10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

His next club will be Sheffield United.

Well if so, they will be releasing a few strikers to accommodate him - they have a real surplus at the moment (Brewster, McBurnie, Sharp, Jebbison, Ndiaye). They have recalled Osula from his Derby loan to replace Kedra who has been released from his loan. Blades fans were talking up Pukki's potential arrival, but the club still doesn't have spare farthings to pay another wage, so not for me unless there is a straight swap. Who would you want from that list?

I’m not sure I’d swap Pukki for any of them. 

At a push, McBurnie possibly (though Pukki singles him out as a player he admires in that interview) - but he’d have to literally pull his socks up first. 

Edited by mrdi

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

His next club will be Sheffield United.

Any reason you think that ? ITK ? or just your opinion ? 

i thought it would have been one of the smaller teams in a European cup 

Or the MLS ? 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

USA men's FIFA rank: 13

Finland men's rank: 56

India rank: 106

The fact that there's very little interest in playing football in India compared to the USA and Finland should be a pretty obvious factor to anyone who isn't completely clueless.

Garbage.

The Indian Super League attracts much higher attendances than the MLS and higher TV viewing figures. In fact, I just read an article that said it's the 5th best attended league in the world. Simply breaking it down by population is pointless, as you seem to now accept by adding an caveat. Infrastructure and culture is far, far more important. Why do you think nations like Netherlands and Australia punch above their weight in a significant number of sports relative to their low population compared with countries they consistently compete with and beat?

Italy should beat the Netherlands at everything with over three times the population to choose from, but in reality there is very little they can claim to be better at. I'll give them Rugby but I'm struggling to think of much else. You might say Football as Italy are current European Champions, but when you look at the sport as a whole and factor in the women's game, Netherlands are ahead.

57 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Any reason you think that ? ITK ? or just your opinion ? 

The gossip here stems from a video Pukki has done where he is analysing other strikers in the Chumps. He talks glowingly about 2 or 3 Blades strikers and even eulogises about the club. This got Blades fans excited, talking up the possibility so much on twitter, that journalists have also taken up the idea. Maybe nothing in it, but perhaps Pukki's agent has been talking behind the scenes, to more than one organisation?

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

The gossip here stems from a video Pukki has done where he is analysing other strikers in the Chumps. He talks glowingly about 2 or 3 Blades strikers and even eulogises about the club. This got Blades fans excited, talking up the possibility so much on twitter, that journalists have also taken up the idea. Maybe nothing in it, but perhaps Pukki's agent has been talking behind the scenes, to more than one organisation?

Maybe 

i think they could do the wages 

i do not know myself 

but i think someone like a smaller side from france Spain Holland even Germany in a Euro cup of some type 

Depends if he has enough money or wants to stay around the 50k mark he is on now 

Pukki is the best striker at the club in my view. I don't buy the idea that we have to play in some super specific way to get the best out of him. The style over the last 12 months would've made any striker look bad. Sargent went on a hot finishing streak to start the year but even the games when Pukki had to come off the bench you could see the impact he made. I know people also call for him to play in the 10 role behind a striker but I don't see it really. He's good at holding the ball up with his back to goal and laying it off to behind or to the side, I wouldn't say he's that good on the half turn and then playing the ball forwards. He's also better than our other options at making runs in behind. 

Unfortunately with 6 months left on his deal it's hard to see us keeping him unless we get promoted and even then it wouldn't be a guarantee. Considering he will be 33 before the season is over I doubt the club would want to give him any more than a 1 year deal and I suspect he will be able to get a deal from a club somewhere for 2-3 years on the same, if not better, wage than he gets right now.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrdi said:

At a push, McBurnie possibly (though Pukki singles him out as a player he admires in that interview) - but he’d have to literally pull his socks up first. 

PleasE no, just a thug

• Like 1

Pukki has been a good servant to the club but to some people he just seems un-droppable - must play whatever and then bend the team out of shape to accommodate.

