Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Insight into David Wagner

Enjoyed this interview.

Few other facts:

• He's a graduate. After finishing his playing career he studied for a degree in Sports Science and Biology, then did his UEFA Pro License
  • Lifelong friend of Jurgen Klopp (and former teammate)
  • Won the UEFA Cup as a player

Video does show just how tinpot Huddersfield were, with their training centre being essentially a working mans club with old chaps floating around playing pool. 

I could buy into this chap without problem.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

More I read and learn more I think Wagner is the manager I'd like us to appoint. Certainly a refreshing change from the boredom and approach of Smith

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cheers for the find TVB

I tell you what, having a little community club with bar and pool tables at Colney would go a long way towards fixing the disconnect with the fans. Although I suppose it would take business away from The Nest so perhaps not.

I presume Wagner would be more open to following the tradition of first team managers attending the AGM also, wasn't Dean Smith a no show?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

He would be decent and its fair to say our club seems much more modern and state of the art than Huddersfield so I'm sure that would help him here too but I do worry given how he did at Shalke

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

He would be decent and its fair to say our club seems much more modern and state of the art than Huddersfield so I'm sure that would help him here too but I do worry given how he did at Shalke

They had severe financial problems at the time with £230m of debt and had players having to take pay cuts. Their directors actually warned that the club could go under.

He actually finished 12th with Schalke which was an improvement on the prior season when they finished 14th.

He was sacked after 2 games of the following season. His replacement then took them down in 18th.

I suspect that it was their off the field problems driving that performance / second half of the season slump, when he had that long winless streak (beat their record for winless streak) the players were actually asked to waive a significant amount of their wages. Not defer but entirely forego in order to protect the jobs of non-playing staff.

It was nice of them to agree but how many of them were immediately on the phones to their agents looking for their summer moves to clubs in a better place financially? 

Wagner also took a big pay cut, classy move. Germans just do football better.

• Like 4

In fairness, I've been vocal about my concerns RE Wagner but there is quite a lot that makes sense about it. It's just that gut feeling of a manager on a downwards trajectory I can't shake.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And by the way his tenure ended at Huddersfield with them rock bottom, eight points adrift of safety and having collected nine points from 22 matches. Also his failure to emulate his predecessor at Young Boys by winning the title which the club had done the previous three seasons.

Wagner's brief period of success at Huddersfield is overshadowed by failure over a much longer period elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

I'd be happy with him, I think.

However: I can't remember who said it on here, but "if Wagner is the answer, Farke wasn't the problem" was a great line. In other words, it would be a bit of humble pie for Webber to appoint him. And SW seems allergic to humble pie.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ALBOWLLY said:

And by the way his tenure ended at Huddersfield with them rock bottom, eight points adrift of safety and having collected nine points from 22 matches. Also his failure to emulate his predecessor at Young Boys by winning the title which the club had done the previous three seasons.

Wagner's brief period of success at Huddersfield is overshadowed by failure over a much longer period elsewhere.

I'd argue that Young Boys is his first significant failure, in the sense of performances being substantially below realistic expectations. 

In context, if he hadn't have failed there he'd still be there and in the Champions League and his name wouldn't be on our radar.

Diego Simeone has failures on his CV including an 11 game winless run which left one the biggest Argentinian clubs, River Plate, at the bottom of the Primera Division. He was sacked for that.

Brian Clough flopped at Leeds and was sacked within a few months. Joined Nottingham Forest 3 months later.

Irrespective of Huddersfield being bottom of the Premier league when he left, he still delivered their most successful period since the 1930s. 

See the Championship table right now for their natural place in the game. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

Was Young Boys really that much of a failure? He got them into the group stages of the Champions League having got them three qualifying rounds (in at least the two previous seasons they were in the far easier Europa League) and a key reason they came third was a poor run quite early on in the season due to the fixture congestion they had. Even then, they were only just behind Basel - the thing that stands out there was the leap FC Zürich, the actual league winners, had achieved when they finished 8th the season before.

And their league-winning manager has moved to Hoffenheim.

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Was Young Boys really that much of a failure? He got them into the group stages of the Champions League having got them three qualifying rounds (in at least the two previous seasons they were in the far easier Europa League) and a key reason they came third was a poor run quite early on in the season due to the fixture congestion they had. Even then, they were only just behind Basel - the thing that stands out there was the leap FC Zürich, the actual league winners, had achieved when they finished 8th the season before.

And their league-winning manager has moved to Hoffenheim.

Young Boys are 10 points clear this season and only added 4 new players so essentially the same squad.

Can't pretend to know anything at all about the Swiss Premier League, but I'm assuming that they must essentially be the Man City of the Swiss League where delivering the title is the expectation?

Does look like it was their lowest points haul since 2014. 

