Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Get Chris Hughton in.

He's taken two teams up from this division and then kept them up.

Can organise a defence.

Also, let him identify and recruit a Defensive midfielder please, he brought us Tettey.

Just don't let him sign any strikers and we'll be fine.

I think he's a far better manager than Smith. OK, watching our team in the Prem was watching paint dry, but he did more than OK twice in the Championship when he had decent players. What has Smith done? Kept Brentford in midtable for three seasons, just about taken an incredibly talented Villa team up through the playoffs, and failed miserably with us.

Just now, king canary said:

Was a spectacular failure at Forest but we'll just ignore that.

Agreed. Still has a better record overall than Smith, though.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Was a spectacular failure at Forest but we'll just ignore that.

Indeed he was - when the reins were loosened they went on a run that saw them promoted.

13 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

I would say he is top of my list... Any more to add to the list of one? 

Andriy Shevchenko.
David Wagner

Frank Lampard when he's sacked in the next few days.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, OnDaBall said:

It's a gauge of how bad things are right now if someone is seriously suggesting bringing Hughton back.

Yep.

Exactly.

I mean, he could organise a defence. He had that going for him.

Smith has got nothing going for him at all.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

11 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

It's a gauge of how bad things are right now if someone is seriously suggesting bringing Hughton back.

It’s the entire problem. The suggestions on this board have consistently been failures, has-beens or vile human beings, and that’s just those from TVB. No it won’t be Lambert, Terry, Hughton, Gerrard or any of the other frankly ludicrous suggestions!

• Like 1

Absolutely no. What's the point jumping from one manager who serves up turgid **** Football, to another who serves up the same.

We went 4 consecutive games under Hughton without a shot on target. 4 games.

I know things are bad with Smith, but at least his tenure is ending. Starting another round of this **** with Hughton does nobody any good. Can you stomach another 18 months of this rubbish?

14 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It’s the entire problem. The suggestions on this board have consistently been failures, has-beens or vile human beings, and that’s just those from TVB. No it won’t be Lambert, Terry, Hughton, Gerrard or any of the other frankly ludicrous suggestions!

Just to clarify, the John Terry one was not a serious suggestion, as was explained later in the thread. That was a long winded way of pointing out that Dean Smith happily worked alongside that cretin for 3 years and that if Dean Smith was such a "nice chap" as some would claim, then I don't think he'd have kept that sort of company.

My suggestion is Alan Neilson anyway, as caretaker/interim manager while we work out who to appoint.

Lambert failed as a manager at Livingstone and Worthington failed as a manager at Blackpool before they managed Norwich by the way, just as Teemu Pukki flopped as a player at Celtic. The idea that any candidate has to have a lifetime of never failing in a job is a bit silly and limits the pool somewhat, it would have meant that Bobby Robson would never have been Ipswich Town manager as he was sacked from his prior job after a disastrous 11 months.

Looks like Webber might finally be able to get his man Frank Lampard anyway, who will surely be gone within days, so the debate is pointless. We'll be Frank Lampard's Norwich City with Billy Gilmour coming in on loan.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I'd take Hughton in Webber's role in a heartbeat.

I'd take him as head of Defender and Defensive Midfielder recruitment, he recruited really well in those positions.

Less so in attacking positions, although there were rumours that he never actually wanted RvW and he was imposed on him by McNally. I'd have believed that a lot more if he didn't stick Hooper on the bench for half a season! 

13 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

ps. What are your suggestions? Lets hear them.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's taken two teams up from this division and then kept them up.

Can organise a defence.

Also, let him identify and recruit a Defensive midfielder please, he brought us Tettey.

Just don't let him sign any strikers and we'll be fine.

So good he had forest rooted bottom of the league last season

I think Hughton is a creative suggestion, it is really tricky appointment, Webber sounds like he is looking to leave once the take over happens - it feels like he is treading water until something happens - any new sporting director should want to craft their own narrative, and hence appoint someone to fit with that, so an experienced flexible manager.

So a solid interim seems a good idea, and Hughton is a decent call.

I wondered about Hasenhüttl, or Oscar Garcia?  

Jeez, I thought you were trolling as with the John Terry post last week. You're not actually serious, are you?!

I've never been more bored watching Norwich than seeing him try to scrap 1-0 wins at home and cling on for 0-0s away. Assuming the takeover will be complete by the summer, I'd rather have some combination of Neil Adams, Steve Weaver and Alan Neilson as caretakers. At least they are wedded to the 'pathway', and know the kind of football this club is supposed to play.

In this state I don't see any quality candidate who would want to come in with a full takeover on the horizon – even an up-and-coming manager such as Steven Schumacher might see it as too much of a risk knowing that the Attanasios might want a change of direction in six months.

If we did somehow get promoted this season we'd get decimated anyway, so writing this season off as transitional wouldn't be too bitter a pill to swallow. We'd still have parachute payments next season, plus possible investment from the Attanasios, and a fresh new coach to hopefully get us off to a good start. In the meantime, let's go back to the basic principles of NCFC and play brave attacking football on the floor, please.