He's clearly not as 'sharp' or deadly as he was 2 or 3 seasons ago. He also knows this in away himself - no longer interested in international football or anything to prove - a kind of winding down as we all do as we enter retirement.

It's not just me either that can see this - On the 'away matches' I tend to listen to Radio Norfolk and for me it became a standing joke when I'd hear - "You'd of expected Pukki to put that one away" regularly over the last two seasons. 

We need to move on else we'd still be playing Holty!

Edited by Yellow Fever

37 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

PleasE no, just a thug

Agreed, but arguably still the best of that list. 

1 hour ago, repman said:

Pukki is the best striker at the club in my view. I don't buy the idea that we have to play in some super specific way to get the best out of him. The style over the last 12 months would've made any striker look bad. Sargent went on a hot finishing streak to start the year but even the games when Pukki had to come off the bench you could see the impact he made. I know people also call for him to play in the 10 role behind a striker but I don't see it really. He's good at holding the ball up with his back to goal and laying it off to behind or to the side, I wouldn't say he's that good on the half turn and then playing the ball forwards. He's also better than our other options at making runs in behind. 

Unfortunately with 6 months left on his deal it's hard to see us keeping him unless we get promoted and even then it wouldn't be a guarantee. Considering he will be 33 before the season is over I doubt the club would want to give him any more than a 1 year deal and I suspect he will be able to get a deal from a club somewhere for 2-3 years on the same, if not better, wage than he gets right now.  

I find it tough to agree with that. Looking at his career he's only been a deadly striker under Farke who played in this very specific manner or at one of the top clubs in a weaker Danish league, for a team that was always on the front foot. I'm not sure I agree he's particularly strong at holding the ball up- he's good at coming shorter to offer a passing option and then moving it on but he's not someone I'd suggest thrives playing with his back to goal, nor feeding on longer balls in behind into the channels. His strengths involve hanging on the shoulder, using his speed of thought and initial burst to get away from defenders which means he needs through balls generally from attacking midfield positions and being able to play quick, short passes in and around the box with other players who share his speed of thought.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I find it tough to agree with that. Looking at his career he's only been a deadly striker under Farke who played in this very specific manner or at one of the top clubs in a weaker Danish league, for a team that was always on the front foot. I'm not sure I agree he's particularly strong at holding the ball up- he's good at coming shorter to offer a passing option and then moving it on but he's not someone I'd suggest thrives playing with his back to goal, nor feeding on longer balls in behind into the channels. His strengths involve hanging on the shoulder, using his speed of thought and initial burst to get away from defenders which means he needs through balls generally from attacking midfield positions and being able to play quick, short passes in and around the box with other players who share his speed of thought.

I agree with this, which is why I'm not hopeful of him and Sargent as a pair upfront.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I guess I don't agree that this specific manner was particularly unique to us under Farke. Farke's football led to us creating lots of good quality shots (not headers) in the box. The buildup to that point is possibly what made us more unique under Farke but I don't think the end point principle is connected, under Wagner I think we will probably create more of these chances than under Smith but through winning the ball back high up the pitch rather than carving up defences like under Farke. I don't think the value of Pukki's weaknesses equal the values of his strengths. Playing long balls into the channels and sending your striker wide isn't an optimal idea in my view, whereas setting him through on goal 1v1 with the keeper seems a better idea. A header in the box isn't as good a value chance as a shot in the same position. 

Also the conversation about him not being a deadly striker across his career in some ways reminds me of what people say about how we should've kept hold of a player like Carlton Morris. By the time he arrived at Brondby at 24 years old(if you take out the time he spent in Finland at 16 years old), he had played 53.4 90s, and in that time scored 31 goals, that's a pretty outstanding record.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we are already a proper mid table side. Sad truth is that without the goals of Pukki and Sargent this season we’d be a relegation contender. 

The squad has obvious quality in it with there being 15 players who have previously won the championship either once or twice with us. Let’s hope it was just poor management from the previous gaffer that caused the slump. 

Why the "without" comment about players?

Without 2/3rds of this squad we'd already be playing in league one.

