Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

Clamp down on this cheating

Bloking access to the ball when the opposition wants to take a free kick/corner/throw. It should be an automatic yellow if a player attempts to impede the opposition from getting the ball. Jst as standing in front of a free kick. All the ref has to do is explain this when visiting each dressing room before the game. The World Cup saw a crack down on the 10 yards or more gained by taking the throw in from further up the pitch, so they can easily do this. If it is within the final 5 minutes of normal time then make it a red. It does not need VAR to decide, or would there be any controversy. The whistle blows, so you would be aware of the consequences. It would be no more than implementing the rules, and backed by tougher sanctions.

• Like 3

And also bring back the rule for how long a keeper can hold the ball for. Would add a good 7 or 8 minutes a game unless you are called Lumley then it would be 20 minutes

• Like 2

It winds me up too, but not sure about a yellow card. The rugby rule where the kick gets moved forward ten metres works for me.

• Like 2

We said just the same yesterday during the game.  Holding on to the ball, or blocking access, should be treated the same as kicking the ball away with a yellow card.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

We said just the same yesterday during the game.  Holding on to the ball, or blocking access, should be treated the same as kicking the ball away with a yellow card.

Saying the same myself yesterday too.

Was also saying that surely football is the only sport where cheating is actively celebrated as the right thing to do. Taking a yellow for the team to stop a breakaway movement or falling over in the box to earn a penalty even though the striker knows he could have stayed on his feet. Just two of the things that managers, players and fans expect their team to do.

I like the 10m rule for a free-kick and have always been a fan of the idea of a sin-bin.  

• Like 1

I also like the idea of sin bin, penalties, I also think if a player is taken down by the last defender it should result in that player taking a one on one with the keeper with a run from the half way line, like they award in ice hockey.

Football could do with being reviewed and improved, I totally agree with others above time wasting and diving should get a yellow and two yellows gets you ten minutes in the sun bin, sometimes two yellows don’t really warrant a red card.

Can I add that indirect free kicks are bought back, not every free kick in the penalty area really warrants a penalty award!

• Like 1

Looks like he touched him so he had the right to go down...

NO! That isn't a foul!

I like the idea of the 10m free kick rule.

Not sure where this came from but timewasting substitutions could easily be stopped but automatically booking the player coming on if he's not on the pitch 60 seconds after the board goes up.

• Like 1

We used to have the rule where a free kick was moved ten yards closer to goal, don’t know why they stopped it though. 

6 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

We used to have the rule where a free kick was moved ten yards closer to goal, don’t know why they stopped it though. 

Moving the kick 10 yards would be a suitable deterrent, and sanction if not. The problem of players picking up the ball and running with it when it is an opposition a throw in should be a yellow card.  It would put an end to that activity, as with corners.You do not accintally pick up the ball Would a player be let off were he to pick up tha ball at a free kick and run with it before throwing it back ? Of course not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Raptor said:

NO! That isn't a foul!

Dunno what I find worse, Pundits saying this and then  moaning next time that players have gone down too easily. You can't have both. 

There are lots of minor things like this that could be easily solved. I get annoyed by watching 5 or 6 players getting round the ref screaming at him. Liverpool and Arsenal over the last couple of days have done this to a ridiculous degree. I know refereeing standards aren't great but having 60,000 people screaming at you must be difficult enough to deal with without 5 very physical and aggressive young men shouting in your face. 

Diving is the big one for me.

Therefore I would propose that the fouled player has to take the resulting set piece unless they were unable to due to injury in this rare case a pre nominated player would take it.

This would not stop players trying to gain a free kick no that is too deep rooted but it would lessen the advantage gained. Take the Reading game would that guy be so ready to fall over in the box knowing he would have to take the resulting penalty 

There's a few good ideas here. I think most people agree that things like feigning injuries have gone too far now.

A couple of my ideas:

Timekeeping could easily be done by an official, off the field to ensure all relevant stoppages are accurately recoded and no advantage is gained by time wasting. Like rugby, aussie rules etc. with a siren which has the added benefit of taking the onus off the on field ref. 

Trial by video is used successfully in other sports too whereby after every weekend a panel sit and look at all contentious decisions and hand out retrospective fines and/or suspensions. There's enough money in professional football to pay for this, at least at the higher levels and it would very quickly negate a large percentage of things like the diving where little or contact is made. The thought of coping a ban after the game makes players and managers think twice. 

The excuse that 'it's part ot the game' doesn't wash any more, it's not, it's cheating. Clearly. It's gone way beyond 'sportsmanship' and it's really embarrassing to watch, there's no justifiable reason why it persists in the professional game.

Trial by video rather misses the point - which is to clamp down on handling the ball after a free kick/throw/corner has been awarded to the opposition. Picking up the ball and running with it denies the advantage to the other side. No after game sanction can restore that lost advantage of quickly taking the free kick/throw etc.

