rico Henry at left back, and Nathan Ferguson from Palace at centre back, then we'll be seeing them in a World Cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's until they recruit Max Aarons at right back and Rico Henry at left back, and Nathan Ferguson from Palace at centre back, then we'll be seeing them in a World Cup.

I imagine it is a tough sell though- having to do transatlantic flights in order to play Panama or Honduras for a country you maybe don't feel all that much attachment to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I imagine it is a tough sell though- having to do transatlantic flights in order to play Panama or Honduras for a country you maybe don't feel all that much attachment to.

They tend to only take the players based in North America and the Carribean to the meaningless friendlies and the big draws only fly from Europe for competitive fixtures.

I see where you are coming from however if they felt there was a realistic chance of playing at a World Cup then that's the pinnacle isn't it.... Matty Cash gets it.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No body gambles because they need the money, it’s the thrill of the chase that is addictive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Also, as Canada, USA and Mexico qualify as co-hosts and the competition is expanding to have 48 teams, it’s not going to be hard for Jamaica to qualify. Pinnock is already playing for them at CB so bringing those three and Toney will make them pretty good if they can find a midfield. 

2 minutes ago, aBee said:

Also, as Canada, USA and Mexico qualify as co-hosts and the competition is expanding to have 48 teams, it’s not going to be hard for Jamaica to qualify. Pinnock is already playing for them at CB so bringing those three and Toney will make them pretty good if they can find a midfield. 

Morgan Gibbs-White and Demarai Gray are eligible as well.

Personally think it will leave them with a far better team than Wales who just played in a World Cup!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

When this was initially reported, it was said that there was no suggestion Toney had bet on matches involving his own team. It appears that in the most recent updates, it looks as though this is still unknown. 

A lot of players have fallen foul of being caught betting on football though, and there's no doubt loads of others who haven't been caught. When I was working in betting shops, there was a player who regularly did it: I saw a colleague serve him (although she probably didn't know who he was), I saw him placing a bet in another company's shop, and I saw him come in with slips from other shops to check results. This was about ten years ago and he's still playing, without ever having been caught. 

7 hours ago, king canary said:

I've never smoked crack but I understand how people become crack addicts.

Well it starts with them choosing to start inhaling a substance which everybody knows is incredibly addictive.

I'm not sure there are really too many parallels between crack cocaine and gambling, as one is ingrained into society and our culture, and a very low percentage of people who partake develop a problem, and the other is very much a niche pursuit with an extremely high rate of physical addiction. One is psychologically addictive and the other is physically addictive. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

When this was initially reported, it was said that there was no suggestion Toney had bet on matches involving his own team. It appears that in the most recent updates, it looks as though this is still unknown.  

Exactly. Joey Barton bet on his own team to lose, albeit not in games that he was playing in.

It could be better than that, with Toney never betting against his own team, or it could be much worse with Toney betting his team would lose in games that he is playing in. 

We'll see.

9 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

He could start a thread about it though.

• Haha 1