Without Huckerby we were a solid mid-table side who might challenge for a play-off place. Defensively mean but nowhere near enough goals to go up.

Thing is, we do have them, so it's an absolutely pointless argument.

As for those 15 players.
- Krul (twice)
- Aarons (twice)
- Hanley (twice)
- Gibson (once)
- Giannoulis (once, half a season)
- McLean (twice)
- Cantwell (twice)
- Hernandez (I guess we'll call it twice)
- Pukki (twice)
- Sorensen (once but mainly as a left back, otherwise bit part)
- Omobamidele (once, barely, mainly at the end of the season)
- McGovern (I mean, twice if you actually want to quibble about the one or two appearances he made)
- Idah (again, I believe he was injured for a large chunk of the 2nd, so one, ish)
- Hugill (one)
- Byram (one, but again, injury issues restricted appearances)

When we talk about players that's who have seen one or more promotions with us in our squad, that's who we're talking about. The split is about 50/50 between genuine first team players or squad players.

Pukki, Aarons, Krul, McLean, Hanley, Giannoulis and Gibson can genuinely be called first choice for one or both. Cantwell is on the cusp of that though the 2nd time around was when issues first arose, he did play the majority.

Omobamidele mainly contributed towards the end of the last promotion season. Hugill was mainly used as a substitute. Hernandez and Byram were injured a fair amount. Sorensen played but mainly as an emergency left back because Byram was injured as was Quintilla I think. McGovern may have been 2nd choice for some of that time but only ever made emergency appearances or cup appearances. 

I'm not so convinced that this "squad bustling with experience" is quite what people are making it out to be. Worth noting that Krul, Pukki, McGovern, Hanley, McLean and Hugill are also all 30+ now. Some are showing signs of that, others less so. 

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

USA men's FIFA rank: 13

Finland men's rank: 56

India rank: 106

The fact that there's very little interest in playing football in India compared to the USA and Finland should be a pretty obvious factor to anyone who isn't completely clueless.

Yeah but Sebastian Soto can get USA caps, bet he wouldn't have got Finland caps.

7 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Well if so, they will be releasing a few strikers to accommodate him - they have a real surplus at the moment (Brewster, McBurnie, Sharp, Jebbison, Ndiaye). They have recalled Osula from his Derby loan to replace Kedra who has been released from his loan. Blades fans were talking up Pukki's potential arrival, but the club still doesn't have spare farthings to pay another wage, so not for me unless there is a straight swap. Who would you want from that list?

I'm clearly meaning at the end of the season, subject to their promotion. They'd have Sky riches and the transfer fee is £0. I've heard some strong rumours that the interest is real, he's the Billy Sharp replacement.

Number of Premier League goals:

Brewster: 0

McBurnie: 7

Sharp: 6

Jebbison: 1

Ndiaye: 0 (and not really a striker?)

Teemu Pukki: 22

I'm sure they'll find a way. 

Besides, Billy Sharp is 37 next month and has scored 1 goal in 17 this season. He's finished.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Sharp is also out of contract at the end of the season.  He wants a new deal but given that he hasn't yet been offered one, with the Blades looking nailed on for promotion I doubt he'll get one.

I'm amazed Everton haven't asked about Pukki as a short term fix mind you given their situation.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yeah but Sebastian Soto can get USA caps, bet he wouldn't have got Finland caps.

This made me laugh, although pretty sure Finland have capped a lot worse players Soto - I reckon some real horrors

55 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Sharp is also out of contract at the end of the season.  He wants a new deal but given that he hasn't yet been offered one, with the Blades looking nailed on for promotion I doubt he'll get one.

I'm amazed Everton haven't asked about Pukki as a short term fix mind you given their situation.

I agree about Everton, I also think you could chuck Southampton and West Ham to that list to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm clearly meaning at the end of the season, subject to their promotion. They'd have Sky riches and the transfer fee is £0. I've heard some strong rumours that the interest is real, he's the Billy Sharp replacement.

Number of Premier League goals:

Brewster: 0

McBurnie: 7

Sharp: 6

Jebbison: 1

Ndiaye: 0 (and not really a striker?)