The punishment needs to be harsh, just as it is with striking an opponent, where it is obviously an 'assualt'.Picking the ball up is not subjective either, as might be the case with diving or time wasting. The ball goes out for an opposition corner, throw etc - any attempt to block access is not subject to a claim they were not cheating. The moment a player touches the ball when it is the oppositions he knows full well what he is doing. No ifs, no buts. A yellow, and a red any time after 80 or 85 minutes. I suspect that form of cheating would end immediately, with no impact on the game, no rule change etc.

7 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Diving is the big one for me.

Therefore I would propose that the fouled player has to take the resulting set piece unless they were unable to due to injury in this rare case a pre nominated player would take it.

This happens in basketball. The fouled player takes the free throws. I think it would be a good idea. 

Some of these are already covered. Delaying the restart of play is already a yellow card offence so that's one where current law could use being enforced more stringently (and failing that, you've always got the catch-all of "unsporting behaviour").

The main problem is that attempting to cheat yields far greater rewards than the penalties suffered if it fails. If a dive fails, you probably won't get a card unless it's shocking. Otherwise, why not have a go? With that issue in mind, I'd suggest the following:

1. Scrap the penalty kick right away. Replace with penalty corners (add another small quadrant on the bye-line inside the point where the penalty box meets the bye-line, so it's a corner from a shorter distance). Hockey basically has them too. Could accept the idea of running in with a free shot like ice hockey too, but at the moment you're giving a team a free, unpressured shot from 12 yards - often for the most minor of contact. That's grossly disproportionate. Might also get referees to clamp down harder on defensive wrestling on set-pieces.

2. Scrap the red card for one-off tackles. We have red cards for violent conduct. Save it for that.

3. Part of me's thinking "make all free-kicks indirect". Might stop some play-acting on the edge of the box sniffing for free-kicks in Maddison/Vrancic range.

4. This one's been recently suggested by German referee Patrick Ittrich - if a player rolls around several times and apparently requires a doctor, take him off the field and make him wait for three minutes. Wonder how much rolling around / waiting for the doc happens then? Might speed the game up too.

Edited by TheGunnShow

A good one re feigning Injuries :

The downed player needs to spend as much time off the pitch waiting to come on as they spent rolling around.

the difficulty with Injuries is / will be the uproar when a head injury or serious injury is ignored as simulation 

that said I don't know many times or people who if injured actually roll about in pain 

it's the ones that go down like a sack of sh1t and don't move that you should worry about.

I wish refs would just card players for doing it,.Watford were so bad at this

The ref should have just laughed at s couple of them 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

21 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Trial by video rather misses the point - which is to clamp down on handling the ball after a free kick/throw/corner has been awarded to the opposition. Picking up the ball and running with it denies the advantage to the other side. No after game sanction can restore that lost advantage of quickly taking the free kick/throw etc.

Huh?
Trial by video, in the form that I am familiar with at least, isn't to do with handling the ball after a free kick etc. The form I am referring to is to look at any contentious decision or fouls/breaches AFTER the game has ended and hand out retrospective punishment.
Done properly the threat of retrospective punishment and suspensions becomes a deterrent.

I agree penalising offences retrospectively does nothing to help the immediate flow of the game or restore a lost advantage at that very time, but, after a few weeks of such sanctions it would deter people doing it going forwards if the penalty was severe enough (e.g. would a player roll around for 5 minutes if there's a risk he's banned for 2 games should the video later show there was no significant contact?).
As things stand, once the final whistle is blown the offending player has effectively 'gotten away with it'. The technology is there, why not use it beyond the 90 minutes?

On 03/01/2023 at 16:00, The Raptor said:

NO! That isn't a foul!

I like the idea of the 10m free kick rule.

Not sure where this came from but timewasting substitutions could easily be stopped but automatically booking the player coming on if he's not on the pitch 60 seconds after the board goes up.

Agree, agree, and agree.  

Except 60 seconds?  Too long.  No need for a booking, just make a rule that if the subbed player is not off the pitch in 15 seconds from the board going up (he can leave in any direction) then his replacement can't come on until the next break in play.  And still add the time on, of course.

They could even put an electric timer in the number board, to buzz when the time is up.

On 03/01/2023 at 16:03, FenwayFrank said:

It was a badly thought-out rule.  The rule was that when the ref moved the ball forwards 10 yards he also had to book the offending player, which made it more of a punishment than it was worth.  So it was seldom used.

If they changed it so the 10 yards was automatic but the booking was still at the ref's discretion, it would be used more.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2023 at 15:26, canarycop said:

And also bring back the rule for how long a keeper can hold the ball for. Would add a good 7 or 8 minutes a game unless you are called Lumley then it would be 20 minutes

This is still a rule in the IFAB laws of the game, law #12.2: It is six seconds.

But it is rarely called on Goalkeepers by Referees. Maybe if the lawmakers were serious about stamping out time-wasting and dissent, they would enforce this rule again with consistently...

Edited by TheRock