Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Takeover At Coventry City

7 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Relevant to us perhaps, Coventry could be signing players instead of having to sell in January. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63656013

So there could be different owners of the club and the ground. And that article doesn't say what the club's debts amount to and how much the prospective buyer is worth.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

So there could be different owners of the club and the ground. And that article doesn't say what the club's debts amount to and how much the prospective buyer is worth.

More than our current custodians maybe. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I doubt his worth is as much as the combined wealth of our board of directors.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You missed @PurpleCanary's point. Looks like Mike Ashley will buy the ground, a local business man the club and that it is pretty much a fire sale.

12 minutes ago, BigFish said:

You missed @PurpleCanary's point. Looks like Mike Ashley will buy the ground, a local business man the club and that it is pretty much a fire sale.

The ground situation either way will trump the current set up. A fire sale will be if and when valuable players leave on mass. We from experience know all about that though don’t we. 

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Blows  any chance of getting Robins

As I said before.. He was never going to jump ship to us when he has a good thing going with them even more so when hes doing so well with them, and that was before the takeover news

Given the near certainty that new rules will limit player spending relative to the club's turnover, I think that the wealth of the clubs owner will prove even less significant than it is already.

Not owning your own ground will no doubt limit turnover, so if they have any excess money their best bet would be to try to gazump Ashley on the ground rather than buy players.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Daft reckless little club. Deserve to be in the third division with 'town'...

That daft reckless little club that are 3 points behind us with 2 games in  hand you mean ?

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

That daft reckless little club that are 3 points behind us with 2 games in  hand you mean ?

On the pitch they are doing fine, off the pitch is a different story all together, another club that nearly disappeared as a result of chasing the Premier League dream. I hope they sort themselves out off the pitch because as a football fan I hate to see any club disappear................

To me personally, one of the most memorable FA Cup Finals I've watched was Coventry's 3-2 win against Spurs in 1987....but anyway....

After their initial poor start to this Championship campaign, Coventry regardless of their current off field problems they do seem to now be looking a decent side....possibly a groundless opinion....but a decent side.... 

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

another club that nearly disappeared as a result of chasing the Premier League dream.

Is that true though? I can't recall Coventry spending massively on players or wages - wasn't it just their reckless and incompetent owners who screwed them?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Is that true though? I can't recall Coventry spending massively on players or wages - wasn't it just their reckless and incompetent owners who screwed them?

Now you're for it...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Indeed it was, they assumed the team would be in the Premier League so committed themselves to building a new, state of the art stadium on the back of that assumption, unfortunately they were relegated before they played in it and off course they never got to play Premier League football in it.  It could be argued that the potential riches of the Premier League clouded their judgement and left them with a large financial problem which they have never really recovered from..........

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Stadium now owned by Mike Ashley.. Takeover off?😂

He'll try and buy the club now, but he won't merge the stadium business and football business guaranteed.

It will be the Sports Direct Arena forever, whether he owns Coventry or not.

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Daft reckless little club. Deserve to be in the third division with 'town'...

Let go Nutty, it was 37 years ago. With your attitude everyone would refuse to drive a lovely BMW or Mercedes. 

• Haha 1

Best fans so far this season, Coventry. In the shadow of all those neighbours, good luck to the sky blues. 

• Like 1