Teemu Pukki: 22

I'm sure they'll find a way. 

Besides, Billy Sharp is 37 next month and has scored 1 goal in 17 this season. He's finished.

Ah, sorry, thought you meant this window.

Yes Sharp isn't likely to be offered a new contract at the end of the season, he hasn't been looking that sharp (ahem) this season. So makes some sense having Pukki (given his experience) as a back up, but would Pukki want to be back up, might as well stay here. So I think Blades'll go for someone younger in the summer.

11 hours ago, mrdi said:

I quite like the look of Ndiaye.  McBurnie is just an awkward lump that they vastly overpaid for.  People (rightly) complain about the money that we've wasted in recent seasons but given the money that they spent on him and Brewster (£40m or so for the pair by all accounts) the fact that Sharp still gets a game is nothing short of criminal albeit his importance to them is measured in more than goals.  I wouldn't swap Sargent for any of them. 

Pukki even in the twilight of his career would be a big upgrade which is why the Blades fans are getting excited.

12 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I agree about Everton, I also think you could chuck Southampton and West Ham to that list to.

i said at the start of the season a PL club like Southampton / Everton should of bought Pukki 

Even for just one season say 10/15 million where else could you buy a 10/15 goal a season PL striker for that money 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2023 at 13:31, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think that this point about the specific requirements in overall play to get the best out of Pukki underlines why we're better off simply pursuing a future with Sargent in that role. We don't have the resources as a club to reliably bring in the sorts of players to support him.

I think Sargent has done enough to show that he's a strong striker. Realistically, 2 strikers is not workable, so one has to be favoured. If we're forced to develop around one or the other, it should be the one who's going to be here next season, which is Sargent, because Pukki himself is not someone who is going to be easy to find a like-for-like replacement for.

I never thought this day would come but... I agree 100% with all of the above! 

Am I... Am I going to burst into flames now? 😱

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Besiktas?

Yup, this was the talk in the summer wasn't it? Turkish clubs. It depends upon what he wants at this point in his career. If he want's to win trophies and play in Europe still, then the likes of the Netherlands or Belgium could be a good shot. No idea if Farke would take him now, another possibility? Perhaps France?

I think suggesting lower table Prem teams is somewhat unlikely unless it is purely for the cash. Right now, he could well be talking to European clubs as he is free to do so. It'd make sense that if that is the case, one of them would make an early offer to bring him in and impact this season, perhaps for a European position or a title push etc. Either way, links to those sorts of clubs are more realistic owing to his ability to speak to them.

As a reminder: Teemu Pukki is a great footballer for a team size of Norwich. He is still on the way to do 20+10 this season.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 23:26, Canario said:

Looks a shadow of his former self and agree with above comments, he just doesn't look happy. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave this month. Fantastic servant and deserves so much more than to play his last game alongside this current crop.

🥧

1 hour ago, tiimuu said:

As a reminder: Teemu Pukki is a great footballer for a team size of Norwich. He is still on the way to do 20+10 this season.

He is not quite as good as he was. His has lost a bit - only a bit - of pace and his touch is not quite as sharp as before. But this is hardly surprising. A great deal of draining high-pressure football in the last few years. But he is still more than good enough for us this season,

On 10/01/2023 at 08:23, littleyellowbirdie said:

At 32, Pukki's one of the best centre forwards for Finland, whch has a population of 5.5 million. At 22, Sargent's one of the best centre forwards for the USA drawing from a population of 331.9 million.

So I guess its good that we have Sargent and not Haaland since he is also one of the best centre forwards in a country of around 5 million people lol?

On 10/01/2023 at 09:58, BroadstairsR said:

No, I meant in actual games. Is he a lone striker or does he play behind one? I seem to  recall some other guy up there too. Marcus Force?

I realise his status in Finland.

Finland used to play a 4-4-2, but a few years ago changed to a 5-3-2/3-5-2. The guy who he plays striker with has changed a lot. Often it has been some pretty anonymous players.