I'd speculate that he just never really got the players on board, perhaps difficult to replace a man who has just delivered 3 consecutive League titles, its hard to be the man who replaces 'the man'. 

Interestingly the three titles in a row chap was sacked in October 2022 from Bayer Leverkusen, only 44, wonder if he speaks English? 🤣

I suppose apart from a few top European and EPL coaches, most will have no better than a 50/50 record. Lambert was brilliant for us but overall a failure.

But we do know that his style of football will be acceptable to all.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Young Boys are 10 points clear this season and only added 4 new players so essentially the same squad.

Can't pretend to know anything at all about the Swiss Premier League, but I'm assuming that they must essentially be the Man City of the Swiss League where delivering the title is the expectation?

Does look like it was their lowest points haul since 2014. 

I'd speculate that he just never really got the players on board, perhaps difficult to replace a man who has just delivered 3 consecutive League titles, its hard to be the man who replaces 'the man'. 

Interestingly the three titles in a row chap was sacked in October 2022 from Bayer Leverkusen, only 44, wonder if he speaks English? 🤣

The thing that stands out for me is FC Zürich. 8th out of 10 in 2020-21. Won it by 14 points the year Wagner came third, and this time they are bottom at the moment so what caused such a radical rise and fall in their performances? I know their title-winning manager went but not sure about player sales yet. Also, you say only four new players were added, but depends how good they are. After all, Skipp and Buendia for us......

44 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

In fairness, I've been vocal about my concerns RE Wagner but there is quite a lot that makes sense about it. It's just that gut feeling of a manager on a downwards trajectory I can't shake.

He's a friend of Webber so bound to get the job. His daughter Lea is also hot so Webber will want her about the place.

As a coach he's averaged 1.2 points per game everywhere he's been so we should establish as a mid table champ side which suits the Smiths. 

As Perry Groves said on Talk Sport today" Norwich City aren't interested in football or winning football matches"

3 minutes ago, Mullet said:

He's a friend of Webber so bound to get the job. His daughter Lea is also hot so Webber will want her about the place.

As a coach he's averaged 1.2 points per game everywhere he's been so we should establish as a mid table champ side which suits the Smiths. 

As Perry Groves said on Talk Sport today" Norwich City aren't interested in football or winning football matches"

I'm more interested in his friendship with Klopp to be honest.

What young talents have they got floating around at the minute that are desperate for a bit of Championship football?

Hopefully got another Harvey Elliott floating around needing a season in the Champs!

6 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Neither was he. Widely accepted to be the leader of the famous Arsenal "Tuesday Club" which would see them go on a massive bender every Tuesday and spawned an impressive number of problem drinkers included Merson and Adams, and I notice Ray Parlour is Alan Brazils constant drinking side kick these days.

17 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Had to laugh at that and not in a dismissive manner either!

27 minutes ago, Mullet said:

As a coach he's averaged 1.2 points per game everywhere he's been

For some context, 1.2 points per game in the Premier League would have you in 11th place right now, and would also have you joint 11th in the Bundesliga... 4 points behind Daniel Farke.

The only possible relevant metric to our current situation would be his points per game average in the Championship, which would clearly be excellent if anybody could be bothered to look it up.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

For some context, 1.2 points per game in the Premier League would have you in 11th place right now, and would also have you joint 11th in the Bundesliga... 4 points behind Daniel Farke.

The only possible relevant metric to our current situation would be his points per game average in the Championship, which would clearly be excellent if anybody could be bothered to look it up.

1.2 points per game in the championship would have us in 18th

1 minute ago, Mullet said:

1.2 points per game in the championship would have us in 18th

Yes but his record in the Championship isn't 1.2 points per game is it. 

42 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Perry Groves doesn't have a clue and seems to show off that fact ad nauseum.

Wagner is growing on me. There's a few I'd prefer so it wouldn't be without some disappointment, but I'd find it easy to cast it aside and get on board the Wagner train.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

There's a few I'd prefer so it wouldn't be without some disappointment, but I'd find it easy to cast it aside and get on board the Wagner train.

I mean, there are also a few that are far more depressing, like Bruce and Dyche.

57 minutes ago, Mullet said:

What an absolute pile of ****. But then you'd expect that from someone who listens to TalkSport. 

Another plus is that it wouldn't take a major repaint of the Fat Cat & Canary....

Wagner.jpg

Edited by Sooty57
Auto-correct typo nonsense
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mullet said:

Any photos ? 🤣😜

44 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What an absolute pile of ****. But then you'd expect that from someone who listens to TalkSport. 

Its the only radio station pretty much dedicated to football of course I listen to it. Talksport don't like us because we are an unambitious poorly run club. The opinion on there pretty much represents the countries view of NCFC

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes but his record in the Championship isn't 1.2 points per game is it. 

😏😂Jaysus!! Its like wading through treacle, trying to get some people to think , just a little, before they type.  🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1